Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters (2776 Views)

Senate Seeks Probe Of $40m Loan To Aviation Industry / False Statement On Social Media: Senate Seeks For 2-Year-Jail Term For Offenders / Exposed From D ARCHIVES Of Nairaland & Sahara Reporters - Incriminating Reports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by abbakacici: 11:29am On Dec 04, 2013
The Senate has reached an advanced stage to pass a bill that seeks seven years jail term for social media critics found guilty of inciting the public against the government.
The proposed legislation which has scaled second reading in the upper legislative chamber is also proposing a stiffer punishment for internet fraudsters and scammers in Nigeria as those convicted will face a seven years imprisonment.
The joint Senate Committees on Judiciary, Human Rights and legal matters, Drugs, Narcotics and Financial Crimes led by Senator Umaru Dahiru (PDP, Sokoto), yesterday organised a one day public hearing on the bill for an act to provide for the prohibition and punishment for electronic fraud and crime in all electronic transactions in Nigeria.
Section 13 subsection 3 of the bill proposes that: “Anyone who intentionally propagates false information that could threaten the security of the country or that is capable of inciting the general public against the government through electronic message shall be guilty of an offense and upon conviction shall be sentenced to seven years imprisonment or N5 million (fine).”
Declaring open the public hearing Senate President David Mark who was represented by the deputy minority whip, Senator Abu Ibrahim (APC, Katsina), said electronic fraudsters pose great danger to the country which must be tackled to attract foreign investment.
The committee chairman Senator Umaru Dahiru (PDP, Sokoto) said electronic fraud was posing serious threat to world economies and Nigeria being a developing economy should enact appropriate laws to deal with the challenges.
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by kennypoka2(m): 11:56am On Dec 04, 2013
common y jail them..
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 04, 2013
There's no govt without its critics, why jail them if they're saying the truth? Well, I don't support citizens abusing those in power. Let's see how this turn out
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 04, 2013
Decree 4 redux. Dead on arrival.
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by talktimi(m): 12:07pm On Dec 04, 2013
Reminds me of the Russian govt, trash might be given but none will be taken grin
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 12:39pm On Dec 04, 2013
Hmmm god bless nigeria.. Read the full transcript of the bill and senate that voting in for the bill..

http://gistyinka.net/senate-committee-approved-7-years-jail-term-for-any-social-media-critics/
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by ow11(m): 1:01pm On Dec 04, 2013
Look at the two parties working together to stifle one avenue through which the citizens can put pressure on them.

Blaming scamming for lack of foreign investment cheesy Of course it has to be that because plane crashes, politician funded mass murders, govt. appointed parastatal bottleneck, grand theft of public funds, lack of public infrastructure, prohibitive tax regimes for legitimate businesses, inept police force and pardoned criminals are things that are not found in Nigeria.

Let them continue. . .The same online presence will galvanise the public to send them out of office. Maybe Mark needs to put a call through to Mubarak for advice.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by russellino: 1:11pm On Dec 04, 2013
This is a carry-over of the archaic, backward law of sedition. They don't need another law for this na. If not to make it more specific and easier to enforce
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by 1025: 1:19pm On Dec 04, 2013
hahahahahaha see senate. is this another child marriage law? hahahahahahahahaha, senate indeed. u call urselves senate and nobody told u the day fuel subsidy was removed. u call urself senate nd wike is sacking lecturers without ur consent. u call urselves senate and sure p money and other funds and properties meant for us disappear on daily basis. senators indeed. we are waiting because we are all set for the jail. what laws have u made for boko boys and those of u in the stealing of public funds business?
anyways, we will make laws for death sentence on those who steal public funds.
senators with a general as president

5 Likes

Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by Built2last: 1:27pm On Dec 04, 2013
this is the height of Joblessness...God is watching all of you On HD
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by IAMBREEZY: 1:53pm On Dec 04, 2013
Odikwa serious they really mean it.
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by sagytariusTM1: 2:01pm On Dec 04, 2013
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by sagytariusTM1: 2:07pm On Dec 04, 2013

1 Like

Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by Bacteriocin(m): 2:12pm On Dec 04, 2013
;DGod bless Nigeria
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by omenka(m): 2:15pm On Dec 04, 2013
When have laws ever been appropriately aplied in this country?? If this sees the light of day, then we can as well bid farewell to free speech in the country. This is where the oposition should make their presence in the assembly count, by blocking this clearly anti-people legislation. Whatever hapened to working on a bill that proposes very stiff punishment for corrupt public servants?? The oposition in the NASS are realy begining to piss me off!
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by SLIDEwaxie(m): 3:05pm On Dec 04, 2013
Mtcheeeewww!!!
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by AKMoney1(m): 3:08pm On Dec 04, 2013
shocked shocked I refuse to comment online again, Lips sealed and finger crossed till further notice. 7 years in jail no be beans abeg. grin

4 Likes

Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by russellino: 3:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
This would explain the massive online surveillance contract that Nigeria tried to award an israeli firm not too long ago.

Cyber policing Not cool. Even though some people yarn too much opata and troll on the internet.
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by gramci: 3:38pm On Dec 04, 2013
Good development
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by TharyeS(m): 3:41pm On Dec 04, 2013
so?
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by BabaEleko(m): 3:52pm On Dec 04, 2013
Booked
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by abubaka101: 3:54pm On Dec 04, 2013
false information leads to confusion, confusion leads to panicking, panicking leads to unrest, unrest leads govt instability, instability leads to economic problems, and whole other things.
It is a good gesture, but my concern is that it could go a long way to arrest freedom of speech..

2 Likes

Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by abubaka101: 3:57pm On Dec 04, 2013
omenka: When have laws ever been appropriately aplied in this country?? If this sees the light of day, then we can as well bid farewell to free speech in the country. This is where the oposition should make their presence in the assembly count, by blocking this clearly anti-people legislation. Whatever hapened to working on a bill that proposes very stiff punishment for corrupt public servants?? The oposition in the NASS are realy begining to piss me off!
Didn't u read the post, an APC boss supports it....
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by 99100(m): 4:20pm On Dec 04, 2013
Gbawe,Demdem et al take note.
This law is purposely for ur kinds. grin
E don b for una.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by Obiagu1(m): 4:22pm On Dec 04, 2013
Long overdue.
All these internet urchins will soon find a new home.
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 4:23pm On Dec 04, 2013
i really dont blame this senators. I blame nigerians who voted for them. So they mean if they do wrong nobody should criticize them? if you do, you would go to jail for 7years? indeed they've taken themselves to be god. I thank GOD i didnt vote for any senator or house of reps. member. Thank GOD for the president i voted for at least i dont regret voting for him. i didnt waste my time voting for unnecessary people
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by DerideGull(m): 4:28pm On Dec 04, 2013
@OP

The senatorial and gubernatorial positions are two unfortunate and useless departments of Nigerian democracy. Both bodies should be eliminated for Nigeria’s democracy to be meaningful.
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:30pm On Dec 04, 2013
99/100:
E don b for una.
You've just proven that laws in Nigeria are made to protect some. Why don't you include Sincere9erian, Deluded Gull, et al?
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 04, 2013
99/100:
E don b for una.
LoL... Add berem, tribaleast and dat ediot faani kayode
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by Demdem(m): 5:00pm On Dec 04, 2013
gramci: Good development

Gramdaft, are u happy now. grin cheesy
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by Demdem(m): 5:01pm On Dec 04, 2013
99/100:
E don b for una.

Goon, let's wait till Jonathan sign it nau. cheesy
Re: Senate Seeks 7yrs Jail Term For Social Media Critics Nairaland Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 04, 2013
notify me when the law is in place so can deactivate my nairaland account.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apc Is Like The Church Of Satan-pastor Tunde Bakare / OMG! You All Need To See How Ibadan Airport Look Like / Why Is The North Even With D Insurgency Collecting The Highest Pvc??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.