Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,926 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:50 AM

How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? (23505 Views)

Alleged Fraud In Multi-billion Naira Firm:Forgery Scandal In CAC. / New Fraud In Town! Samarium Care. Please Beware Of These Guys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Blackcat(f): 3:02pm On Oct 15, 2008
@ olapet

God bless you.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 15, 2008
We can only stop fraud by making our government do all the fraudulent activities on behalf of the citizens for the benefit of the citizens just like the US and UK.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 3:10pm On Oct 15, 2008
Seun:

One significant question is, who are we fighting fraud for?
Are we fighting fraud just so Nigerians abroad won't be embarrassed?
Yes, the embarrasment caused to "Nigerians abroad" (whoever they aresmiley) is one thing. More importantly, we have the future of our children plus the brand of our country to protect (Yes, it is in our hands). And yes it would be nice also, to type "Nigeria" into Yahoo! Answers, and not be met with a torrent of abuse.  

nobilia:

We can only stop fraud by making our government do all the fraudulent activities on behalf of the citizens for the benefit of the citizens just like the US and UK.

The one they are doing isn't enough already?
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 15, 2008
@kenflipper, I am really interested in knowing what you wrote because it seems interesting. Can you pls summarize it cos i'm too lazy to read it all. I'm serious.

Sorry to say but our govt isnt ready to fight fraud/crime. The first and most important step to fight fraud/crime is knowing your citizens. thats the biggest tool the civilized world use in fighting fraud. Our politicians are dirty and if we implement operation know your citizens in Nigeria (Citizens identification/DNA data base)they will all be exposed. Right now everyone in Nigeria is invincible to one another so its a safe place for crime to strive.
Nigerians are very smart breeds they think deep and wide on how to twist and bend and game the system so in creating a citizens data base there must be DNA identification to prevent finger print fraud. If i was the president, I would propose chip implants identification, but thats for another topic for another day.
Everyone going into the cafe for internet useage should register their identification card number veirfiable by the attendant and also finger print and sign time in/out he/she entered the cafe! what pc he/she uses thats all we need, in turn the policing bodies (EFCC or ICPC) should have a computer forensic department. It is a known fact that know matter how u delect information from the pc it can still be extracted via computer forensic. the computer forensic dept will come at specific times to scan all pc in cafes, tho' the process can be pain-taking it should be done to arrest these criminals.  fraud information found on pc will be corrolated wit time used and compared to the signed register to figure out who was on the pc at that time,when concluded the the EFCC will process the finger print and go for the kill to swoop on the scammers,  easy as ABC. Robbers who rob banks/homes or buses can be caught wit a citizens DNA data base if those crimes scenes are properly preserved after the crime. Apart from processing finger prints saliva can be processed for specific DNA that can be scaned on the DNA data base for specific individuals. humans tend to loose body hairs while under duress, fear or shock. Criminals do loose alot of body hair during crime, if crime scenes are properly preserved it can be processed wit neonlights at night for specific evidence as hair/saliva/prints and other specific items that might drop from the robbers during raid, wit the combined help of CCTV all robbers would be caught even after they have perfected their crime. Footage from CCTV should be place on TV for the public to assist the police wit information. There should be a single data base for bank clients controlled by CBN and the policing authorities should be given access to it when requested. That is how it is done here in the USA, i mean even tho' USA doesnt make use of implant identification its the highest form of security and it is now been contemplated for convicted criminal for dispeakable crimes like sex offenders and first degree murders so that they can be easily identified by the public after serving their jail term. Some are even calling for tatoo of crime committed on the criminals forehead.

Also we should have a solid offender data base where a back-ground check can always be done weather u are 10yrs old or 100yrs old once u commit a crime u will be registered under the offenders data base. Nigeria embassies abroad should inform the police department in their respective countries to inform them when ever a Nigerian is arrest that way they can also be registered so that when they get their degree and go back home because they criminal record wont allow them a job abroad, their criminal records will prevent them from gaming the system, that way if u seek employ into govt agencies/banks/oil firm or private companies/or even participating in Guilder ultimate search, such will have to do a background check on the employee to make sure that he/she don't have a criminal record before employment, having a criminal background automatically disqualifies you. that way only honest hard working people will always get the best of the society. If such is implemented we certainly wont have cultism in school and prostitution in school by young girls will automatically stop that way, what u do today determines ur future tomorrow, and there will be enough open jobs for good people. Your inability to secure a job will largely means u personally disqualified yourself wit wht u did few years back. Banks would not lend money to those wit history of crime and that way there will be sanity good and geniue people who need money for business or emergencies can walk into the bank and get such at a low interest rate, bingo!, the system will be up and runing again better than what it was in the 60s/70s after the britis left us after our leader said they were man and old enough to handle the affairs of the country meanwhile what they meant was they were man and old enough to STEAL. while those of us who miss eba and amala will come home.
And there will be enough open jobs for good people. Your inability to secure a job will largely means u personally disqualified yourself wit wht u did few years back
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by JJYOU: 3:18pm On Oct 15, 2008
Seun:

what happens to living right?
nobilia:

nigeria nigeria. it is like some people can only function in a lawless and caotic environment
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by courage89(m): 3:27pm On Oct 15, 2008
Who are we fighting fraud for?

The war against fraud is to combat crime that we believe is detrimental to our society and environs. The idea is to make sure justice prevails and make sure expectations of thing are in line with reality. Change the norms of all you need is a laptop within your bedroom and you’ll become millionaire overnight. All these big time corruptions in corporations, government scandals start from these stages…I guess the question is how do we stop fraud from manifesting into corruption where we feel the impact the most.

Yes our international reputation is important, but not as important compared to fending for our future. The future of our country lies on our upcoming youth. Fraud and corruption needs to be combated effectively so that we can change the mentality/culture that has stagnate our economy for a long time, and lay good foundation for our upcoming generation to pounce on.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 3:31pm On Oct 15, 2008
Seun:

what's happening to seun? i really fear for this dude o
the amount of  xxxxxxxx  he talks these days is worrying
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 3:39pm On Oct 15, 2008
you will notice that some posters with dodgy business actually post their mobile numbers AND ACCOUNT NUMBERS WITH THEIR FULL NAMES and sometimes their address so brazenly you'd think to yourself if they actually dont know what they are doing is fraud or they are fully aware of their actions and nobody can stop them!!

I think its about time banks, mobile companies and the police start collaborating to get rid of these people since all the evidence is online!! their names, bank details and phone numbers!! its not really difficult if you think about it; hopefully the SIM registration initiative becomes compulsory and not just theory.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by carmelily: 3:46pm On Oct 15, 2008
nobilia:

seconded cool grin

JJYOU:

nigeria nigeria. it is like some people can only function in a lawless and caotic environment
@JJYOU

You miss the point in nobilia's post.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by JustGood(m): 4:34pm On Oct 15, 2008
Who will combat fraud when there is fraud and corruption almost everywhere you turn to? Almost everyone is involved!!!

The nation is sick!!!
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by gamechange(m): 4:49pm On Oct 15, 2008
Question: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria?
Answer: Do nothing, you just cannot, forget it, just go to bed, dont even bother, you must be having a smoke.

Nigeria and Corruption are joined at the hips, What Nigerian Leaders have joined together, let no man put asunder.

Gamechange is shaking his head and falling asleep, please wake me up when pigs start flying.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 4:52pm On Oct 15, 2008
Seun:

Unfortunately this has caused significant harm to Nigeria's international reputation and has created the strong, inaccurate, perception that all business emanating from the country or involving Nigerians is fundamentally dangerous.[71] This has the immediate effect of making it impossible for people in Nigeria to perform legitimate business transactions online as many vendors (such as eBay, Alibaba and Go Daddy) either automatically close accounts created by Nigerian or people residing in Nigeria or bar access to Nigerian IP addresses. Legitimate emails and letters sent by people residing in Nigeria or Nigerian are routinely ignored, irrespective of the content, for fear of being fraud related. More recently there have been calls within the web administrator community to ban or block all Nigerian IP addresses, which would effectively isolate Nigeria from interacting with the rest of the internet.[72][73][74][75][76][77] Understandably the economic impact of this type of crime makes victims of not only the defrauded victims but also the innocent majority of Nigerians and Nigerian residents, who are severely restricted from interacting with the rest of the world on a level playing field.[78]

nigeria-crime
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by krazynaija(m): 4:57pm On Oct 15, 2008
@POSTER
   Who cares?  sad angry
 NIGERIA IS FRAUD ! WE ARE ALL FRAUDSTERS ALL WE NEED IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO FRAUD SOMEONE.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by janami(f): 7:00pm On Oct 15, 2008
Like a saying goes, if the head is not good, how can the bottom be good? combating fraud strts with combating corrupt govt officials
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by ima1(f): 7:45pm On Oct 15, 2008
kill all those in power right now lol
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by subice(m): 8:33pm On Oct 15, 2008
The number one thing to do is for us to start practicing federalism as it should be. There is too much power at the center. The are many good ideas some people have mentioned but they would only be effective when states have their own police, education curriculum etc. This would ensure that when you have a state governor that is ready to tackle the issue or with good ideas, he would not be held back by the center. Any progress made can then have a ripple effect, however gradually.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:02pm On Oct 15, 2008
Ok people are always jumping ahead of themselves, but I think if we look closely we would see the picture a lot clearer, first of all let me point out that I am not saying fraud is right, no, I am asking about the moral stance of the people who think Nigeria is so bad, what do they know about what their governments have done to Africa?

Ok let us start from slavery, when you type the names of the countries in Europe that majored in dastardly act how many times do you come up with slavery? eh?
Next they left their borders to come and colonise us, plundered our wealth and built their countries, they were never fair us, look at all the companies operating in oil producing areas, what have they done to better lives even to this day who is complaining? really who are they fooling?

After plundering our wealth and making us fight against each other they are turning around to say the peanuts this over zealous yahoo boys collect is their problem, just because their own form of fraud is legalised does not mean it is not there, and its time we open our eyes to see.

Globally, in 2006, most scammers operated from the United States.  The U.S. still held a huge lead in active internet users then, a gap that has since closed considerably.  In 2008, China and the U.S. each have approximately 200 million internet users, and most of the world has grow commensurately.  As the user populations have grown abroad, so have their scammer populations.  Several countries stand out in 2008 as have disproportionately huge populations of scammers: Nigeria, Romania, the Netherlands and China. Lottery and fake money transfer (AFF)frauds seem to be the specialty of the Nigerians. The United States still leads in Identity Thefy and Phishing/Spoofing frauds.
Source http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org
Check out these stats

Has anyone here ever read the profile of Columbia?   I mean they are as bad as any country can get but they never get mentioned, PUHLEEEEEEZZZZZ enough of their lies.

As for ways to combat it, simple set up plans to take their mind away, set up hacking games with huge cash prizes, lets be innovative!

As for solution to keep the boys busy give them alternatives it
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Oct 15, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

Ok people are always jumping ahead of themselves, but I think if we look closely we would see the picture a lot clearer, first of all let me point out that I am not saying fraud is right, no, I am asking about the moral stance of the people who think Nigeria is so bad, what do they know about what their governments have done to Africa?

Ok let us start from slavery, when you type the names of the countries in Europe that majored in dastardly act how many times do you come up with slavery? eh?
Next they left their borders to come and colonise us, plundered our wealth and built their countries, they were never fair us, look at all the companies operating in oil producing areas, what have they done to better lives even to this day who is complaining? really who are they fooling?

After plundering our wealth and making us fight against each other they are turning around to say the peanuts this over zealous yahoo boys collect is their problem, just because their own form of fraud is legalised does not mean it is not there, and its time we open our eyes to see.
Source http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org
Check out these stats

Has anyone here ever read the profile of Columbia? I mean they are as bad as any country can get but they never get mentioned, PUHLEEEEEEZZZZZ enough of their lies.

As for ways to combat it, simple set up plans to take their mind away, set up hacking games with huge cash prizes, lets be innovative!

As for solution to keep the boys busy give them alternatives it

I believe the topic clearly states "How can we combat fraud in Nigeria"
Who cares if columbia is more corrupt.
What relevance does slavery have to do with this.
Abeg focus on the solutions to combat fraud and stop crying like a baby
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:39pm On Oct 15, 2008
@A-Town

After all my years of using the internet, it is beginning to get rather annoying that the word "fraud" seems to be synonymous with "Nigeria". One simple exercise: Go to http://uk.answers.yahoo.com Type in "Nigeria" and read the questions and their responses. I guarantee you that 99.5% of the time, in every question, there has been a negative response with the word "scam" in it, just because the word "Nigeria" has been mentioned. Yes, very country has dishonest people in it, and varying levels of fraud exists in every government, society and organisation regardless of what appears on the surface. But look at the state we are in - No one in the world will trust you at first instance, simply because you are a Nigerian.

You can roll back to where you were hiding did you miss that part of the initial post, did you even read any post at all?? Why would I focus on any solution when 90% is propaganda, abeg go and sidon jo, na una join dem dey spoil this country image. *Hisses loudly* men if you no know wetin to talk go lick stew.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by skfa1: 10:30pm On Oct 15, 2008
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:36pm On Oct 15, 2008
@skfa1
See why I dey vex which kind rubbish be all that Imagine.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by skfa1: 10:47pm On Oct 15, 2008
I don't support fraud  though.

But what I want you guys to know is that, every nation does it but in different ways.

Western world (advance ways), Africans (Open ways).

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=184041.msg2950174#msg2950174
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by OBVIOUS(m): 10:49pm On Oct 15, 2008
if the head is not good, how can the bottom be good? combating fraud strts with combating corrupt govt officials

good point.

But how about the positive publicity that Nigerians are among the most educated in the world. wink
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by OBVIOUS(m): 10:52pm On Oct 15, 2008
I agree with skfa1. Every country is corrupt. In fact, the western world is the worst when it comes to corruption and exploitation. The difference is that Nigerians do things at the expense of its citizens and noble people.

The western world on the other hand, does things to benefits thier citizens and noble people therefore, its look at and examined differently though its the same crime.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:04pm On Oct 15, 2008
OBVIOUS:

I agree with skfa1. Every country is corrupt. In fact, the western world is the worst when it comes to corruption and exploitation. The difference is that Nigerians do things at the expense of its citizens and noble people.

The western world on the other hand, does things to benefits their citizens and noble people therefore, its look at and examined differently though its the same crime.

Seconded!

We are amongst the most educated if not the most educated in Africa how many of em gizmos ever say that its just prejudice jo
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by skfa1: 11:04pm On Oct 15, 2008
OBVIOUS:

The western world on the other hand, does things to benefits their citizens and noble people therefore, its look at and examined differently though its the same crime.

I feel you bro, and I really understand you.

"exploitation"   Meeennnn those western people can exploit you.

"Nigerians do things at the expense of its citizens and noble people"  Exactly Nigerians will just spoil the whole place or system and will not think about others which I think is not good.

"The western world on the other hand,does things to benefits their citizens and noble people therefore"  Hehe ,  Goverment stealling for the citizen.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Gbosko: 11:34pm On Oct 15, 2008
Guys, Crime in Nigeria is different from crime in any other place. In Nigeria, the government is the main crime machine, politicians and govt officials are the operators, and the citizens are the foot soldiers. I think self consolatory statements like "After all, there is fraud in every country" are simplistic and simply diversive from the real nature of the canker worm that has eaten up Nigeria.
I'm an honest, hardworking, and God fearing Nigerian who lives abroad. Out here, daily, I try to stand tall "proudly Nigerian" but men, is it difficult to convince even the most receptive foreigner? Is there really anything to be proud about our way of life? Nof said.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by ibrahim007: 8:34am On Oct 16, 2008
I guess building the world's largest prison(male & female) in the middle of that big river beside third main brigde.After executing the project,we'll then start to incacerate people like Obasanjo(ultimate gorilla),alongside iyabo,IBB,we all know 'em all.Then,we starting breeding new,fresh,young nigerians that can do the job and threating em that they'll join them dere if they try to abuse their office.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by ajayi1(m): 8:50am On Oct 16, 2008
Well i read the link: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AhBVGgNwyytTIfUc4n57y2FJBgx.;_ylv=3?qid=20071012063346AARFNii
It a bad discussion. What i can say is that Nigeria is not that strong in fraud most other country are Worse than NIgeria. I will like us to stop talking about Nigeria scam becos that pulled ppl's to say the wrong thing.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by drossy(m): 9:15am On Oct 16, 2008
plssss lts get somethings straight, corruption is not THE cause of our problems.it is a result!! our problems started with the mental,intellectual and administrative laziness of our leaders leading to a survival syndrome called corruption.a country where no structures to support u out of office breeds corruption which has GROWN so big!!

secondly, WOLE soyinka once said, no country has ever had a successful evolution without it being led by thhe elite-----meaning unless the Nigerian elite decide that enough is enough,no matter how small that group may be,its a no-show situation.so this issue that it begins with the grassroot is crap!

thirdly,a german exchange student,during our days in med school once told me that its human to be corrupt--everyman seeks an easier means but the difference between the nigerians and others, he noted was that, at any point where a choice had to bbe made between my money or the countrys progress, the nigerian chooses himself unlike the germans. thats why cash meant 4 infrastructures is diverted.

another factor i noticed is the black /nigerian tradition, it promotes WORSHIP!!! that why our politicians would rather spend millions donating to 'the less privilegded' than providing them with ways of fishing themselves!
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by drossy(m): 9:17am On Oct 16, 2008
one more thing, we need an efficient reward system in nigeria, punish the evil and elevate the good
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:41am On Oct 16, 2008
Okay this is just to correct the notion about how corrupt nigeria is.
In my opinion, Nigeria has always been the most corrupt and fraudulent nation in the world.
The only reason there is so much noise right now is because of the internet
The internet only made scamming easier for nigerians and it also enabled foreigners to get a whole load of what the scammers have been doing.
Before the internet they used to be called 19 boys or something like that. The internet only opened it up to every tom dick n harry.
Correct me if i am wrong, but hasn't the National Arts theatre in surulere been sold like 3 times to foreigners,
Rather than refute it, i think its high time it is embraced and maybe the stigma will go down.
Every little kid in Nigeria wants to be a Minister, Senator, and Governor, no one wants be a doctor, engineer and the likes anymore simply because everyone wants to steal money.
It's not even sad anymore, it is just funny. On a recent trip in Lagos, I was stopped by the police and i didn't have my license on me, and told him i didn't have any money. He openly told me that there are ATM's around, i couldn't help but burst out, shameless nation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Aroms Aigbehi: I Came to Invest In Edo, Now They Want to Kill My Wife & Me / 7 Ways To Avoid Unnecessary Bank Charges / 6 Things Nigerian CEOs Need To Care About After Trump’s Triumph

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.