Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,075 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? (33567 Views)

How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) / Trailer Loses Tyre While Driving On Lagos Road This Morning / When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by nikkyshyne(f): 8:07pm On Nov 23, 2013
Hello house. I need your help, how do I prevent leg/toe cramps while driving?

I have been active in driving for the past 3 months and I experienced my 2nd cramp today. Thank God I was close to my house when it started. It was really bad.

So guys, what really causes it? How do one prevent it? And what can we do when it happens?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 23, 2013
Just keep driving wink
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by nikkyshyne(f): 8:37pm On Nov 23, 2013
^The pains won't allow you to continue sef. I know one thing for sure, pull over. But when 1 is on the highway or a very delicate location, how do one pull over?

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 23, 2013
Your body frame, sitting posture, steering, foot pedals, and seat position matters a lot when driving. For maximum safety and comfortable driving position, it is recommended that you give a space of at least 25cm from your body to steering wheel which contains an Airbag, your legs should be able to touch the pedals comfortably but not tightly cramped underneath the dashboard in the driver's footwell. Always sit upright and well into the seat back of your car. Don't slouch or sit on the edge of your seat, don't recline your seat far backwards, don't adjust your seat too close to the dashboard/steering or too far in a manner that negatively affects your sitting position/posture.
You can also adjust your seat height, seat bottom recline angle, seat thigh/calf length, seat back recline angle, lumber support angle, head rest length, and angle, distance from seat to steering, steering tilt, and telescope angle, pedal angle and depth etc to comfortable positions/angles which suits ur posture, body size, and driving patterns. If possible, you can buy after market seat boosters (check your car's owners manual first before purchasing), you can also relax your feet, break your driving and take some rests especially when You're driving for long periods. If your car's cockpit is too tightly cramped or your frame is too big for your car, I will advice you buy a bigger car. And if your feet can't touch the pedals even after you've adjusted the afore mentioned adjustables, I recommend you should get a smaller car.

28 Likes

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by nikkyshyne(f): 9:14pm On Nov 23, 2013
I think I will adjust my seat height. I think it is pretty low. Thanks lomomike that's a nice 1.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by thorpido(m): 9:55pm On Nov 23, 2013
Lomomike wrote a good one.

I'll like to add that you need a bit of exercise too.Your leg muscles are 'too cold' and you need to tone them a bit.

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by dgitrader(m): 1:09pm On Nov 24, 2013
In addition to d hieght, also adjust it to have very good leg space to drive comfortably. U can drive for many years without cramps, if always well seated.
But U DINT STATE if its auto or manual trans.
nikkyshyne: I think I will adjust my seat height. I think it is pretty low. Thanks lomomike that's a nice 1.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by nikkyshyne(f): 1:12pm On Nov 24, 2013
dgitrader: In addition to d hieght, also adjust it to have very good leg space to drive comfortably. U can drive for many years without cramps, if always well seated.
But U DINT STATE if its auto or manual trans.
It is auto.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
all you need is a breal when doing a long journey stop and work at the service station etc

just like in any work you take 10 - 2 hours break the same rules apply to driving
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by omanifrank(m): 2:49pm On Nov 24, 2013
kip driving
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by anselm791(m): 2:55pm On Nov 24, 2013
You really need to relax and take a deep breath. I'm not sure what's making u tensed but deep breath exercise really works magic. If that don't work, see a doc, might be pathologic.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by sonofanarchy(m): 2:58pm On Nov 24, 2013
What's the name of your car❔
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Nikapetrelli(f): 3:02pm On Nov 24, 2013
Me no sabi drive,so no advice to ya
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by BE811APP: 3:04pm On Nov 24, 2013
Adjustt d Seat..
Is it a manual or Automatic drive
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by DisGuy: 3:05pm On Nov 24, 2013
Adjust your sitting position

and get fit grin
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 24, 2013
learn to relax you muscles when driving.when i started driving i experienced cramps too.it may be that you push the pedals down with a lot of pressure from your foot and legs.when the car is parked, practice holding your brake and acceleration then as you push the pedals let your heel rest on the car's floor and use the front of your feet to continue.this way the pressure from your upper leg rests on your heel.also adjust your seat and posture..there is no perfect way to drive and like lomomike typed keep adjusting until you find what suits you

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by free2ryhme: 3:11pm On Nov 24, 2013
park the car

1 Like

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by NumberOne2(m): 3:16pm On Nov 24, 2013
Naija is hot so its common for folks to sweat. If you sweat a lot, there is a problem.
Cramps are caused mostly by salt depetion in the body. Salt is lost when you sweat.

Sports people take salt pill to prevents cramp during the game.
You should increase your salt and water intake. Depending on how long you sweat or drive, you should take perhaps 2 - 3 spoon full mixed in a glass of water every 2 days.This is not nice to drink but it helps. Take this prefarably before the (hot sun) like around 10am - 11am in the morning. Also drink a lot of water.

If you can lick salt directly, no problem. DO NOT take maggi or other seasoning cubes. It is not the same.

If the above is too strong for you, you can check your local pharmacy. They may have some salt pills.
You can also read more online about SALT and CRAMP prevention

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by paix(m): 3:31pm On Nov 24, 2013
You can engage the cruise control if you're traveling, that will enable you to relax your legs. You can also move the seat backwards (if you're tall) so that your legs are stretched out.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by protocol(m): 3:36pm On Nov 24, 2013
get a driver!
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 24, 2013
New driver? Preexisting medical condition?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by nikkyshyne(f): 3:58pm On Nov 24, 2013
Somorin#1:
New driver? Preexisting medical condition?

Not a new driver. Just became 'active' 3 months ago. And no medical issues.

paix: You can engage the cruise control if you're traveling, that will enable you to relax your legs. You can also move the seat backwards (if you're tall) so that your legs are stretched out.
Yep, I'm tall. Adjusted the seats today and seems pretty cool. Will observe the situation.

Number_One: Naija is hot so its common for folks to sweat. If you sweat a lot, there is a problem.

Naaa, I don't really sweat, moreover the ac is on.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by blackedwin: 4:06pm On Nov 24, 2013
if your driving for long then i will advice you take off your shoes to allow for blood circulation,please do not leave your shoes in the accelerator area put in under your seat or preferably the passenger area
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by adsamsom: 4:07pm On Nov 24, 2013
Buy an Automatic Car and use cruise control cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Review Of Mercedes-Maybach 6 Cabriolet: Linda Ikeji's 2019 Dream Car / Tokyolt: World's First 'Dual-Mode Vehicle' To Begin Operation In Japan / Is The Mercedes Benz G65 AMG The Stupidest Car Ever Made

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.