Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,671 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Blacks In America - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Blacks In America (928 Views)

Photo Of Bola Tinubu On The 'wall Of Fame' As An Outstanding Alumni In America / Breaking: Buhari Forms New Party In America / IMAGINE: Netanyahu, The Prime Minister Of Israel Insulting Us The Blacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blacks In America by Mamajama(m): 3:11pm On Jul 24, 2008
Good morning and lets hear your assessment of the show last night.

Was that a good depiction of blacks in America? Some of the comments by females on that show were appalling and sadistic.

Do blacks in America have the opportunity to become what ever they want to be or we are full of excuses?

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/black.in.america/
Re: Blacks In America by landis(m): 4:33pm On Jul 24, 2008
Mamajama:

Do blacks in America have the opportunity to become what ever they want to be or we are full of excuses?

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/black.in.america/

Mamajama,
why dont you come back home. I am sure IBB-boys would give you better opportunity than Bush-boys.

grin cheesy grin
Re: Blacks In America by iice(f): 4:34pm On Jul 24, 2008
I was watching that too. Some of the statistics are shocked shocked
Re: Blacks In America by rubi(f): 4:50pm On Jul 24, 2008
[quote][/quote]

I personally have observed that blacks have the opportunity because it a country that gives people the 100% room/freedom to grow/become what you want to be if you are willing and able. On the other hand eg there are some job opportunities that some companies/organizations have sweared within themselves that no black will enter they might not say it verbally because of lawsuit but within the management they know who they want to hire and that makes it hard most times for blacks to be heard and not seen
Re: Blacks In America by HCH3COO: 4:51pm On Jul 24, 2008
100% freedom? stop talking yaka yaka out of your mouth jare abeg. blacks do have the opportunity to grow wings but it's a lot harder for them to make progress than a caucasian in a similar situation.
Re: Blacks In America by morpheus24: 5:29pm On Jul 24, 2008
THey need to stop the "entitlement" mentality and connect with the world at large. THe upper class/middle class GDP of blacks in America is equal to the budget of some nations in the world, yet they do not know how to galvanize that power for regional and global success. Brainwashed consumerism is another terrible effect of the experience in America. While the average immigrant/Nigerian is busy re- investing his money to quadruple it they are ride in big body benzs and stunting.

Go figure
Re: Blacks In America by BigB11(m): 5:41pm On Jul 24, 2008
Blacks in America are divided into 3 categories:

1. The Challenger aka "the fighters": They are very tough and extremely difficult to masticate.
Regardless of what the circumstance may be, this group wouldn't let go the past.
The past seems to continue to linger in their soul deeper and deeper from generation to generation. They mostly see white folks as bunch of enemies who continue to sabotage their opportunity to progress in America; they refuse to trust them and mostly view America as a hostile nation.
They're pretty much boxed in and often challenge whites folks to display proof that they are not white racist before accepting or opening up to them.
They also tend to struggle more in life and their success rate in-terms of accomplishment is low. eg: Farrakhan, Al Sharpton, Sister Souljah and many more.

2. The bargainer: They are very open, very friendly and mostly very successful.
This group recognizes the past and understand the negative impact the past has brought onto their people in general; but at the same time, they are willing to move on and give peace and harmony a chance. They tend not to negatively focus on race issues except for obvious reason. On both end, they mostly view racism to be an immoral and undesirable attribute of the human psyche
They also mingle or interact very well with white folks, but at the same time never for once forget where they're from or forget the symbol of their true identities. eg: Obama, Oprah and many more.

3. The lost soul: This group pretty much lacks self esteem. When they look at the mirror, they usually do not like what they see. They see nothing intriguing about black folks or being black.
Having more white friends makes them feel better about themselves. In order to empower their whiteness relationships, they even do not mind cracking few black jokes among their white friends. They are ready to do anything to be accepted in various white societies.
They usually do not go back to their old neighbourhoods; from time to time, they also feel that they're better and greater than their black friends and families. eg OJ, C Thomas and many more.

Therefore, to me, being black in America could be great, could be challenging and could also be sad.
White folks will continue to be who they are, it is up to you to carefully study these groups and make your selection.

Nigeria is my country, but America (the land of enormous opportunities) remains the greatest country on earth, that can never, never be compared to any other country.
Re: Blacks In America by Blatant: 5:43pm On Jul 24, 2008
rubi:

I personally have observed that blacks have the opportunity because it a country that gives people the 100% room/freedom to grow/become what you want to be if you are willing and able. On the other hand eg there are some job opportunities that some companies/organizations have sweared within themselves that no black will enter they might not say it verbally because of lawsuit but within the management they know who they want to hire and that makes it hard most times for blacks to be heard and not seen

Dont you see how much you are contradicting yourself? You dont have 100% opportunity as a black man because there are restrictions albeit unofficial. You have to do 10 times better and more than the white man for you to stand on an equal footing at certain levels
Re: Blacks In America by tpia: 5:46pm On Jul 24, 2008
Blacks in America have had a long and tortuous history with whites.

True, they have opportunities now that may have not been present before, but it came at a price.

The fact is, whites are the ones making the laws, and whoever has the ability to manipulate and control the legal system, has the ultimate power. So I think thats why the majority of AAs seem to be on tenterhooks all the time, and never take anything for granted the way Africans abroad tend to do.

However, some attitudes, like ignoring black on black violence while constantly harping about (white) racism, are self defeating. Same applies to Africans.

I dont watch the program, because I feel much of it has already been said at one time or the other. Maybe I'll try to catch it one of these days.
Re: Blacks In America by rubi(f): 6:02pm On Jul 24, 2008
@Blantant
Did you read my post very very well? The blacks are given eg financial aid to go to school if they want to and qualify for it I know a lot of many blacks that came to America to be precise Nigerians and became doctors, nurses, pharmacist and even own the private agencies it is up to you what you want to be. I you dialogue on political sector blacks and white yes I might agree with you. On the other hand re-read my post!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Blacks In America by LASIEFAIRE(m): 6:05pm On Jul 24, 2008
rubi:

@Blantant
Did you read my post very very well? The blacks are given eg financial aid to go to school if they want to and qualify for it I know a lot of many blacks that came to America to be precise Nigerians and became doctors, nurses, pharmacist and even own the private agencies it is up to you what you want to be. I you dialogue on political sector blacks and white yes I might agree with you. On the other hand re-read my post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats like a hundred in a billion.
Re: Blacks In America by Ibime(m): 6:11pm On Jul 24, 2008
O boy, Yankee is trying when it comes to giving opportunities to blacks and so is UK. Their governments constantly throw grants and funding at social schemes to improve the lives of black folk. Unfortunately, a lot of black folk do not see this and always think the Government is against them. I believe that a black man with any drive and focus will succeed in Yankee or UK. All those complaining about USA should go and see their black counterparts in Brazil, Latin America, Germany etc
Re: Blacks In America by rubi(f): 6:14pm On Jul 24, 2008
Ibime:

O boy, Yankee is trying when it comes to giving opportunities to blacks and so is UK. Their governments constantly throw grants and funding at social schemes to improve the lives of black folk. Unfortunately, a lot of black folk do not see this and always think the Government is against them. I believe that a black man with any drive and focus will succeed in Yankee or UK. All those complaining about USA should go and see their black counterparts in Brazil, Latin America, Germany etc

WORD NO SHAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Militants Destroying S-south, Says Amaechi / Governor Fashola's Article On The Sun / N2.3bn Car Scam: Bankole, Deputy Indicted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.