Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell (1337 Views)

Where Is Abubakar Shekau? - Ambassador John Campbell / John Campbell: "Jonathan Remains Likely Winner Of Elections" / Ambassador John Campbell: The New Voice Of Doom By Ochuwa Temisan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by Nobody: 1:16am On Nov 08, 2013
Contrary to reports by Forbes who said Nigeria only has 2 US dollar billionaires and contrary to Ventures-Africa which put the number at 20, former ambassador of the US to Nigeria, Ambassador Campbell (2004 - 2007) in his book titled "Nigeria - Dancing on the brink" has revealed that there are at least 115 US dollar billionaires in Nigeria (revealed to him by a top New York bank executive having intelligence on ofshore accounts and asset records). Meaning not less than 115 nigerians are worth at the very least N160bn naira in cash and assets (largely stolen). He stated this while describing the corruption in the Nigeria and the immense poverty plaguing the nation. Here are excepts of the book: (Read Page 13 for reference)

http://books.google.com/books?id=kHz3-yY162YC&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=115+billionaires+in+Nigeria+john+campbell&source=bl&ots=yHp3NioMTo&sig=e5WmetTMU5Y7Vna5aEX14LaqKTE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-St8UqyiNu_riQLQ8oBI&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=115%20billionaires%20in%20Nigeria%20john%20campbell&f=false

1 Like

Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by ChuckD1(m): 3:17am On Nov 08, 2013
Ok Mr Ambassador, let's have some names.
Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by Xfactoria: 3:36am On Nov 08, 2013
Chuck D.:
Ok Mr Ambassador, let's have some names.

You need names? Just Look around you dude......See Tinubu, Fashola, OBJ, IBB, Abdulsalam, GEJ, all former Governors, Bank Chiefs, Past and present NNPC bosses, Past and present Police Chiefs, Past and present militants (Asari Dokubo just built a University) etc.

You will find out that statement is even an understatement!!!

2 Likes

Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by Nobody: 5:54am On Nov 08, 2013
Mod this should be a frontpage topic.
Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by Nobody: 6:01am On Nov 08, 2013
Just imagine what that wealth would have done to Nigeria!
Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by Tolexander: 6:16am On Nov 08, 2013
Hope this man doesn't visit nairaland, counting people like yuzedo and billyonaire?

To be sincere, they are more than what Mr Campbell said!

2 Likes

Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 08, 2013
Tolexander: Hope this man doesn't visit nairaland, counting people like yuzedo and billyonaire?

To be sincere, they are more than what Mr Campbell said!

It was revealed "at least"
Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by Blazinraj01(f): 6:27am On Nov 08, 2013
Nice One
Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by kokoA(m): 6:33am On Nov 08, 2013
Mr Campbellz are you a learner? I can take anything from you, but I won't have you underestimate the number of our national looters. At all! 115 is very small, must this white people cheat us all the time? Dem must give us our award o, we have nothing less than 4times that number sir!
Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 08, 2013
kokoA: Mr Campbellz are you a learner? I can take anything from you, but I won't have you underestimate the number of our national looters. At all! 115 is very small, must this white people cheat us all the time? Dem must give us our award o, we have nothing less than 4times that number sir!

You are just estimating based on perception. Campbell is not guessing he is speaking based on banking intelligence. The fact you hear billions stolen everyday does not mean that everyone who has stolen money in Nigeria is a dollar billionaire. By the way these figures are both legitimate and illegitimate billionaires...so this will include Alhaji Dangote, Mike Adenuga, Alakija et al.
Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by kokoA(m): 6:57am On Nov 08, 2013
cramjones:

You are just estimating based on perception. Campbell is not guessing he is speaking based on banking intelligence. The fact you hear billions stolen everyday does not mean that everyone who has stolen money in Nigeria is a dollar billionaire. By the way these figures are both legitimate and illegitimate billionaires...so this will include Alhaji Dangote, Mike Adenuga, Alakija et al.
"The banking intelligence" you claimed can only capture "less-smart" looters. The smarter ones spread their loots across diverse accounts using various proxy names.

1 Like

Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by trillville(m): 7:10am On Nov 08, 2013
This is why we need Buhari. If he does not jail the looters, he will shoot them.
Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by Nobody: 7:24am On Nov 08, 2013
kokoA: "The banking intelligence" you claimed can only capture "less-smart" looters. The smarter ones spread their loots across diverse accounts using various proxy names.

Not true. No one keeps 1 billion dollars in one account. Even though people use proxies, there is a limit to which they can open an account with a proxy. Looters don't trust people like that even their wives. There is a limit! I still maintain the fact that you hear people are stealing money does not mean all of them are billionaires in USD. It takes a lot of stealing to steal $1 billion. For example the total deposits as of 2011 in First bank one of NIgeria's biggest banks is less than $2billion with thousands if not millions of customers. Even if the "less smart" ones as you asserted use proxies, are you telling me that a theif will have 10 proxies keeping say $100 million for him? I don't think so...no theif will take that risk, the proxies will only keep accounts not more than 7 digits. It is VERY VERY hard to COVER up being a billionaire from big banks in US and UK.

1 Like

Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by Nobody: 7:25am On Nov 09, 2013
cramjones:

Not true. No one keeps 1 billion dollars in one account. Even though people use proxies, there is a limit to which they can open an account with a proxy. Looters don't trust people like that even their wives. There is a limit! I still maintain the fact that you hear people are stealing money does not mean all of them are billionaires in USD. It takes a lot of stealing to steal $1 billion. For example the total deposits as of 2011 in First bank one of NIgeria's biggest banks is less than $2billion with thousands if not millions of customers. Even if the "less smart" ones as you asserted use proxies, are you telling me that a theif will have 10 proxies keeping say $100 million for him? I don't think so...no theif will take that risk, the proxies will only keep accounts not more than 7 digits. It is VERY VERY hard to COVER up being a billionaire from big banks in US and UK.

Interesting. Then again, stashing away billions is a complex art. . . .using proxies is only one dimension. Ever heard of 'shell' corporations? 'Letter-box' companies? Numbered accounts? etc etc? My brother, money laundering is extremely sophisticated these days, and if you use the most knowledgeable and experienced money launderers, it is possible to 'hide' billions of dollars from prying eyes.

Ask shadowy characters like Gilbert Chagoury ad his crooked brothers. They are probably the best in the game. They are largely responsible for laundering Bola Tinubu's billions, not only in terms of investments in Nigeria (including Eko Hotel, as I recently found out), but also in cash stashed away in offshore accounts.

1 Like

Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by lovat(m): 8:01am On Nov 09, 2013
cramjones:

Just a question. Do you know d meaning of offshore accounts? Stop advertising ignorance on this page and go back and read the post again.
Re: At Least 115 dollar-Billonaires In Nigeria - Ambassador John Campbell by Nobody: 4:31am On Oct 18, 2014
I like this old troll cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

FG Should Negotiate With Boko Haram – Tambuwal / Cameroonian Army Bomb Boko Haram Camp / I Will Stand By President Jonathan Till The End —gov Isa Yuguda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.