Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,532 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

How Does OLX Make Profits? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Does OLX Make Profits? (40453 Views)

What Does OLX Stand To Gain ? / Does OLX As For Verification Use ID Card, Phcn Bill And Must See You In Person? / 4 Ways To Identify "SCAMMERS" On Most Online Market Platform Like OLX Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by AdemolaA2: 4:46pm On Nov 09, 2013
[i][/i]
kingschild123: I read through the olx page and I saw the option for paid advertisement I believe they call it the featured ad. So on the long run they are making money in a way.
.guess that's for premium users and those ads are classified ads ..
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 09, 2013
Even this thread is another Advertising scheme for OLX, by asking how does OLX make their money, and also how they pay for those adverts, people who doesn't know about OLX or who haven't seen those adverts would probably like to check em out.
Nice strategy

1 Like

Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by egbaguy: 4:52pm On Nov 09, 2013
i have always wondered too.........plus,ao does radio and tv stations make money too?
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by 360command: 4:56pm On Nov 09, 2013
mhozzis: EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE TALKING TRAFFIC but no one has stated how it really works.

*Does this traffic mean if i own a website that generates lots of visits to the site without me running any ad,I'll make money?

*Who will pay me the money pls?
all you need is publishing company such as google,yahoo etc google na d baba.you need to register under a publisher firm in other for you to make money. How to recieve the money depends on what account you have and where you from.you can receive the money throug paypal.cheque,card, depending on the publishing company you registered for.

1 Like

Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by Seequadry(m): 4:59pm On Nov 09, 2013
egbaguy: i have always wondered too.........plus,ao does radio and tv stations make money too?
Tv nd radio station keh!!! NA WA 4 Uooo
U nd akpos hu olodo pass?

1 Like

Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by egbaguy: 5:14pm On Nov 09, 2013
Seequadry:
Tv nd radio station keh!!! NA WA 4 Uooo
U nd akpos hu olodo pass?
i admit i be olodo pass akpors,abeg prof,tell me the answer to d kweshon i asked.

1 Like

Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by Ipheyemmy01(m): 5:18pm On Nov 09, 2013
naijacutee: I don't think they are making a profit yet. I think they are after market domination - and my reasons for thinking this is that they are in the same business in at least 3 African countries. I might be wrong, but I think this is their plan

- Advertise the service heavily and get everyone to know about it & use it.
- Beat competitors, dominate the market by making people familiar and comfortable with their service
- Improving the service and offer customers what they want for free (big database of items in Nigeria for sale)
- Introduce paid adverts after all this is completed - to recoup investment.

I think they can afford to take the first 4 steps above without any revenue because they have outside investment. Thus they are spending now, to by a share of the market now in the hopes that they make money from the large market share in the future.
if they should try this in naija them don enter one chance. I remem sometimes ago a waste management company came to our area to pick our dirt for free in which everyone enjoyed their service but immediately they started charging us omo everybody disown them kiakia... Wetin boola they do.
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by Adanyebe(m): 5:25pm On Nov 09, 2013
The site is built to make name and hit big on the internet before any ads system can be instroduced to generate income
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 09, 2013
ask google
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by rhames(m): 6:16pm On Nov 09, 2013
naijacutee: I don't think they are making a profit yet. I think they are after market domination - and my reasons for thinking this is that they are in the same business in at least 3 African countries. I might be wrong, but I think this is their plan

- Advertise the service heavily and get everyone to know about it & use it.
- Beat competitors, dominate the market by making people familiar and comfortable with their service
- Improving the service and offer customers what they want for free (big database of items in Nigeria for sale)
- Introduce paid adverts after all this is completed - to recoup investment.

I think they can afford to take the first 4 steps above without any revenue because they have outside investment. Thus they are spending now, to by a share of the market now in the hopes that they make money from the large market share in the future.

they make the bulk of their revenue from adsense, traffic generation and website monetisation. It is an adsense money making site. Traffic generation and website monetisations are made when clicks are made on the site from other giant shopping and social media site such as amazon.com, ebay.com and a host of others. they dont make much from what advertisers sell on their site but from the above mentioned sources.
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by pinkyruledworld(m): 6:18pm On Nov 09, 2013
chiboy1928: I design the site for OLX will gist u guys hw we make our money so keep ur finger cross be right back.
for ur mind
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by pinkyruledworld(m): 6:32pm On Nov 09, 2013
egbaguy: i have always wondered too.........plus,ao does radio and tv stations make money too?
them no dy advertise 4 ur own tv?
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by dietsono(m): 6:55pm On Nov 09, 2013
Simply T R A F F I C! ! !........as it is apparent dat they weren't charging for the services rendered to their patronisers
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by Joe50(m): 6:57pm On Nov 09, 2013
they have advert and ads were they make money... check every last three post of each page you visit within the page, you will see the advert or ads of another company.

Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by ogbonoeba: 7:31pm On Nov 09, 2013
mhozzis: OLX has adverts that feature celebrities on radio, television and other media.

So my question is: how do they cover cost for the adverts since using their service is free of charge?

I THANK WHOEVER MOVED THIS TO FRONT PAGE.ITS A SIGN THAT I'M FAVOURED IN THIS YEAR AND ALL THE PLACES I SUBMITTED MY CV WILL SOON CALL ME FOR EMPLOYMENT

It is a tech startup with a used and tried formula similar to twitter and facebook.

There value will be determined by how many users they can attract and possibly sell ads to.

Once they get they become known, they will seek money from investors and most likely be listed on the new york stock exchange. If the stock price rises and they sell enough shares, they will become "paper billionaires."

2 Likes

Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by josga: 7:38pm On Nov 09, 2013
u cn also mk moni here too http://PayLub.pw/?id=josef
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by pclever1(m): 7:56pm On Nov 09, 2013
Dat shouldn't be your problem! Mind your business @least OLX has helped the common man.I believe such post shouldn't be allowed here.you should either encourage or offer suggestions on how best to improve her services.maybe u should ask Google how they make their money.
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by mkoabiola: 7:57pm On Nov 09, 2013
For those dat av bought goods on olx,share ur xperince.
Do u pay commission.
Hw do u knw it not a stolen goods/product?
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by mhozzis(m): 8:02pm On Nov 09, 2013
pclever1: Dat shouldn't be your problem! Mind your business @least OLX has helped the common man.I believe such post shouldn't be allowed here.you should either encourage or offer suggestions on how best to improve her services.maybe u should ask Google how they make their money.
now clap for youself.
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by shakaz(m): 8:44pm On Nov 09, 2013
Met A guy in the bus today that was defruaded via OLX...

Instead of building on quantity of users why not work on quality.
The likes of Amazon and Ebay has customer protection policies.
Ebay in particular started with a single broken pen he placed on auction. oLX and Google trader on the contrary has become sites where fraudsters practice there inhumane cheap skills.

So my take is I won't attempt any deal on OLX that is not cash and carry.. My 2cent
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by egbaguy: 8:47pm On Nov 09, 2013
pinkyruledworld: them no dy advertise 4 ur own tv?
ao many advert channelstv dey show? Na so so news nah
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by wealthinfos(m): 10:05pm On Nov 09, 2013
if u ask how olx makes profit then u should be asking how NL makes her own profit too. Life is all about giving oportunities; then within you get your profit
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by ojmaroni247(m): 11:46pm On Nov 09, 2013
Olx is trying to be de biggest online marketing site,dats de point. Wen dey get large traffic to advertise on their site would be mad money,jst like advertising on google etc.
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by zetel95(m): 7:19am On Nov 10, 2013
pro_selector:

me self dey wonder

www.nairaland.com/1507688/nairaland-e-cooperative-society
guy i will advice you not to look for some one to employ you, rather employ your self in as much you are a graduate. Create a job for urself. E.G. iCT, selling of Airline Ticket with ur desktop or laptop while at home, recharge card distribution etc. Engaging ur self will command u a respect. Thanks
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by mkoabiola: 10:24am On Nov 10, 2013
zetel95:
guy i will advice you not to look for some one to employ you, rather employ your self in as much you are a graduate. Create a job for urself. E.G. iCT, selling of Airline Ticket with ur desktop or laptop while at home, recharge card distribution etc. Engaging ur self will command u a respect. Thanks
Pls,do u sell airline tickets?
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by KenNetwork(m): 11:31pm On Nov 10, 2013
OLX makes serious money through Google Adsense. Check all the adverts in there and you will see them below.

OLX could be making 10K to 100K dollars monthly through adsense.
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Nov 10, 2013
Olx is funded by investors in and out of Africa, all advert done by Olx is to gain the market and the general public to knw abt it. The investors of Olx arr all long term investors. I think they will continue to offer free services for additional 10 to 20 years. Don't worry they will get bk all dere capital wen they start charging for dere services. Same like mocality dere was a problem between the investors and mocality thts y mocality shut down. Hope u guys still remember mocality business directory.
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by naijacutee(f): 11:56pm On Nov 10, 2013
KenNetwork: OLX makes serious money through Google Adsense. Check all the adverts in there and you will see them below.

OLX could be making 10K to 100K dollars monthly through adsense.

While they are campaigning for traffic, I seriously doubt that they make that much from Adsense.
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by andywaves(m): 11:56pm On Nov 10, 2013
Olx bought over an indigenous site so they had an existing marketshare n like all online sites they make their money by numbers the more the traffic the more the money

same as all social sites n bloggers say about 2 dollars per click and you need at least 200k clicks to ur site a day to be monetised u can do d maths n u find out that d most lucrative place to be is online

so d next time u want to watch that scandalous video on utube or read dat hot gossip on lindy's blog just remember someone is smiling to d bank n it might jus be me
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by Caprison(m): 1:08am On Nov 11, 2013
Plz wanna ask...how do I make money as a blogger....Email me via caprison.so@gmail.com so we can hook up a deal on how u gat paid on any piece of info u I receive from u cool cool
Re: How Does OLX Make Profits? by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 11, 2013
[size=15pt]What's OLX please?[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Warri Billionaire Ayiri Emami & Son Dress To Match / Nigerian Doctor Left In Shock After Breaking Her Piggy Bank & Found N600. Pics / Would You Buy This Japa Sales For N5000?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.