Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,350 members, 7,812,000 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? (2416 Views)

Victims Of "You Must Get Pregnant For Me Or No Marriage" / Is It Possible To Get Pregnant Two Days Before The Period? / How To Get Pregnant With a Boy and Twins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Sentempest(f): 3:58pm On Dec 03, 2013
Please oh i need someone to help me talk to my sister who want to reject the marriage proposal from a man she has dated for 2years+ simply because she has not being pregnant for him since they ve been dating! Is it wise? Plz ur candid advice needed.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 03, 2013
If pregnancy/children is the only thing her fiancee sees in her and she still goes ahead with the marriage,whatever she sees there she should faramo.

I wonder what happens to the marriage when a miscarriage happens or the kids are all grown and left home since thats the only thing he sees in her

baby making company

its a pity some ladies have brain but cant be used

so you mean there is no other foundation that holds that marriage except PREGNANCY/CHILDREN.no love,no empathy, no respect,no value,no sympathy,no patience,no understanding,no compromise.chisos,women don turn 2 for 5 naira o.imagine a man giving a woman condition for marriage grin like say na gold medal grin

smh

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Nnekacherry: 8:51pm On Dec 03, 2013
No it's not good..
The question is, are they getting together because they love each other or just to make babies..
At this stage babies should be the last thing on her mind..
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by ifyalways(f): 9:03pm On Dec 03, 2013
Your sister I presume is an adult and we have varying reasons for getting into marriage, different goals and priorities.

She's the one dating the man,not you. If for whatever reason she feels the man is shooting blanks/is incapable of getting her pregnant,which is what I THINK is happening now, and she wants to have kids,infact having children is on top her priority list then she's 100% right to reject the mans proposal!

You just have to sit down with her and find out why she thinks the man cannot get her pregnant. Have they seen a doctor? Did she have a DC in the past and worried about herself?

Her life,her choice. You can't make her change her mindset unless she decides to.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by greatgod2012(f): 9:07pm On Dec 03, 2013
It's very unfortunate that in this modern age, some people still dont realise that there is more to marriage than popping out babies.

@op, though, in Africa, we love children so much, we see children as reward or evidence of good marriages, but when it's made as a condition with which a lady can be considered marriageable, then, the foundation of that marriage is already shaking, even when no brick has been put on it.
To be candid, there are soooo many storms in marriages, it is the type of foundation on which a marriage is built that will determine if the marriage will survive the storm or not.

I will suggest that both of them do still have to tarry a little in order to learn(through guidance and counselling)the rudiments of marriage before venturing into it.
May God give them the wisdom to do things aright. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by RollingFella(m): 9:33pm On Dec 03, 2013
Sen.tempest:
Please oh i need someone to help me talk to my sister who want to reject the marriage proposal from a man she has dated for 2years+ simply because she has not being pregnant for him since they ve been dating! Is it wise? Plz ur candid advice needed.
. I think you should elaborate and explain more on this story becaus there are a lot your sister is not telling you. I suspect infertility from the man's side and probably your sister do not have the emotional strenght and mental toughness to go through any ordeal with anybody.

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Sentempest(f): 10:59pm On Dec 03, 2013
Thks my fellow nairalanders. But the truth is that she also claims that she love dis man and vein dated him for 2yrs now and no sign of pregnancy cause she is scared she might nt get pregnant for him if the finally got married & she is nt on any pills for the pass twoyears nw! But stil no conception.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by dayokanu(m): 1:48am On Dec 04, 2013
Your sister is sensible

Same if I am dating a girl we have been having unprotected sex regularly for 2yrs and nothing at all, P never miss in 2yr. I would be wary too

You sister no wan marry paper tiger
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Toyinletstalk(f): 4:56am On Dec 04, 2013
Your sister has her reasons. She is the one dating the man and she knows better, so her decisions should be respected. I like the fact that she knows what she wants.

Relationships though, shouldn't really be about popping out kids and making money, but you can't change someone else's mentality until they are really ready to change it.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Sentempest(f): 6:29am On Dec 04, 2013
Toyinletstalk: Your sister has her reasons. She is the one dating the man and she knows better, so her decisions should be respected. I like the fact that she knows what she wants.

Relationships though, shouldn't really be about popping out kids and making money, but you can't change someone else's mentality until they are really ready to change it.
a relationship she claims she loves him to the core.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Nobody: 7:29am On Dec 04, 2013
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Nobody: 8:49am On Dec 04, 2013
chaircover:

How does your sister know that she is not the one with fertility issues. . . please dont tell me that she got pregnant before in a previous relationship; because infertility can come at any time. I have a friend with only one daughter and she has been trying for about 15 years for another baby.

If she is that concerned, her first point of call is to a hospital to get her and her finance tested. Tests wont cover all eventualities, but it will give them both an idea of their reproductive health.
mrs aso aga (chair cover) you are talking like the lady in question is married SHE IS NOT EVEN MARRIED.

i dont believe you are of the school of thought which believes in children before marriage.speaking about putting the cart before the horse,like even if she is mother abraham,that is enough to sustain a marriage.

Imagine what they are building ad the foundation of marriage.i thought you have been married for quite some time and should know better much more being the chairlady of e- marriage counselling on family section cheesy

aso aga you are fast changing from the chaircover i used to know :*

what is happening wink
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 04, 2013
As far as naija is concerned, the most important reason for getting married is to have children and hv them legally too bc of our culture. Others na jara. A very solid fact. Let's not pretend about this pls.

Topic,
Babe, its non of ur biz. We always wanna act good samaritan in something wey no concern us.

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Nobody: 9:20am On Dec 04, 2013
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
She ll be the one to bear the brunt of the in laws when the babies are not forthcoming, love alone cannot make a marriage. Her life,her decisions....let her be.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by dayokanu(m): 4:23pm On Dec 04, 2013
Look lets not talk anyhow here

How many of us here would be happy in a love filled but childless marriage?

Its the women who would even raise dust the most

The sister realized this early and she is taking measures to counter it from the start

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by eagleeye2: 8:25pm On Dec 04, 2013
ifyalways: Your sister I presume is an adult and we have varying reasons for getting into marriage, different goals and priorities.

She's the one dating the man,not you. If for whatever reason she feels the man is shooting blanks/is incapable of getting her pregnant,which is what I THINK is happening now, and she wants to have kids,infact having children is on top her priority list then she's 100% right to reject the mans proposal!

You just have to sit down with her and find out why she thinks the man cannot get her pregnant. Have they seen a doctor? Did she have a DC in the past and worried about herself?

Her life,her choice. You can't make her change her mindset unless she decides to.
Anty Ify, thank you for this advice ohh!.... Guys una dey hear am so..... If you okay and you girl no fit carry belle for you before marriage and you want babies, please free the babe ohh!
Her fellow woman(abi na fellow widow) has adviced all those testing the engine to know if it really works to do the needful.....
NB
believe me this kind of advice will do more good to the guys than the ladies. My opinion though.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by eagleeye2: 8:31pm On Dec 04, 2013
chaircover:

How does your sister know that she is not the one with fertility issues. . . please dont tell me that she got pregnant before in a previous relationship; because infertility can come at any time.
Madam CC,
Are you sure you are not my long lost aunty from my mama and papa side.
Op, how old is your sister? Cos at a certain age it starts getting a bit difficult to take in just like that, without any aid.......
Please, be truthful.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by ifyalways(f): 10:05pm On Dec 04, 2013
eagle,eye:

Anty Ify, thank you for this advice ohh!.... Guys una dey hear am so..... If you okay and you girl no fit carry belle for you before marriage and you want babies, please free the babe ohh!
Her fellow woman(abi na fellow widow) has adviced all those testing the engine to know if it really works to do the needful.....
NB
believe me this kind of advice will do more good to the guys than the ladies. My opinion though.
What's up with the widow statement ? Is that a sick joke or you and yours lost your husband/wife ?

It will land on your head first.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Nobody: 3:34am On Dec 05, 2013
Abeg, were they living together? How regular could this unprotected sex have been? Was the man in on the plan to get pregnant? It doesn't sound like it, so I find it hard to believe he was having unprotected sex unreservedly the entire 2 years. What manner of irresponsibility would that be? He must have used a condom here, withdrawal there etc. I won't be surprised to hear they had 'unprotected sex' only some of the time if you delve deeper.

By the way, how does she know she is not the one with the problem before she sends away the one that wants to marry her. Instead of acting like an illiterate, she could at least ask that they go for fertility testing like many others are doing these days to confirm if there is really a problem and who has it.

As for how many times you have gotten pregnant for someone while dating (while not actively trying for a baby) being the measure of whom to marry?... Smh.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by eagleeye2: 4:27am On Dec 05, 2013
ifyalways:
What's up with the widow statement ? Is that a sick joke or you and yours lost your husband/wife ?

It will land on your head first.
Gbahara....forgive....na madam patty cause am...
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by sazyn: 5:09am On Dec 05, 2013
@Op, I understand where ur sister is coming from. After 2yrs n no show plus considering the fact dat u r still waiting on God, I get her reservations. It's her life, all you can do is advice her but ultimately it is up to her to do what she wants to do. Sha ask her to go for medical check up, at least to be sure the problem is not from here.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by EfemenaXY: 7:17am On Dec 05, 2013
Sen.tempest:

Your sister is an adult and knows what she wants.

If she's based in Naija, engaged to a Nigerian man, then yes - her choice makes a lot of sense and I respect her for that. At least she's being very clear on what she wants and has laid her cards on the table. No time for sme-sme and she just wants to get down to business. If the man can't deliver the goods, then he's out the door.

Yeah, her actions might sound harsh, but not as harsh as what she'll be subjected to by her in-laws and probably her hubby himself a couple of years down the line of married life. I can almost picture it - the unbearable pressure from in-laws poke-nosing and wanting to know why pikin never enter the equation (even if the fault is the man's), her mother-in-law dragging her off to meet the 'pastors' of Celestial church of A, holy ghost ministries of miracles, etc where she'll be forced to swallow gallons of Olive Oil, bath n@ked and bury red candles at Lagos bar beach, and so on and so forth... (where is madam Debrief! cry cry sigh...)

No, better she saves herself the stress now than jump from frying pan to fire. All those shouting love...love...love...Naija love nor dey waka reach that side of childlessness. When push comes to shove, no one will bat an eyelid if the man decides to get a second / third wife + x number of girlfriends along the way to 'test' his fertility. He'll even get a pat on the back for it.

But her nko? Will she be at liberty to take a second / third husband or to 'test' her fertility outside? I don't think so. At the end of the day, we women can shout ourselves hoarse but in Naija, it's a man's world and women are expected to lead conservative lives and definitely no exploring especially once married.

Only thing I'll add on here is that she and her man both go for extensive medical / fertility checkups. Let the medics do their thing and rule out any possibilities of infertility caused from STIs / STDs, and they should also count the man's little swimmers and how active they are.

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by eagleeye2: 7:31am On Dec 05, 2013
Efemena_xy:

If she's based in Naija, engaged to a Nigerian man, then yes - her choice makes a lot of sense and I respect her for that. At least she's being very clear on what she wants and has laid her cards on the table. No time for sme-sme and she just wants to get down to business. If the man can't deliver the goods, then he's out the door.

I just hope the guys are reading in between the line. If you are TTC before marriage and the woman has not taken in, the ladies in the house say...Gba Brake.
I will hate to hear/read of a guy who comes up with this kind of complaints and the ladies will start asking him "Are you marrying her for Love or for her ability to make babies" or " Love is all that matters. Guys make una shine eye.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by dayokanu(m): 7:39am On Dec 05, 2013
I trust Efe jare she doesnt mince words

Dont mind the others who are saying she married for love

How many of them can stay in a marriage without any kids to show
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by EfemenaXY: 7:44am On Dec 05, 2013
dayokanu: I trust Efe jare she doesnt mince words

Dont mind the others who are saying she married for love

How many of them can stay in a marriage without any kids to show

^^ Abi?

@ eagle, eye: Naija 'love' nor dey extend reach childlessness. Let's call a spade a spade jare. Prevention is better than cure as per a broken engagement is better than a broken marriage.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by dayokanu(m): 7:51am On Dec 05, 2013
No be this same Naija wey woman wey get only girls never get seat for her husband house?

OP your sister is very smart oo. I am all for test driving wella to see if na car wey no get engine you wan boy

WHen barrenness enter equation now, Maybe na you go come chook her make she born
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by eagleeye2: 7:56am On Dec 05, 2013
Efemena_xy:

^^ Abi?

@ eagle, eye: Naija 'love' nor dey extend reach childlessness. Let's call a spade a spade jare. Prevention is better than cure as per a broken engagement is better than a broken marriage.
I get your point though..... but its some other women now that will come to preach love when man makes this kind of complaint.... All is Fair in War and Love.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 05, 2013
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by dayokanu(m): 8:13am On Dec 05, 2013
Maybe she has heard of ppl who went for test everything is fine yet they cant conceive. No be today Doctor dey tell ppl that everything is Okay

The best test is to testdrive wella and get belle. No test pass that one

If they are barren now and problem comes, How many ppl she wan show the test result? Even if they believe test result next they would adduce it to spiritual issue

And no be today e start, several old people even in our parents generation got married with protruding bellies
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by EfemenaXY: 8:26am On Dec 05, 2013
eagle,eye:

I get your point though..... but its some other women now that will come to preach love when man makes this kind of complaint.... All is Fair in War and Love.

First of all, there's no fairness here especially in Naija where the woman's concerned - CC's covered that angle wella in her explanation.

Secondly the notion about women preaching love is Mills and Boon with a non-African setting. @OP's sister is a realist and I like realists.
Re: Is It Good To Trying To Get Pregnant When Not Yet Married? by Nobody: 8:45am On Dec 05, 2013
Efemena_xy:

If she's based in Naija, engaged to a Nigerian man, then yes - her choice makes a lot of sense and I respect her for that. At least she's being very clear on what she wants and has laid her cards on the table. No time for sme-sme and she just wants to get down to business. If the man can't deliver the goods, then he's out the door.you are sooooooooo right

You couldnt have said it any bettermi remember the other day when one of those nl things was telling me as a lady you are supppsed to be seen not heard.i bursted in laughter and deliberatly let it go not because i didnt have a befiting answer but on a 2nd thought this is africa.men unconsciously expect women to be doormats or daft
their only usefulness is in marriage and child popping,if they cant fulfill that,tjey are ejected or sidelined

thats what i call african reality 101

Yeah, her actions might sound harsh, but not as harsh as what she'll be subjected to by her in-laws and probably her hubby himself a couple of years down the line of married life. I can almost picture it - the unbearable pressure from in-laws poke-nosing and wanting to know why pikin never enter the equation (even if the fault is the man's), her mother-in-law dragging her off to meet the 'pastors' of Celestial church of A, holy ghost ministries of miracles, etc where she'll be forced to swallow gallons of Olive Oil, bath n@ked and bury red candles at Lagos bar beach, and so on and so forth... (where is madam Debrief! cry cry sigh...)

No, better she saves herself the stress now than jump from frying pan to fire. All those shouting love...love...love...Naija love nor dey waka reach that side of childlessness. When push comes to shove, no one will bat an eyelid if the man decides to get a second / third wife + x number of girlfriends along the way to 'test' his fertility. He'll even get a pat on the back for it.

But her nko? Will she be at liberty to take a second / third husband or to 'test' her fertility outside? I don't think so. At the end of the day, we women can shout ourselves hoarse but in Naija, it's a man's world and women are expected to lead conservative lives and definitely no exploring especially once married.

Only thing I'll add on here is that she and her man both go for extensive medical / fertility checkups. Let the medics do their thing and rule out any possibilities of infertility caused from STIs / STDs, and they should also count the man's little swimmers and how active they are.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are My Parents Too Controlling? / Steve Harvey's Daughter Karli Raymond's Cute Maternity Session / She Was Pregnant With Twins But This Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.