Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,583 members, 7,837,199 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

409 Nigerians Serving In South African Prison – Investigation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 409 Nigerians Serving In South African Prison – Investigation (616 Views)

Abuja Blast Scene During Investigation (Photos) / The Three Tiers Of Government, Yesterday, Shared A Total Sum Of N 409.354 Billio / 409 Nigerians In South Africa’s Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

409 Nigerians Serving In South African Prison – Investigation by vivaciousvivi(f): 8:08am On Nov 29, 2013
The Chairman House Committee on Diaspora, Hon Abike Dabiri Erewa, has said that about 409 Nigerians are currently serving different jail term in South African prison

Dabiri Erewa disclosed that the situation was observed after the committee’s visit to two prisons in south africa where Nigerians are being held for various offences. She was accompanied on the visit by Hon Ajibola Famurewa and Hon Umaru Shidanfi both members of the committee, consular officers of the Nigerian Embassy, and executives of the Nigerian Union in south africa.

She explained that the committee held interaction with some inmates and were told that some of them have completed their prison terms, yet were still being kept in Jail.
She said the inmates complained of extreme discrimination by the prison authorities in South Africa saying that as Nigerians, they get very bad deal.

The chairman said the inmates alleged that the authorities tore into pieces their Nigerian passports among several other allegations and refused to grant them bail, while others from other countries that committed similar bailable offence were granted bail.
Dabiri Erewa however advised the inmates to stay away from crime as obviously it does not augur well, no matter what.
While on a visit to the Nigerian High commissioner to South Africa, Ambassador Sonni Samuel Yusuf, the committee commended the embassy for their various interventions and intimated them of the various allegations not only by Nigerians in prison but Nigerians generally in South Africa of discrimination in several areas.

The Nigerian Ambassador assured the committee, that the embassy will continue to make the welfare of Nigerians in South Africa their priorities.
According to him, “nobody has the right to seize anyone’s passport not to talk of tearing them into pieces”. He said issues like that are not peculiar to Nigerians alone but blacks generally in South Africa and African ambassadors in South Africa are deliberating on this issue.
He said the embassy will not relent in its efforts to protect the right and dignity of Nigerians.
He also commended the large numbers of Nigerians excelling in South Africa in their various areas of endeavours, adding that the Embassy would continue to ensure that “one bad apple does not spoil the whole bunch”.
Re: 409 Nigerians Serving In South African Prison – Investigation by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 29, 2013
Source?

#TeamGOM
Re: 409 Nigerians Serving In South African Prison – Investigation by vivaciousvivi(f): 8:44am On Nov 29, 2013
god_of_music: Source?

#TeamGOM

Eh hen, so becuase I forgot to add the source, I am now a bearer of false news abi? undecided
Re: 409 Nigerians Serving In South African Prison – Investigation by Nobody: 8:50am On Nov 29, 2013
vivacious vivi:

Eh hen, so becuase I forgot to add the source, I am now a bearer of false news abi? undecided
LOL, this could be Frontpage worthy if you got a notable and reliable source, That's why i'm concerned. kiss

#TeamGOM
Re: 409 Nigerians Serving In South African Prison – Investigation by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:01am On Nov 29, 2013
god_of_music: LOL, this could be Frontpage worthy if you got a notable and reliable source, That's why i'm concerned. kiss

#TeamGOM

Grrrrrrrrr!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

DEC 4: ASUU Directs Members Against Resuming Lectures.. / Collective, Concerted And Cultivated End To Tribalism And Ethnic Bigotry / ‘Don’t Turn Corruption War Into Tribal Battle’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.