Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,967 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers (14428 Views)

QUIZ for Graduate Engineers - Test yourself / My Secret Tips For A Career Success. Also Suitable For Jobseekers. / Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by harrisiny(m): 8:50am On Nov 22, 2013
...on point.
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by shejane: 9:58am On Nov 22, 2013
sCun: You are too lazy to even spell simple words completely. How do you want us to believe you aren't too lazy to run a business.

If u wat complete words, pls go back 2 nursery dats where ur mates are

U are nt suppose 2b here if u wat complete words kid
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by shejane: 10:07am On Nov 22, 2013
If we can channel d energy we use 2 hate nd insult pple positively nd d english we use 2 insult in2 writing impotant tins, we wil nt b going 4m one office 2anoda looking 4 job

Bt nairaland is turning to 2go where kids insult der seniors all in d name of commenting
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 22, 2013
pappythinko: Nice and articulate write-up.....Thumbs up i really feel the flow. After 13months of being in the labour market i am finally picking up an employment letter tomorrow. Its a 35k job for a BSc holder, hope its not too bad or paltry.......?? Even if its paltry nko, do i have any option for now. *dancing skelewu* baba God na u biko......Drink on me!
Congratulations to you, bro, for finally landing yourself a job. Never forget the the lessons you learnt in those trying times and set out everyday to be the best that you can be. Never mind what you are getting in salary at the moment, as nothing good in life comes so easily. As long as you remain focused, time will fly and you will only get better. Cheers!!!
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by trytillmake(m): 11:18am On Nov 22, 2013
But your university education, at least at the bachelor of arts level, was never intended to land you a job.
1. It was intended to make you a more complete thinker.
2. It was intended to teach you how to absorb complex information and make reasoned arguments.
3. It was, quite simply, intended to teach you how to learn.
Those are skills that you’ll use in any field of work.

Thank u for this thread, you have said it all.

1 Like

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 22, 2013
If your shoes are not like these, you've not started job search yet...keep on trying, one day you will tell a story

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Appswheel(m): 2:49pm On Nov 22, 2013
How Long Does Success Take?
Here is an extract from HOW LONG DOES SUCCESS TAKE by Dr.Mani. It is hoped that you will find the motivation to look beyond your present circumstances and purse your goals, life ambition.

“In real life, I’m a heart surgeon treating children born with heart defects. They’ve taught me a lot, these ‘Little Wonders’. Life dealt them a bad hand. Many won’t see their tenth birthday, or fifth – or even their first. Unless they have major surgery.

Their lives are on hold, under threat… all the time. But they smile. Laugh. Play. And LIVE. They are survivors. Warriors in the battle of Life. And winners! They inspire me.

What inspires you? Why do you do what you do? What purpose drives you to achieve more, get better, keep on persisting?
Identify it. Tap into the power of it. Use it to inspire your thoughts and deeds… to fuel your success.

Choose Success

Imagine driving in a car to a place you want to go, and the road gets bumpy. What do you do?

You could stop, get out of the car, and curse your bad luck
You could turn your car around and go back to the smooth, quiet road to nowhere Or…
You could keep going on, determined to get where you’re going – and knowing things will get better when you reach there.
Not just keep going, but actually ENJOY the ride. And even be thankful that you’ve got a car, and that you know the way!”

Download ebook here http://knowbase.appswheel.com/how-long-does-success-take/
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by Nelrulez(m): 2:51pm On Nov 22, 2013
Brilliant...
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by ICHIEMAN: 3:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
sCun: You are too lazy to even spell simple words completely. How do you want us to believe you aren't too lazy to run a business.
bro..its no issue. The guy made a very apparent point. Ground No Level Atall.
Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by ifyeky(m): 9:56pm On Nov 22, 2013
Big4wig: Cool write up See Chat oo

Charmer:::: Hello Sweet Girl
Sweetgirl:::: Hi Lover Boy!
Charmer:::: Can I know you more please?
Sweetgirl:::: 17, female, sweet lips, bootylicious n’ delicious, live in Avondale and you?
Charmer:::: Mmmmmh, I am in love already.
I’m 52, male, 6 pack, big Chest, live in Avondale.
Sweetgirl:::: You’re 52? OMG! Serious. Same age as my dad?
Charmer:::: I’m just so into fresh young beautiful girls.
Sweetgirl:::: Do you have a wife?
Charmer:::: Yes, but not as sexy as you, I have a daughter, she is in her bedroom with her friend doing homework.
Sweetgirl:::: Then why do you like young girls?
Charmer:::: I love them because they are
beautiful not to mention sexy n’ wit fresh boobs n’ booty
Sweetgirl:::: I am also into older men with iPhones, ipads, cash and driving expensive cars.
Charmer:::: I can offer all of that and even more.
Sweetgirl:::: I think we shud meet because
you are in Avondale and I am also here.
Charmer:::: That would be nice, where do I pick you up tomorrow with my new BMW X6 sexy girl?
Sweetgirl:::: Tomorrow I am going to school it won’t be possible.
Charmer:::: Or maybe over the weekend,
going to school is very important. Sweetgirl:::: While still chatting letme continue with my homework I don’t want my dad to know that i have a BlackBerry, he will be mad at me.
Charmer:::: Which homework is that? may be I can assist you. Sweetgirl:::: It’s a Biology assignment and my friend Lucy is assisting me.
Charmer:::: Hey, your friend’s name is Lucy?
Sweetgirl:::: Yes.
Charmer:::: Exactly where in Avondale are
you? Sweetgirl:::: House number 5 and you?
Charmer:::: Mercy!!! is that you
Sweetgirl:::: Dad, is that you
Wahalaaaaaaaaaaa!!.

Hehehehehehehehehe! Omor see GOBEEEE

1 Like

Re: Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers by MisterMan(m): 2:45pm On Nov 25, 2013
I have read thru the topics. Things are not as bad as it seems. A lot of people are so pessimistic that they already have this bad attitude. There are many problems with job seekers. Here I will try and analyse some. Before I go on, please do NOT [/b]misunderstand me. I am not saying the jobs are plentiful, but the main problem in most cases is that job seekers are inadequate in the most basic things: writing good resumes and horrible preparation to interview.
Resume Writing: When you see what applicants put together as resume, you will be embarrased. The purpose of resume is to sell yourself as a product. The resume they put together tells employer [b]NOT
to call them for interview. Same goes for cover letter. If you can't get these things straight, the possibility of being called for interview is virtually zero.
While reading this thread, I remembered an old thread and I had to go and dig it out. Please take your time to read the thread, from beginning, you will be doing yourself a lot of good, and it is very funny, though I am not talking about the entertainment value. Here is the link to it:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-129847.64.html

The above link is the page 3 of it and I will quote, for your convenience, what somebody wrote (she should know because she is in human resources department

Whilst reading all the posts here, I couldn't help but laugh and feel horrified at the same time.

The other day, someone told me what a multinational company MD said about Nigerian graduates and I honestly couldn't help but agree. He said the jobs are there that in fact they really need people seriously in their firm but they just couldn't get capable people to fill in the positions. (Emphasis mine)I agree with him because:

1. I have had experience with recruiting and its really really tough getting someone with adequate capabilities
2. Going by the experiences highlighted so far, its easy to see why.

So, here's my own two naira worth of advice to you interviewees:

1. When you are attending any interview, read up as much as you can about the organisation, don't wait until you are called a day before the interview, do this as soon as you send out your cv, if you are really serious. You ask how many companies you want to study on? Well, you don't have to study on any of them, just seek information on them (almost any serious organisation has a website), print out a page or so on the company and keep it, then keep it until a day or two before your interview. When I was going for my interview, I found some bit of information about the organisation in a magazine and i just wrote it down and filed it away, such that at the interview, i appeared to know something about the company. It always amazes me when I ask interviewees who the MD of the company they want to enter is and they have absolutely no idea. It tells me they are not serious. And more than likely I would not pencil them down for the next level.
People simply need to sit up and get things going. A lot of people feel they cannot get jobs because they don't know anybofy. That is not always true. Some people are simply inadequate. Read through some of the horrible sentence some people emit out. Here is what people should do.

1. Learn how to write a first-grade resume. The internet is a very good place to make reasearch with minimum effort. Nairaland is a great place to become more knowledgeable. Here are some articles about writing good resume and cover letter

[url]https://www.nairaland.com/1530623/cover-letter-doing-it-right
https://www.nairaland.com/1448096/how-write-first-grade-resume
https://www.nairaland.com/710075/how-write-attractive-resume-need
[/url]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company / 4 Warning Signs That You Won’t Get The Job – And How You Can Fix It / Here's How They Escaped Unemployment, Fake Job Scams And Poverty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.