Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit (2683 Views)

How To Process Your Car Tinted Permit Plus My Experience / New Tinted Permit / Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by baconline(m): 6:34pm On Dec 02, 2013
I drove from ibadan to ado ekiti this morning,on approachn ado ekiti some police men stopped me and demanded for my tinted permit.I told him I don't have(the truck is a 1999 dakota 2doors,only d small quarter glass at the back is factory tinted) I told them d main doors and windscreen is plain.one of them entered d truck and I was taken to their station. I was asked to park d car and submit the key.after much argument I eventually summited d key.I was told to write a statement which I did,then d officer told me to go and come back d next day(tomorrow) at 8.30am.I didn't argue I told him to allow me pick my equipment and personnal belongings from d car.after I did that and was about leaving ,he called me to d side and demanded dat I just settle and go.I told him I can not settle (I don't give or receive bribe).he kept looking at me as I left.I will be back there tomorrow(least I forget as I entered d station d arresting officer was telling me its a jailable offence 6 months or 50k fine)
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 02, 2013
I feel your pain bro. Good to see a Nigerian brother make a stand against corruption.
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by ziccoit: 8:53pm On Dec 02, 2013
If you can afford the cost, please go with a lawyer. Thank you for stand tall against corruption.
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by abatically(m): 9:28pm On Dec 02, 2013
ziccoit: If you can afford the cost, please go with a lawyer. Thank you for stand tall against corruption.

So much for standing tall against corruption, but u didn't mention breaking the rules. It has been announced several times that users of tinted glass risk N50,000 fine. I am sorry but the OP will be fighting a needless fight if he decides to get a lawyer like u advised. His chances of winning are very slim and he might end up spending more than the N50,000 fine. In as much as I hate corruption but in this case, since the truck has been impounded its needless fighting, just pay the fine and next time get a tint permit. If I was the OP, I would do everything to prevent the truck getting to the station even if it means bribing them, this is Nigeria and some things cannot change.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/news-headlines/item/26881-users-of-tinted-glass-risk-n50,000-fine,-6-month-jail-term-%E2%80%94senate.html

http://www.nigeria-law.org/MotorVehicles(ProhibitionofTintedGlass)Decree.htm
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by baconline(m): 10:24pm On Dec 02, 2013
I am not sayn that I am not guilty of the offence,although I sincerely never though that the truck was tinted since its only d back quarter glass that is tinted,if that is an offence then I am ready to pay the price of payn what ever fee to the govt than for me to give any police man a dime.That's my position and I stand by it this law will only help police men to up the price of settlement from their victims
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by erico2k2(m): 10:38pm On Dec 02, 2013
baconline: I am not sayn that I am not guilty of the offence,although I sincerely never though that the truck was tinted since its only d back quarter glass that is tinted,if that is an offence then I am ready to pay the price of payn what ever fee to the govt than for me to give any police man a dime.That's my position and I stand by it this law will only help police men to up the price of settlement from their victims
for starters go and get the permit B4 yu do anything
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by Nobody: 2:27am On Dec 03, 2013
abatically: So much for standing tall against corruption, but u didn't mention breaking the rules.

The tint laws exclude factory tinted windows, it's added tinted film the permits were for.

Besides, Nigerian laws are far from clear - one minute you require a tint permit for aftermarket tints, next factory tinted glass requires a permit, then it was announced the tint permits were abolished.

Which is it?

1 Like

Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by abatically(m): 4:32am On Dec 03, 2013
Siena:

The tint laws exclude factory tinted windows, it's added tinted film the permits were for.

Besides, Nigerian laws are far from clear - one minute you require a tint permit for aftermarket tints, next factory tinted glass requires a permit, then it was announced the tint permits were abolished.

Which is it?

it is an offence to drive a tinted vehicle be it aftermarket or factory tint. The constitution states that the glasses should be changed within 14 days after the vehicle has been imported into the country. Now since OP has accepted that he is guilty and would rather pay the fine than settle any police officer, then I guess the case is settled. Just be prepared to be delayed for a few days because these policemen sure know how to get people frustrated.

Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 03, 2013
^^^ If the tint permit also applies to factory tinted glass, then the Nigerian constitution is in utter shambles! Because with the majority of modern automobile, there's no option to fit plain glass, as it was never a factory option. With the light tint being standard.

We're talking light tint here, not Limo black. Factory tint is 70% for the screen and sides, note I am not referring to the darker rears in SUV's.
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by Fajzay: 1:38pm On Dec 03, 2013
abatically:

So much for standing tall against corruption, but u didn't mention breaking the rules. It has been announced several times that users of tinted glass risk N50,000 fine. I am sorry but the OP will be fighting a needless fight if he decides to get a lawyer like u advised. His chances of winning are very slim and he might end up spending more than the N50,000 fine. In as much as I hate corruption but in this case, since the truck has been impounded its needless fighting, just pay the fine and next time get a tint permit. If I was the OP, I would do everything to prevent the truck getting to the station even if it means bribing them, this is Nigeria and some things cannot change.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/news-headlines/item/26881-users-of-tinted-glass-risk-n50,000-fine,-6-month-jail-term-%E2%80%94senate.html

Nope!!! Kudos to the guy for standing his ground. When you break the rules, you stand firm and pay the penalty. Fine, you pay the fine but to appropriate quarters.
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by Fajzay: 1:45pm On Dec 03, 2013
abatically:

it is an offence to drive a tinted vehicle be it aftermarket or factory tint. The constitution states that the glasses should be changed within 14 days after the vehicle has been imported into the country. Now since OP has accepted that he is guilty and would rather pay the fine than settle any police officer, then I guess the case is settled. Just be prepared to be delayed for a few days because these policemen sure know how to get people frustrated.

The question is why do we vehicles come with factory tint. To conserve the AC coolness within the car. Its a shame that many of our lawmakers are stark illiterates / educated illiterates that could not understand the effect of a black material wrt heat. In a tropical country like Nigeria, tint is very very needful and there shouldn't be any need for a permit. Permit to do what? - Just another money making venture (public exploitation). In other countries, they have the specification for the UV films. Some 30% and some even allow up to 70% UV depending on which of the glasses majorly the rear shield.

1 Like

Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by sultaan(m): 1:54pm On Dec 03, 2013
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Dodge-Dakota-extended.jpg

was ridiculous I thought I saw the memo excluding this type of situation all trucks made that has extended cab are tinted even replacement parts for those that don't know see link.

Its Christmas time to raise money for dpo and ig

How about RX300?
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by erico2k2(m): 1:57pm On Dec 03, 2013
Siena: ^^^ If the tint permit also applies to factory tinted glass, then the Nigerian constitution is in utter shambles! Because with the majority of modern automobile, there's no option to fit plain glass, as it was never a factory option. With the light tint being standard.

We're talking light tint here, not Limo black. Factory tint is 70% for the screen and sides, note I am not referring to the darker rears in SUV's.
Well like I said b4 he should have gt the permit,I did mine cost 18k naira that smal fee to pay for these trouble mine the whole window has minor tint,
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by erico2k2(m): 1:59pm On Dec 03, 2013
sultaan: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Dodge-Dakota-extended.jpg

was ridiculous I thought I saw the memo excluding this type of situation all trucks made that has extended cab are tinted even replacement parts for those that don't know see link.

Its Christmas time to raise money for dpo and ig

How about RX300?
Brov this particular law has been in the constitution since the darly 90s,it was when I found myself in same situation as the OP I was made to knw
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by sultaan(m): 4:10pm On Dec 03, 2013
It is not a window just a glass side panel you can't open it.That could have been a tinted .glass panoramic roof

That is what happens when someone who can't make bicycle, makes law on car. The police will see a car with tint but can't spot 10 armed boko haram on their way to an operation. It one thing to fool people its another for people to sick it ip
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by baconline(m): 4:44pm On Dec 03, 2013
Went to d station around 10am,d officer told me I was late dat d court session starts at 8.30am.he told me to come back d next day.I told him no probs and I took my leave.10minutes later my phone rang and d police man said his boss wanted to see me.I got there and I explained my position to her.Eventually I was let off d hook!!! The boss personal asked them to let me go,(really nice woman)I will get d permit asap
I made it very clear that I prefer to pay ten times d fine or even lose my life than to drop a penny for settlement(can't go against God)

5 Likes

Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by Fajzay: 5:34pm On Dec 03, 2013
baconline: Went to d station around 10am,d officer told me I was late dat d court session starts at 8.30am.he told me to come back d next day.I told him no probs and I took my leave.10minutes later my phone rang and d police man said his boss wanted to see me.I got there and I explained my position to her.Eventually I was let off d hook!!! The boss personal asked them to let me go,(really nice woman)I will get d permit asap
I made it very clear that I prefer to pay ten times d fine or even lose my life than to drop a penny for settlement(can't go against God)

You have learnt your lesson. Personally, I find it difficult to stop for those useless police (Not to even mention those standing in those less aggressive states like Ekiti etc). When you see me coming with 150-180KM/hr, with headlamps on, u clear off the highway and par-adventure, its a bend / pot-holes region. I slow down, and if asked to park, I traficate, attempt to park then zoom off. Let them follow me if they have the mind to go head to head with a 4.3L engine. Those people, U can never satisfy them, they must find 'something' missing in ur documents or cars. Can even tell you your plate number is fake!!! Damn. Naija sha!
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by sultaan(m): 6:13pm On Dec 03, 2013
It is not a window just a glass side panel you can't open it.That could have been a tinted .glass panoramic roof

That is what happens when someone who can male bicycle makes law on car the police will see a car with tint but can't spot 10 armed boko haram on their way to an operation. It one thing to fool people its another for people to suck it up

erico2k2:
Brov this particular law has been in the constitution since the darly 90s,it was when I found myself in same situation as the OP I was made to knw

Its almost 2014 some hybrids are selling better than gas cars and we are debating about a law from Buhari era do they know what cars are capable of now?

What law will they pass against driverless cars. Ox and cart law makers
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by abatically(m): 6:25pm On Dec 03, 2013
Fajzay:

You have learnt your lesson. Personally, I find it difficult to stop for those useless police (Not to even mention those standing in those less aggressive states like Ekiti etc). When you see me coming with 150-180KM/hr, with headlamps on, u clear off the highway and par-adventure, its a bend / pot-holes region. I slow down, and if asked to park, I traficate, attempt to park then zoom off. Let them follow me if they have the mind to go head to head with a 4.3L engine. Those people, U can never satisfy them, they must find 'something' missing in ur documents or cars. Can even tell you your plate number is fake!!! Damn. Naija sha!

u might have been doing that and might have paid off, but that is not the right advice to give here. Someone else might do it and might backfire. I have seen policemen shoot at innocent people and claim they are robbers. All it takes is just plant a gun in the car, they might even get promoted for that... Life wasted. U have never come across some really crazy policemen who shoot randomly. Pray it doesn't backfire someday.

3 Likes

Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 05, 2013
erico2k2:
Well like I said b4 he should have gt the permit,I did mine cost 18k naira that smal fee to pay for these trouble mine the whole window has minor tint,

i read somewhere that most of the permits out there are fake. permits would only be given for health reasons and security reason. The average Nigerian hardly qualify to be issued a tint permit.

"The good news however is that the Law
authorizes the appropriate authority (in
this case the IGP) to issue tinted permits
to Nigerians on health and security
grounds if they are so qualified. Persons
desirous of obtaining tinted glass
authorization are advised to follow the
following steps:
(a) Write a formal application to the IGP
for the use of factory tinted glass, stating
the reason for use, bearing in mind that
approval of such application is predicated
on health or security reasons only."

culled from:

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/article/concerning-tinted-vehicle-glass-–-all-you-need-know-csp-frank-mba
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by erico2k2(m): 10:03pm On Dec 05, 2013
saxywale:

i read somewhere that most of the permits out there are fake. permits would only be given for health reasons and security reason. The average Nigerian hardly qualify to be issued a tint permit.

"The good news however is that the Law
authorizes the appropriate authority (in
this case the IGP) to issue tinted permits
to Nigerians on health and security
grounds if they are so qualified. Persons
desirous of obtaining tinted glass
authorization are advised to follow the
following steps:
(a) Write a formal application to the IGP
for the use of factory tinted glass, stating
the reason for use, bearing in mind that
approval of such application is predicated
on health or security reasons only."

culled from:

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/article/concerning-tinted-vehicle-glass-–-all-you-need-know-csp-frank-mba
Thats very correct, but this was ammended and also some COm of Police and DPOs can sign on behalf of the IG,more so they have realized that most modern cars now comes with tinted windows however they have just realized that they can make money from this, to me its fake as the document given to me will take my 10 year Old 5mins to print not joking.
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by sultaan(m): 10:14pm On Dec 05, 2013
baconline: I am not sayn that I am not guilty of the offence,although I sincerely never though that the truck was tinted since its only d back quarter glass that is tinted,if that is an offence then I am ready to pay the price of payn what ever fee to the govt than for me to give any police man a dime.That's my position and I stand by it this law will only help police men to up the price of settlement from their victims

In reality you are not guilty of any offence, there is no crime with that tint if 100% of trucks have.It is the law that is ambiguous.

By the way how do you like the truck, how is it holding up in naija
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by baconline(m): 12:53pm On Dec 06, 2013
sultaan:

In reality you are not guilty of any offence, there is no crime with that tint if 100% of trucks have.It is the law that is ambiguous.

By the way how do you like the truck, how is it holding up in naija
Parts are a little bit scarse,but it is so strong and can withstand much stress,if I am to buy another it will still be dat same type
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by Fhemmmy: 6:33pm On Dec 06, 2013
Subscribing and following diligently
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by sultaan(m): 8:50pm On Dec 06, 2013
baconline:
Parts are a little bit scarse,but it is so strong and can withstand much stress,if I am to buy another it will still be dat same type

Which parts have you found to be scarce.l may be able to help with alternatives parts that work with other brands
Re: My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit by Olaiwolahmed: 2:59am On Dec 09, 2013
Home
About Us
Zones
Departments
Units
Formation List
Police Games
Information
Contact Us
Police Mail

Guest(s) Online: 1973

Quick Menu
Emergency Phone No.
Contact Of Police PROs
Police Station
Press Releases
The Dawn News
E-Policing
Security Profiling Form
Picture Gallery
Downloads
Wanted Persons
Report Lost Goods, Person...
Useful Links
Police Service Commission
Police Cooperative
Special Fraud Unit
Nigerian Newspapers
Police Explains ‘Ban on Vehicle Tinted Glass’
Published: 04 Apr, 2013

The Police High Command has observed with concern the unnecessary controversies that have trailed the recent IGP’s announcement on the ban on the indiscriminate use of tinted glasses on vehicles plying Nigerian roads. The Force has observed that one of the issues that have generated so much contention and sometimes endless arguments between Police Officers enforcing the ban on the one hand, and motorists on the other hand, is the contention by some vehicle owners that there is no valid law restricting the use of tinted vehicle glasses in Nigeria. Others who claim to be aware of the legal restriction argue that because the tints on their glasses are ‘factory-fitted’, they are under no legal obligation to obtain a permit. Yet, others hinge their arguments and objections on the fact that their car tints are not as dark as others and thus, should be excused from the requirements of obtaining Permits. While some of these arguments may sound persuasive or even plausible, they are unfortunately devoid of any known legal foundation. Nigerian Laws are unequivocal in their restrictions on the use of tinted vehicle glasses. For instance, regulation 66(2) of the National Road Traffic Regulations (1997) provides that:‘All glasses fitted to a vehicle shall be clear and transparent to enable persons outside the vehicle see whoever is inside the vehicle and the glasses shall in no way be tinted except as may be approved by the Inspector-General of Police for security reasons.’ (Emphasis mine) However, it will appear that the most comprehensive legislation on the use of tinted car glasses in Nigeria is the Motor Vehicles (Prohibition of Tinted Glass) Act, CAP M21 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria (Formerly Decree No. 6 of 1991). According to Section 1 (1) of this Act, except with the permission of the ‘appropriate authority’ and for ‘good cause’, “no person shall cause any glass fitted to a vehicle to be tinted, shaded, coloured lightly or thickly, darkened or treated in any way so as to render obscure or invisible persons or objects inside the car”. Under the Act, it is also an offence to aid, counsel or procure the commission of the offence. From the reading of the law, it is clear that the law made no distinction between manually fitted tints and factory fitted tints. For purposes of the Law, ‘appropriate authority’ refers to the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) or any other person duly delegated by him, while ‘good cause’ means health or security reasons. The implication of the above is that it is only the IGP or any such person or persons duly authorized by him that can issue a tinted glass permit. In addition, such permit can only be issued on health or security grounds. Owners of vehicles with tinted glasses are therefore mandated by law to seek the authorization of the IGP before deploying such vehicles on our roads, whether such vehicles came with factory tints or whether the tints were manually fitted. However, by the operation of Section 3 of the Act, such persons – importer, buyer, donee - have 14 days grace, from the date of the purchase of the car or the date of arrival of the car in Nigeria (whichever is applicable) to either remove the tinted glasses or obtain the tinted glass permit. Persons convicted for committing offences under this Law are liable to a fine of N2,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or both fine and imprisonment. Where the offence is committed by a corporate body, the Police may by the operation of Section 4(2) of the Act, proceed against its director, proprietor, manager, or other senior officers of the organization. It must be noted that legal restriction on the use of tinted car glasses is not peculiar to Nigeria. There are many countries – both developed and developing - with similar restrictions. The law is designed to promote and protect the collective security of all, through visual transparency. It reduces the chances of persons plying vehicles with opaque glasses from ferrying dangerous objects such as explosive devices, arms, ammunition and other incriminating materials undetected from one part of the country to the other. It is also designed to enhance the smooth discharge of Police duties, by making the monitoring of motorists easy. It is therefore advisable that persons without good reason to use tinted glasses in their cars should refrain from doing so. In Nigeria at the moment, the decision by the Police High Command to ensure a strict enforcement of the relevant laws prohibiting unauthorized use of tinted glasses on our roads is predicated on the need to effectively tackle contemporary security challenges in the land and ultimately serve the common good of all Nigerians. Intelligence reports and empirical statistics at the disposal of the Police Force indicate that majority of crimes relating to terrorism, suicide bombing, kidnapping, gun-running, human trafficking, armed robbery and other related offences are committed with the use of vehicles with tinted glasses. Perpetrators of these heinous crimes hide under the cover of tinted glasses to ply their nefarious trade. It has therefore become a matter of urgent national security importance that indiscriminate use of vehicles with tinted glasses be checked in accordance with our laws. The good news however is that the Law authorizes the appropriate authority (in this case the IGP) to issue tinted permits to Nigerians on health and security grounds if they are so qualified. Persons desirous of obtaining tinted glass authorization are advised to follow the following steps:
Write a formal application to the IGP for the use of factory tinted glasses, stating the reason for use, bearing in mind that approval of such application is predicated on health or security reasons only.
Applications should be accompanied with the following:
Photocopies of all relevant particulars of the vehicle.
Photograph of the vehicle.
Profile of the applicant with relevant background information.
Passport size photograph of the owner of the vehicle.
Any other supporting document/information that may help to justify the request.
The Police authority conscious of the fact that some unscrupulous Police Officers may take advantage of the new regime of enforcement to engage in the harassment and extortion of helpless motorists, has issued strong warnings to all Policemen charged with the responsibility of enforcing the law to ensure that they act within the confines of the enabling laws and the Police Code of Conduct at all times. Command Commissioners of Police have been charged to ensure strict supervision of men deployed for these duties while the IGP Monitoring Units have been empowered to arrest and bring to book any officer found acting in a manner inconsistent with his or her oath of office. Police Officers are also warned to desist from harassing Nigerians who have already obtained valid tinted glass permits, as provided by the extant laws. Finally, the Inspector-General of Police calls for the support, understanding and cooperation of all Nigerians, including corporate citizens as the Force embarks on a strict enforcement of the tinted glass laws.Written by: CSP FRANK MBA

News Flash
Posting Senior Officers - Acps
Date: 22/11/2013
IGP Redeploys 5 AIGs And 2 Cps
Anambra Supplementary Guber Polls: IGP Re-Assures Adequate PROvision Of Security
Date: 28/11/2013
Safety Of Our Ivory Towers:
An Evening With The Inspector General Of Police : The Score ..
Posting Senior Officers - Acps
IGP Redeploys 5 AIGs And 2 Cps
Anambra Supplementary Guber Polls: IGP Re-Assures Adequate PROvision Of Security
Join Us

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 2005 / Which Clean SUV Can 2.8m Go For / I Want To Buy My Mom A Car;

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.