Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,247 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? (23485 Views)

How To Know That The Bible Has Expired / What The Bible Has To Say About Ebola Virus & Its Solution / "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Handsomeemmy(m): 9:50am On Oct 13, 2013
According to Apostle peter in his second letter as recorded in the book of 2 Peter 3:16

2 Peter 3:16
English Standard Version (ESV)
16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters.There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction,as they do the other Scriptures.

So the question is what part do you think has been twisted by individuals, pastors etc for their own gains?

2 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by PastorOluT(m): 9:55am On Oct 13, 2013
For me the prosperity gospel stands out. But I have this to say to all;

One thing and only one thing is needful, do not be deceived by the devil into getting too much attached to the things of the world. The devil is so subtle that he get you too busy even with good things and activities of religion, but not that which is needful. You major on the minor and minor on the major, and before you know it you have spent your life on the wrong things and it is too late.

But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou are careful and trouble about many things. But one thing is needful: And Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
Luke 10:40-42

Stay blessed and remain rapturable

19 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by JameyMaxwell(m): 9:57am On Oct 13, 2013
Give and it shall be given unto yhu
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by quivah(f): 10:11am On Oct 13, 2013
mal 3vs10

17 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Handsomeemmy(m): 10:26am On Oct 13, 2013
quivah: mal 3vs10

i was expecting this.
Pastor Olu T:

For me the prosperity gospel stands out

well said

2 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Alwaystrue(f): 11:29am On Oct 13, 2013
Handsomeemmy: According to Apostle peter in his second letter as recorded in the book of 2 Peter 3:16

2 Peter 3:16
English Standard Version (ESV)
16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters.There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction,as they do the other Scriptures.

So the question is what part do you think has been twisted by individuals, pastors etc for their own gains?
Just by simply reading in context will have shown you the answer:

2 Peter 3:14-17 ESV
14 Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace.
15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him,

16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.
17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of LAWLESS people and lose your own stability.

Peter was simply saying we should be careful of people who twist Paul's letters on grace to mean lawlessness to their own destruction.

6 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by italo: 11:31am On Oct 13, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

For me the prosperity gospel stands out

"Once saved, always saved" is also a lie too.

8 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Jayses(m): 11:42am On Oct 13, 2013
My pastor has not twisted any tin , just change ur place of worship.

1 Like

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Sermwell(m): 11:42am On Oct 13, 2013
I tink its "touch not my annointed... And also"judge not..." Dis verses of d bible have often provided a shield 2 dose thiefing pastors hu extort d living day light out of their members! SMH 4 some gullible church members

19 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by nairaman66(m): 11:45am On Oct 13, 2013
The message of Hell Fire.. Totally dumbfounded !!

9 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by emeka762001(m): 11:50am On Oct 13, 2013
Tthe paying of tithe

7 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Frosti(m): 11:50am On Oct 13, 2013
Beware of false prophets who shall rise up in my name. Esp all these prosperity pastors twisting gospels about tithing towards their own gain.

6 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 13, 2013
The gospel of bring 10 per cent of thy salaries.

7 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 13, 2013
Bible -Malachi 3:10 'Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this,” Says the LORD of hosts'
Pastors - 'Bring 10% of your weekly income'

8 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 13, 2013
2Corinthians 9 vs 6.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 13, 2013
That part of the bible that says 'women submit to your husband' has been always totally abused by men.

They delibrately leave out that part that says 'husbands love your wives as jesus loves his church'
Meaning you should love your wife to point of sacrificing urself is need be for her.and in return,she'll submit to you.

Now who wouldn't submit to someone who's primary care and concern is for her well being?

49 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by RealAlfranco: 12:02pm On Oct 13, 2013
"Give to Ceazer what belongs to. Ceazer,and give to God what belongs to God"!!! ...
In this case da selfish guys automatically become Ceazer,so as to receive bribe or 'ceazer's mite' !!

7 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 13, 2013

9 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by ujoatu(m): 12:03pm On Oct 13, 2013
15 Then Naaman and all his
attendants went back to the man
of God. He stood before him and
said, “Now I know that there is no
God in all the world except in
Israel. So please accept a gift from
your servant.”
16 The prophet answered, “As
surely as the LORD lives, whom I
serve, I will not accept a thing.”
And even though Naaman urged
him, he refused.
thieves now called "men of God" do the opposite

13 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by kekakuz(m): 12:05pm On Oct 13, 2013
f
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by eldagaius(m): 12:05pm On Oct 13, 2013
Exodus 20 vs 8-11. Its been changed against God's will.

5 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Pukkah: 12:07pm On Oct 13, 2013
Going by the divergent practices of so many churches, it's sometimes difficult to even think that they use the same Bible.

Thousands of parts have been twisted - judge not, touch not my annointed, prosperity, women priests, tithes, first seed, alcohol, miracles, etc. Even a famous pastor said that self-service (mastur.bation) is not a sin!

May be the question should have been which part of the Bible HAS NOT been twisted. The twisted ones are too many to mention.

14 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by DrummaBoy(m): 12:08pm On Oct 13, 2013
'Touch not my anointed and do my prophets no harm'

A scripture used to justify the fact that pastors, regardless of how thieving they are, must not be criticized. They forget that that scriptures, found in Psalms, refers to the whole people of Israel. Thus, in application today, it must be the whole church and not just a privileged few.

11 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by italo: 12:10pm On Oct 13, 2013
lorretta u: That part of the bible that says 'women submit to your husband' has been always totally abused by men.

They delibrately leave out that part that says 'husbands love your wives as jesus loves his church'
Meaning you should love your wife to point of sacrificing urself is need be for her.and in return,she'll submit to you.

Now who wouldn't submit to someone who's primary care and concern is for her well being?

Very very true.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by DrummaBoy(m): 12:13pm On Oct 13, 2013
Alwaystrue:
Just by simply reading in context will have shown you the answer:

2 Peter 3:14-17 ESV
14 Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace.
15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him,

16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.
17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of LAWLESS people and lose your own stability.

Peter was simply saying we should be careful of people who twist Paul's letters on grace to mean lawlessness to their own destruction.

I agree. Anyone who uses the grace of God as license should be accursed!

But, are there any more scriptures twisted for gain than the ones folks used to advocate tithing? How do we come to a thread like this and forget scriptures twisted to the advocates' destruction like Malachi 3 and Matthew 23:23?

Those are the scriptures TWISTED for GAIN.

2 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Afam4eva(m): 12:14pm On Oct 13, 2013
I think the original books of the bible should be shown to us written in Hebrew or whatever language it was written in. I think a huge part of the bible has being lost in translation. Those who translated it to English for the first time may have translated based on their understanding of the scripture, so invariably, we may be swallowing someone's shallow understanding of the bible. Not to forget that right now we have different versions of the bible whose supposed aim is to break down the bible but they could also be broken down based on what the writers understand and not what the original writer or God intended for people to understand. That's why churches and denominations have different belief system different from each other.

8 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 13, 2013
lorretta u: That part of the bible that says 'women submit to your husband' has been always totally abused by men.

Very true, you cannot pick one part and discard the other .Both statements are together for a reason, one has to compliment the other.

2 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Afam4eva(m): 12:18pm On Oct 13, 2013

Meaning you should love your wife to point of sacrificing urself is need be for her[b].and in return,she'll submit to you.[/b]

With the bolded, it shows you're even twisting it further. Did the bible say a man should love his wife and in turn she will submit? The bible mentions firstly that women should submit and that husbands should love their wives and nowhere was it mentioned that one action should be as a result of the other. They're independent.

21 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Alwaystrue(f): 12:19pm On Oct 13, 2013
tatiana009:

Very true, you cannot pick one part and discard the other .Both statements are together for a reason, one has to compliment the other.
Very true indeed. Part of twisting scriptures is picking one part of scripture and leaving the other.

DrummaBoy:

I agree. Anyone who uses the grace of God as license should be accursed!

But, are there any more scriptures twisted for gain than the ones folks used to advocate tithing? How do we come to a thread like this and forget scriptures twisted to the advocates' destruction like Malachi 3 and Matthew 23:23?

Those are the scriptures TWISTED for GAIN.
Please post the scriptures here in full so we can know who twisted what and what part is being twisted.
Thanks.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by adetaiwo157(m): 12:22pm On Oct 13, 2013
Real_Alfranco: "Give to Ceazer what belongs to. Ceazer,and give to God what belongs to God"!!! ...
In this case da selfish guys automatically become Ceazer,so as to receive bribe or 'ceazer's mite' !!
.................U AR OVA CCORECT

2 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Bome01(m): 12:25pm On Oct 13, 2013
"It is blessed to give than to receive" has been twisted by pastors for their own selfish gain! Tragic!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Joshua Iginla Visits Manger Where Jesus Was Wrapped & Kept After Delivery (Photo / Pastor Penuel Mnguni Feeds Congregation With Dog And Frog Meat To Heal HIV / Bishop Oyedepo Fires Back At Erelu Agbaye, Says Allegation Of Occultism Amounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.