Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,127 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 (19021 Views)

Super Eagles Match Statistics For 2013 / Vincent Enyeama Will Be Lille's First-choice Keeper For 2013/2014 Season / FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by colossus2: 10:43am On Dec 03, 2013
safarigirl: learn to comprehend before rushing to reply.
Do I need to quote your entire post before you get my drift? Learn to comprehend also tongue
#teamYaya

Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by omar22(m): 11:01am On Dec 03, 2013
Well the right player won it

CAF award to follow!!!
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by Nobody: 11:02am On Dec 03, 2013
leggo:
sneidjer? lol. D.millito was named uefa player of the year, serie a player of the year, forlan was named player of the tournament in the world cup,so where was your sneidjer? you and your follow follow behaviour
from their comment u shall knw them. one doesn't need a fortune teller to know dat u re one of those barcelona fans dat has been blinded by club fanatism.

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by omar22(m): 11:05am On Dec 03, 2013
abatically:

Let me answer ur question. How many times has a defender won the award since canavaro? Only 2 defenders have won the award to date and that was lother matthaus and canavaro. It is not easy for a defender to win that award because it isgoals that win u games. Canavaro won it because of the fill Wong reasons
1. He was the captain of the Italian team that won the works cup
2. Italy won the world cup by being the beat defending team
3. Italy conceded just 2 goals throughout the tournament. An own goal against USA and a zidane's penalty in the final.
4. Canavaro played every minute of the world cup and was outstanding. He got the nick name wall or Berlin.
5. He didn't get a single yellow card or red card theouout the tournament.
6. He was so good real Madrid had to buy him. And there was no other player that could really be compared to him that year. Canavaro is regarded as the best defender in his generation.

So yes a defender can win but it will take something extraordinary. Do u think people pay big to go watch football because of defenders? No, they pay to watch players with skills, that can score goals, players that cab entertain the fans. Can such be said about Mikel? What did Mikel do to warrant him win the award? Do u think non Nigerians love to watch Mikel play? Go outside Nigerians and compare the 2 players Mikel and yaya and u will get ur answer.

Lothar Mattheaus was a playmaker for Inter and West Germany when he won the award only dropped to a sweeper role during the twilight of his career but I still support your argument for Cannavarro

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by Nobody: 11:10am On Dec 03, 2013
pek: that's Why Nigeria is where she is today! we always act out of sentiments!
And dats also y u remain stagnant because of ur animosity towards ur fellow nigerian.
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by omar22(m): 11:20am On Dec 03, 2013
Nashoji: And dats also y u remain stagnant because of ur animosity towards ur fellow nigerian.

Look no one here could tell me Moses or Mikel is better than Yaya Toure, no one could tell me they both played better than Yaya Toure in the last 12 months

If you ask Jose Mourinho! will you swap Mikel for Yaya Toure? in a heartbeat he will say yes

If you ask Keshi to manage an all African team and he had the choice to choose between Toure and Mikel, only if he is a fool he will choose Mikel.

This is sports not politics, in sports you have to be fair in your judgement! am Sorry but Toure beats Mikel in everyway as a player, bare in mind Yaya was a holding midfielder when Barcelona won the CL in 2009
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by Dave008(m): 11:26am On Dec 03, 2013
I'm sorry 2 say but it's lyk sme pple r really deluded here. Are we talking abt overall abilities of players or their performance in the year under review. And 4 those sayin mikel didn't do shit during d AFCON, we won @least 3 man of the match nd had d highest assists if i cud remembered, nd also dt last-ditch clearance against CIV. Also he may nt have had assists 4 CFC bt do av sec. assists nd both av diff roles nd varying qualities in their team. Enough said. Guess u remembered Bousquet-Toure tussle then at Barca
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by Nobody: 11:26am On Dec 03, 2013
oluxy:

I don't think u have eyes; to see how mikel plays his style of football and contribution..
U re a Nigerian for God sake not............**.
That is why most of u don't progress. When u see smth that deserves progress and truth say it.
look at hw progressive u re. must u make such comment?
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by Ping411: 11:33am On Dec 03, 2013
Mikel deserves both BBC's and CAF's award. He did well for both club and country.

Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria...Mikel outclassed Yaya Toure. I just hope Yaya does not win CAF's award too, that will be unfair.
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by omar22(m): 11:34am On Dec 03, 2013
Dave_008: I'm sorry 2 say but it's lyk sme pple r really deluded here. Are we talking abt overall abilities of players or their performance in the year under review. And 4 those sayin mikel didn't do shit during d AFCON, we won @least 3 man of the match nd had d highest assists if i cud remembered, nd also dt last-ditch clearance against CIV. Also he may nt have had assists 4 CFC bt do av sec. assists nd both av diff roles nd varying qualities in their team. Enough said. Guess u remembered Bousquet-Toure tussle then at Barca

Do you know how many man of the match Yaya has in the last 4 months (let alone 12 months)
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by omar22(m): 11:35am On Dec 03, 2013
Ping411: Mikel deserves both BBC's and CAF's award. He did well for both club and country.

Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria...Mikel outclassed Yaya Toure. I just hope Yaya does not win CAF's award too, that will be unfair.

Thats one game out of nearly 60 games they both played within a calender year

3 Likes

Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by jorrey(m): 11:44am On Dec 03, 2013
bastien: my bros cool down,na lecture we dey lecture ourselves!!! Well Pitropa and Moses any of dos deserve MPV in nations cup,and not Mr Mikel!!!

Ameobi didn't score that match,be he did and cus lot of trouble to the back four,how many as mikel done? Do u think I will waste my vote on a midfielder who is sluggish and always takin d ball back to a defender or goalkeeper?
God bless you for these comment. I am a patriotic Nigerian but truth be told Yaya deserves the award much more than Mikel.. cos mikel is the only defender that i have seen that is sluggish and always like passing the ball to keeper or defenders..he is never offensive in his style of play....abeg Moses or pitropa is better of Mikel ehh....

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by Greatihex(m): 11:58am On Dec 03, 2013
leggo:
no logic at all.. messi and argentina didnt play well in SA10 and yet he was named player of the year.. individual performances matter not just trophies won..
. u dont know anytin about association football. wat is individual performance wen it could not give your team a trophy.
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by bastien: 12:02pm On Dec 03, 2013
Murphydready:
My friend u sound very sentimental on mikel's performance may be u r a manchester untd fan
nope I'm not united fan,I'm a gooner,I love Mikel so much b4,but start hating him,when pride got over him,he doesn't get serious when called to Nairaland,he feel,bcus mayb he has won CL,EPL,Uefa,etc,d way he plays for chelsea is different from the way he plays for Nairaland, when we played against Italy,I thought I was the only one seein it,until some old men at the bar confirmed it,watch wat Pirlo did,wen he came in,he played wit his heart,Pirlo is a complete player,and has won everything in football,I see no reason why mikel wil just hold my ball 4 1mins,sluggishly and later pass it 2 d goalkeeper
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by abatically(m): 12:03pm On Dec 03, 2013
All those in support of Mikel because he won the Nations cup and Europa league, abeg when Jay Jay Okocha won this award in 2003 and 2004, which trophy did he win? WHy didn't u guys complain then that Okocha didn't deserve it? Goals win u games. People pay to watch players that can get u entertained and score goals, not sluggish players that only do back and side passes. canavaro won Ballon D'or because he was exceptional and Italy conceded just 2 goals in the world cup, one from an own goal and one from a penalty. That was an exceptional situation and no defender has won it since then. If Mikel had done something exceptional in the nations cup maybe he would have been considered. But he is really just a squad player while Yaya is a vital player for City. Maybe if Mikel had kept playing the way he did in the youth championship he would have become a better player. But he was converted into a defensive midfielder and he was content with it, not wanting to take risks. Great players take risks. yaya wasn't Man City's free kick taker but he forced his way and now he scores free kicks for fun.

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by omar22(m): 12:09pm On Dec 03, 2013
Greatihex: . u dont know anytin about association football. wat is individual performance wen it could not give your team a trophy.

So when they gave Zidane and Forlan the MVP (Golden Balls) at both 2006 and 2010 WC, please tell me who won the world cup?

Its not a about team achievements its all about individual performance
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by bizibrain(m): 12:09pm On Dec 03, 2013
jorrey:
God bless you for these comment. I am a patriotic Nigerian but truth be told Yaya deserves the award much more than Mikel.. cos mikel is the only defender that i have seen that is sluggish and always like passing the ball to keeper or defenders..he is never offensive in his style of play....abeg Moses or pitropa is better of Mikel ehh....
Mikel is nt dat bad, mikel is just 2 obedient wit d role he plays, remember during confederations cup against uruguay, mikel was so offensive 2 d extent of scoring a left footed goal (because his strikers were useless dan shit), even he was offensive against spain driving amidst 3 mid-fielders sucessfuly

Mikel as a great potential 2 b better dan yaya, but he didnt utilize it @ all, all in d name of obeying manager, doesnt take risk.

Though yaya is better dan mikel but chelsea hardly lose a match with mikel, and dey considerable lose some games in mikel's absential (newcastle Vs chelsea)even lampard praise mikel 4 d coverups if he move offensively.

If Mikel is given d chance 2 play is game, he will surely b offensive.
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:15pm On Dec 03, 2013
Kenistry:
Ronaldinho...2005

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%E2%80%9305_La_Liga

Barcelona FC won the La Liga and the Spanish Super Cup 04/05. Now tell me a World best player without a trophy.
angry
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:20pm On Dec 03, 2013
greenhulk: Mikel's biggest problem is the fear to take risks in Chelsea. Goals win u games and there is no way a player that scores goals to win games can be overlooked. Same reason messi won ballon do'r in 2012 without winning any trophy. Before Mikel moved to Chelsea he was an attacking player, mourinho converted him to a defensive midfielder agreed but he didn't improve. Essien in his peak was a defensive midfielder but he scored some wonder goals. Yaya toure was a defensive midfielder when he was at barcelona but he wasn't afraid to go forward. He took risks and paid off when he came to man city. He wasn't their free kick taker but took risks in taking free kicks and now he scores free kicks for fun. Didier drogba wasn't Chelsea's free kick taker but he forced himself to take free kicks even with lampard on the field and it paid off. Good players take risks, Mikel is too timid and that is why he hasn't improved. He was second to messi at the youth championship but he hasn't improved since then.

Yaya had Barry and now Fernandhino to protect the back four. At Chelsea Mikel protects the back four and can't take that risk. Based on achievements, Yaya achieved nothing and can't be Africa's best. If it is based on individual talents, many Africans outscored Yaya like Aubameyang.
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:26pm On Dec 03, 2013
pek: first question, did you vote? second, do you think it is what you won with your club or country?

Yes I voted Mikel. This award is for the African footballer of the year and it is wrong for somene without a title to be voted above players that won trophies for both club and country.
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:29pm On Dec 03, 2013
abatically: Everybody on this forum that thinks Mikel should have won it just because he won the nations cup and Europa league should ask themselves if jay jay okocha shouldn't have won it in 2003 and 2004. Okocha didn't win anything in those years and yet he won it, Nigerians didn't complain because he was a Nigerian, now they are saying BBC is biased just because a better player won it.

If Okocha won nothing that year, then he didn't deserve it.
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by abatically(m): 12:29pm On Dec 03, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

Barcelona FC won the La Liga and the Spanish Super Cup 04/05. Now tell me a World best player without a trophy.
angry

Ronaldinho 2004.
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by omar22(m): 12:29pm On Dec 03, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

angry

Barcelona or Ronaldinho won what? in 2004

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by abatically(m): 12:31pm On Dec 03, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

If Okocha won nothing that year, then he didn't deserve it.

Okocha won nothing in both 2003 and 2004 and he won BBC Player of the year because he was the most outstanding AFrican player in those years.
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by abatically(m): 12:32pm On Dec 03, 2013
omar22:

Barcelona or Ronaldinho won what? in 2004

Thanks Jare. Barcelona didn't win anything in 2004. No La liga, Champions leage, Uefa League or Copa Del Rey. Also Olympics was won by Argentina and yes Ronaldinho won Ballon D'or
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by omar22(m): 12:34pm On Dec 03, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

Yaya had Barry and now Fernandhino to protect the back four. At Chelsea Mikel protects the back four and can't take that risk. Based on achievements, Yaya achieved nothing and can't be Africa's best. If it is based on individual talents, many Africans outscored Yaya like Aubameyang.

Yaya Toure plays Defensive midfield, Central Midfield and Attacking midfield.... at the 2009 CL final he was asked to play as a centre half due to suspension the defenders.

Like I said its not a team achievement, but individual performance... Gareth Bale won the premier league player of the year (what did he win?)

Andriy Shevchenko won the 2004 Ballon d'or and Milan won
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:45pm On Dec 03, 2013
omar22:

Look no one here could tell me Moses or Mikel is better than Yaya Toure, no one could tell me they both played better than Yaya Toure in the last 12 months

If you ask Jose Mourinho! will you swap Mikel for Yaya Toure? in a heartbeat he will say yes

If you ask Keshi to manage an all African team and he had the choice to choose between Toure and Mikel, only if he is a fool he will choose Mikel.

This is sports not politics, in sports you have to be fair in your judgement! am Sorry but Toure beats Mikel in everyway as a player, bare in mind Yaya was a holding midfielder when Barcelona won the CL in 2009

Yaya wasn't a regular. Busquets played that role.

If Yaya even won the FA Cup, there will be no debate here but he won nothing. Imagine a World best without a trophy.
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:48pm On Dec 03, 2013
omar22:

Yaya Toure plays Defensive midfield, Central Midfield and Attacking midfield.... at the 2009 CL final he was asked to play as a centre half due to suspension the defenders.

Like I said its not a team achievement, but individual performance... Gareth Bale won the premier league player of the year (what did he win?)

You can't be a best player without trophies. It is wrong. I also totally disagreed with Bale's own. He won nothing. Van Persie was clearly the reason Man Utd were unstoppable. Van Persie was the best.
Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by solomon111(m): 12:50pm On Dec 03, 2013
colo$$u$:

Are you kidding some of us here cheesy shocked
You think Nigeria would've won the AFCON without mikel?
Lol.
Maybe you didn't watch the matches on a clear television.
Mikel was the one that prevented yaya toure from destroying us from midfield.
He was the most creative and tactically disciplined member of our AFCON winning team.

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:55pm On Dec 03, 2013
solomon111: You think Nigeria would've won the AFCON without mikel?
Lol.
Maybe you didn't watch the matches on a clear television.
Mikel was the one that prevented yaya toure from destroying us from midfield.
He was the most creative and tactically disciplined member of our AFCON winning team.

Even the analysts in Super Sports studios including Ruud Gullit were shocked Mikel wasn't crowned the best player. CAF just comensated Pitropa.

Re: Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 by omar22(m): 12:57pm On Dec 03, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

Yaya wasn't a regular. Busquets played that role.

If Yaya even won the FA Cup, there will be no debate here but he won nothing. Imagine a World best without a trophy.
Busquet became a regular in 2010 only because Guardiola was managing the B team and felt that he was ready and wanted to get rid of all the trouble makers under Frank Rijdkaard (Eto, Deco, Belletti, Toure, Marquez etc) and he was the lowest paid player at Barca

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Arsene Wenger: Mikel Arteta Wants Ex-arsenal Boss To Return To Club / Everton Sacks Manager, Ronald Koeman After Arsenal Defeat / Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.