Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

A Thread For People With Eye Problem. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Thread For People With Eye Problem. (3422 Views)

Meet Woman Who Cures Eye Problem By Licking Eyes / Have Any Eye Problem Ask The Eye Doctor / Eye Problem And Waist Pain Solution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Zeebah23(f): 3:36pm On Nov 17, 2013
Share your experience ; how it started, the embarrassments, the challenges you faced and how you overcame them. there are cases of people who were teased, some were even nicknamed.
I'll go first. I am shortsighted and i've been using glasses since 2005. The specification of my 'current ' glasses is -5.00.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Obinnau(m): 3:47pm On Nov 17, 2013
been using mine since 2005. started after complications from drugs used on me when I was suffering from hepatitis. then people will stare at me and it made me go be shy then. but I overcame it by looking at people eyeball to eyeball and they will look away. at times now I feel like as If am different. I would want to do things without it, but I can't take it out for Long. mine is -7.5 semi order.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Zeebah23(f): 3:54pm On Nov 17, 2013
Same here. People stare at me especially at night. Some even go as far as asking why I still have it on at night . But with time, I started making jokes about it such that the person who tries to insult me ends up being embarrassed.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Obinnau(m): 3:57pm On Nov 17, 2013
Zeebah23: Same here. People stare at me especially at night. Some even go as far as asking why I still have it on at night . But with time, I started making jokes about it such that the person who tries to insult me ends up being embarrassed.
same with me o. at times I just skip the questions.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Zeebah23(f): 3:59pm On Nov 17, 2013
Obinnau: same with me o. at times I just skip the questions.
so,how often do you change your glasses?
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Obinnau(m): 4:01pm On Nov 17, 2013
6 to 8 months. but that depends on how fast it broke o grin or scratch
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Emmyk(m): 4:06pm On Nov 17, 2013
Am I allowed here? Just to peep; no eye problem. I have friends with this problem, it that counts. embarassed Could learn one or two things for them wink
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Zeebah23(f): 4:12pm On Nov 17, 2013
Emmyk: Am I allowed here? Just to peep; no eye problem. I have friends with this problem, it that counts. embarassed
grab a seat, u r welcome.
Obinnau: 6 to 8 months. but that depends on how fast it broke o grin or scratch
you are careless with it,i guess.
I'm not any better though,i've broken two -the very first I got and the one I used before this. .
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Neduzze5(m): 5:00pm On Nov 17, 2013
I used to have short sightedness until TB Joshua's sticker healed my eyes and gave me long sightedness. Sister Zeebah can testify to that grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Gboliwe: 10:45pm On Nov 17, 2013
What does the measurement 5 and 7.5 represent? Which is better?
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by lineal: 1:22am On Nov 18, 2013
Neduzze5: I used to have short sightedness until TB Joshua's sticker healed my eyes and gave me long sightedness. Sister Zeebah can testify to that grin cheesy

me too. shocked i used to have tunnel vision, squeezing my face all kinda way, until pastor adeboye slapped me upside my head! my eyes cleared kia-kia! grin
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Zeebah23(f): 5:56am On Nov 18, 2013
Gboliwe: What does the measurement 5 and 7.5 represent? Which is better?
it depends on how serious the problem is. A friend mine uses -4.00, if I use it, my vision will be clear but not as it would be with my own. And if use anything higher than than, my eyes will ache. The reason people with perfect eyes sight complain whenever they wear someone else's glasses is because their retinas do not need help.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Vivly(f): 12:25am On Nov 19, 2013
Neduzze5: I used to have short sightedness until TB Joshua's sticker healed my eyes and gave me long sightedness. Sister Zeebah can testify to that grin cheesy
lineal:

me too. shocked i used to have tunnel vision, squeezing my face all kinda way, until pastor adeboye slapped me upside my head! my eyes cleared kia-kia! grin
Are you guys joking?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Jimbadly: 6:47am On Nov 19, 2013
Zeebah23: Same here. People stare at me especially at night. Some even go as far as asking why I still have it on at night . But with time, I started making jokes about it such that the person who tries to insult me ends up being embarrassed.

You should try contact lens. I used to feel embarassed when people asked me why I still wear my glasses at night until I got meself a pair of contact lens. I used to look nerdy in my pair of spectacles, but not anymore. The contacts have dramatically changed my life. For the past 2 years I have never worn spectacles outdoors, I just put on my contacts and nobody can ever tell I have a visual aid. It has made life much easier for me, made me more confident and less self-conscious. It has a lot of advantages; 1. Very convenient 2. No need to wipe anything once you have them on 3. You can have them on even when it's raining. 4. When you put on the colourless type, nobody will know you have anything on your eye. etc. In my opinion it is much better than wearing spectacles.

However, you need to be extremely careful when using one. Read all about it before you decide to buy it. The most important thing about using contact lens is that you must wash your hands with mild soap before putting it on, and before removing it from your eyes. This is to prevent the chances of transferring germs and pathogens to your eyes. The effect of germs to your eyes can be devastating.

There are many types of contact lenses, there are extended wear contact lenses you can wear for many days even when sleeping. There are daily disposables you can wear during the day and throw them away at night and put on fresh ones the next day, they are the safest. I make use of the one that can last for 3 - 6 months. I use them during the day, remove them at night and soak them in contact lens solution. You should never wear them when sleeping, even extended wear types, because your eyes need oxygen at night. The soft gel types should be handled with care cos they are not as tough as rubber.

N.B: Your first few weeks of using one can be a little bit difficult until you get used to it.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Zeebah23(f): 7:54am On Nov 19, 2013
Jimbadly:

You should try contact lens. I used to feel embarassed when people asked me why I still wear my glasses at night until I got meself a pair of contact lens. I used to look nerdy in my pair of spectacles, but not anymore. The contacts have dramatically changed my life. For the past 2 years I have never worn spectacles outdoors, I just put on my contacts and nobody can ever tell I have a visual aid. It has made life much easier for me, made me more confident and less self-conscious. It has a lot of advantages; 1. Very convenient 2. No need to wipe anything once you have them on 3. You can have them on even when it's raining. 4. When you put on the colourless type, nobody will know you have anything on your eye. etc. In my opinion it is much better than wearing spectacles.

However, you need to be extremely careful when using one. Read all about it before you decide to buy it. The most important thing about using contact lens is that you must wash your hands with mild soap before putting it on, and before removing it from your eyes. This is to prevent the chances of transferring germs and pathogens to your eyes. The effect of germs to your eyes can be devastating.

There are many types of contact lenses, there are extended wear contact lenses you can wear for many days even when sleeping. There are daily disposables you can wear during the day and throw them away at night and put on fresh ones the next day, they are the safest. I make use of the one that can last for 3 - 6 months. I use them during the day, remove them at night and soak them in contact lens solution. You should never wear them when sleeping, even extended wear types, because your eyes need oxygen at night. The soft gel types should be handled with care cos they are not as tough as rubber.

N.B: Your first few weeks of using one can be a little bit difficult until you get used to it.
"WOW, WOW, WOW! I've never given it a thought. I only think about the side effects and it freaks me out. How much does it cost?
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Jimbadly: 12:39pm On Nov 19, 2013
Zeebah23: "WOW, WOW, WOW! I've never given it a thought. I only think about the side effects and it freaks me out. How much does it cost?

I bought my pair of contacts for seven thousand Naira. I think there is a Nigerian online store that sells them.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Obinnau(m): 9:55am On Nov 20, 2013
Jimbadly:

I bought my pair of contacts for seven thousand Naira. I think there is a Nigerian online store that sells them.
are you serious? Pls I will need one asap. I have thought about contacts before but I thought they would be expesive for my student's pocket.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Obinnau(m): 9:57am On Nov 20, 2013
Zeebah23: you are careless with it,i guess.
I'm not any better though,i've broken two -the very first I got and the one I used before this. .
I guess I could say that. Am careless a bit with it.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Obinnau(m): 9:59am On Nov 20, 2013
the more the gradings increase, the more your eyes deteriorate. But if its somewhere around -1, then you won't even notice that you have a problem.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by adepink(f): 11:23pm On Nov 21, 2013
I concur. I got tired of glasses which ve ben using since my secondary sch days. I started using contact last year and it has been a relieve honestly. When am goin out, I ve it on and use my normal glasses around d house.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by metroeyesnig: 10:15am On Nov 22, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Have you heard of Metro eye clinic?

We are a leading name in eye care with six branches in Nigeria.

You don't have to worry about looking nerdy or wearing glasses all day.

@Zeebah, you wear a high minus lens. If you reside in Lagos, you could visit our clinic and pick up your contact lenses. If you live in Abuja, Ota or Ibadan, it would take 3 working days to get to you.

Really, I think only the first few days are diffcult, especially if you're getting a dailies as opposed to extended wear. I stopped wearing my plano ones because alot of people stop me and ask if I escaped albinism, and I love amber! grin
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by metroeyesnig: 10:22am On Nov 22, 2013

5 and 7.5 are quite high powers and indicate the cylinders are weak. However, you do not necessarily get the best advice until you go for an eye exam.

Even wearing contact lenses is supposed to be on Doctor's advice as people who have allergies or high IOP are advised against it.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Zeebah23(f): 10:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
metroeyesnig:

5 and 7.5 are quite high powers and indicate the cylinders are weak. However, you do not necessarily get the best advice until you go for an eye exam.

Even wearing contact lenses is supposed to be on Doctor's advice as people who have allergies or high IOP are advised against it.
. My point exactly. my doctor once advised me against it .
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Debbybounty(f): 10:09pm On Nov 22, 2013
Am also short sighted O°˚˚˚ ,am xoo tayad of wearin glasses,hav bin usin since 2007 nd last tyme i checked ‎​maii lens was lik -5, ‎​ fink he said smth lik he gave ♍ a cylinder instead of normal lens....nt 2 sure of dat shaa.....buh d lens thickk gan shaa.......buhh lately ‎​ av reli watery eyes,its lik smth is inside buh nofin is cumin outt,tried diff methods,even usinn eyedrop....plsss anibdyy wif similar issue shld pls sharee.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Zeebah23(f): 10:31pm On Nov 22, 2013
Debbybounty: Am also short sighted O°˚˚˚ ,am xoo tayad of wearin glasses,hav bin usin since 2007 nd last tyme i checked ‎​maii lens was lik -5, ‎​ fink he said smth lik he gave ♍ a cylinder instead of normal lens....nt 2 sure of dat shaa.....buh d lens thickk gan shaa.......buhh lately ‎​ av reli watery eyes,its lik smth is inside buh nofin is cumin outt,tried diff methods,even usinn eyedrop....plsss anibdyy wif similar issue shld pls sharee.
u shud c an optometrist,so it doesn't get worse.
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by wiilly02(m): 11:16pm On Nov 23, 2013
Am long sighted,i really need those contact lens...life with my glasses is so unbearable,please any idea on how to get them in benin?? Thanks in advance
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 24, 2013
Lol! I'm surprised at the folks that became self conscious or shy as a result of using glasses. It had an opposite effect on me though, it boosted my confidence and with brains to go with it made me a total nerd.

I have been using glasses for like 9 years now, was diagnosed of myopia when I was in Pry.5. The nicknames came too 'Oju-igo' and co, but they never really stuck or bothered me.

By the way, had moments I really wish I didn't use it though, like when I sleep off with my glasses on and end up breaking it or in the rain when I can't remove it because I won't see clearly even though it is wet and similar situations like that. But despite these odds, I think I have adapted to it, more like accepted it.

There was a time I considered contact lenses but my doc advised me against it because it had a higher risk factor of getting infected. Do you mean to say that contact lenses are less risky now? Should I start considering it as an option again over the glasses?

Nice thread BTW. smiley
Re: A Thread For People With Eye Problem. by NerdyPoet(m): 8:18am On Nov 24, 2013
Cool thread.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Know Home Remedies For Firming Sagging Breasts / Increase Your Penile Size Naturally Without Any Drug / Did You Know Tiger Nuts Could Prevent High Blood Pressure? A Must Read

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.