Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,081 members, 7,957,038 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:32 AM

Majority Of Abians Are Happy With What Orji Is Doing--eze Nnamdi Ofoegbu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Majority Of Abians Are Happy With What Orji Is Doing--eze Nnamdi Ofoegbu (792 Views)

Abians Are Taking The Protest To The Streets....good Move / A National Award To T.A Orji Is An Award For Inefficiency / Orji Is To Abia What Mandela Is To South Africa - Abia Commissioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Majority Of Abians Are Happy With What Orji Is Doing--eze Nnamdi Ofoegbu by patrikobi: 5:46pm On Nov 30, 2013
‘Majority Of Abians Are Happy With What Orji Is Doing’ Eze Nnamdi Ofoegbu, the Diawa of Umudiawa Ancient Kingdom in Umuahia North Council of Abia State, who is also the National Chairman of Christian Traditional Rulers Association of Niger Delta, recently spoke to journalists on Abia politics and development, saying Governor Theodore Orji is doing well, contrary to allegations of non-performance in some quarters. GODWIN IJEDIOGOR was there and reports. WE know that modern-day traditional rulers must not be permanently domiciled in their domains, but some people might still see you as one of those monarchs in the Diaspora. How do you rule your kingdom from Lagos or elsewhere? I am based at home; my palace is at home, in my domain, I only visit Lagos, Abuja and London and other liaising offices from time to time to meet and interact with my people and know how there are faring. So, I am not in the Diaspora; I am in my domain and rule from my domain, not from outside. How often do you visit or are at home? I just came to Lagos a few days ago. I live in my palace and visit Lagos and others places to see my subjects and know how there are doing. Without bias, how would you rate the performance of your kinsman, Governor Theodore Orji? I believe he is doing very well and utilising his divine mandate, in terms of infrastructural development, youth empowerment, among others, considering that the way he was elected into office in the first place and got re-elected despite the obstacle in his way. In 2005, God told me, and I told him, that he was going to be governor of the state at a time that seemed impossible, but also told him the hurdles ahead. Also in 2009, God told me to gather traditional rulers in the state and tell him that he was going to be re-elected and under a different party platform, and it came to pass. Now, God has told me who his successor is going to be and I have told him so. He is giving the youths a sense of belonging by provide them the resources to start off in life and consolidate on what they are doing, while also creating jobs and providing conductive environment for youth entrepreneurs to spring forth. The governor is equally giving financial assistance to the adults to take advantage of their comparative advantages in palm oil, cocoa, cassava production by establishing mills and processing plants in those areas to boost their individual and the state’s economy. He is also empowering the traditional rulers and giving them a sense of belonging in the governance of the state. How come then some people in the state are saying he is not performing? Everybody cannot be happy with what he is doing. Not everybody was happy with Jesus Christ while he was performing miracles on earth. So, it is normal for some people to say he is not performing, because no man on earth can satisfy human beings. The opposition might even make you to know the areas you have not covered and do more. I know for sure that majority of Abians are happy with the governor and what he is doing in the state. Because of this, our people have given him our mandate to represent us, Abia Central, in 2015 in the senate. Must it be him? Can’t it be somebody else, given that he must have been governor for eight years by then and being in government for over 12 years? Is he and is that decision the best for Abia Central? We know our sons and daughters. We traditional rulers know them and what they can do. We know those who have failed us and those who can fail us. We know those who are after their pockets and those who are for the interest of the public. That is why we are asking him to represent us in 2015, based on his performances. But some indigenes and residents of Aba, for instance, say the basic infrastructures and dilapidated and it as if there is no government in the state? I was born in Aba and I was there two weeks ago. Outsiders may not understand the practical issues regarding situation in Aba. Aba is over-crowded; it is a small land choked up with people, and whatever you sink into Aba may not be felt or noticed, because Aba was not properly planned or designed. Aba people themselves have not and are not giving the governor the chance to develop the place, because each time government wants to do something, some people would plan to thwart government’s efforts. Each time contractors mobilise to site, some people would hatch plans to frustrate them or kidnap one of the workers. The same thing when some investors want to establish something there. It is his detractors that are at work there, but the governor is not discouraged; he is still striving to do more, including in the area of roads construction. He has even done the market for them and given them a sense of belonging. Many Nigerians see traditional rulers as supportive of any government in power, hardly telling those in government the truth, but just what they want to hear. Does the governor listen to you and have you ever told him and can you face him and tell him the truth? We are not praise-singers; we only commend those that do well and urge them to do more, while thumping down those that are not doing well. For example, we had been clamouring for the relocation of the major market in Umuahia from the city centre to allow development to come to the town, because of the problems, including traffic bottlenecks, its location there had created. No government in the state listened to us until Orji came to power and did it. In Abia State, we don’t have a hotel of international standard where foreigners and even our local businessmen can stay if they visit the state for any important event. We don’t even have an airport in the state. The same site remained in rubbles as at three weeks ago, with nothing tangle done about the debris, and some of the traders have relocated to the border community in Imo State, just across the river. So, how has the demolition of the market benefitted Abia State? It is only a few of the traders that are there; it is just a distraction by the opposition. The Abia State government has built a modern market at Ubani and the traders were expected to relocate there, which is not far from the former one, and buses were provided to make transportation easy for the traders and customers, thereby bring development to that area. The few of them that initially went to build or rent shops across the bridge have started returning to the new market, because they are facing reality, considering the topography of the area. It is on the main road and a trap. In no time, that place will be deserted. So, it was a temporary measure and as I speak, so many of them have gone to Ubani. What are the things you would want the governor to do to bring further development to the state, since you said he is already doing so well? He should continue to do the good works he has started and continue to consult the traditional rulers where and when necessary. Abians are happy with him. I have been opportuned to see the previous governments and know the difference, based on the resources available to them at the different times. We want him to give us a standard hotel and an airport. But the Owerri airport is not too far. Why have another in Abia State and do you think it will be viable? It will be viable because of the high number of people from Abia State travelling through the airports, especially the Owerri airport. How do you feel regarding the sour relationship between former, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu, and the present governor? Have you traditional ruler tried to reconcile them? We have interacted with them and were told it is just a political disagreement and nothing personal and we cannot duel deep into politics. I have spoken to both of them and I know, with the intervention of God, they will soon be reconciled. You are a businessman, a traditional ruler and a “man of God.” How do you combine all these and avoid a clash of interests? Ideally, traditional rulers are religious leaders, and you can find that working out well in the northern part of the country. Even in the Bible, the early kings were also religious leaders of their domains. So, there is no conflict among the three positions or interests. What is the National Chairman of Christian Traditional Rulers Association of Niger Delta all about? The essence of the association is forge a front to move the Niger Delta to a greater height, the region having being in crises and faced degradation by the oil companies and marginalisation by successive Nigerian governments, despite accounting for over 80 per cent the country’s foreign earnings because of its oil and gas endowments. We, the traditional rulers of the area, feel the pains of our people and think something should be done to ameliorate the suffering of our people. THE GUARDIAN

Re: Majority Of Abians Are Happy With What Orji Is Doing--eze Nnamdi Ofoegbu by oasis01(m): 7:00pm On Nov 30, 2013
HRH with due respect sir,my prayer to you is that your family will continue to experience the kind of development Abia state is experiencing presently.no insult intended please.

(1) (Reply)

Video Of Students Writing Exams On Bare Floor In Ekiti Public School / Corruption, Breach Of Protocol, State-sponsored Terrorism Of The Jonathan Regime / My Prayer For This Xmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.