Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? (114076 Views)

Buying Naija Used Cars...how To Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle!!! / Challenges Of Buying A Used Vehicle / Used Cars Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (110) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Export1: 4:08pm On Nov 27, 2013
Hi, forum!

When it comes to such an important matter as buying a car, would you prefer a used car over a brand new one?
The first and main advantage, as for me, is the price of course. Because by all means a used car is going to be less expensive. Cars lose value with each passing month and mile, but the steepest decline happens right away; some models can lose 40 percent or more of their value in the first year.
And for sure the choise range. Сan happen, that you want a model, option package, or even wheel design that’s no longer made. Of course, it can take more time to find a car exactly in accordance with your specifications, but perfection and satisfaction rarely come easily, right?

Your thoughts regarding this matter are most appreciated. Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by muhtars61(m): 9:01pm On Nov 27, 2013
Ofcourse price is important in buying a car, of equal importance also is the quality of the vehicle one would buy. Invariably, very cheap cars often have problems and lingering faults. for better performing autos ones budget needs to be considerable.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Vivipedia: 2:39pm On Nov 28, 2013
Nomatter the advantages, new car will always be the best. Visit: www.vivipedia.com
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by gsnazzy1(m): 2:39pm On Nov 28, 2013
witch craft free..! Wait oh 1st to comment.. Tanx op
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Bowwow11(m): 2:41pm On Nov 28, 2013
It all depend on indivdual pockent and desire sum pipul av d money bt dey chooses nt to flaunt it on brand new cars while sum go 4 tokunbo car to hide their financial status bt such is fullishness sha.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]. Think a brand new car is better than fairly used!
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by omonla555: 2:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
No advantage to me.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
undecidedna money cause am.if you get money u no go dey decieve yourself by saying used car is better than brand new.no be person like you use the car before you buy am as used undecided

16 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by alotofgrace(m): 2:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
u can even start building it from scratch.....

Mark Zuckerberg Was Highest Paid U.S. CEO of 2012
http://abume4life..com/2013/10/mark-zuckerberg-was-highest-paid-us-ceo.html
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by zutu(m): 2:58pm On Nov 28, 2013
Ok
New car if u can afford the money is the best.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by frodobee: 2:58pm On Nov 28, 2013
See Jamb see waec. Sweet sixteen and Old layer which one sweet pass?
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Christane: 2:58pm On Nov 28, 2013
It av one major advantage dat z becus z cheaper ...
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by pappilo(m): 2:59pm On Nov 28, 2013
Only advantage is price. If money is no object, I'd buy new everyday.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by sonofanarchy(m): 3:00pm On Nov 28, 2013
Just passing

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Eyop: 3:18pm On Nov 28, 2013
My own opinion:

(1) Buying a Used Benz in a great condition is better than a brand new Hyundai,kia or any other china brand car.

(2) A used Honda car or SUV to me is better than a brand new innoson assembled car or SUV

(3) A used car will save you cost than buying a brand new car.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Beaf1: 3:24pm On Nov 28, 2013
A car built in 1995 and the one built in 2010 will not be the same in terms of ruggedness. The old cars were build with heavy and more durable components.

New cars designed nowadays are simpler/smoother and more digital in nature and of course 'they are new' cheesy that's the only advantage IMHO.

Example:
I have a 2008 Toyota siena and a 406 peugeot (lion) built in 1998. When I drive this two cars the difference is clear. The toyota, despite its size is soo light and at high speed I struggle with the wind. No balance, unlike the peugeot.

15 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by rossi49ja(m): 3:25pm On Nov 28, 2013
The only advantage I can think of is the price, save that I'll go for a new car over a used one.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Beaf1: 3:26pm On Nov 28, 2013
Eyop: My own opinion:

(1) Buying a Used Benz in a great condition is better than a brand new Hyundai,kia or any other china brand car.

(2) A used Honda car or SUV to me is better than a brand new innoson assembled car or SUV

(3) A used car will save you cost than buying a brand new car.

^
Thanks

It depends on what types of new cars and used cars we are talking about. We have cars and we have motors cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Eyop: 3:33pm On Nov 28, 2013
Beaf!:

^
Thanks

It depends on what types of new cars and used cars we are talking about. We have cars and we have motors cheesy

E.g The new Kia Optima should cost about #3.5million or more depending on the trim and a used 2009 or 2010 Honda Accord pre-ordered from the United states certified as good as new will cost same amount or less depending on certain factors. To me it will make more sense to buy the Used Honda because it will serve me more than the Kia. I am using the ASIA vs ASIA brand to compare but if am to compare it with the German(2008 Mercedes C300)then same price will get it and you cannot compare the durability of the benz with the Kia.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by ziccoit: 3:34pm On Nov 28, 2013
Beaf!:

^
Thanks

Yes we have cars and we have machines.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by AnodaIT(m): 3:38pm On Nov 28, 2013
The advantage is in the parts.
new cars may be difficult in sourcing for parts as not everyone could easily look on the web and order them from abroad.
Used cars parts are known by every repairer

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Spirit1(m): 3:46pm On Nov 28, 2013
There can be great value in buying a used vehicle. Like the OP stated, cars tend to loose their greatest value within the first year or two. Today's cars are built to last long. Think of people buying 2003 toyota camrys in 2013 and these cars still performing very well. Having said this, the benefit of buying a used car when compared to a brand new one is off set when one buys cars that are more than 3 years older than the brand new one (that is if you truly want to compare apples to apples directly). The truth is that once the difference in the year of manufacturing does not exceed 3 years, the model design remains the same and the car was used well (with a reasonable mileage ; say 10,000 miles/year) there is typically no reasonable difference in functionality or cosmetics, except for a huge price drop! Take for instance, I have a friend who paid N11 million for a brand new Acura MDX in 2010. Earlier this year I helped another friend buy the same year and model car for N4.8 million with only 23,000 miles and now the two tell me that when they drive together there is no difference in functionality or cosmetics when people compare both cars; except a whooping N6.2 million difference!! Of course you can argue that the other guy had the opportunity to enjoy the car for 2 years. With good timing, you can still enjoy the same luxury by transitioning from one model to the other,as car manufacturers change model design.

17 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Exponental(m): 4:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
Cost....... If I can afford a new car, why will I bother about used cars?
Bro.....d only advantage is dat with d little money one has, one can still be mobile.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by SpaceAngel: 4:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
Apart from relatively low initial cost of purchase which most of the time rises due to maintenance (constant visit to mechanics), I cannot think of any advantage.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by kingschild123(m): 6:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
The only advantage of buying a used car is just the price difference that's all I prefer brand new because its more durable a used car might have on the long run a high cost of repairs of worn out parts.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by chucky234(m): 6:57pm On Nov 28, 2013
Used car is a far better option when resale value is put into consideration,I am yet to see anyone who paid N1.5m for a registered 2004 EOD simply because it was bought brand new 3 years ago.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by earthgreeners(m): 10:03pm On Nov 28, 2013
Environmentally sound (reuse)
Economically friendly
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by amanikondo: 7:26am On Nov 29, 2013
Buying a used car get grade.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by waldigit: 9:17am On Nov 29, 2013
Spirit1: There can be great value in buying a used vehicle. Like the OP stated, cars tend to loose their greatest value within the first year or two. Today's cars are built to last long. Think of people buying 2003 toyota camrys in 2013 and these cars still performing very well. Having said this, the benefit of buying a used car when compared to a brand new one is off set when one buys cars that are more than 3 years older than the brand new one (that is if you truly want to compare apples to apples directly). The truth is that once the difference in the year of manufacturing does not exceed 3 years, the model design remains the same and the car was used well (with a reasonable mileage ; say 10,000 miles/year) there is typically no reasonable difference in functionality or cosmetics, except for a huge price drop! Take for instance, I have a friend who paid N11 million for a brand new Acura MDX in 2010. Earlier this year I helped another friend buy the same year and model car for N4.8 million with only 23,000 miles and now the two tell me that when they drive together there is no difference in functionality or cosmetics when people compare both cars; except a whooping N6.2 million difference!! Of course you can argue that the other guy had the opportunity to enjoy the car for 2 years. With good timing, you can still enjoy the same luxury by transitioning from one model to the other,as car manufacturers change model design.

Many pple especially nigerians will not agree with u becos they lack financial intelligence. Most of our financial problems stem from this factor rather than leadership problem we all echo. Some need to go and study robert kiyosaki,s books on financial intelligence. Imagine the way pple are crazy about new cars in a country that cannot manufacture ' keke marwa' I beg I commot make I no miss important trade jare its time to make money. Financial idiots, that why they will never stop stealing public fund even on the queue to hell fire

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by niyimat(m): 10:09am On Nov 29, 2013
Been reading through comments on this trend, am like how many %of Nigerians can afford a new car? Realistically, new car is the best, but for you to afford it, you must be related to a politician and be spending part of our common wealth or fortunate to be working for one of the big paying jobs which are very very few. Prices of new cars keep going higher because of the extra research manufacturer put into new car designs.

Cars should be a necessity by needs not the new status, I don arrive and luxury syndrome that we attach to it in this country.

Besides we lack the maintenance culture, we over look a lot of things and that is what the oyinbos got more than we do and that is why our cars doesn't last long.

Buy a fairly used car maintain it and save some money for tomorrow.

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Export1: 3:58pm On Nov 29, 2013
I can see that a lot of people here agree, that it can be more profitable to buy a used car, rather than new one. Thank you all for your thoughts.
Now please tell me whether you've checked this website auctionexport.com. Maybe even some of you can share an experiance of purchasing a vehicle from that website?
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Buying Used Cars? by Export1: 3:10pm On Dec 02, 2013
muhtars61: Ofcourse price is important in buying a car, of equal importance also is the quality of the vehicle one would buy. Invariably, very cheap cars often have problems and lingering faults. for better performing autos ones budget needs to be considerable.

Sure, if you're not married to the idea of buying a new car, used vehicles have their own appeal. There are many good reasons to buy a used car, including ample selection and the improving reliability of older cars, but the big draw for used-car buyers is affordability.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (110) (Reply)

2014 Model Benz E350 Toks Full Option Super White / Innoson Vehicles Manufacturing Company Nnewi Pictures Yet To See / American Cars For Sale, Import Car To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.