Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,998 members, 7,817,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Is Fashola A Hypocrite? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Fashola A Hypocrite? (1233 Views)

Is Fashola A Governor Or A Joker?..( Photo) / Ayobo/ipaja Road Under Construction: Is Fashola Working Or Not? / Is Fashola Over Celebrated? Or He Is On Vacation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Nov 18, 2013
I just watch an Anti-Child Labour advert on LTV, sponsored by the Lagos state government. The fine for parents whose children engage in street hawking is N200,000.00 or imprisonment.

Now, it's not the campaign that bothers me, it's the fact that this campaign is coming from the same Governor whose action says education isn't for the poor and increased LASU tuition fees up to as much as about N300,000.00.

Lagos state teachers, for instance, do NOT get leave bonuses, which used to be the norm back in the days. This same development came up under the Fashola regime.

Point: If you make life hard for the citizens, why campaign against the obvious result of your actions?
How many poverty alleviation programmes are available to Lagos state residents?

PS: Omo yoruba ni mi. Ti oju ba n'se ipin. . .

2 Likes

Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by MayorofLagos(m): 11:57pm On Nov 18, 2013
There is a social dilemma in children hawking wares on the street. Truly, street hawking, whether by children or adults, should be regulated.

A society must constantly probe for new ways to improve and grow. Street hawking should be managed proactively and controlled for social balance.

I laugh at your Yoruba claim. We shall soon know if you are indeed Yoruba or not. grin
Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 19, 2013
@Mayor
Like I said in my 1st post, I don't have anything against the campaign and I believe street hawking is quite demoralizing. But what alternatives have the poor in Lagos state? Is there a sort of rehabilitation in place for those without food and shelter?

Remember this same ACN turn APC regime gave helmets to Okada men and banned them after they assumed office for 2nd term?

See, Lagos state has been showing this one-way attitude since fashola assumed office.

The present government doesn't have humanitarian projects going on, why does it pretend as if those
parent whose children hawk on the streets are evil?

2 Likes

Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by bloggernaija: 6:35pm On Nov 19, 2013
Street trading is the first step to child labour.
The child should not be trading on the street , he should be doing his homework ,housework or be in school.
You only need to visit a police station at night to see the number of juvenile delinquent being arrested.
at any point in time,More than 90% of the poor in Lagos are first generation immigrants from other states ,rural areas and neighbouring countries.
The fact that previous governments ,most especially the useless military governments ,failed to enforce :

1The trading laws
2The liquor licensing laws
3The building codes
4tenancy laws etc

Does not mean they do not exist.
Neither does it mean they won't/shouldn't be enforced by a sensible government.

Enforcing these laws is the first step to shaping their attitudes and forming their opinions.
Enforcing laws is also a way of keeping the lawless out.
That is why most people simply behave like animals.
Things like blocking the highway for the most mundane of grievances is seen as protest.
Roasting apprehended suspect is seen as justice.
There are no laws to queuing but that is the first thing you learn when you leave the nigerian shores.

for all who who have ears,
Poverty is not an excuse .
Those laws were enforced in the past.
Commonsense dictates that they should be enforced once again.
The government should also try and designate certain high street /secondary roads which can be closed 3 times a week ,for trading purposes.
Just like the OJO OJA of the past.
Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by olabukola: 6:44pm On Nov 19, 2013
bloggernaija: at any point in time,More than 90% of the poor in Lagos are first generation immigrants from other states ,rural areas and neighbouring countries.
with this statement you indirectly admit that 90% of Lagos residents are not from Lagos. Please stop loading the gun power dear for them to fire at us.

1 Like

Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by bloggernaija: 6:55pm On Nov 19, 2013
olabukola: with this statement you indirectly admit that 90% of Lagos residents are not from Lagos. Please stop loading the gun power dear for them to fire at us.
Being a current resident under the camouflage of "ONE NIGERIA "is different from being an indigen or having ancestral rights to call Lagos home .
If your forefathers shed their blood to defend Lagos or any part of yorubaland or the oyo empire from marauders/invaders and can trace your lineage to the great king of kings ,ODUDUWA(from jebba to igbokoda, from Cotonou,Freetown ,lome all the way to the warri),you have the rights to be regarded as a citizen of anywhere in yorubaland and can in most/all instances have the same rights and privileges.
Anybody else is deceiving /deluding himself .

1 Like

Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by stebell(m): 7:35pm On Nov 19, 2013
@ Bloggernaija, dat ur statistics of 90% is not correct O°˚˚˚. I don't want to believe that only 10% of true Lagosians are poor.
Jus saying tho.
I think Berem will hv a beta stats concerning trading and poverty in Lagos State.
Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by MayorofLagos(m): 7:53pm On Nov 19, 2013
jassie: @Mayor
Like I said in my 1st post, I don't have anything against the campaign and I believe street hawking is quite demoralizing. But what alternatives have the poor in Lagos state? Is there a sort of rehabilitation in place for those without food and shelter?

Remember this same ACN turn APC regime gave helmets to Okada men and banned them after they assumed office for 2nd term?

See, Lagos state has been showing this one-way attitude since fashola assumed office.

The present government doesn't have humanitarian projects going on, why does it pretend as if those

We have spent the past two years talking about Governors in the West and focused on Lagos in particular.

Im interested in Eastern Governors going forward. So I will not address the points you raised here but I will tell you Fashola is on right course.
Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by Gbawe: 8:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
jassie: I just watch an Anti-Child Labour advert on LTV, sponsored by the Lagos state government. The fine for parents whose children engage in street hawking is N200,000.00 or imprisonment.

Now, it's not the campaign that bothers me, it's the fact that this campaign is coming from the same Governor who said education isn't for the poor and increased LASU tuition fees up to as much as about N300,000.00.

Lagos state teachers, for instance, do NOT get leave bonuses, which used to be the norm back in the days. This same development came up under the Fashola regime.

Point: If you make life hard for the citizens, why campaign against the obvious result of your actions?
How many poverty alleviation programmes are available to Lagos state residents?

PS: Omo yoruba ni mi. Ti oju ba n'se ipin. . .

Kindly indulge me by providing a link that shows Fashola saying education is not for the poor.
Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by Sloan: 8:09pm On Nov 19, 2013
stebell: @ Bloggernaija, dat ur statistics of 90% is not correct O°˚˚˚. I don't want to believe that only 10% of true Lagosians are poor.
Jus saying tho.
I think Berem will hv a beta stats concerning trading and poverty in Lagos State.

This is why there is so much foo.lishness in Nigeria - most Nigerian in Nigeria now have neither sense nor ability to think! Did you understand that statement at all? I am not here to debate the 90% figure but the import of what he said! He did not mean 90% of the population of Lagos but 90% OF the poor of the population OF Lagos, you get it?

Mathematically stated, assuming the population of Lagos is X, and Y is the population of the NON-poor (whatever the yardstick used to determine the number) in Lagos, then you can compute the following:
=> Poor population, Z = X - Y;
=> % of Poor who are non-natives = Z / X * 100% = 90%!

Now go back to primary school and bury your big head in shame! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by Articul8(m): 8:29pm On Nov 19, 2013
jassie: @Mayor

Point of correction sir,he dint ban Okada riders completely,he only banned dem frm major express roads. U shld knw dt govt.comes out with different policies @ diff. Times depending on d circumstances @ dt time.D okada riders were given helmets to protect dem and also banned frm xpress still to protect and save dia lives. So,which of dt is bad?
Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
Gbawe:

Kindly indulge me by providing a link that shows Fashola saying education is not for the poor.

Ogbeni kaju n bar!
You seriously don't expect me to provide links to all these facts. Well, his actions say so.... But he's one of the very few good guys we have around... By the way, you just skipped the main idea of the write-up and selected a few words. . . What about poverty alleviation programmes?
BRF na my guy o. . . but that guy needs to be more humanistic. wink

Pls my friends, let's make this thread a constructive one.
Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 19, 2013
Articul8:
Point of correction sir,he dint ban Okada riders completely,he only banned dem frm major express roads. U shld knw dt govt.comes out with different policies @ diff. Times depending on d circumstances @ dt time.D okada riders were given helmets to protect dem and also banned frm xpress still to protect and save dia lives. So,which of dt is bad?

Did i say he banned them completely?
To protect & save their lives... well sha so so! But he didn't remember that during his 1st term abi cheesy
Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by eaglechild: 6:38am On Nov 20, 2013
That OP, is a rhetorical question and the answer is a big YES!

1 Like

Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by Ewarrior: 8:49am On Nov 20, 2013
Articul8:

Exactly!!

The problem with us is that most people are quick to judge based on their emotions rather than being realistic and pragmatic

I watched a program on TV that had the comissioner of Transport as a guest and he gave some statistics concerning okada accidents and deaths on lagos roads

Do u knw dat since the enforcement of the Okada restrictions on major highways, okada deaths has reduced to below ten monthly,infact the month of july no death was recorded. Whereas before the law, it used to be 70 and above.

Now tell me how this is not a good law??
Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by Ewarrior: 9:00am On Nov 20, 2013
jassie:

Ogbeni kaju n bar!
You seriously don't expect me to provide links to all these facts. Well, his actions say so.... But he's one of the very few good guys we have around... By the way, you just skipped the main idea of the write-up and selected a few words. . . What about poverty alleviation programmes?
BRF na my guy o. . . but that guy needs to be more humanistic. wink

Pls my friends, let's make this thread a constructive one.

Lagos state has one of the best poverty alleviation programmes in the Country, if not the best sef..
Re: Is Fashola A Hypocrite? by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 20, 2013
Ewarrior:

Lagos state has one of the best poverty alleviation programmes in the Country, if not the best sef..

Oya educate me now. . .

(1) (Reply)

North Brags About Liberating Niger Delta Zone? / Lagos Deserves Better Than APC - Obanikoro / Ajimobi & Ladoja Set For Serious Battle Inapc!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.