Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,713 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:23 AM

Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) - Properties (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) (38781 Views)

It's Wise To Rent A House During Rainy Season In Lagos (photo) / Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. / Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 2:07pm On Aug 28, 2014
Remodeling the whole house,

2 Likes

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 2:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
Work is going on, more tenants showing interest and paying rent.

2 Likes

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by mufutau55(m): 2:11pm On Aug 28, 2014
spyder880: Remodeling the whole house,

I told you so... that it would have been better to make them all universal... I like your quick adaptation though.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by kostadinis: 3:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
mufutau55:

I told you so... that it would have been better to make them all universal... I like your quick adaptation though.

Hajji M.
Infact, the credit goes to you. You were the first to hammer on the need for uniformity. It's looking far much better than before even as the length of the room is bigger with about one meter. Oga spyder is really on top of it.
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 3:39pm On Aug 28, 2014
Still on the matter cheesy

1 Like

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 8:49am On Aug 31, 2014
We are still working here

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 8:50am On Aug 31, 2014
Plastering and dressing the modifications

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by vivienbabe(f): 9:31pm On Sep 05, 2014
This project is worth considering, the renting is progressing.
Though the remodelling expenses may eat deep into the owners initial returns but she/he will make it up in the subsequent years.
Looking forward to seeing the end result of the modification.

1 Like

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 4:07am On Sep 06, 2014
vivienbabe: This project is worth considering, the renting is progressing.
Though the remodelling expenses may eat deep into the owners initial returns but she/he will make it up in the subsequent years.
Looking forward to seeing the end result of the modification.

Yes it is a good project, I will summarize the costs and returns on a later date when we are done with the project. Thanks.
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by Fhemmmy: 1:51pm On Sep 06, 2014
spyder880:

Yes it is a good project, I will summarize the costs and returns on a later date when we are done with the project. Thanks.

Looking forward to that
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 7:05pm On Sep 11, 2014
We have noticed some cracks in the walls of this house.

The second one showed at the place we broke to fit toilet windows after the building.

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 7:10pm On Sep 11, 2014
Things changed. ....

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 7:15pm On Sep 11, 2014
I remember the provisions we made to fortify this structure. But a small stream have appeared in the land.

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by mufutau55(m): 7:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
spyder880: I remember the provisions we made to fortify this structure. But a small stream have appeared in the land.

This is not good... Party pooper! Oh Boy!

Hajji M.
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 7:20pm On Sep 11, 2014
It's also noticeable from inside the house.

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 7:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
Our neighbours were not so prepared, and .........

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 7:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
Fallen fence of our neighbours.

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by ekoibile: 11:11pm On Sep 11, 2014
spyder880: We have noticed some cracks in the walls of this house.
Ol boy these are not vertical cracks oh shocked These horizontal cracks implies serious structural foundation problems of which inadequate soil compaction could be one of the culprits. Nigeria is experiencing heavy rainfalls this year of which Ibolands's Enugu airport's runway was equally submerged in water. So i don't know why this builder found it proper to expose what amounts to a professional INCOMPETENCE to the full glare of the world. Preparations for constructing a fence is not the same as that of building a house which in saner climes must follow strict codes. To subtly equate the two was only but trying to be smart by half. Rainy seasons exposes the competence or otherwise of those who say they are builders. And the verdict is clear here.

I have just followed the pictures of this foundation till the Nairaland data loss, and what i saw was a normal dry land before the beginning of the current rainy season. I saw the soak away pit when it was under construction. It was a clean dry 12 feet deep pit, a very important pointer.

Therefore, what will make a normal foundation on a dry land (as the pictures suggest) to settle and develop cracks while work is still ongoing, and not to withstand its first rainy season, was purely a case of quackery on the part of this builder. And like i said several weeks ago on this thread, my heart goes to the owner of this structure who has been traumatized serially. For small contractors, the lesson here is to accept only the number of contracts you can afford to cope with it. Employ capable hands who can function in your absence. Empathy for your clients satisfaction is very important and not only empathy for your pocket, opari.

6 Likes

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by kopell: 2:01am On Sep 12, 2014
@Proffesor Spyder you're really a man of intergity,for you to have the courage to show the whole world what is went wrong, even though it's a sad story about your work. In my opinion I dont believe it is your fault. This is another great example of wonders that suddenly happens.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by vivienbabe(f): 10:24am On Sep 12, 2014
This is not looking good. But, bros Spyder, i think the best thing is to arrest these cracks immediately to avoid further widening of the gap. Am sure you have the know how to do it.
You are really courageous to show this type of fault. It's very good of you. But now that people are watching is also the best time to reboost their confidence by fixing it quickly. make sure u be there yourself. Sorry my brother, I'm really touched.

2 Likes

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by Demainman1: 10:38am On Sep 12, 2014
I am of the opinion that those cracks are as a result of all these knocking down walls to expand the rooms. The owner should have just left the rooms the way the were. I hope these can be remedied o.

2 Likes

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by PeoplesArmy: 11:20am On Sep 12, 2014
Whatever the case, it will be good to investigate the cause of the cracks before a remedy is attempted. @Spyder, have you determined the cause of the cracks? Is it something you want to engage an engineer to do? This should be instructive for readers though it may turnout to be an expensive lesson for the landlord.

1 Like

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by ekoibile: 1:21pm On Sep 12, 2014
Demainman1: I am of the opinion that those cracks are as a result of all these knocking down walls to expand the rooms. The owner should have just left the rooms the way the were. I hope these can be remedied o.

People dey buy flats and houses, knock down walls and remodel to their tastes without any stress to the integrity of the building oh.
Any house that is worth its salt should stand the rigors of INTERNAL remodeling at the very least. Ironically, the same man wey build am dey remodell am.
Abegi make una no spin this one oh, it's an insult on the madam abi na oga wey get the building.

1 Like

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 5:16pm On Sep 12, 2014
I will go back a few pages and look at what we did.

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 5:19pm On Sep 12, 2014
I remember we had foundation beams in the affected areas, columns and all round chain beams and lintels (for a downstairs apartment that will not bear any decking?)

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 5:24pm On Sep 12, 2014
Marking the positions of the reinforcements..............

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by ekoibile: 8:32pm On Sep 12, 2014
spyder880: I remember we had foundation beams in the affected areas, columns and all round chain beams and lintels (for a downstairs apartment that will not bear any decking?)
Oga mi, the problem here is rather what you apparently did not do well beneath the surface. Here you are showing what you did on the surface. This foundation is fast shifting (settling) and i am sure you understood me.

In simple terms, the holes or voids in the sand-filled substructure are too large that the foundation blocks have gotten enough space to dance awilo. The result is what you see now as cracks. Even if you bought 25mm steel rods and ringed them round a DPC that has a loosely compacted soil, the result would still be the same as what you have now. On the other hand, if your foundation sand was tightly compacted, the need for foundation ringing would become elective. I advice you discuss with the owner of this project because the help of a trained professional is needed here. Nairaland property section is where people pursue excellence in their projects, let's keep it like that. I know some guys in Lagos here that are experts in this situation. Admit your failure and seek help.

3 Likes

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 9:21pm On Sep 16, 2014
Still watching the cracks and taking notes. Would have rushed the corrections but too much water in the ground.

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 9:26pm On Sep 16, 2014
Walking into the compound is difficult. Have to pull off your shoes to enter, flowing water discouraging intending renters from walking into the compound.

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 9:30pm On Sep 16, 2014
But of course some tenants that has paid rent has moved into their apartments.

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 9:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
Others preparing to move in.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Part Of My Farmland's Fence Fell Down For The 2nd Time (Photos) / The Nigeria Retirement Home Mastering The Odyssee / Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.