Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,797 members, 7,817,302 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) (7905 Views)

Lagos Light Rail Will Start Functioning By December- Ambode ( Photos ) / What Is Going On With The Lagos Light Rail Project / Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 26, 2013
Mynd_44:
What is the essence of this thread?

Ask him....am sure he did even read the OP.
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by kennykg(m): 7:49am On Nov 26, 2013
Escalators for elderly ? How do does elderly citizen used the overhead bridges ?... Even that escalator can cause some of them shock cause they not used it before and adjusting to the movement...
For kids ? Escalators or stairs is safe even the stairs is a form of exercise for them...

I think the reason for the escalators not been there should be power supply, management,safety and design.

If all states can work this way. It's one thing to smile about.
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by lokzie: 7:56am On Nov 26, 2013
Aren't the trains going to run on electricity? (I know light rails do) If so, then they must have other reasons for not installing escalators in the station(s).

Anyway, a one eyed man is king among the blind. Kudos to Lagos state. Eko o Ni baje
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 26, 2013
@mynd 44 ..thanks for sharing the link(thread) to this same topic which the OP opened two months ago.
@OP mynd 44 has a point. And Geez is very right. There are several. I will repeat myself. There are several train stations in UK with only stairs for you to change platform. All u need to do is to look at the screen and find ur location to know which platform u are headed.
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Nobody: 7:58am On Nov 26, 2013
The station is large and spacious enough to accommodate future upgrades. The escalators can wait until the Power Roadmap/privatization transformation is in full effect over the next 2, 3 years. By then power will be more abundant.

1 Like

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by dridowu: 8:03am On Nov 26, 2013
d only problem op have is escalator anything after dat is superb
Lagos is moving forward

1 Like

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by 2kass(m): 8:21am On Nov 26, 2013
Eko Onibaje ohhhh
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Atk01(f): 9:02am On Nov 26, 2013
Fashola is working, Lagos is working.
Pay your tax.

1 Like

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by PapaBrowne(m): 9:06am On Nov 26, 2013
We need to upgrade our excellence in this country.

Everything being built is of such a low standard that you wonder whether the people running these projects have ever left the shores of this country. Every project being held by both Government and Privates of so ugly with very poor design aesthetics that you wonder whether

Why is this station so ugly? It surely isn't because of a lack of money because many of these projects in Nigeria are much more expensive than what you see outside.

Fashola builds railway station, they look like Bangladeshi prisons.
Stella Oduah renovates airports, they end up looking like a Romanian bus station.
Julius Berger builds a 10 lane road in Abuja, it looks like it was built in the 60's.
Our restaurants look like crap, so do our cribs and our offices.
What happened to design?? We must begin to upgrade our quest for excellence in this country. This is appalling.

Look at pictures for the Gautrain in South Africa when it was under construction:
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Sandton_Gautrain_Station.JPG
[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by iterator25: 9:13am On Nov 26, 2013
PapaBrowne: We need to upgrade our excellence in this country.

Everything being built is of such a low standard that you wonder whether the people running these projects have ever left the shores of this country. Every project being held by both Government and Privates of so ugly with very poor design aesthetics that you wonder whether

Why is this station so ugly? It surely isn't because of a lack of money because many of these projects in Nigeria are much more expensive than what you see outside.

Stella Oduah renovates airports, they end up looking like a Romanian bus station.
Julius Berger builds a 10 lane road in Abuja, it looks like it was built in the 60's.
What happened to design?? We must begin to upgrade our quest for excellence in this country. This is appalling.

Look at pictures for the Gautrain in South Africa when it was under construction:
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Sandton_Gautrain_Station.JPG
[/img]

Thank you jare, wouldn't expect much from people used to 'economizing' in all measures..

If you want a Mega city, start from little thingz like this
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by iterator25: 9:23am On Nov 26, 2013
Mynd_44:
You are the one missing the point. Would you advocate they put escalators on pedestrian bridges too cos of senior citizens and children?

How do you intend to power the escalators if they are installed?

What of the extra cost of purchasing and installing them?

If you are so concerned, when you want to climb those stairs, help any senior citizen you see. That's how to be a good citizen
You don't necessarily need to power the escalators all the time. Aside that, billions of naira is being pumped into this project, so I don't see any reason why they couldn't give it a cutting edge design with standard facilities..
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by iterator25: 9:25am On Nov 26, 2013
dridowu: d only problem op have is escalator anything after dat is superb
Lagos is moving forward
smh
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 26, 2013
You can't make this up. I know the innate bigot would come on the thread to express his hatred for any laudable project in Lagos. However, just to mask his bigotry and bias this time - he had to put this laudable project in the same box, with other wasteful and substandard projects, he already lauded in the past, irredeemable and perpetual dumb peasant who's allergic to sophistication.

Pray tell me what an ordinary surface train station has got to do with a Sandton metro station on the Gautrain rapid transit system, that has an underground station - and also services an International Airport, in the heart of South Africa's business district? If you're not stupid - why would you even compare the two and why would you need a train station as elaborate as the one in Sandton, for just normal trains?

Most, if not all the intra-city train stations for surface trains in the UK, don't even look better than this one. Heck, even some of the inter-city train stations in the UK aren't better than this one. I can speak for Coventry, Stafford, Stoke, Milton Keynes, Watford, Oxford etc..

This is what the Sandton train station caters for:

Sandton station the centre of one of the first transit-oriented development projects in South Africa. Because of the area's financial importance, with the Johannesburg Stock Exchange being a major focal point, and location near a number of important roads, such development would also require an upgrade of the arterial road network in the surrounding area

Architecturally, Sandton is unique amongst Gautrain stations. Although it is not the only underground station, it is the only one with a two-level platform arrangement. The upper level serves trains on the north-south axis of the system, with trains heading southbound to Park Station in central Johannesburg and northbound to Pretoria, while the lower level has only one platform and acts as the terminus for OR Tambo International Airport-bound trains

Sandton station is the operational hub of the Gautrain system. Along with Marlboro, it is one of only two stations in the entire network to be served by all trains on the Airport and North-South lines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandton_%28Gautrain_station%29

^^^^So why are you so mischievous and hateful, by trying to find fault where there is non? I've been to a few countries in Europe and I'd say most of the train stations in French Belgium don't even look as good as this one.

This is the Fenchurch street railway station that I use every morning to work - before connecting the underground. The train station is in the City of London and it doesn't even look as good as this one.

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 26, 2013
I'll get the picture for the stairs and the interior now. I tried adding the file but it seems nl isn't accepting it.

Will upload it online and post it here now.
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 26, 2013
Stairs at Fenchurch street railway station (there are no elevators nor escalators there):

1 Like

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Nobody: 9:46am On Nov 26, 2013
If you want to critique anything, do it objectively without bias or unnecessary politicking.

No one has time for that bs! undecided

1 Like

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 26, 2013
I'll post a few trains stations for surface trains in the UK.

Rainham train station

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 26, 2013
Err...let me just stop there for now, till another mischievous bigot strays to the thread.
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Nobody: 9:59am On Nov 26, 2013
All I see here is good progress. I envy lagos, I hope my city catches up soon.
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by edoyad(m): 10:02am On Nov 26, 2013
Wow ! So this light rail is really going to take off soon ? Kudos to eko
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by edoyad(m): 10:02am On Nov 26, 2013
Wow ! So this light rail is really going to take off soon ? Kudos to eko smiley
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by dridowu: 10:09am On Nov 26, 2013
iterator25: smh
ur only faults in ds project is the escalator so i guess with dat , d project still deserve pass mark
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by iterator25: 10:13am On Nov 26, 2013
dridowu: ur only faults in ds project is the escalator so i guess with dat , d project still deserve pass mark
dridowu, smbh
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 26, 2013
jmaine:

I concur bruv. . . .grin

You are refreshingly different from the known PDP bigots...at least you are urbane and suave enough to acknowledge progress from the opposing side.
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by 740megawatts: 10:42am On Nov 26, 2013
shymexx: I'll post a few trains stations for surface trains in the UK.

Rainham train station

Shymexx, It is very glaring that some people on this thread seem not know the difference between a railway stop and a terminal station. The structure photographed by the OP is a railway stop and not a station. The terminal station under construction is shown below and might be one of the best in the country when completed!

2 Likes

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Olaolufred(m): 10:55am On Nov 26, 2013
SAMBALLAT AND TOBIAS

iterator25: Seems the government like delivering sub par infrastructure to Nigerians.
Just look at the poor quality embarassed

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Olaolufred(m): 11:01am On Nov 26, 2013
YOU TRULY DESERVED THIS GAUTRAIN WHATEVER IN YOUR STATE.
IN LAGOS OR SOUTHWEST, WE ARE SATISFIED WITH THIS MOVE WHILE WE DEMAND FUTURE UPGRADE.
THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN.

[/img]

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 26, 2013
740megawatts:

Shymexx, It is very glaring that some people on this thread seem not know the difference between a railway stop and a terminal station. The structure photographed by the OP is a railway stop and not a station. The terminal station under construction is shown below and might be one of the best in the country when completed!

Wow!!! shocked shocked

That looks impressive!!!!

I believe they know, they're just being mischievous for the sake of it. I was going to ignore the ignorance of the ignorant - till that incoherent duffer (who I despise, by the way) decided to bring his usual pretentious crap to the thread.
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Olaolufred(m): 11:04am On Nov 26, 2013
YOU TRULY DESERVED THIS GAUTRAIN WHATEVER IN YOUR STATE.
IN LAGOS OR SOUTHWEST, WE ARE SATISFIED WITH THIS MOVE WHILE WE DEMAND FUTURE UPGRADE.
THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN.

[/img]

1 Like

Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by iterator25: 11:13am On Nov 26, 2013
Olaolufred: SAMBALLAT AND TOBIAS

what's this one saying sad
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by edoyad(m): 11:15am On Nov 26, 2013
@740 megawatts, where is that edifice located, I was in lag and didn't even spot it. Later on they will come and call Fashola a propagandist, see things he is developing in silence
Re: Updates: Lagos Light Rail (pics) by Ayekotoo(m): 11:16am On Nov 26, 2013

[/img]

very well written! but never compare the standard to that of the shame called remodel airports by stella oduah.hank you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sahara Live Results Part Two / Picture Of The Highly Revered General Of The Ametokun Sets Internet On Fire / 22,556 Ghost LG Workers Found In Borno Verification Ordered By Zulum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.