Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians (2209 Views)

Buhari Addresses Biafra Issue In A New Interview / Full Speech: Buhari Addresses The 70th UN Assembly (Photos) / Jega Addresses Nigerians On AIT/ChannelsTV Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Tochi93: 8:22am On Dec 06, 2013
An important political figure in Nigeria, Major General (rtd.) in the Nigerian Army, a former military ruler of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari (b. December 17, 1942) has just published some of his thoughts via Facebook page. You can read the full text of his statement below.

muhammadu_buhari Our political detractors cannot stand our commitment and devotion towards good governance and social justice. That is why they keep shifting the topic of discussion between us. When we talk about corruption and bad governance that characterize their politics, they bring up sentiments and emotions to keep Nigerians busy fighting each other while they wantonly plunder our commonwealth.

No matter how they try, we shall never give in to their distractions! We shall never allow them to dictate the topic of national discuss! We shall continue to tell the truth about them, and discredit the lies they fabricated against us.

We shall reciprocate their bigotry with love, their division with unity, incitement with perseverance, ignorance with patience. In the end, it is not just our words against theirs that matter; it is the indefatigable will of free Nigerian men and women yearning for justice and social equity. God bless Nigeria!

Do you agree with his ideas? What do you think of Gen. Buhari?

1 Like

Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Nobody: 8:32am On Dec 06, 2013
Tell dz ediot to STFU, that's what he said when he overthrew a civilian govt for no reason.
What I hv for him is that the same way he overthrew an elected govt and also has been fueling the deaths of ppl for years, that's how the day he enters into Aso rock, he wud be d 1st Nigerian civilian president in this 21st century that wud be overthrown by d military, for no reason also.
WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

1 Like

Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Ngwakwe: 8:40am On Dec 06, 2013
Some of his previous and present utterances betray this speech.

Which one do we believe? Time will tell.

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by DahomeyAmazon(f): 8:53am On Dec 06, 2013
lygn19: Tell dz ediot to STFU, that's what he said when he overthrew a civilian govt for no reason.
What I hv for him is that the same way he overthrew an elected govt and also has been fueling the deaths of ppl for years, that's how the day he enters into Aso rock, he wud be d 1st Nigerian civilian president in this 21st century that wud be overthrown by d military, for no reason also.
Bloody lair, which government did Buhari overthrow? Post evidence and link or you GO and DIE

5 Likes

Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 06, 2013
Dahomey Amazon:
Bloody lair, which government did Buhari overthrow? Post evidence and link or you GO and DIE
Is either u re plain stup'id or an ediot, for u no to knw dat Buhari staged a coup once.

7 Likes

Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Swiftlee(m): 9:12am On Dec 06, 2013
Dahomey Amazon:
See this one!!! Buhari overthrew Shehu Shagari on December 31, 1983.. What more evidences do you want at this age?? You will find it here www.giyf.com

4 Likes

Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Omen100(m): 9:13am On Dec 06, 2013
lygn19:
Is either u re plain stup'id or an ediot, for u no to knw dat Buhari staged a coup once.

I think, you really need to "GO & DIE"
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Nobody: 9:14am On Dec 06, 2013
lygn19: Tell dz ediot to STFU, that's what he said when he overthrew a civilian govt for no reason.
Go learn ur history.
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Nobody: 9:33am On Dec 06, 2013
Omen100:

I think, you really need to "GO & DIE"
K.
I hope that when I start thinking of that, u ppl won't come and start begging me with 2million naira and appointment letter o.

4 Likes

Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by DahomeyAmazon(f): 9:36am On Dec 06, 2013
lygn19:
Fool, post a link about the coup and who staged it or GO and DIE

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by donphilopus: 9:37am On Dec 06, 2013
And these are the same people that would be crying if we tell what he's telling to Buhari to Retardeen!
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by DahomeyAmazon(f): 9:38am On Dec 06, 2013
Swiftlee:
See this one!!! Buhari overthrew Shehu Shagari on December 31, 1983.. What more evidences do you want at this age?? You will find it here www.giyf.com
Is what your history books say? or you are quoting from your village town hall gossips. Post details of the coup na
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by DahomeyAmazon(f): 9:39am On Dec 06, 2013
kingoflag: Go learn ur history.
You dey mind these ignorant kids
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 06, 2013
donphilopus: And these are the same people that would be crying if we tell what he's telling to Buhari to Retardeen!
Do I look like I f*ucking care?
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Nobody: 9:53am On Dec 06, 2013
I am not here to argue with kids dat saved to buy MB bundle,
Just as sm ppl frustrated GEJ's tenure as president that's how we re gonna frustrate him if he ventures into aso rock,
Instead of one region to gain at the detriment of another, instead everybody wud loose, I hope he starts planting groundnut in the north.
Let Buhari become president, d same president that after he overthrew shehu shagari, he put him on house arrest, while his vice that doesn't have much power as the president got thrown into prison just because he is from the east.
The same Buhari that during is tenure as military leader, built so many roads in the north, but didn't build ONE single one in the east nor the place the money is coming from(NIGER DELTA).
Let's wait now enter ASO rock 1st and u go know.

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Swiftlee(m): 9:59am On Dec 06, 2013
Dahomey Amazon:
Is what your history books say? or you are quoting from your village town hall gossips. Post details of the coup na
You seat down let me do the work for you!! After showing you the way!!
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by donphilopus: 10:01am On Dec 06, 2013
lygn19:
Do I look like I f*ucking care?
If the time comes, you would care!
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by DahomeyAmazon(f): 10:04am On Dec 06, 2013
lygn19: I am not here to argue with kids dat saved to buy MB bundle,
Just as sm ppl frustrated GEJ's tenure as president that's how we re gonna frustrate him if he ventures into aso rock,
Instead of one region to gain at the detriment of another, instead everybody wud loose, I hope he starts planting groundnut in the north.
Let Buhari become president, d same president that after he overthrew shehu shagari, he put him on house arrest, while his vice that doesn't have much power as the president got thrown into prison just because he is from the east.
The same Buhari that during is tenure as military leader, built so many roads in the north, but didn't build ONE single one in the east nor the place the money is coming from(NIGER DELTA).
Let's wait now enter ASO rock 1st and u go know.
Post a of your claim and stop ranting
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Swiftlee(m): 10:08am On Dec 06, 2013
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Ngwakwe: 10:15am On Dec 06, 2013
Dahomey Amazon:
Post a of your claim and stop ranting

** Buhari, As Head Of State, Looted The National Treasury And "He Is Still Extremely Rich"- Tanko Yakasai

Tanko Yakasai was the adviser to President Shehu Shagari (1979-1983) on National Assembly matters.
A prominent politician and elder statesman from Kano, Mr. Yakasai has been in politics since 1946 when he was just 20 years old. Since venturing into politics over 60 years ago, Mr. Yakasai has never been quiet and has never failed to speak up on any crucial political issue.

The octogenarian sought out leading Hausa newspaper,RARIYA, after reading the interview (also published by PREMIUM TIMES) .

To read the complete interview:
www.nairaland.com/1528032/buhari-actively-involved-1983-coup
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Ngwakwe: 10:23am On Dec 06, 2013
How Buhari was involved

And since his assumption of power by Shagari, there were several attempts to topple him until they eventually succeeded. It was revealed in that book that the military had attempted to stage a coup even before the second election in 1983. They sought the advice of one of their senior officer who had retired, he told them he supported the idea of a coup, but if they did it before the election, Awolowo would say it was because he was billed to win the election, and the Yoruba owns the newspapers and most editors at the time were also Yoruba and so they would give it widespread publicity such that the world would reject the coup.

He advised them to let the election take place first, before they do whatever they want to do.

There was also a revelation in the book that General Domkat Bali’s wife thought her husband was having an affair when she noticed that he always came home late, unlike him. When her suspicion became too much, one day he told her that he was not having an affair, but he was always coming back late because they were meeting in Buhari’s house to stage a coup. Buhari was the GOC in Jos at the time, and he told her not to tell anyone.

Incidentally, Domkat Bali’s wife is related to the wife of Solomon Lar, the then Governor of Plateau State. She realised that a coup would affect her relatives’ husband, and she could not take it, because she feared he could be killed. So, she told Lar’s wife, and Lar’s wife also told her husband.

It happened that Shagari was going to open the school in Kuru. Solomon told Shagari that he had something to tell him, but Shagari advised him to wait until after the event.

After the event, Solomon Lar told Shagari what he was told at the Presidential lodge in Jos, he mentioned Domkat Bali’s wife as the source of the information. Lar said he had wanted to bring up the issue at the meeting of the National Security Committee, but when he realised that he is not the Commander in Chief, he thought it best to wait, since Shagari is also coming to Jos.

Shagari now informed Solomon Lar to go and tell Buhari that this is what he heard, that he was planning a coup. But Lar said I can only do that if you let me inform him that the message came from you. Shagari agreed to that.

So when they met with Buhari while they were seeing off President Shagari, Solomon Lar excused Buhari aside and said he wanted to see him, and would come see him at home. But Buhari said how can you a governor come to my house? Lar insisted that he would go. So he went to Buhari’s house and informed him that it was Shagari that sent him to let him know that there was a rumour going round that they were planning a coup.

Buhari said it was not true, there was nothing like that. He asked Lar to go and assure Shagari that it was not true.

After Lar left, Buhari called Umaru Shinkafi because they were friends and asked him to meet as soon as possible in Kaduna. Umaru Shinkafi informed Shagari and he was given an aircraft to take him to Kaduna. When they met, Buhari told Shinkafi that he was going to retire since the Commander in Chief does not trust him anymore. There was a time, the military authorities wanted Buhari transferred to Abeokuta but people like Umaru Dikko kicked against it because they said bringing someone like Buhari closed to the seat of power is dangerous. That was why Shagari asked that Buhari be transferred to Jos.

He was very angry with that decision because he felt, he was not trusted. So the second incident made him tell Shinkafi that he was going to retire, since no one trusted him anymore. Shinkafi, in his capacity as the Security Adviser to Shagari, informed Buhari that he knew the president trusted Buhari, so he should not think of retiring. He went back and informed Shagari that Buhari said he should not worry; there was no cause for alarm.

That was what prompted Buhari’s group; they realised that the issue had begun to leak, so they had to strike early. But even before this incident, they had also planned to topple the government on the day Shagari was sworn-in for his second term.

In fact Umaru Shinkafi even though did not come out to tell the president that he suspects something was wrong, advised the president to wear a bullet proof vest on his way to the inauguration. Shagari asked him why? I will not wear it. It got to a point Umaru Shinkafi was even shedding tears before Shagari agreed to wear it. In the book, they quoted Babangida as saying they were aware of all this, but Shagari’s people did not know that plans had changed

Before then, all plans had been perfected and a plane had even been dispatched to Jos to fetch Buhari with instruction to wear his full military regalia, and text of his national speech was already given to him for his inputs before 1st October, 1983. Why they changed their minds, no one knows.

This means that they had planned the coup even before the one Solomon Lar got wind of and informed Shagari. So you see it was never about denying Alex Ekwueme the chance to become president. May be he made his statements out of ignorance or just pure hatred for the north.

(The interview was granted in Hausa to Rariya newspaper and PREMIUM TIMES has the former’s permission to publish in English)

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/150148-exclusive-why-dying-yaradua-was-sneaked-into-nigeria-without-jonathans-knowledge-tanko-yakasai.html
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by DahomeyAmazon(f): 10:23am On Dec 06, 2013
Swiftlee:
You seat down let me do the work for you!! After showing you the way!!
Patiently waiting for how Buhari staged the coup
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by oluwashaddow(m): 10:24am On Dec 06, 2013
U shouldn't have been d first to comment,u really need to free urself from mental slavery,u can get a book of history n knw those who truly hates u n don't get brainwashed cos u won't be different from dos boko boys who are been fooled into fighting a wrong cause wen dey can get asses to a quran to knw wat is right n wrong...... pls try to read books n listen to wat people who have been around for a while can tell u about issues like dis
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Swiftlee(m): 10:29am On Dec 06, 2013
Dahomey Amazon:
Patiently waiting for how Buhari staged the coup
Hello Kids..since you are too lazy to do the work your selves let me help you out. First and foremost you know nothing about military coup and its strategies!! Just as you are being dribbled by you today political gods to oppose and disorganise the government's efforts! Having said that, let me clearly inform you that there is a great distinction when you juxtapose Coup staging/Execution and Coup planning. The December 31, 1983 coup was staged by Brigadier Bako! I think that is the basis of your arguement kids grin grin #Military strategy# let me shock you again, Gen. Obasanjo has never staged a coup, but has been a planner of a coup just like Buhari..#You sentimental brians wont let you see this# Now lets go back to the former.. After Bako who staged the coup was killed, A Colonel
pulled out his pistol and threatened the
coup plotters that if Gen. Buhari was not
made the new Head of State, none of them
gathered at the meeting would come out
alive, cos buhari was the most senior among them then.#Just think about that, i dont need to spill everything out, you that thing at your disposal#
Let me stop here.. But know this! Buhari can never be Nigeria's President! Babangida discovered this earlier and dicleared that he is not a politician even Abdulsalam;though was not involved in coup..Obasanjo won because Nigerians where still not healed of thier cuts from the military then#1999.

1 Like

Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by DahomeyAmazon(f): 10:31am On Dec 06, 2013
So when they met with Buhari while they were
seeing off President Shagari, Solomon Lar
excused Buhari aside and said he wanted to see
him, and would come see him at home. But Buhari
said how can you a governor come to my house?
Lar insisted that he would go. So he went to
Buhari’s house and informed him that it was
Shagari that sent him to let him know that there
was a rumour going round that they were planning
a coup.
Buhari said it was not true, there was nothing like
that. He asked Lar to go and assure Shagari
that it was not true.
After Lar left, Buhari called Umaru Shinkafi
because they were friends and asked him to meet
as soon as possible in Kaduna. Umaru Shinkafi
informed Shagari and he was given an aircraft to
take him to Kaduna. When they met, Buhari told
Shinkafi that he was going to retire since the
Commander in Chief does not trust him anymore.

You story proves nothing, post me an official link not someone's story or gossip
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by DahomeyAmazon(f): 10:38am On Dec 06, 2013
Swiftlee:
Hello Kids..since you are too lazy to do the work your selves let me help you out. First and foremost you know nothing about military coup and its strategies!! Just as you are being dribbled by you today political gods to oppose and disorganise the government's efforts! Having said that, let me clearly inform you that there is a great distinction when you juxtapose Coup staging/Execution and Coup planning. The December 31, 1983 coup was staged by Brigadier Bako! I think that is the basis of your arguement kids grin grin #Military strategy# let me shock you again, Gen. Obasanjo has never staged a coup, but has been a planner of a coup just like Buhari..#You sentimental brians wont let you see this# Now lets go back to the former.. After Bako who staged the coup was killed, A Colonel
alive, cos buhari was the most senior among them then
.#Just think about that, i dont need to spill everything out, you that thing at your disposal#
Let me stop here.. But know this! Buhari can never be Nigeria's President!
@ bolded if Buhari staged the coup why did the colonel have to pull his pistol? You mean they didn't agree who should lead the government before hand

Why was Buhari not present in the said meeting?

You can do better
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by DahomeyAmazon(f): 10:39am On Dec 06, 2013
Swiftlee:
alive, cos buhari was the most senior among them then
.#Just think about that, i dont need to spill everything out, you that thing at your disposal#
Let me stop here.. But know this! Buhari can never be Nigeria's President!
@ bolded if Buhari staged the coup why did the colonel have to pull his pistol? You mean they didn't agree who should lead the government before hand

You can do better
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by DahomeyAmazon(f): 10:52am On Dec 06, 2013
The brain behind that coup was late Brigadier Bako
who was killed by Alhaji Shehu Shagari’s Presidential
Guard in Abuja. If he had survived, Brigadier Bako
would probably have emerged Head of State. Others
who joined in the coup were the late General Mamman
Jiya Vasta, late Brigadier Sani Abacha, General
Muhammed Magoro in that order. General Buhari
became Head of State because he was the most senior
military officer at that time. He came in as a
compromised candidate to replace Brigadier Bako, the
mastermind and architect of the coup. Even then, there
was so much rancor and bitterness at the meeting
called to deliberate on Brigadier Bako’s replacement.
When Gen. Sani Abacha, then a Brigadier and
General Officer Commanding (G.O.C) Mechanized
Brigade, Ibadan read his coup text at 5:00am on
December 31, 1983; an unidentified voice came on air at
12noon or thereabout that day to announce to Nigerians
that the new Head of State would address the nation at
nine o’clock that evening,. The voice was that of Major-
General (then Brigadier) Tunde Idiagbon. During this
period, no person had been chosen as Head of State.
The putschists were undecided on who should step into
late Bako’s shoes. While a faction favored Gen.
Buhari, the other faction opposed him and the whole
place became so charged that at a mild drama took
place. A Colonel pulled out his pistol and threatened the
coup plotters that if Gen. Buhari was not made the new
Head of State, none of them gathered at the meeting
would come out alive. He was even more livid when a
Brigadier mentioned the name of Major-General Ibrahim
Babangida as the new Head of State. That Colonel
was Col. Mustapha Jokolo, who later became Buhari’s
aide-de-camp and now the Emir of Gwandu after the
death of his father, later Alhaji Rasheed Jokolo. A
plane was then dispatched to Jos, Plateau State to
fetch Gen. Buhari and he was made Head of State.
He could not address the nation at nine a previously
announced so a statement was hurriedly put together
for him to address his fellow country men and women at
10:00pm that day. Thus began the Muhammad Buhari-
Tunde Idiagbon military regime.

www.pointblanknews.com/authbioofabiola8.html

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by Swiftlee(m): 10:55am On Dec 06, 2013
Dahomey Amazon:

You can do better
I think i have done enough to convince you. I mean, why wont you ask yourselve since you claim to know about the military era. Why would a soldier fight for another soldier to take a vacant position after the stager is killed? My dear In 1975, a group of Colonels sacked the
government of General Yakubu Gowon in a
bloodless coup. It may interest you to know that, it was General Murtala Muhammed
who masterminded this coup. In this coup,
no live were lost. General Murtala
Muhammed assumed power in July 1975. See my dear, in the military. Except you are extraordinary, you dare not take the position of you senior! A juniur stage, a senior takes over..thats the way it is...You dont expect Buhari to be in the meeting, when he knows they cant try shit! He already knows the outcome, the worst is they kill themselves, he still takes over..
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by solomon111(m): 11:01am On Dec 06, 2013
Whenever i hear this guy speak,terrorism, fundamentalism and tyranny comes to mind.
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by DahomeyAmazon(f): 11:11am On Dec 06, 2013
Swiftlee:
I think i have done enough to convince you. I mean, why wont you ask yourselve since you claim to know about the military era. Why would a soldier fight for another soldier to take a vacant position after the stager is killed? My dear In 1975, a group of Colonels sacked the
government of General Yakubu Gowon in a
bloodless coup. It may interest you to know that, it was General Murtala Muhammed
who masterminded this coup. In this coup,
no live were lost. General Murtala
Muhammed assumed power in July 1975. See my dear, in the military. Except you are extraordinary, you dare not take the position of you senior! A juniur stage, a senior takes over..thats the way it is...You dont expect Buhari to be in the meeting, when he knows they cant try shit! He already knows the outcome, the worst is they kill themselves, he still takes over..
When Babangida sacked Buhari was he the most senior officer ? All you have posted is just assumptions, i have posted what the history books says.
Re: Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Addresses Nigerians by oluwashaddow(m): 11:20am On Dec 06, 2013
Dahomey Amazon: The brain behind that coup was late Brigadier Bako
who was killed by Alhaji Shehu Shagari’s Presidential
Guard in Abuja. If he had survived, Brigadier Bako
would probably have emerged Head of State. Others
who joined in the coup were the late General Mamman
Jiya Vasta, late Brigadier Sani Abacha, General
Muhammed Magoro in that order. General Buhari
became Head of State because he was the most senior
military officer at that time. He came in as a
compromised candidate to replace Brigadier Bako, the
mastermind and architect of the coup. Even then, there
was so much rancor and bitterness at the meeting
called to deliberate on Brigadier Bako’s replacement.
When Gen. Sani Abacha, then a Brigadier and
General Officer Commanding (G.O.C) Mechanized
Brigade, Ibadan read his coup text at 5:00am on
December 31, 1983; an unidentified voice came on air at
12noon or thereabout that day to announce to Nigerians
that the new Head of State would address the nation at
nine o’clock that evening,. The voice was that of Major-
General (then Brigadier) Tunde Idiagbon. During this
period, no person had been chosen as Head of State.
The putschists were undecided on who should step into
late Bako’s shoes. While a faction favored Gen.
Buhari, the other faction opposed him and the whole
place became so charged that at a mild drama took
place. A Colonel pulled out his pistol and threatened the
coup plotters that if Gen. Buhari was not made the new
Head of State, none of them gathered at the meeting
would come out alive. He was even more livid when a
Brigadier mentioned the name of Major-General Ibrahim
Babangida as the new Head of State. That Colonel
was Col. Mustapha Jokolo, who later became Buhari’s
aide-de-camp and now the Emir of Gwandu after the
death of his father, later Alhaji Rasheed Jokolo. A
plane was then dispatched to Jos, Plateau State to
fetch Gen. Buhari and he was made Head of State.
He could not address the nation at nine a previously
announced so a statement was hurriedly put together
for him to address his fellow country men and women at
10:00pm that day. Thus began the Muhammad Buhari-
Tunde Idiagbon military regime.

www.pointblanknews.com/authbioofabiola8.html
Are u a student of history or pol-science?........ u are very well on point, will love to knw u

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Would South West Support Buhari A Brilliant Man With F9 In Maths / ALERT: Attempt To Pervert Female Candidate’s Victory In Taraba Gubernatorial / SE/SS Will Support Buhari If...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.