Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! (45694 Views)

Why Are There Many Pregnant Brides Nowadays? / A Thread For 2016 Brides and Grooms To Be / Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by ladygogo: 9:14pm On Dec 09, 2013
bellong:

When it comes to Textile, I give it to the Turkish than the Americans. I would rather buy clothing materials made in Turkey than buy from the USA.

Thanks! GBAM! you just echoed my thoughts. The two cant even be compared.
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by ladygogo: 9:17pm On Dec 09, 2013
salt 1: Havila bridals at Ikeja and Benkol bridals are good but somewhat pricy shops. Benkol has tiaras too.
But if you don't mind the stress, go to Azikiwe street, Marina. There are many wedding shops. You will buy the wedding gown at half the price, but it may be Turkey not American.
Please don't blame the shops that insist you pay before trying. Wedding gowns are delicate. If sweaty people keep trying and taking off, the dress will look old and no bride-to-be would like to buy it
I wish you a happy married life

isnt that why they are supposed to have samples for display for a gown as delicate as a wedding gown? undecided.
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by ladygogo: 9:19pm On Dec 09, 2013
Phema:

I went to Havila. Their prices were off the hook. Will check out those shops at Azikiwe street. I really don't care if the dress is Turkey or China sef, so far it fits! grin. Thanks for the info.

abegi carry go phema! if its made in Turkey pls buy oh. you are assured its original. By the way, Is everything not made in china these days.
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Nobody: 9:23pm On Dec 09, 2013
lady gogo:

abegi carry go phema! if its made in Turkey pls buy oh. you are assured its original. By the way, Is everything not made in china these days.

Your head dey there! All na China! cheesy
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by pwettyJasmine(f): 9:25pm On Dec 09, 2013
olor=#000099][/color] Planning a wedding can be exhausting physically&financially. For the Yorubas in the house we help ease part of dat stress. We make Aso-Oke for intending couples ranging from d Agbada to d iro to d gele and ipele to d Handcut tops &handcut wrappers of diff designs, sequined Aso Oke designs, Embroidered Aso-Oke designs. All according to specification wt hand fan&veil with hubby's beads. Simply put all ur Aso Oke needs packaged and delivered. You can contact us by sending us a mail. Our email addy is oge.asooke@yahoo.com. A trial will convince u
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 09, 2013
Please house, any idea for wedding souvenirs? What affordable and unique item/s can one get and where?
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by ladygogo: 9:28pm On Dec 09, 2013
whitecat007: Do wedding planners take 20percent of the total budget in Nigeria too?

i dont think so. They usually charge a fee.

i dont think anyone should hire a wedding planner. i personally think its a waste of money. you can plan your own wedding. As long as you have access to the internet, you are good to go. A wedding coordinator would be better.

Sugar weddings
bellanaija weddings
business directory
wedding digest naija
wedexpo

You will have access to various vendors on the aforementioned websites. Make some calls and start comparing prices.
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by ladygogo: 9:32pm On Dec 09, 2013
Phema: Please house, any idea for wedding souvenirs? What affordable and unique item/s can one get and where?

Google Elise charles.
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by ucube: 9:39pm On Dec 09, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Congrats phema!

I will like to add that the best realistic advice u will get is from married folks cos they ve been there. Seen good planning gone wrong and viceversa.

I will give my two cents anyway.
Its better u shop for ur gowns and accessories in bridal shops than online. There r u seeing and tasting d package b4 buying. Its cheaper too.
Don't pay per plate. U will be shocked the kind of half a plate they will put and still charge u per plate. Instead bargain to buy things and they will cook BUT make sure u provide a supervisor else more than half of ur foodstuffs will disappear into thin air.

Assuming its ur family house and u hv enuf space, I will suggest u do it at ur house. It saves cost too.
One thing we fail to understand (especially ladies)is that after the wedding, life starts. Most marriages start their first quarrel immediately after d wedding bc of some outrageous xpenses that will soon be regretd.
Pls be wise in ur planning.

All d best
(My gele is intact, benin here I come!)
. Kom! That's all!
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by funkybaby(f): 10:06pm On Dec 09, 2013
Phema:

Babe, i tire oooo. And to make it worse, they have just one size (usually a size 12) in each design and ivory color for one to try on. You only get your exact size and color when you're ready to buy. cheesy

I'm willing to place a bet that all they do is place an order online once you pay them. That is what most bridal shops in Nigeria do. Especially those with "sample" dresses in store that you have to try on.

Get your dress online. All you need is to decide on the fit you want - "mermaid", "cinderalla", etc, get a tailor or a friend to take your measurement and then place your order.

You can check out this site. My cousin got her wedding gown from them. http://www.jjshouse.com

She spoke highly of the quality and the fit.

1k to try on a wedding dress Seriously!!! WTF!
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Empress2013: 10:24pm On Dec 09, 2013
Hmmm, my wedding is just 3 weeks away. And everything is set already. Our traditional wears are ready, wedding gown and suites are intact,and also our aso ebis have been sold out. May god keep us beyond that day.

5 Likes

Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by ladygogo: 10:26pm On Dec 09, 2013
funkybaby:

I'm willing to place a bet that all they do is place an order online once you pay them. That is what most bridal shops in Nigeria do. Especially those with "sample" dresses in store that you have to try on.

Get your dress online. All you need is to decide on the fit you want - "mermaid", "cinderalla", etc, get a tailor or a friend to take your measurement and then place your order.

You can check out this site. My cousin got her wedding gown from them. http://www.jjshouse.com

She spoke highly of the quality and the fit.

1k to try on a wedding dress Seriously!!! WTF!

RIGHT! the annoying thing with most wedding gowns even if you shop in store is the extra fitting costs you still have to pay for. My sis had to pay a hundred or so dollars to another seamstress for that. So its pretty much all the same at the end of the day.

@phema. i think you should give the online shopping a shot.
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by funkybaby(f): 10:31pm On Dec 09, 2013
lady gogo:

RIGHT! the annoying thing with most wedding gowns even if you shop in store is the extra fitting costs you still have to pay for. My sis had to pay a hundred or so dollars to another seamstress for that. So its pretty much all the same at the end of the day.

@phema. i think you should give the online shopping a shot.

Very well said.

A dear friend of mine....even though she was based in England and had loads of bridal shops to visit, she ordered her dress online from a bridal store based in the US. She claimed it was cheaper.

She came over to mine and I did all the measurements as instructed by the store. The dress fitted her perfectly on her wedding day. She didn't have to do any adjustments, tucking in, etc.
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by cynbanora(f): 10:33pm On Dec 09, 2013
Very good thread here, my wedding will be in 4months in Asaba and I still haven't gotten a venue because of the outrageous charges I'm getting. Please fellow nairalanders in Asaba I need a venue for reception and a DJ as well and my planning will be complete.
Congrats Phema,may the Lord bless your new home.
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by pwettyolly(f): 10:37pm On Dec 09, 2013
wishing you congratulations in advance but i just want 2 add somethings as regard the catering aspect it better you get a caterer that will cook bring ushers plate and spoons all at an affordable price i can introduce you to someone here in lagos she stays at ikorodu and works anywere in the country her name is mrs olutimehin you can just call here to compare prices am not saying compulsorily just a suggestion she did my cousins catering at edo state and didnt charge up to a 80 k including everything she brought the only thing we supplied was foodstuffs and location but just let me know if you r interested so i can call my cousin and get the info
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by afroxyz: 11:33pm On Dec 09, 2013
If you need cutomized ankara or aso-oke (like shoes, bags, necklaces, journals and handfans) for aso-ebi, you can call 08157605889 or add us up on BB:2B39F095
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Chinwem(f): 11:41pm On Dec 09, 2013
funkybaby:

Very well said.

A dear friend of mine....even though she was based in England and had loads of bridal shops to visit, she ordered her dress online from a bridal store based in the US. She claimed it was cheaper.

She came over to mine and I did all the measurements as instructed by the store. The dress fitted her perfectly on her wedding day. She didn't have to do any adjustments, tucking in, etc.

You mean the dress was sent from US to UK, arrived in one piece and fit perfectly.....all for a fraction of the cost?
If so.....awesome!!
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 09, 2013
Empress2013: Hmmm, my wedding is just 3 weeks away. And everything is set already. Our traditional wears are ready, wedding gown and suites are intact,and also our aso ebis have been sold out. May god keep us beyond that day.

Congrats dear. I wish mine will be next week so I just get it over and done with. tongue
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 09, 2013
Funkylady and ladygogo, I'm seriously considering the online thingy. I'm tired of these wedding stores ripping people off.

One of the ladies agreed to order a dress for me at more than double the original price I saw online! Of course, she didn't know I had seen it online. I nearly called her a thief to her face. Like WTF! grin
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Nobody: 11:56pm On Dec 09, 2013
cynbanora: Very good thread here, my wedding will be in 4months in Asaba and I still haven't gotten a venue because of the outrageous charges I'm getting. Please fellow nairalanders in Asaba I need a venue for reception and a DJ as well and my planning will be complete.

Amen sis. God bless yours too. Praying for smooth weddings and even smoother marriages for all intending couples.

By the way, why is Asaba becoming too expensive these days? Anyways, if the quotes you are getting are too high, you might consider having an outdoor reception on any if the Schools' open field. The only downside is rain. undecided
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by daclint(m): 2:40am On Dec 10, 2013
Empress2013: Hmmm, my wedding is just 3 weeks away. And everything is set already. Our traditional wears are ready, wedding gown and suites are intact,and also our aso ebis have been sold out. May god keep us beyond that day.

if u need a photographer, am ur guy. You can checkout some of my work here www.facebook.com/chronikphotography or chronikphotography..com. Email chronikphotography@gmail.com
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by daclint(m): 2:53am On Dec 10, 2013
cynbanora: Very good thread here, my wedding will be in 4months in Asaba and I still haven't gotten a venue because of the outrageous charges I'm getting. Please fellow nairalanders in Asaba I need a venue for reception and a DJ as well and my planning will be complete.

if u need a photographer, am ur guy. You can checkout some of my work here www.facebook.com/chronikphotography or chronikphotography..com. Email chronikphotography@gmail.com
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by charismatic1(f): 3:46am On Dec 10, 2013
Congratulations Phema and brides to be who're expectant not excluding I.

I've learnt so much on this topic and i'm sure is going to be useful for us someday for those of us especially in diaspora.

For the gifts you talked about not wanting but instead money,here is a tip i can share,hopefully it might be useful for you.
It was included in the invitation card(Registry) of my friend who'l be getting married in few weeks, so i decided to share the way it's bn worded: 'YOUR PRESENCE IS WHAT WE DESIRE THE MOST,HOWEVER,IF YOU WISH TO EXTEND YOUR KIND GESTURE BY HONORING US WITH A GIFT,WE HAVE REGISTERED WITH TWO DIFFERENT STORES FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE'......
I'm not sure if there are stores that you can register at in Benin or so,but you can rephrase the end part of the sentence with : AN ENVELOPED GIFT WIL BE MORE APPRECIATED.....or so.

All the best and God's blessings. grin
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by phillip4re: 5:20am On Dec 10, 2013
for your best video coverage and photograph...contact lumex media 08035750010.....happy preparations
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Ariyke: 6:17am On Dec 10, 2013
charismatic1: Congratulations Phema and brides to be who're expectant not excluding I.

I've learnt so much on this topic and i'm sure is going to be useful for us someday for those of us especially in diaspora.

For the gifts you talked about not wanting but instead money,here is a tip i can share,hopefully it might be useful for you.
It was included in the invitation card(Registry) of my friend who'l be getting married in few weeks, so i decided to share the way it's bn worded: 'YOUR PRESENCE IS WHAT WE DESIRE THE MOST,HOWEVER,IF YOU WISH TO EXTEND YOUR KIND GESTURE BY HONORING US WITH A GIFT,WE HAVE REGISTERED WITH TWO DIFFERENT STORES FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE'......
I'm not sure if there are stores that you can register at in Benin or so,but you can rephrase the end part of the sentence with : AN ENVELOPED GIFT WIL BE MORE APPRECIATED.....or so.

All the best and God's blessings. grin
nice one cheesy
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by promire2004(f): 6:29am On Dec 10, 2013
Phema, congrats dear on your forth-coming wedding. Just take it easy, okay? The lines will fall unto you in pleasant places in Jesus Name, Amen. I accompanied a friend and client of mine for bridal shopping. We travelled to lag, went to Tom Jones, Marina to get wedding gowns. We were very surprised to find out that the wedding gowns were half the amount of what we saw in Benin. You will even get a wide range of wedding gowns to choose from. A proper bridal shopping may take you up to 3 days to do. For the record, I was the make-up artiste for the bride. The wedding was properly organized and it was so much fun. I have a cousin who is an event planner. We are both based in Benin. Reply if you are interested. Thanks and God bless.
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by cynbanora(f): 7:16am On Dec 10, 2013
My sister the thing tire me sef, I can do outdoors because the rains would have started by then. I'm so tired of searching #sobeat#

Phema:

Amen sis. God bless yours too. Praying for smooth weddings and even smoother marriages for all intending couples.

By the way, why is Asaba becoming too expensive these days? Anyways, if the quotes you are getting are too high, you might consider having an outdoor reception on any if the Schools' open field. The only downside is rain. undecided
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by cynbanora(f): 7:26am On Dec 10, 2013
I just went through your page on fbk, your works are good but I have a photographer already. I will show my friends and I hope one of them get to call you. Keep it up!

daclint:

Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by doeying(m): 7:37am On Dec 10, 2013
Phema: Every one, please I need your take on this. . .

I really don't like this idea of guests buying gifts for the couple cos to be candid, most of these gifts are usually what the couple already have or what they might not need in decades! Ranges from cutlery to general cooking utensils, to basic household utilities. These items end up causing more harm than good With the newly wedded couple looking for space to store them. Heck! My mum's own is still locked up somewhere and she hasn't used one tenth of it.

Now, we were just thinking. . . Is there a way one can add a "cash only" caption in the IV? Something like; "You do not have to come with gifts, but if you must, please make it cash only" grin

Will that be too blunt, rude or desperate? cheesy
. ..

My parents got an IV for a wedding dat said...."please all gifts should b made in form of cash...." or sumfn like dat....buh i was told its because d couples live abroad....my 2 cents
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by nyabingi(m): 7:39am On Dec 10, 2013
eagle,eye:

Phema,
How do you know exactly the number of guests that were served?
She could serve 140 guests and 'aproximate' the number to 200 guests.
So I think, if you don't mind the stress, you rent plates and cutleries and buy your own food stuffs, then she gives you a lump sum for her services.

what if you get friends and relations to cook while u serve with takeaway packs and serve high table with glass plates etc?
Re: Would Be Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by ggirl4real: 8:01am On Dec 10, 2013
I love what's going on here...watching and following closely. I wish all would-be couples a happy married life. Don't forget to 'cut you coat according to your cloth' ooo coz there's life after d wedding

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Is My Elder Brother Possessed Or An Occultic Man? / My Breakfast This Morning (picture) / What Character Traits Do Your Parents Have That Annoy You So Much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.