Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:58 AM

"The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" (2682 Views)

How To Know That The Bible Has Expired / What The Bible Has To Say About Ebola Virus & Its Solution / What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:39am On Dec 02, 2013
"The Bible has many seeming contradictions within its pages."

For example, the four Gospels give four differing accounts as to what was written on the sign that hung on the cross.

"And above His head they put up the charge against Him which read, 'THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS'." —Matthew 27:37

"The inscription of the charge against Him read, 'THE KING OF THE JEWS'." —Mark 15:26

"Now there was also an inscription above Him, 'THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS'." —Luke 23:38

"Pilate also wrote an inscription and put it on the cross. It was written, 'JESUS THE NAZARENE, THE KING OF THE JEWS'." —John 19:19

Those who are looking for contradictions may therefore say, "See—the Bible is full of mistakes!" and choose to reject it entirely as being untrustworthy.

However, those who trust God have no problem harmonizing the Gospels. There is no contradiction if the sign simply said, "This is Jesus of Nazareth the King of the Jews." The godly base their confidence on two truths: 1) "all Scripture is given by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16); and 2) an elementary rule of Scripture is that God has deliberately included seeming contradictions in His Word to "snare" the proud. He has "hidden" things from the "wise and prudent" and "revealed them to babes" (Luke 10:21), purposely choosing foolish things to confound the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27).

If an ungodly man refuses to humble himself and obey the gospel, and instead desires to build a case against the Bible, God gives him enough material to build his own gallows. This incredible principle is clearly illustrated in the account of the capture of Zedekiah, king of Judah. Jeremiah the prophet told Zedekiah that God would judge him. He was informed that he would be "delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon" (Jeremiah 32:4). This is confirmed in Jeremiah 39:5-7 where we are told that he was captured and brought to King Nebuchadnezzar, then they "bound him with chains, to carry him to Babylon."

However, in Ezekiel 12:13, God Himself warned, "I will bring him to Babylon...yet he shall not see it, though he shall die there" (emphasis added). Here is material to build a case against the Bible! It is an obvious mistake. Three Bible verses say that the king would go to Babylon, and yet the Bible in another place says that he would not see Babylon. How can someone be taken somewhere and not see it? It makes no sense at all—unless Zedekiah was blinded. And that is precisely what happened. Zedekiah saw Nebuchadnezzar face to face, saw his sons killed before his eyes, then "the king of Babylon… put out Zedekiah's eyes" before taking him to Babylon (Jeremiah 39:6,7). This is the underlying principle behind the many "contradictions" of Holy Scripture (such as how many horses David had, who was the first to arrive at the tomb after the resurrection of Jesus, etc.).

God has turned the tables on proud, arrogant, self-righteous man. When he proudly stands outside of the kingdom of God, and seeks to justify his sinfulness through evidence he thinks discredits the Bible, he doesn't realize that God has simply lowered the door of life, so that only those who are prepared to exercise faith, and bow in humility may enter. It is interesting to note that the seeming contradictions in the four Gospels attest to the fact that there was no corroboration between the writers.
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by 1stola: 12:15pm On Dec 02, 2013
I JUST WASTED MY TIME.
RUBBISHED.

1 Like

Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:49pm On Dec 02, 2013
1st ola:

I JUST WASTED MY TIME.
RUBBISHED.

Blame it on the ASUU strike. cool

1 Like

Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by vickyO(f): 12:56pm On Dec 02, 2013
^^^^^ grin
Funny picture
The title of the thread dey one kain sha if you compare am with your post.

1 Like

Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by lirusehn(m): 1:44pm On Dec 02, 2013
blatant rubish
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by vickyO(f): 1:47pm On Dec 02, 2013
lirusehn: blatant rubish
What is with you?
angry
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by lirusehn(m): 1:53pm On Dec 02, 2013
vickyO:
What is with you?
angry
what's even ur P? :/
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:59pm On Dec 02, 2013
lirusehn:

blatant rubish

You mean blatant rubbish? shocked
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by vickyO(f): 2:01pm On Dec 02, 2013
lirusehn: what's even ur P? :/
My p? I'm irritated by people who carry air of negativity. You don't make meaningful contributions to threads we've both posted on. All you post is; Go get a life, rubbish, e.t.c. And it's not as if you've ever created a thread o.
So what's your p?
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by lirusehn(m): 3:22pm On Dec 02, 2013
vickyO:
My p? I'm irritated by people who carry air of negativity. You don't make meaningful contributions to threads we've both posted on. All you post is; Go get a life, rubbish, e.t.c. And it's not as if you've ever created a thread o.
So what's your p?
u sound pained and frustrated. Wot's up? All dez cuz of NL? Dont u knw i wud rada create no thread dan to senselesly create one?
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:28pm On Dec 02, 2013
lirusehn:

u sound pained and frustrated. Wot's up? All dez cuz of NL? Dont u knw i wud rada create no thread dan to senselesly create one?

An idle mind is the devil's workshop. Make good use of your time.
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by lirusehn(m): 4:09pm On Dec 02, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

An idle mind is the devil's workshop. Make good use of your time.
u sure ur brain is workin fine? So if am to use up my precious tym itz gon' be by creating topics dat is of no use and benefit 2 humans and readers?. #GrowUp
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:18pm On Dec 02, 2013
lirusehn:

u sure ur brain is workin fine? So if am to use up my precious tym itz gon' be by creating topics dat is of no use and benefit 2 humans and readers?. #GrowUp

My brain is working fine, thank you very much. Put your's to work instead of busy bodying about. If you've not got any sensible contribution to make why don't you just move on? undecided
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by lirusehn(m): 4:22pm On Dec 02, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

My brain is working fine, that you very much. Put yours to work instead of busy bodying about. If you've not got any sensible contribution to make why don't you just move on? undecided
how wud i move on when i cant stand d nonsense u guyz are writing up dis dayz. Bros abeg dnt let us derail. Keep a watch out for a bera brain
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:49pm On Dec 02, 2013
lirusehn:

how wud i move on when i cant stand d nonsense u guyz are writing up dis dayz. Bros abeg dnt let us derail. Keep a watch out for a bera brain

You would have to come up with something creative, imaginative and better if you can't stand what you see otherwise make use of what is called the log off button.
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:41pm On Dec 02, 2013
Here's another seeming contradiction in the Bible.

"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of Him that spoke to me" (Acts 22:9).

Some skeptics may say that this is an contradiction in the Bible, because in Acts 9:7 Paul said that those were with him heard the voice.

However, John 12:29 gives us insight into what God's voice sounds like. People heard His voice but thought that it thundered. They obviously heard it but the words were not coherent to them.
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by vickyO(f): 6:38pm On Dec 02, 2013
lirusehn: u sound pained and frustrated. Wot's up? All dez cuz of NL? Dont u knw i wud rada create no thread dan to senselesly create one?
See pot calling kettle back.
lirusehn: u sound pained and frustrated. Wot's up? All dez cuz of NL? Dont u knw i wud rada create no thread dan to senselesly create one?
lirusehn: u sure ur brain is workin fine? So if am to use up my precious tym itz gon' be by creating topics dat is of no use and benefit 2 humans and readers?. #GrowUp
lirusehn: how wud i move on when i cant stand d nonsense u guyz are writing up dis dayz. Bros abeg dnt let us derail. Keep a watch out for a bera brain
pained [paynd]
adjective
expressing pain: expressing wounded feelings or a sense of being disappointed or offended by something that somebody has done
frus·trat·ed [frú stràytəd]
adjective
discouraged: feeling exasperated (angry), discouraged, or unsatisfied

Who possesses the above qualities more, judging from this thread? Go figure.
Just carry your kaya commot for this place.
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by lirusehn(m): 7:24pm On Dec 02, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Here's another seeming contradiction in the Bible.

"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of Him that spoke to me" (Acts 22:9).

Some skeptics may say that this is an contradiction in the Bible, because in Acts 9:7 Paul said that those were with him heard the voice.

However, John 12:29 gives us insight into what God's voice sounds like. People heard His voice but thought that it thundered. They obviously heard it but the words were not coherent to them.
shuda inturn say Jesus is not Lord? Or wot u upto?
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by mahdino: 7:46am On Dec 03, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Here's another seeming contradiction in the Bible.

Pls tell us who made David to count Isreal? In II samuel 24 and I chronicles 21. God or Satan and u know in any religion God and Satan are 2 different and opposite, pls also explain to us, what did the lord decree 3 years famine or 7 years famine? In II Samuel 24:13 and I Chronicles 21:11, you might also like to explain to us how old was Jehoiachin? 8 or 18 in II Chronicles 36 and II kings 24, pls also tell us how it came about that we know Jesus was created without father just like Adam was created without father and mother, but ur bible gave him different genealogy from Davivd to Joseph and no two names are identical, also in Genesi the bible said that the vegetation comes before sunlight, there so many scientific and logical error in the bible if u don't know christian scholars in Awake magazine have estemated that there are over 50, 000 errors in the bible, but pls clarify the above so u can check.

1 Like

Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by harbiola1(m): 9:00am On Dec 03, 2013
@OP, u'd better don't start this because it is surely beyond u and even every pastors on this forum.

1 Like

Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:51pm On Dec 03, 2013
lirusehn:

shuda inturn say Jesus is not Lord? Or wot u upto?

Jesus Christ is Lord! cheesy
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:53pm On Dec 03, 2013
mahdino:

Pls tell us who made David to count Isreal? In II samuel 24 and I chronicles 21. God or Satan and u know in any religion God and Satan are 2 different and opposite, pls also explain to us, what did the lord decree 3 years famine or 7 years famine? In II Samuel 24:13 and I Chronicles 21:11, you might also like to explain to us how old was Jehoiachin? 8 or 18 in II Chronicles 36 and II kings 24, pls also tell us how it came about that we know Jesus was created without father just like Adam was created without father and mother, but ur bible gave him different genealogy from Davivd to Joseph and no two names are identical, also in Genesi the bible said that the vegetation comes before sunlight, there so many scientific and logical error in the bible if u don't know christian scholars in Awake magazine have estemated that there are over 50, 000 errors in the bible, but pls clarify the above so u can check.

Before you send us on a rabbit trail can you first respond to the assertion in the OP and what you quoted and lets take it from there? cool
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by ckkris: 7:04pm On Dec 03, 2013
Makes me feel very privileged, as I understand many things that baffle in the Bible.
Thank You Jesus, my Lord and my God.
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by lirusehn(m): 9:14pm On Dec 03, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Jesus Christ is Lord! cheesy
omo boy, u can even say hez not. Stop garbling peepz belief abeg
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:16pm On Dec 04, 2013
ckkris:

Makes me feel very privileged, as I understand many things that baffle in the Bible.
Thank You Jesus, my Lord and my God.

You are blessed and highly favoured. This is what Jesus said to His disciples:

"And He turned Him to His disciples, and said privately, Blessed are the eyes which see the things that you see: For I tell you, that many prophets and kings have desired to see those things which you see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which you hear, and have not heard them" (Luke 10:23-24).
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
lirusehn:

omo boy, u can even say hez not. Stop garbling peepz belief abeg

You seem flummoxed, no?
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by mahdino: 10:17pm On Dec 04, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Before you send us on a rabbit trail can you first respond to the assertion in the OP and what you quoted and lets take it from there? cool
It is a straight forward english don't use any excuse to dodge. U said there seem to be contrdictions and I have given u some clear contradictions in the bible. U are suppose to rightly admit or explain to us ho its not a contradiction
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by lirusehn(m): 10:40pm On Dec 04, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

You seem flummoxed.
pottle calling kettle black. U lost in ur mind, kip a watchout 4 a bera brain son.
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:50am On Dec 05, 2013
mahdino:

It is a straight forward english don't use any excuse to dodge. U said there seem to be contrdictions and I have given u some clear contradictions in the bible. U are suppose to rightly admit or explain to us ho its not a contradiction

Let me help you out here. Seeming contradictions does not mean there are contradictions. If you think there are kindly prove it to us starting with the OP.
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:52am On Dec 05, 2013
lirusehn:

pottle calling kettle black. U lost in ur mind, kip a watchout 4 a bera brain son.

Another correction. That you seem flummoxed doesn't necessarily mean that you are except you admit it. cool
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:51pm On Dec 06, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Here's another seeming contradiction in the Bible.

Seeming or apparent contradictions?
Re: "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" by mahdino: 6:36am On Dec 07, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Let me help you out here. Seeming contradictions does not mean there are contradictions. If you think there are kindly prove it to us starting with the OP.

I have given u refrences of so many verses where one person say's that and the other say's this e.g.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why The Atheists Attack Christianity? Answer To The Transgender / 666 Is Money? / Video Of Imam Of Mecca Burst Out In Tears, As Grand Mosque Is Empty For Jumat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.