Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,266 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? (33555 Views)

How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) / Trailer Loses Tyre While Driving On Lagos Road This Morning / When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by nikkyshyne(f): 4:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
adsamsom: Buy an Automatic Car and use cruise control cheesy
It is an automatic car.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by penzino(m): 4:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
Using cruise control in an auto car is a good option!
What happens when one cnt afford a car wit cruise control function? The thing to do is to try wriggling ur toe, it helps a lot, it helps with the flow of blood more rapidly to the legs!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 24, 2013
lomomike: Your body frame, sitting posture, steering, foot pedals, and seat position matters a lot when driving. For maximum safety and comfortable driving position, it is recommended that you give a space of at least 25cm from your body to steering wheel which contains an Airbag, your legs should be able to touch the pedals comfortably but not tightly cramped underneath the dashboard in the driver's footwell. Always sit upright and well into the seat back of your car. Don't slouch or sit on the edge of your seat, don't recline your seat far backwards, don't adjust your seat too close to the dashboard/steering or too far in a manner that negatively affects your sitting position/posture.
You can also adjust your seat height, seat bottom recline angle, seat thigh/calf length, seat back recline angle, lumber support angle, head rest length, and angle, distance from seat to steering, steering tilt, and telescope angle, pedal angle and depth etc to comfortable positions/angles which suits ur posture, body size, and driving patterns. If possible, you can buy after market seat boosters (check your car's owners manual first before purchasing), you can also relax your feet, break your driving and take some rests especially when You're driving for long periods. If your car's cockpit is too tightly cramped or your frame is too big for your car, I will advice you buy a bigger car. And if your feet can't touch the pedals even after you've adjusted the afore mentioned adjustables, I recommend you should get a smaller car.
in addition to my earlier comment, check these pictures for reference.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by shitshappen(m): 4:54pm On Nov 24, 2013
I think the size of the vehicle and you frame matter a lot. I experienced it a while back when I was using a heavy SUV, for an average body frame. Today I use a sedan and it only happens after like four hrs of driving, unlike 30- 30 minutes before
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Originalsly: 5:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

just like in any work you take 10 - 2 hours break the same rules apply to driving
Hmmm....do let me know when such place hiring...I been dreaming Of such a job.@confee.... Before you drive do some brisk walking....then maybe after an hour driving you should pull over and exercise again.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Sike(m): 5:15pm On Nov 24, 2013
$on of anarchy:
What's the name of your car❔
And what's your Problem with the name of the car?
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by erico2k2(m): 5:59pm On Nov 24, 2013
nikkyshyne: Hello house. I need your help, how do I prevent leg/toe cramps while driving?

I have been active in driving for the past 3 months and I experienced my 2nd cramp today. Thank God I was close to my house when it started. It was really bad.

So guys, what really causes it? How do one prevent it? And what can we do when it happens?

Thanks.
Cramp is not caused by your driving,rather a medical condition, no movement and toomuch movement can cause cramps, as in footballers,so you need even circulation on that part of body, I recon you do more exercise and see your Doctor and dont drive more than 3hrs, if you do, take an hour break somewhere.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by browncool(m): 6:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
If you are pregnant, you obviously can't prevent or stop it it will come up at any time all you need do is for someone close to you to massage it while you stop the car immediately
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Coolie89(m): 6:28pm On Nov 24, 2013
Back in d days we used to call cramps 'Muscle Pull' lol
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 24, 2013
Number_One:
You should increase your salt and water intake. Depending on how long you sweat or drive, you should take perhaps 2 - 3 spoon full mixed in a glass of water every 2 days.This is not nice to drink but it helps.

Terrible advice. Too much salt ingestion isn't good for anyone. Hardening of the arteries, high blood pressure are just the first of a long list of side effects.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 24, 2013
adsamsom: Buy an Automatic Car and use cruise control cheesy

You're obviously not reading other responses.

The OP has already stated her car is an automatic.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by erico2k2(m): 6:50pm On Nov 24, 2013
Siena:

Terrible advice. Too much salt ingestion isn't good for anyone. Hardening of the arteries, high blood pressure are just the first of a long list of side effects.
Thats what you get from ignorance, immagine being adviced to increase salt intake when low blood presure was not a question lol
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by danieee(m): 7:05pm On Nov 24, 2013
thorpido: Lomomike wrote a good one.

I'll like to add that you need a bit of exercise too.Your leg muscles are 'too cold' and you need to tone them a bit.

very necessary.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by a2personal2013: 7:37pm On Nov 24, 2013
Crumps mostly occurs when there is decreased oxygen supply to the extremities ( ie the upper and lower limbs ). Your best bet is to pull over, exercise the legs by flexing and relaxing them. Once you take a little walk you should feel better.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Ikenna351(m): 7:58pm On Nov 24, 2013
nikkyshyne: It is auto.

What do you expect when most part of your body are inactive while driving auto transmission. As if its not enough, Nigerian female driver's sitting position while driving is not helping matters.

For a start, shift that driver's seat back and adjust the height position. Unfortunately, 98%, if not 99.5%, of our females want to be seeing their front bumpers while driving, to the point that they would shift their seat forward and move their bodies so close to the steering wheel that one starts to imagine which part of their bodies turn the steering wheel? Their hands or their b.. em.. em... chests? grin But seriously, ever considered what would happen when you crash into something or another car smashed onto your front? Even before the Airbag sensor will signal to its ECU to deploy the Steering Airbag, the steering wheel would have been pushed onto your chest and crush your ribs, lungs, heart, etc. Each time i see ladies behind the wheels, i would wonder who taught them how to drive. But when i do see some driving school instructors sitting in that manner too, i would rest my case. I wonder how you guys drive long distance in that wrong sitting position, especially behind the wheel? Would that not paralyse one?

Manual Transmission helps ones 2 legs to be active while driving (including your waist), since you will always be moving both legs, up and down, while depressing clutch and releasing accelerator in the process. Your two hands will be very active as well, since you will be shifting stick with right hand, while the left hand takes care of the steering wheel. A very good form of exercise. Notwithstanding, proper sitting position will go along way to to help the situation.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by ogtavia(m): 7:58pm On Nov 24, 2013
nikkyshyne: Hello house. I need your help, how do I prevent leg/toe cramps while driving?

I have been active in driving for the past 3 months and I experienced my 2nd cramp today. Thank God I was close to my house when it started. It was really bad.

So guys, what really causes it? How do one prevent it? And what can we do when it happens?

Thanks.

do u drive without your shoes?..if you do,guess its one of d reasons,what type of transmission does your car have,is it auto or manual?...what is ur sitting posture while driving,do u move d seat close to d wheel such dt moving ur legs while driving is difficult,had d same experience when i started driving,nt because i couldnt adjust d seat,d seat couldnt go far back enough to accomodate my legs,do u av enough leg room?if u drive a manual transmission,au often to do u change gears...beside driving,do u also walk,like exercising ur legs and ur feet..do u wear high heeled shoes all d time,i am nt a medical practitioner,but one thing i know is dt if blood doesnt circulate around ur bones especially ur feet,it could lead to cramps,after driving try as much as possible to exercise ur feet...
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Godson201333(m): 8:20pm On Nov 24, 2013
It is because you started driving and i know naija women they would shift the seat and they booooobs touching steering lol whyy wont you experience cramps on your leg?You need to feel relax while driving so its just a matter of time and you will be fine,
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by PMPhoenix(m): 8:43pm On Nov 24, 2013
undecidedadjust d sit, sheeesh
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by nikkyshyne(f): 8:47pm On Nov 24, 2013
Lol @ Ikenna.

Thank you all so much. Your comments are appreciated and will put them to use kiss
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by SAFO(m): 8:52pm On Nov 24, 2013
Increase your potassium intake i.e Bananas, tomatoes, potatoes etc. Also drink a lot of water so your kidneys can do their job and clean the impurities out of your blood.

Continuous muscle cramps lead to tearing down of the muscles and releasing substances from inside the muscle cells that can leak into your blood stream. High levels of these substances can cause issues like rhabdomyolysis which can cause kidney damage and be deadly if it goes unchecked. If your urine is red or brownish in color, there's a good chance that you might have rhabdo and your kidneys aren't functioning properly.

I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night grin
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by halibeb(f): 8:53pm On Nov 24, 2013
omanifrank: kip driving
he needs ur advice
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by nikkyshyne(f): 9:09pm On Nov 24, 2013
ogtavia:

do u drive without your shoes?..if you do,guess its one of d reasons
The 1st time I had a cramp, I was without shoes. My leg ached and my toes spread wide apart. I had on my shoes the 2nd time it happened but my toes weren't far apart.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by nikkyshyne(f): 9:10pm On Nov 24, 2013
SAFO: Increase your potassium intake i.e Bananas, tomatoes, potatoes etc. Also drink a lot of water so your kidneys can do their job and clean the impurities out of your blood.

Continuous muscle cramps lead to tearing down of the muscles and releasing substances from inside the muscle cells that can leak into your blood stream. High levels of these substances can cause issues like rhabdomyolysis which can cause kidney damage and be deadly if it goes unchecked. If your urine is red or brownish in color, there's a good chance that you might have rhabdo and your kidneys aren't functioning properly.

Wow! This is creepy. I do believe my body system is on point undecided
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by SAFO(m): 9:13pm On Nov 24, 2013
nikkyshyne: Wow! This is creepy. I do believe my body system is on point undecided

Good but always drink lots of water, that's one of nature's best cures.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by swtcharissa(f): 9:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
My dear ur body is only telling u that u simply lack CALCIUM,so check by a pharmacy n get some calcium tablets,its one in a day,and u will feel better,if u like snail,this is the time to consume much of it,and also try cracking some biscuit bone
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by charles316: 9:15pm On Nov 24, 2013
erico2k2:
Cramp is not caused by your driving,rather a medical condition, no movement and toomuch movement can cause cramps, as in footballers,so you need even circulation on that part of body, I recon you do more exercise and see your Doctor and dont drive more than 3hrs, if you do, take an hour break somewhere.

Thank you for this. I agree that her position should be altered and co. Ultimately,she needs to EXERCISE , period!!! Exercise increases blood flow to every part of the body so it will solve that your cramp problem.

Nigerians no like to dey exercise.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by swtcharissa(f): 9:17pm On Nov 24, 2013
SAFO: Increase your potassium intake i.e Bananas, tomatoes, potatoes etc. Also drink a lot of water so your kidneys can do their job and clean the impurities out of your blood.

My dear it is lack of calcium not potassium,am talking from experience

Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by SAFO(m): 9:20pm On Nov 24, 2013
swtcharissa: My dear it is lack of calcium not potassium,am talking from experience

My dear, low levels of both calcium and potassium can cause muscle cramps ... oh and magnesium as well

It's best to take a complete vitamin pill that includes all the supplements your body needs at the right dosage ... daily
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by aieromon(m): 9:20pm On Nov 24, 2013
It all boils down to her sitting position.
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by ogtavia(m): 11:08pm On Nov 24, 2013
nikkyshyne: The 1st time I had a cramp, I was without shoes. My leg ached and my toes spread wide apart. I had on my shoes the 2nd time it happened but my toes weren't far apart.

then d solution is more than just wearing shoes,believe me,many ppl have given you excellent advice on dis thread but i will add to wat they've all said....RELAX,driving is more fun if you relax,let your motions me fluid while driving and even more than ur motions(by motion,i mean in-car movements,driving is more fun when you relax,take a good look @ d pictures above,they are quite explicit on d best driving postures...and above all,you will grow out of it as your legs and feets get more accustomed to it,ask career drivers,they will tell you...
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Nov 24, 2013

Thanks.
Put on the right driving shoes
Re: How Do I Prevent Leg Cramps While Driving? by soulglo: 1:43am On Nov 25, 2013
I don't see how driving could possibly cause leg cramps. Are you pedaling the car

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is The Mercedes Benz G65 AMG The Stupidest Car Ever Made / Tokyolt: World's First 'Dual-Mode Vehicle' To Begin Operation In Japan / Fire Guts Mechanic Shop In Delta, Cars Destroyed (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.