Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company (14424 Views)

How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? / Omolanke Shelle: Stericycle Hoists Nigerian Flag To Honour Employee / 5 Effective Ways To Settle In As A New Employee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by corpersforum(f): 1:01am On Jan 29, 2017
Why do most people fail in a new job? It's not for lack of experience.

People often assume when a new hire doesn't work out that the person couldn't do the job, i.e., didn't have the right skill set. But, in my experience, it usually has to do with the person's personality and approach to the job. If you don't fit the culture of the company, it makes it harder for the employees who do fit to work with you. They don't appreciate having to work with someone they don't trust and respect. This leads to teamwork productivity issues that then lead to performance issues. Eventually, the manager has to decide which employee is hurting the connectivity of the team. The weakest link goes. Given that new people are often brought into an existing team who are working well together, you can see why it becomes important to decide quickly if this new employee is capable of meshing with the group. If not, there's no point in forcing everyone to work with her or him. It's smarter to cut the person loose and look for a better fit.

These five attitudes are the warning signs the new hire won't last.

[s]The following behaviors displayed by a new hire are red flags.[/s]

1) "I can do it all." When new hires jump in and claim to be the Jack- or Jill-of-all-trades, they send the message they think they are better than the rest of the team. Yes, confidence is important, but a person who claims to be able to do it all comes across like a snake oil salesman. It's better for employees to know their particular expertise and stick to it. Remember, everyone on the team has a specialty. In the first 90 days, new hires should spend time figuring out what each person brings to the team so they can leverage their strengths and offer theirs up to help the team succeed.

2) "You need to work around my needs." New hires that vocalize constraints around what they can do and when they can do it are immediately labeled "high maintenance" by peers. When new hires give a list of requirements before they'll do the job, they create more work for others. New hires should be focused on learning ways their work can make teammates' jobs easier. The more value someone provides to the team, the sooner he or she is viewed as a vital contributor.

3) "I only talk to people who matter." New hires that only seem to get excited when talking to people they think have "influence" in the company aren't team players. They're opportunists. When new hires don't show any interest in getting to know the receptionist or someone in a different department, they don't see the value in respecting the contributions of every team member. New hires should be focused on making friends with everyone they meet in the company, because you just never know whom you'll need to tap in the organization for help.

4) "I'm always looking for the next big thing." New hires who are already talking about getting promoted and taking a bigger role showcase narcissistic tendencies. The all-about-me approach to their career implies they will do anything to achieve their goal and walk over anyone who gets in their way. New hires should be focused on getting proficient at their new job with the intent to exceed expectations. Doing a job consistently well is the best way to earn the trust and respect that can lead to a future promotion.

5) "I can do the job, but don't expect me to overextend myself." New hires who only put in the minimum effort show a lack of commitment to building a mutually beneficial partnership with the employer. All new relationships require some extra effort to help form a good partnership. When new hires don't seem to care about whether the employer is feeling satisfied with their early performance, you can only expect their commitment to the job to decrease. They also can't be relied on in times when extra help is suddenly needed to get the job done. New hires should be focused on not just meeting the expectations of the employer but also finding ways to exceed it. This doesn't mean spending extra time at the office, but rather finding ways to improve their productivity so they have extra time and energy to put toward going above and beyond what is expected.

If you recruit employees, be sure to monitor new hires carefully for the warning signs above, and cut your losses sooner rather than later. And, if you are a new employee, be proactive and get help managing your onboarding experience so you can make sure you do well in the first 90 days. Otherwise, you could be looking for another job sooner than you had planned.

http://www.corpersforum.com/training-skills/5-signs-a-new-employee-won't-make-it-in-your-company/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by Drienzia: 7:31am On Jan 29, 2017
All this nairalanders.. forming 10 things you must do,7 signs this is..5 reasons you shouldn't, I tire for una.

So because, I started thinking about being big in a company while being a new intake,means I won't last in it, What's wrong with being ambitious ...

13 Likes

Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by bi0nics: 7:31am On Jan 29, 2017
angry
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by SexyNairalander: 7:31am On Jan 29, 2017
booked
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by bi0nics: 7:32am On Jan 29, 2017
Holatunde007:
Hmmmm
Drienzia:
g

Seriously? ?
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by MrEdimulo82(m): 7:33am On Jan 29, 2017
On point, telling from a personal experience. Nice.
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by dfrost: 7:35am On Jan 29, 2017
cheesy grin. I know a guy.

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by KillerBeauty(f): 7:39am On Jan 29, 2017
Good point. It all boils down to the persons attitude to work
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by KillerBeauty(f): 7:45am On Jan 29, 2017
Drienzia:
All this nairalanders.. forming 10 things you must do,7 signs this is..5 reasons you shouldn't, I tire for una.

So because, I started thinking about being big in a company while being a new intake,means I won't last in it, What's wrong with being ambitious ...

Been ambitious is good. But as a new employee your focus should be getting good in your new job role and striving to be the best not just keep talking about your desire to get a promotion but working hard in your present role. Ultimately, your hard work will be recognised and therefore lead to a promotion

2 Likes

Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by Drienzia: 7:50am On Jan 29, 2017
KillerBeauty:

Been ambitious is good. But as a new employee your focus should be getting good in your new job role and striving to be the best not just keep talking about your desire to get a promotion but working hard in your present role. Ultimately, your hard work will be recognised and therefore lead to a promotion
striving to be the best, somehow shows u want the big job...like seeking promotions

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by jeeqaa7(m): 8:03am On Jan 29, 2017
Ok
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by Nobody: 8:09am On Jan 29, 2017
You are an example of that new employee that wont't last in a company. Read, reflect and respond. It is as simple as that.
Drienzia:

Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by dingbang(m): 8:22am On Jan 29, 2017
Like when seun employed mynd and lala, they were too too pro active cheesy grin

Na joke ooo.. Abeg ooo. No ban me oooo....biko

2 Likes

Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by nightingalee: 8:27am On Jan 29, 2017
Good read.
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by Nobody: 8:30am On Jan 29, 2017

5) "I can do the job, but don't expect me to overextend myself

Nothing is wrong with number five abeg.
People can agree to do only what they are getting paid for unless the boss asks a special favour not that they must do extra just to prove they are competent.
It's that wrong mentality that is making Nigerian bosses treat their employees like slaves, work till 10 o clock, work extra hours weekends, work Sundays sef, just to prove yourself.

You pay peanuts but want your employees to forget their personal lives because of your business

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by Electronzeez(m): 8:36am On Jan 29, 2017
The poster should add work politics . A new employee should know who are the jagaban of his/her company . those with 70% opinion . Beleieve me if you are not clutch to this set of people , no.matter how better you are you are a gonna.

I am not saying you should be a puppet . Just ensure you are a party member of the winning team.
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by funmilade4real(m): 8:37am On Jan 29, 2017
K
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by Julietcutie(f): 8:54am On Jan 29, 2017
good points
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by atitipoyoyo: 9:57am On Jan 29, 2017
Ace2013:
You are an example of that new employee that wont't last in a company. Read, reflect and respond. It is as simple as that.

That is a lie. Most people talking about new employees this way are people who have complex issues and feel intimidated by a new employee especially when the person is supposed to be a junior person. I have a friend who just resumed in a company. Some of the jobs that is supposed to be done by senior ones are given to him by the Head of dept.He doesnt feel comfotable abt it sometimes. Cos he knows sooner or later employees like you will start to seek his downfall all in the name of "new hires". Then OP your point 3 and 4 is what i dont agree with totally. On point 3.You only tend to be acquinted with someone who someone u have something to do together . Must you be friends with everyone? U can greet them but not friends. Personally, i believe the office is not the best place to make friends. Greet evryone to the gateman just be at peace with all men but u dont have to make desperate efforts to be friendly all in the name of you know i am a "new hire". Where i work currently, there was this manager that will ask for my opinion on things if i talk he will start arguing that he doesnt think it is correct. He will now start asking me where i read it from. When you tell him he will never go there to check. So when i noticed it. If he asks me i will tell him i dont know even when i know. Then point 4 i have not seen anyone who talks about promotion openly. U keep that un your mind. Look for the next big thing is what drives people to achieve what people think cannot be achieved and that is what motivates. I dont understand u talking abt promotion in the office. U only keep that in your mind. Yes cos there is power in the mind u conceive it and work towards it. If you want to stay on a particular grade for four years cos u are a new hire then there are others who have set targets for themselves that must be achieved.

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by Nobody: 11:07am On Jan 29, 2017
To start with, it all depends on the organizational setting such employee finds him/herself. Personally i agree and i am aware of all the 5 points OP listed. He is absolutely correct, however these points are not applicable to most of the organizations in Nigeria. In fact all, if i am not mistaken.
atitipoyoyo:

That is a lie. Most people talking about new employees this way are people who have complex issues and feel intimidated by a new employee especially when the person is supposed to be a junior person. I have a friend who just resumed in a company. Some of the jobs that is supposed to be done by senior ones are given to him by the Head of dept.He doesnt feel comfotable abt it sometimes. Cos he knows sooner or later employees like you will start to seek his downfall all in the name of "new hires". Then OP your point 3 and 4 is what i dont agree with totally. On point 3.You only tend to be acquinted with someone who someone u have something to do together . Must you be friends with everyone? U can greet them but not friends. Personally, i believe the office is not the best place to make friends. Greet evryone to the gateman just be at peace with all men but u dont have to make desperate efforts to be friendly all in the name of you know i am a "new hire". Where i work currently, there was this manager that will ask for my opinion on things if i talk he will start arguing that he doesnt think it is correct. He will now start asking me where i read it from. When you tell him he will never go there to check. So when i noticed it. If he asks me i will tell him i dont know even when i know. Then point 4 i have not seen anyone who talks about promotion openly. U keep that un your mind. Look for the next big thing is what drives people to achieve what people think cannot be achieved and that is what motivates. I dont understand u talking abt promotion in the office. U only keep that in your mind. Yes cos there is power in the mind u conceive it and work towards it. If you want to stay on a particular grade for four years cos u are a new hire then there are others who have set targets for themselves that must be achieved.
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by Emperormartin(m): 2:17pm On Jan 29, 2017
A new employee should just n only do one thing; Keep his mouth shut and open his eyes....
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jan 29, 2017
Now OP...2 things you must know from the rest of us on Nairaland when you are posting your 5, 6, 10 whatever rules is this:
1. we do not give a fuckkkkk!

2. check rule 1 again
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by Pinkieblue(f): 4:11pm On Jan 29, 2017
Cornerstone insurance plc, is seeking to recruit energetic, strong-willed and focused individuals to join it's team of professionals in line with its growth and expansion plan.

Our organization was established to conduct insurance business in a customer focused manner.

Job title: Financial planner/Marketing Executive

How to Apply:

Interested and qualified candidates should send their cv to bucherecruitment@gmail.com
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by GeneralFestytop(m): 4:15pm On Jan 29, 2017
sshola:
Now OP...2 things you must know from the rest of us on Nairaland when you are posting your 5, 6, 10 whatever rules is this:
1. we do not give a fuckkkkk!

2. check rule 1 again
When you see a post that is really helpful to some people somewhere do not "BEEF" it.
Re: 5 Signs A New Employee Won't Make It In Your Company by smartkester(m): 4:44pm On Jan 29, 2017
I totally disagree with your number 5, you got no point there, you don't expect an employee to over labour him/herself just to please the employer except extra or shift hours is included in their MOU or contract of agreement.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers / Should Workers Who Use "My Oga At The Top" Joke During Office Hours Be Punished? / Tips On How To Stop Being A Digital Slave.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.