Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,501 members, 7,954,922 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:32 PM

How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? (8971 Views)

Speaking Pidgin To A Child Makes Them Rude / Your Mom Or Dad: Who Do You Speak Often With? / Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by aloib(f): 11:33pm On Jun 14, 2006
well how many of you speak pidgin to ur folks, and how many of you would speak to ur kids, even if i dont marry a naiaja, my kids must know how to speak pidgin, yoruba, tagalog, etc,

i speak pidgin to my folks. even my mum who aint naija, i speak pidgin to her, even anytime shes here an dwe dont want these peeps here to know wat were talking bout, my mum speaks pidgin, lol( broken pidgin),

so i was disscussing wid a friend and she was like why on earth would she speak pidgin to her folks, its like a sort of disrespect, i dont see anythn bad in it, well lets see ur opinions
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by hotangel2(f): 11:39pm On Jun 14, 2006
Wait oo, what is tagalog?

Do i speak pidgin to my dad? Now that i think of it, NO! We speak it when we r u know, making fun or tryna get to the naija thing, but nahh we don't speak pidgin. lol Yourba or english, and when my head spark, i speak hausa to him and translate wat i said.

I only speak pidgin once in 45 blue moons.

I don't think it's disrespect if u do, u would know the kinda level u and ur parents her before u open ur mouth now. Shey u grew up with them.
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by shotta(m): 11:42pm On Jun 14, 2006
no i dont speak pidgin to my parents i only speak pidgin to my friends when i want to be funny or when im playing around
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by aloib(f): 11:44pm On Jun 14, 2006
tagalog na my mama language, lol yeah most of the time is wen we joke now, kai how would i be serious wid my dad and speak pigin to him, na slap go land on my face, like once wen i was sleeping and dad woke me up, i was like o boy leave me alone o, u no know sey i don tire, my brother was like pupsi shook his head and laughed, he was like this gurl is going nutts, yeah i lived wid them, my pidgin wid them depends on how we are at that moment, but now that we are away, since my yoruba is wck, na pidgin i dey always blast.

hot a would u teach u kids pidgin
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by hotangel2(f): 12:10am On Jun 15, 2006
Shuuu, Teach them?? Dem no dey teach person pidgin. U go learn by yourself ni.

I wont kill them if they speak it, just let them know that the world doesn't understand it, and i will NOT stay and watch my kids tun into warri kids. Mmba. na!!
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by aloib(f): 12:11am On Jun 15, 2006
hot angel u don kolo, and i kinda like pidgin o, lol
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by DaHitler(m): 4:22am On Jun 16, 2006
I can't speak pidgin. But, I never considered the language anything other than poorly educated Nigerians struggling to learn English.
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by aloib(f): 6:25am On Jun 16, 2006
hmm afeni, well diff people wid diff perceptions, i really like it, dunno why??
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by dominobaby(f): 11:53pm On Jun 16, 2006
I do speak it as often as anything wt ma siblings bt rarely with ma parents unless we r joking o. But really i speak it more often with ma mum than ma dad.
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by Kadeejah(f): 12:56am On Jun 17, 2006
hhmmm i dont speak pidgin to ma parents
i barely speak pidgin at all
buh i wud onli speak it wen im wit ma cousins or tyrna be funni
cum ta fink of it imma start speakin pidgin ta ma dad nd see wut does wink
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by aloib(f): 3:05am On Jun 17, 2006
lol, just try it its fun , really i still prefer wrapping wid him in pidgin than yoruba
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by Hotstepper(f): 4:01am On Jun 17, 2006
i can't speak, write and hardly hear, infact, i don't only lil ones but once u make a sentence, am lost
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by Badman888(m): 11:29am On Jun 17, 2006
i speak to my mum atimes my dad NO GO AREA with that
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by otokx(m): 1:37pm On Jun 17, 2006
i don't and will not teach my children such when the time comes.
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by aloib(f): 1:52pm On Jun 17, 2006
why is that
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by LAHLAXZA(m): 1:55pm On Jun 17, 2006
I speak pidgin with my mum occasionally.Like many people i thought pidgin english was for the uneducated and underprivileged, but looking at my opinion in retrospect i disagree. Pidgin was the only language in nigeria that was really valid accross ethnic group and social classes, although more popular with some(this is why artists like fela choose to use it as a language medium even though he could speak perfect english).As far as teaching my kids i dont think that will be necessary, they will pick it up if they are in a social  context that permits it. ABI I DEY CRAZE, IF I DEY CRAZE I GO PUT EBA FOR NOSE OOOOOOOOOO   LMAO grin
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by aloib(f): 2:00pm On Jun 17, 2006
lmao, i dont really mean teaching them, ok like if i get married to a chinko, or some other race, i would of cos let them know the diff culture they rep now. let them know yoruba, tagalog, pidgin , my husbands watever, lol
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by LAHLAXZA(m): 2:08pm On Jun 17, 2006
Ooh of course i will definitely let my have an idea of the scope of languages in Nigeria including pidgin.
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by aloib(f): 2:10pm On Jun 17, 2006
yeah, thats it, btw welcome hope u ave fun, if ure male, beware of the gurls in here, lol
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by retro(f): 7:34pm On Jun 17, 2006
I can't speak pidgin. I seriously can't. Sometimes (even though I don't understand) I find it funny, other times, I find it 'weird'. Nobody speaks pidgin on daily basis in my house. Actually, nobody speaks pidgin at all.
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by kamsy(f): 1:02pm On Jun 19, 2006
its no crime speaking pidgin! shocked? i dont speak pidgin to my parents. i hardly use my language igbo to communicate with my dad,can manage with my mum.but for my siblings,pidgin can go. my parents never taught me pidgin,i learnt it myself in school (higher institution.) i catch my fun speaking it to friends i've not seen for a long time. wink
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by afrikangal(f): 10:42am On Jun 20, 2006
there is nothing bad in speaking pidgin language.i speak it to my younger sister and my kool friends.dat is if i,m bored.but most people hate it when u speak it.cos they believe is 4 people of lower class.i mean who r less opportuned.it is left 4 my kids to speak it as far they can speak d correct english.
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by egus(m): 1:03pm On Jun 20, 2006
In most east african countries swahili is the national language apart from the official e.g English in the case of Kenya. We all know that pidgin is the only medium of communication amongst Nigerians of all works of life and I feel it is high time we give it a national recognition.
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by oah333(m): 1:02am On Jun 21, 2006
I grew up speaking grammatically correct English at home because my parents were very particular about it. I am grateful for that. We may say that pidgin English is more widely spoken within Nigeria, but then Nigeria is not the whole world. It has always been a source of irritation when I see Nigerians over here struggling to knit sentences together in the same language that they were actually taught in school with.
While in my last two years in the university, I learnt how to speak pidgin English and can now smoothly switch between both. So I can converse with the Queen as well as the tomato seller at Uselu Market in Benin.
The issue here is that I got solidly drilled in universally spoken English BEFORE venturing into learning pidgin English.
Whether we want to admit it or not, learning both languages the other way round is not very wise. Pidgin English may sound cool, but what seems cool isn't always cool. I can't have my kids jabbering away like bus-conductors plying the Ugbowo-Ring Road route in Benin while they are still in their formative years.
Finally, pidgin to my parents? Never.
My parents to their kids? Never.
My parents to the neighbours back then? Sometimes.
Us to the neighbours? Sometimes.
All in all: I have the best of both worlds, but still prefer speaking correct English.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by damygurl(f): 1:05am On Jun 21, 2006
can't speak it dat good so nope!!
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by WesleyanA(f): 1:09am On Jun 21, 2006
I don't + I can't.
my parents would probably think i took some drug overdose. they don't speak it either.
Just Yoruba and English.
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by Grizzly(m): 3:01pm On Jul 05, 2006
Why not?!
ITs kind of like a code of mine that has been deciphered.
I speak pidgin english nearly all the time, so anytime i resort to Proper English,
Whatever is spoken about that time is more often than not a lie.

Morals: I speak English when i lie, shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by iice(f): 4:03pm On Jul 05, 2006
I speak a mixture of english, pidgin and Tagalog 2 my mom, but if she doesn't want d peeps here 2 know what we r talking about, we do a mixture of pidgin and hausa tongue, Me sha if i get pikin, i go teach am all d language wey i know oh but pidgin go b hin 1st tongue lol, As for my family members, i can't speak straight english 2 them, always pidgin, even when i was in high school, i used 2 get fined and punished 2 speaking pidgin but how pesin go do now? Na my language(coz i dont speak my dad's language) so i must blast the thing anyhow i want oh, All the naija peeps here, i no fit dey speak english 2 them oh, be like say we don dey form dey 4get our fatherland na lie!!! I no go let am happen! cheesy Case in point: my bro gf neva go naija, she na chinko, but she dey speak pidgin coz we dey blast am anyhow 4 her wey she gas learn am oh wink grin
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by aloib(f): 5:23am On Jul 06, 2006
iice:

I speak a mixture of english, pidgin and Tagalog 2 my mom, but if she doesn't want d peeps here 2 know what we r talking about, we do a mixture of pidgin and hausa tongue, Me sha if i get pikin, i go teach am all d language wey i know oh but pidgin go b hin 1st tongue lol, As for my family members, i can't speak straight english 2 them, always pidgin, even when i was in high school, i used 2 get fined and punished 2 speaking pidgin but how pesin go do now? Na my language(because i don't speak my dad's language) so i must blast the thing anyhow i want oh, All the naija peeps here, i no fit dey speak english 2 them oh, be like say we don dey form dey 4get our fatherland na lie!!! I no go let am happen! cheesy Case in point: my bro girlfriend never go naija, she na chinko, but she dey speak pidgin because we dey blast am anyhow 4 her wey she gas learn am oh wink grin

thats why i love my sis so much, lol does ur mum also speak hausa, thats cool o lmao at pidgin being the 1st language, i was surprised at ur bros gf still surprised oo, lol i need to step up my sis in law, or maybe she shuld come live wid s----n for a month, shell learn it straight, lol
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by iice(f): 3:02pm On Jul 06, 2006
@aloib, for real oh, my mom fit speak hausa and she sabi few words in ibo, yoruba and my popsi's lang so that when she come across nigerians, she go fit say yes she been really adapt naija culture, she even reads the news about naija everyday just 2 know how the country's doin oh, I tire for the woman oh LOL,
Yes, u gas get the your sis-in-law 2 learn pidgin, infact put her around enuff naija peeps and she go learn am, nobody go gas halla her make she learn, she go tell herself say she gas learn LOL,
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by Kendra(f): 8:46pm On Jul 08, 2006
wuts pidgin?
Re: How Many Of You Speak Pidgin To Your Parents? by Rhodalyn(f): 8:47pm On Jul 08, 2006
it's a kind Of language lol cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Separated After 3 Months, Divorced 2 Years Later! / Extended Family Or Nuclear Family, Which Do You Prefer? / What Do You Hope To Be Remembered For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.