Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,779 members, 7,817,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? (13999 Views)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / Five Ridiculous Questions With Obvious Answers Asked In Nollywood Movies / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by CastingCrowns(f): 5:07pm On Dec 05, 2013
Ave noticed most nollywood movies dont portray the happenings in Nigeria,everyone lives in palatial mansions complete with exotic super-cars parked all around the huge garage,the meals are eaten on dining tables complete with cutleries and the latest china in town,the phonetics are non-Nigerian,the clothes worn are designer duds complete with luxury bags even a character playing a poor person drives a ferrari....Nollywood i watch their movies for the laughs....if they wanna represent us properly on the world stage its high time they make realistic movies not delusional films depicting a utopic place

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Karleb(m): 5:46pm On Dec 05, 2013
Because they knw that no matter how horrible their show or scene maybe you will still buy 'em.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 05, 2013
^^
Totally spot on! I used to wonder how every undergrad student lived in a mansion, when most of their mates in other countries live in either studios or apartments.
The Nollywood writers, like some Nigerians, feel that one has to always show off. Another example is a man that always relaxes at home in agbada, or the lady who always wears make-up 24/7 shocked
It's getting ridiculous.

14 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by tsidra(f): 5:50pm On Dec 05, 2013
Nollywood moves aren't the best in the world but seriously I think u are exagerrating. "A poor person driving a ferrari" in which movie did that happen

I think your criticism is a little toooooooo shallow

24 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by CastingCrowns(f): 5:51pm On Dec 05, 2013
Its ridiculous...u see genevieve signing a cheque of a million naira just for shopping in the movies....as if money grows on trees

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by CastingCrowns(f): 5:55pm On Dec 05, 2013
Its not a ferrari per se.....ave watched a movie where the family playing paupers were living in an ultra modern duplex...u watch nollywood movies too i guess...all these happen in their movies
tsidra: Nollywood moves aren't the best in the world but seriously I think u are exagerrating. "A poor person driving a ferrari" in which movie did that happen

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Dec 05, 2013
CastingCrowns: Its ridiculous...u see genevieve signing a cheque of a million naira just for shopping in the movies....as if money grows on trees
You no know say Genevieve na cash madam? grin
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by VillageBoi(m): 6:01pm On Dec 05, 2013
tsidra: Nollywood moves aren't the best in the world but seriously I think u are exagerrating. "A poor person driving a ferrari" in which movie did that happen

The OP isn't wrong and of course "A poor person driving a ferrari" is an exageration... did you miss the 'point' being made? Even watch that ridiculously stupid film called 'Ewedu Babe'... or is called 'Flower Girl' sef? People that can't even speak English are by force trying to show how upper-class and Americanised they are (especially those two she-goats acting as some yeye shop stylists) - That is the most stewpid thing in any Nigerian film. We are sometimes, more often that not, too ashamed to be ourselves. A lot of 'New Nollywood' completely sucks... we need to stop faking it and be real & true to ourselves.
No matter how good a storyline is fake crappy acting = rubbish film. No question about that.

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Afam4eva(m): 6:02pm On Dec 05, 2013
I've always wondered by people portrayed as villagers speak good english with a foreign accent.

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 05, 2013
Lmao @ 'Ewedu babe' grin grin
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by prof800(m): 7:46pm On Dec 05, 2013
Afam4eva: I've always wondered by people portrayed as villagers speak good english with a foreign accent.
Oh gawd!
grin grin grin grin grin
**Falls from jupiter**
cry cry

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by VillageBoi(m): 11:58pm On Dec 05, 2013
CFCfan: Lmao @ 'Ewedu babe' grin grin
For the first time in my life a film annoyed me for one full week lol. Can't lie that film pained me like mad... like 20 mins in 2 people even walked out of the cinema and 5 of us were left to suffer in silence. Hisssssss!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 06, 2013
Hypocrisy!
Shallow thinking!
and more full this thread!

Of all things to criticize in the industry, this is what you think is important?

If you want to start criticizing delusional movies (leaving behind the fact that movies are not documentaries and not necessarily meant to be 'the real situation'), Hollywood movies and all other woods will come before Nollywood!

what will you say about;
A. -A single criminal defeating a battalion of well trained soldiers like say na ice-cream dem dey drink for army their whole life. Is that the situation in real life?
-In a movie like Olympus has fallen for instance; first part of the attack in white house, the Police or whoever were practically coming out of the building to be killed. I'm sure 'the grrreaat' american police force wouldn't be so dumb in real life, would they? undecided,
-Or in all action movies where lots of people could've taken the criminal at once, but they always prefer to go one by one... to be killed ofcourse - How realistic is that?

B. -And that sh/itty british movie titled slum dog millionaire where people in the slums can speak proper english. Is that the real situation in India?
-OR another unrealistic part: the real slum little boys they used in the beginning spoke Hindi; then the India little actors (who were obviously from middle/high class family in real life) they used when the boys grew up (like 11years kinda) suddenly started to speak proper English without attending school! How real is that anywhere in the world?
-OR the who wants to be a millionaire questions that were turning out as 'fate' BS. - please save me! And the cheap questions that were being asked sef: Infact, who wants to be a millionaire in Nigeria have asked the name of 3 musketeers as a first question before, but lo and behold, that was the ultimate question in the who wants to be a millionaire in our 'slumdog'. mtcheeeew...what A load of crap!

C. Or about anywhere apart from US, UK, Australia and likes being depicted as the worst place on earth in hollywood movies. No? Lemme tell you what a typical shallow minded person thinks about these countries due to 'HOLLYWOOD'
- Russia / Russians - Terrorist Nation
- Korea - Terrorist nation
- Africa - Jungle with people and animals whining and dining together (even though me wey they live here have never seen a wild animal in my life sef). Other times, Africa is a desert with no houses.
- And probably the first movie they will shoot in India, India is already being given the first impression of a slum! And another stereotype begins!
And incase you haven't noticed, almost every bad guy in American movies always have foreign accents!

C. And 'about accents of people who arrive from abroad' that people always complain about...the fact is their accents are as shitty as the ones foreign actors speak in movies about other countries (despite the 'language coach' they get). There's no movie where actors are expected to speak like another country that the people of the country didn't complain about the accents. Even british people complain about Charlize Theron's accent in the movie 'Snow White and Huntsman). That's just how it is; unless you've lived somewhere for a while, you can never have their accent! If na to say few words, then the language coaching might be effective.

Conclusion: Delusional stuffs is not limited to Nollywood! Infact, it is mean't to happen! Why? Because it is a movie! There are are better things to discuss improvement on. It's good to point out things like this, but you need to know, it's not a reason to bash any industry!

83 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by VillageBoi(m): 3:48pm On Dec 06, 2013
speedyboi:
Shallow thinking!
Teehee... we like it sometimes wink
And your post is on point... one more 'like' for that/

speedyboi: Or about anywhere apart from US, UK, Australia and likes being depicted as the worst place on earth in hollywood movies.
The new hate in Hollywood is London... kai, how many recent Yankee films are are blowing London up to smithereens? E be like say UK no kiss a$$ somewhere lol
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Dec 06, 2013
VillageBoi:
And your post is on point... one more 'like' for that
Thanks smiley

Villageboi: The new hate in Hollywood is London... kai, how many recent Yankee films are are blowing London up to smithereens? E be like say UK no kiss a$$ somewhere lol
Lol...I've not noticed it YET anyway!
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by VillageBoi(m): 6:57pm On Dec 06, 2013
speedyboi:
Lol...I've not noticed it YET anyway!

Thor The Dark World
Star trek Into Darkness
GI Joe Retaliation

It's a trend that I think will only 'hot up' wink
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by vickyO(f): 12:12am On Dec 08, 2013
speedyboi: Hypocrisy!
Shallow thinking!
and more full this thread!

Of all things to criticize in the industry, this is what you think is important?

If you want to start criticizing delusional movies (leaving behind the fact that movies are not documentaries and not necessarily meant to be 'the real situation'), Hollywood movies and all other woods will come before Nollywood!

what will you say about;
A. -A single criminal defeating a battalion of well trained soldiers like say na ice-cream dem dey drink for army their whole life. Is that the situation in real life?
-In a movie like Olympus has fallen for instance; first part of the attack in white house, the Police or whoever were practically coming out of the building to be killed. I'm sure 'the grrreaat' american police force wouldn't be so dumb in real life, would they? undecided,
-Or in all action movies where lots of people could've taken the criminal at once, but they always prefer to go one by one... to be killed ofcourse - How realistic is that?

B. -And that sh/itty british movie titled slum dog millionaire where people in the slums can speak proper english. Is that the real situation in India?
-OR another unrealistic part: the real slum little boys they used in the beginning spoke Hindi; then the India little actors (who were obviously from middle/high class family in real life) they used when the boys grew up (like 11years kinda) suddenly started to speak proper English without attending school! How real is that anywhere in the world?
-OR the who wants to be a millionaire questions that were turning out as 'fate' BS. - please save me! And the cheap questions that were being asked sef: Infact, who wants to be a millionaire in Nigeria have asked the name of 3 musketeers as a first question before, but lo and behold, that was the ultimate question in the who wants to be a millionaire in our 'slumdog'. mtcheeeew...what A load of crap!

C. Or about anywhere apart from US, UK, Australia and likes being depicted as the worst place on earth in hollywood movies. No? Lemme tell you what a typical shallow minded person thinks about these countries due to 'HOLLYWOOD'
- Russia / Russians - Terrorist Nation
- Korea - Terrorist nation
- Africa - Jungle with people and animals whining and dining together (even though me wey they live here have never seen a wild animal in my life sef). Other times, Africa is a desert with no houses.
- And probably the first movie they will shoot in India, India is already being given the first impression of a slum! And another stereotype begins!
And incase you haven't noticed, almost every bad guy in American movies always have foreign accents!

C. And 'about accents of people who arrive from abroad' that people always complain about...the fact is their accents are as shitty as the ones foreign actors speak in movies about other countries (despite the 'language coach' they get). There's no movie where actors are expected to speak like another country that the people of the country didn't complain about the accents. Even british people complain about Charlize Theron's accent in the movie 'Snow White and Huntsman). That's just how it is; unless you've lived somewhere for a while, you can never have their accent! If na to say few words, then the language coaching might be effective.

Conclusion: Delusional stuffs is not limited to Nollywood! Infact, it is mean't to happen! Why? Because it is a movie! There are are better things to discuss improvement on. It's good to point out things like this, but you need to know, it's not a reason to bash any industry!
Your post notifies anger.
You are quite correct but I don't think that's what the OP is talking about.
Our foreign counter parts are able to make the movies look real even if not perfectly but to a large extent.
But here in Nigeria, they barley appear real talk more of being close to perfect.
The only movie I can single out in Nigeria, that was beautifully done is MR and MRS. Ije is not too good.
Nollywood needs to work on their scripts and performance cause majority of them make junks.
Let's be truthful.

How can you compare Hollywood to Nollywood?
Come on. The diff is clear.

15 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 1:42am On Dec 08, 2013
^^^^^

That's why I said people should start criticising with sense! You don't just open your mouth and close it cos you wan join the caucus of gutter critics.

And I don't get angry smiley. Or is being blunt your definition of anger?

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 08, 2013
This post has been hidden..
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by grandstar(m): 11:40am On Dec 08, 2013
Or a very rich man having only 1 child and its a grown up daughter and his contented with it.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Ruq: 11:41am On Dec 08, 2013
It has always been like dat. so there's no point discussing delusions
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 08, 2013
Op ,pay money and go to the cinema and watch real nolly wood movies,watch phone swap,adesuwa your criticism will stop

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 08, 2013
Ok
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by 01mcfadden(m): 11:51am On Dec 08, 2013
Nollywood movies?
I'm sorry,i dnt watch them anymore.
No suspense at all,with the first scene,how the movie is going to end will be obvious to you!
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by NoContract(m): 11:53am On Dec 08, 2013
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by mrphysics(m): 11:54am On Dec 08, 2013
no time for Nigerian film or Nollywood. MARA CLARA THE BEST DNT HAVE WOOD ATTACHED TO IT
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by vincvin(m): 11:56am On Dec 08, 2013
Speedboi has said it all.nollywood is doing its best to show the world the positive side of africa.it's trying to create a good image for Nigeria.to re-write the wrongs of some nigerians .OP have you been watching the new generation movies lately?or are you still watching the mr ibu and co movies? These new generation producers,as they call themselves, are doing well.great acting,amazing picture quality etc.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 08, 2013
Maybe the producer wants people to look at the message passed,and not the medium.

Do people still watch Nollywood films?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by vincvin(m): 11:59am On Dec 08, 2013
Buoyantic: Op ,pay money and go to the cinema and watch real nolly wood movies,watch phone swap,adesuwa your criticism will stop
thank you most Nigerians are still watching mr ibu.they don't know about the new generation movies

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 08, 2013
yea they really need to do something about it.imagine royal families going to bed with all those their heavy costumes and heavy makeup.then going to market or shopping with same heavy costumes, maids and guards .I have never in my life seen something like that unless there is an occassion.its even someone will point and tell you 'hey that guy is a prince' .

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Dannylux: 12:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
I don't expect much from them.. low budget, short time casting, more quantity - lesser quality. It's all about the damn money.

You gotta give the public what they will pay for. Those who patronize them don't seem to be bothered with the delusions.. so why would they change?

Most of us who have been actively watching Hollywood movies, sci-fi can hardly be impressed with what we see in Nollywood. Even when they do It's just for the comedy.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by bigx(m): 12:16pm On Dec 08, 2013
I watch them when I need to reduce my IQ

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBNaija: “I Am Here For The Money” – Tobi To Alex / Ebubu Evicted From The Big Brother Titans House / BLINK - Best Nigerian Short Film Ever?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.