Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,812 members, 7,810,116 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. (1316 Views)

Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? / 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine / Difference Between 4 And 6 Cylinder Engines? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. by kakameks: 11:54am On Nov 11, 2013
Hi all,

Am was researching crossover SUV's , my main criteria being power, AWD option and average MPG. i know there are some V6 and V8 engines that electronically shut down two or more cylinders when there is less demand for power and reactivates them when more power is required.

I have forgotten the terminology given to this phenomenon, my question is this if this technology is now available in commercial cars which models are they in and when does this shut down occur? in traffic? city or highway driving?

or to be specific does the lexus RX models (from 300 to 350) have this option?
Re: 6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. by kakameks: 12:26pm On Nov 11, 2013
Did some more research and found out that the honda uses a system VCM, (Variable Cylinder Management) to shut down two or even three of it V6 engine model when cruising. The model mentioned is the 2008 accord v6 (except for a particular brand of coupe)

More model and makes of other vehicles that offer this tech will be appreciated.
Re: 6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. by Cyberknight: 1:27pm On Nov 11, 2013
GM has something called Active Fuel Management and I believe Daimler has something along those lines too, I forget its precise name.
Re: 6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. by earthrealm(m): 2:49pm On Nov 11, 2013
I think you shud just check the avg mpg for the car of interest from the manufacturers data sheet......
the manufacturer has already taken that into consideration when computing the mpg for the given car
Re: 6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. by omar22(m): 3:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
I think one of the Formula 1 cars shuts down 4 cylinders and uses 4 when going through a slow corner, this prevents oversteer of the tires
Re: 6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. by Lexusgs430: 6:29am On Nov 13, 2013
I do not think any of the cylinders shut down, not unless your vehicle is fitted with cylinder deactivation feature.
Re: 6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. by Lexusgs430: 6:30am On Nov 13, 2013
.I do not think any of the cylinders shut down, not unless your vehicle is fitted with cylinder deactivation feature.
Re: 6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. by Lexusgs430: 6:32am On Nov 13, 2013
Re: 6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. by Nobody: 6:49pm On Feb 13, 2015
...memory lane...
Re: 6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. by Nobody: 7:38pm On Feb 13, 2015
Lexusgs430:
I do not think any of the cylinders shut down, not unless your vehicle is fitted with cylinder deactivation feature.

Correct.
Re: 6 or More Cylinder Engines. If And When Does Two Of The Six Cylinders Shut Down. by lonelydora: 6:31am On Feb 14, 2015
omar22:
I think one of the Formula 1 cars shuts down 4 cylinders and uses 4 when going through a slow corner, this prevents oversteer of the tires
Are you serious?

(1) (Reply)

To My Greatest Dismay / Decotech In Aba. (2wks Free Scan) CLOSED / Advice On Overheating Of Honda Eod

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.