Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,543 members, 7,770,421 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:29 AM

How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read (31298 Views)

Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident / Career As A Writer - Little Things That Go A Long Way In Selling Your Book / How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by UjSizzle(f): 1:20pm On Nov 23, 2013
Came across this, and thought it worth sharing.

This recent piece, written by Todd Hirsch, the Calgary-based chief economist of ATB Financial and author of "The Boiling Frog Dilemma: Saving Canada from Economic Decline", will serve our young graduates as they navigate the job market, even in this most difficult time. The message is simple: whatever your hand finds to do, begin from there. I am well aware that the Nigerian terrain is quite different from the Canadian one on which the author based his thesis but the inherent lesson cuts across boundaries as it simply teaches that fresh graduates should be wise. Here is what Todd Hirsch wrote:

Dear Applicant: Thank you for your letter inquiring about positions in our economics department. At this time, we have no openings. However, I will keep your letter on file should an appropriate job become available. At least, that's what I am required to tell you. But here's what I'd really like to say to you - and to every recent economics graduate who sends me the same letter.

First, I know it's lousy for bachelor of arts graduates looking for a job "in their field." Twenty years ago, it was lousy for me too. It's almost always lousy. In a way, it's kind of supposed to be - a small rite of passage to welcome you into the working world. It's sort of like being froshed.

But if I may, I would like to offer some advice.

Don't be too fixated on landing a job "in your field." The truth is, you don't yet have a field. In university, you majored in economics, but that may or may not be your eventual field of professional work. The world is full of possibilities; limiting your search to an economist job is a terribly narrow way to start out.

You chose to study economics, which doesn't necessarily imply that you'll be an economist. Rather, it implies you have an aptitude for problem solving. You're probably good at analyzing data. You can see different sides of an argument. And I'll bet you're excellent at finding solutions to problems. These are essential skills required in hundreds of rewarding (and lucrative) fields of professional employment.

Your ultimate field may actually be in sales for a biotech firm. It may be analyzing crime statistics for the city police. It may even be a rock star (just ask Mick Jagger). The world is full of "fields."

What you're facing is a common problem: BA graduates confuse their major area of study with what they expect to be their eventual careers. It doesn't matter if it's a degree in history, film studies, sociology, or comparative feminist literature.

You've successfully navigated your way through a four-year degree. Congratulations! That is no small accomplishment. But now you're embarking on a totally different program of learning - one that will last the rest of your life. It's called "What am I here for?"

That may sound all spiritual and existential, but don't let it throw you off. It just means that your challenge from here on is to find what you're good at, and keep getting better and better at it.

An apology, by the way, on behalf of society: We are sorry if we led you to believe that attending university would land you a good job. That's not actually true. A polytechnic college will do this - and the job opportunities available right now are fantastic. A good option for you might be to continue post-university studies at a polytechnic.

But your university education, at least at the bachelor of arts level, was never intended to land you a job. It was intended to make you a more complete thinker. It was intended to teach you how to absorb complex information and make reasoned arguments. It was, quite simply, intended to teach you how to learn. Those are skills that you'll use in any field of work.

Open your mind to all sorts of job possibilities. Don't be too proud to start out in the service industry, or where you might get your fingernails dirty. Talk to as many people as you can about their career paths. But never, ever, allow yourself to think you've wasted your time in university if you don't land a job as an economist.

Meanwhile, be encouraged and stay positive. And yes, I will keep your letter on file. But my guess is that when a position in my economics group eventually opens up, you'll no longer be available.

SOURCE: www.

88 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by gal10(f): 5:46pm On Nov 23, 2013
@ uju- i read it some days ago on naija hot jobs and indeed it got me thinking! very useful especially in our Nigerian environment! my favourite line: ''Don't be too proud to start out in the service industry, or where you might get your fingernails dirty. Talk to as many people as you can about their career paths. But never, ever, allow yourself to think you've wasted your time in university if you don't land a job as an economist''.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by UjSizzle(f): 5:37am On Nov 24, 2013
I saw it on Hotnigerianjobs, dunno why the link won't show, but i think they lifted it from Thisday newspaper smiley

It's really helpful article for Nigerian job seekers with all that university degree craze in them. A good number of people seek other job fields because they can't get what they studied, instead of thinking 'maybe i'm not so good at this afterall' smiley

3 Likes

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Davo93(m): 6:20am On Nov 24, 2013
Hmmmm... The letter is thought provoking. I hope our graduates pick something out of this!

Thanks for sharing.
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by jaybee3(m): 6:36am On Nov 24, 2013
No brainer i tell ya

Bang on point

It will help if students have access to career advisory services at their respective uni's though

2 Likes

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by UjSizzle(f): 9:08am On Nov 24, 2013
jay bee: No brainer i tell ya

Bang on point

It will help if students have access to career advisory services at their respective uni's though
There are no such units in Nigerian Universities--atleast none that i've seen before.
Even the Guidance and Counselling units in secondary schools don't help with career choice, all they do is employ reverend sisters to teach you what you already know.

10 Likes

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Shaakasi(f): 7:03pm On Nov 24, 2013
smiley
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 26, 2013
Bachelor of arts, hmmm. Ok.

I guess that means that all that doesn't quite apply to Bachelors of Science, Medicine and Technology.
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by CrazyMan(m): 7:59am On Dec 08, 2013
Ihedinobi: Bachelor of arts, hmmm. Ok.

I guess that means that all that doesn't quite apply to Bachelors of Science, Medicine and Technology.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by rottable(m): 4:06pm On Dec 08, 2013
Thank you bro, our course adviser don't tell us these. I will apply these principle when I graduate.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 20, 2013
Insightful and helpful. Thanks for sharing
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Tomoarika(m): 9:15am On Dec 22, 2013
Inspiring. Thx for sharing.
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jan 10, 2014
I think Seun needs to create a button for favorite posts.

8 Likes

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by fpeter(f): 8:44am On Jul 07, 2014
Great!

1 Like

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Rexphobia(m): 8:45am On Jul 07, 2014
bookmarking....
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Onlinebizexpert(m): 8:45am On Jul 07, 2014
start online importation, quote me if interested
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by iceberylin(m): 8:47am On Jul 07, 2014
nice tips...
buh that's 4long years from today...
will i remember this
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by haibe(m): 8:50am On Jul 07, 2014
cool
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by jnrbayano(m): 8:53am On Jul 07, 2014
ujsizzle: Came across this, and thought it worth sharing.

This recent piece, written by Todd Hirsch, the Calgary-based chief economist of ATB Financial and author of "The Boiling Frog Dilemma: Saving Canada from Economic Decline", will serve our young graduates as they navigate the job market, even in this most difficult time. The message is simple: whatever your hand finds to do, begin from there. I am well aware that the Nigerian terrain is quite different from the Canadian one on which the author based his thesis but the inherent lesson cuts across boundaries as it simply teaches that fresh graduates should be wise. Here is what Todd Hirsch wrote:

SOURCE: www.
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by OLAplusONE(m): 8:54am On Jul 07, 2014
Get me some money, and I wl start well as a young graduate....if u dnt av money u gat no IdeA

3 Likes

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by bizngr(f): 8:59am On Jul 07, 2014
Very insightful

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by BiitchAmMe: 9:06am On Jul 07, 2014
I no qet anytin tu comment...because

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 07, 2014
So true, #TeamEconomists
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Maczeelly(m): 9:09am On Jul 07, 2014
Hmmm.........True talk
Don't disperse days of little beginin............

Though ma beginin may b small bt my latter shall b greatly increase

1 Like

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by monlawal(m): 9:11am On Jul 07, 2014
Onlinebizexpert: start online importation, quote me if interested
send me a mail..... monlawal@gmail.com
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:15am On Jul 07, 2014
Nice and informative!
Last Bullet
But the goats still wont listen!
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by anonimi: 9:17am On Jul 07, 2014
One very important thing I noticed in going through some oyinbo CVs/resumes is that they do a lot of FREE work and INTERNship, what we call industrial attachments here.
Our graduates need to adopt such attitude of doing free work to gain experience and be so useful that the company will want to find a way to retain you by offering a salary when you want to leave.

5 Likes

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by LaurelP(m): 9:17am On Jul 07, 2014
Make I finish wetin I dey do
I go sidon well read am
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Vincenzi: 9:20am On Jul 07, 2014
Truth is,many graduates are egostical and brainwashed. They expect themselves to land a high paying job after school.

8 Likes

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by benswagtt(m): 9:21am On Jul 07, 2014
I dey observe 4 future purpose...more comment pls

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline / Who Must You Be To End Your Struggle With Money? / Physically Challenged Man Is A Street Sweeper In Akwa Ibom (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.