Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,182 members, 7,849,668 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:31 AM

Where Does Your Tithe Go To - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Does Your Tithe Go To (4063 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Noneroone(m): 7:32pm On Dec 08, 2013
trustman:

Malachi 3:10 was addressing people in the nation Israel.
The Church is not a physical national entity.
Any significant thing required of the Christian will be found in the New Testament epistles which constitute the blueprint for living the Christian life.
I can understand the ease with which some christians deliberately mis- interprete the bible to remove those portions whose content they consider impracticable. Even if we assume it was directed to the nation of Israel, are we christians not part of God's people? " If you belong to Christ then you are the descendant of Abraham and will recieve what God has promised"(Gal. 3:29)

1 Like

Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by PastorKun(m): 7:32pm On Dec 08, 2013
Pastor Kun:

And while he is at it he should also explain to us why it is required or necessary for a christian to tithe by faith.

And also why even if they choose to "tithe by faith" they are not choosing to follow God's instruction to tithe of agricultural produce but twist it to mean monetary tithe from income.

1 Like

Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Goshen360(m): 7:41pm On Dec 08, 2013
Bidam: Nicodemus was a pharisee, i hope you know that if you are like nicodemus then Mathew 23:23 automatically applies to you. .Did Jesus tells you to tithe? Yes or no. Jesus is not here physically to tell you goshen, you must be born again.So how did become born again? Is it by Faith? or did you enter your mother's womb? cheesy

I have always said you need English class as you study scripture and this has always been your problem. If I say I asked question "like" someone, does it make me that exact person?

You said we should tithe by Faith and I'm asking how and what it means ...plus bible reference of those who tithe by faith.
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 08, 2013
Noneroone: I can understand the ease with which some christians deliberately mis- interprete the bible to remove those portions whose content they consider impracticable. Even if we assume it was directed to the nation of Israel, are we christians not part of God's people? " If you belong to Christ then you are the descendant of Abraham and will recieve what God has promised"(Gal. 3:29)
Yeah.. you are right bro..FUNNY this folks embrace a Jewish God yet discard his practices,covenants,principles,values,revelation, lifestyles and kingdom dynamics THAT ARE CLEARLY WRITTEN IN SCRIPTURE. Folks that have lost connection with the Head talk the way they do.
May God help us.
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 08, 2013
Pastor Kun:

And also why even if they choose to "tithe by faith" they are not choosing to follow God's instruction to tithe of agricultural produce but twist it to mean monetary tithe from income.

^^^^

But we still have agricultural produce today , how come We have never heard Pastors requesting that their members tithe yams, goats, sheep etc.

I mean , if the instructions were clear from the beginning , are the tithe pimps preachers not disobeying scripture by asking for money instead of farm produce ?

Further, there is a reason why people were asked to tithe farm products , purely because it was used for the feeding of the priests, levites, widows, poor etc etc.

So the question we should really be asking tithe adherents is this ; are agricultural products now defunct that we have to replace them with money ? And even if their excuse is that people these days earn money from other professions ( forgetting that in the old testament, people with other occupations other than farming did not tithe ) , then let them do it according to scripture, i.e at the end of every month , use your tithe money to buy chickens, goats , sheep, yams etc and drop it at the church.

Lets go back to the 'old time religion ' of tithing crops and livestock.

Note : God did not say bring the tithes that there may be MONEY in my house , rather he said that there may be FOOD in my house.
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Goshen360(m): 7:47pm On Dec 08, 2013
Noneroone:

If you belong to Christ then you are the descendant of Abraham and will recieve what God has promised"(Gal. 3:29)

What was it that was promised that we are to receive?

2. To receive what was promised, does it have to come by tithe or tithing?
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Joshthefirst(m): 7:48pm On Dec 08, 2013
plappville:

Why giving to someone that is already rich?
rich how? My pastor has a need, we give him. We pay his salary. Don't mind foolish men who go around hounding me on every thread.

And don't rely on appearances, rely on the holy spirit.

The pastor has no other source of livelihood(my pastor) except the church. A workman is worthy of his wages.
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Polio: 7:49pm On Dec 08, 2013
Spot on!
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 08, 2013
Joshthefirst: rich how? My pastor has a need, we give him. We pay his salary. Don't mind foolish men who go around hounding me on every thread.

And don't rely on appearances, rely on the holy spirit.

The pastor has no other source of livelihood(my pastor) except the church. A workman is worthy of his wages.

Your pastor has a need but so do the poor, the desperate, the orphans, the widows etc etc.

And by the way your Pastor should stop being lazy and get a JOB. angry

1 Like

Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 7:55pm On Dec 08, 2013
Goshen360:

I have always said you need English class as you study scripture and this has always been your problem. If I say I asked question "like" someone, does it make me that exact person?

You said we should tithe by Faith and I'm asking how and what it means ...plus bible reference of those who tithe by faith.
Ok lemme help you since you are hard in hearing. FAITH IS AS NATURAL AS AIR. It is the very Nature and fundamental of our christian walk.Everything in the Kingdom operates by Faith that includes prayers,fasting,tithing,giving alms,doing business with people etc..etc...

The bible records we walk by Faith not by sight.The bible records we are in the world but not of the world. The executive Governor of the Kingdom we are in is the PERSON OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.Without him we can do nothing for in Him we move,live and have our being. The kingdom of God is not in observations.So if you feel your walk with God is by sight and human senses do go ahead and humour us.
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by christemmbassey(m): 8:20pm On Dec 08, 2013
Bidam: Nicodemus was a pharisee, i hope you know that if you are like nicodemus then Mathew 23:23 automatically applies to you. .Did Jesus tells you to tithe? Yes or no. Jesus is not here physically to tell you goshen, you must be born again.So how did become born again? Is it by Faith? or did you enter your mother's womb? cheesy
so if Goshen is nt Nicodemius, Jesus was nt talking to him in Matt23:23? You sef ya life!
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 8:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
christemmbassey: so if Goshen is nt Nicodemius, Jesus was nt talking to him in Matt23:23? You sef ya life!
Is Jesus talking to you in John 3:5 and Mathew 23:23?

Ebi lyk say you don well,shey you don recover from the injury wey i inflict on you abi? You don dey quote me now.Welldone. grin
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Noneroone(m): 8:30pm On Dec 08, 2013
Goshen360:

What was it that was promised that we are to receive?

2. To receive what was promised, does it have to come by tithe or tithing?
Tithing is an injunction from God to his Children. We christians are children of God through Christ. Therefore the command is also for us Christians. Must we pay tithe to recieve the promise? To me it is a major condition because it can also be used to quantify our faith "my friends what good is it for one of you to say that you have faith if your actions do not prove it? Can that faith save you?...if it is alone and includes no actions then it is dead" (James 2:14-17)

1 Like

Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by christemmbassey(m): 8:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
Bidam: Is Jesus talking to you in John 3:5 and Mathew 23:23?

Ebi lyk say you don well,shey you don recover from the injury wey i inflict on you abi? You don dey quote me now.Welldone. grin
u? They never born u, as long as u continue to insist on this FRAUD CALLED 'TITHE' THERE SHALL BE NO HIDING PLACE ON NL for u,. Bidam, repent.

2 Likes

Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Joshthefirst(m): 8:51pm On Dec 08, 2013
frosbel:

Your pastor has a need but so do the poor, the desperate, the orphans, the widows etc etc.

And by the way your Pastor should stop being lazy and get a JOB. angry
did I say we neglect widows and orphans?

My pastor will not get a job and be distracted from his pastoring work.
When we pay our tithes, and also give as the spirit leads, money is available for the church and our mission work and also for the pastor and his needs. We train orphans and help the needy.

But why should my pastor not drive a good car? Or wear a new suit? Why should he not look good?

It seems you have that mentality that pastor must suffer materially and financially because you're stingy and don't want to provide for him. Just because he is called of God does not mean God will not use us to supply his need. Do you even give for missions?

We can keep our pastors and. The needy too. You indirectly advocate poverty amont the clergy and stinginess because of your excesses sir. Please stop.

1 Like

Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by trustman: 9:17pm On Dec 08, 2013
Noneroone: I can understand the ease with which some christians deliberately mis- interprete the bible to remove those portions whose content they consider impracticable. Even if we assume it was directed to the nation of Israel, are we christians not part of God's people? " If you belong to Christ then you are the descendant of Abraham and will recieve what God has promised"(Gal. 3:29)

Are you saying that the spiritual life for the Jew,for Israel, is the same as for the Church?
If so how?
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 9:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
christemmbassey: u? They never born u, as long as u continue to insist on this FRAUD CALLED 'TITHE' THERE SHALL BE NO HIDING PLACE ON NL for u,. Bidam, repent.
You see your life? In a bid to discredit God's tithe, you are following a false teacher called frosbel who does not believe in the deity of Christ anyway. Can you show me from scripture where God's tithe is called a fraud?
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 10:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
Bidam: You see your life? In a bid to discredit God's tithe, you are following a false teacher called frosbel who does not believe in the deity of Christ anyway. Can you show me from scripture where God's tithe is called a fraud?

Bro, you are the one that is following a myth. Just because 90% of Christendom believe in a concept does not make it right, in fact the converse is the case in reality, the majority follow the lie or myth and the minority follow the truth.

"They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths." - 2 Timothy 4:4

My Bible says that Jesus is the Son of God , the Messiah, the Christ - Nothing more and nothing less.

But your myth says that he is half MAN and half GOD , when it has been clearly stated that God is a spirit and not a MAN.

You need enlightenment on this matter because it seems you are still clutching unto the fables of tradition. This is how you earlier stated in another article and by implication , that the resurrection was a mere formality because the dead in Christ were already with Jesus , even though the bible rebuffs this lie. Jesus clearly said his saints will be with him when he comes back , i.e at the rapture.

Back to the tithe - I stand my ground that it is FRAUD being perpetuated in Gods name.

smiley
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 08, 2013
trustman:

Are you saying that the spiritual life for the Jew,for Israel, is the same as for the Church?
If so how?
May be you are an honest fellow in search of truth,Let me honestly ask you a question which non of ur friends were able to answer.If Tithing and the giving of Offerings were to be done away with under the New Testament of Grace, then why did Jesus refer to them in His teachings? And if Offerings were also under the Law why not do away with Offerings as well. Why is the Tithe picked on and not Offerings?
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 10:36pm On Dec 08, 2013
Bidam: May be you are an honest fellow in search of truth,Let me honestly ask you a question which non of ur friends were able to answer.If Tithing and the giving of Offerings were to be done away with under the New Testament of Grace, then why did Jesus refer to them in His teachings? And if Offerings were also under the Law why not do away with Offerings as well. Why is the Tithe picked on and not Offerings?

What a bare faced LIE as per the bolded. !

Show us 3 scriptures where Jesus taught the tithe.
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 10:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
frosbel:

Bro, you are the one that is following a myth. Just because 90% of Christendom believe in a concept does not make it right, in fact the converse is the case in reality, the majority follow the lie or myth and the minority follow the truth.

"They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths." - 2 Timothy 4:4

My Bible says that Jesus is the Son of God , the Messiah, the Christ - Nothing more and nothing less.

But your myth says that he is half MAN and half GOD , when it has been clearly stated that God is a spirit and not a MAN.

You need enlightenment on this matter because it seems you are still clutching unto the fables of tradition. This is how you earlier stated in another article and by implication , that the resurrection was a mere formality because the dead in Christ were already with Jesus , even though the bible rebuffs this lie. Jesus clearly said his saints will be with him when he comes back , i.e at the rapture.

Back to the tithe - I stand my ground that it is FRAUD being perpetuated in Gods name.

smiley
Let's stick to your op and not derail,there are other threads for that. Answer this questions:If Tithing and the giving of Offerings were to be done away with under the New Testament of Grace, then why did Jesus refer to them in His teachings? And if Offerings were also under the Law why not do away with Offerings as well. Why is the Tithe picked on and not Offerings?
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 08, 2013
Bidam: Let's stick to your op and not derail,there are other threads for that. Answer this questions:If Tithing and the giving of Offerings were to be done away with under the New Testament of Grace, then why did Jesus refer to them in His teachings? And if Offerings were also under the Law why not do away with Offerings as well. Why is the Tithe picked on and not Offerings?

Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 08, 2013
frosbel:

What a bare faced LIE as per the bolded. !

Hehehe,if i show you will you swallow your insult and call your self a bare faced liar?
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 10:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
Bidam: Hehehe,if i show you will you swallow your insult and call your self a bare faced liar?

show me please and these scriptures must be explicit in their reference to the tithe.
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by trustman: 11:04pm On Dec 08, 2013
frosbel:

show me please and these scriptures must be explicit in their reference to the tithe.

I would love to see these references from Bidam!
Please Bidam be very articulate and specific.
References please and not explanations.
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 11:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
frosbel:

Matthew 23:23 "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone."

Luke 18:10-14 "Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men [are], extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as [his] eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified [rather] than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

Luke 11:42

The Message (MSG)

42 “I’ve had it with you! You’re hopeless, you Pharisees! Frauds! You keep meticulous account books, tithing on every nickel and dime you get, but manage to find loopholes for getting around basic matters of justice and God’s love. Careful bookkeeping is commendable, but the basics are required.

So can you swallow your pride now and call you self a barefaced liar? grin
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 12:38am On Dec 09, 2013
Bidam: Matthew 23:23 "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone."

Luke 18:10-14 "Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men [are], extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as [his] eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified [rather] than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

The Message (MSG)

42 “I’ve had it with you! You’re hopeless, you Pharisees! Frauds! You keep meticulous account books, tithing on every nickel and dime you get, but manage to find loopholes for getting around basic matters of justice and God’s love. Careful bookkeeping is commendable, but the basics are required.

1. Jesus was not teaching on tithing in these verses
2. All the verses mention Tithe with a negative connotation
3. All cases where tithe was mentioned referred to the Pharisees
4. The Pharisees were called Frauds despite their tithing
5. The Pharisees thought the tithe placed them in good stead with God , instead Jesus pronounced a woe upon them.
6. All items mentioned in these scriptures for tithing were farm produce.

Summary : Jesus did not teach on tithing, neither did he condemn the pharisees for tithing, however he saw through the farce of their actions and called them frauds.

By the way : I am not sure why you quoted from the message bible because it mentions money when the original scripts and other bible versions always use farm produce. Has it come to this ?

cool

1 Like

Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Gombs(m): 1:38am On Dec 09, 2013
frosbel:

5. The Pharisees thought the tithe placed them in good stead with God , instead Jesus pronounced a woe upon them.

Summary : Jesus did not teach on tithing, neither did he condemn the pharisees for tithing, however he saw through the farce of their actions and called them frauds.

By the way : I am not sure why you quoted from the message bible because it mentions money when the original scripts and other bible versions always use farm produce. Has it come to this ?

cool

grin grin

*falls of Molue laughing.

What an analysis

1 Like

Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Gombs(m): 1:41am On Dec 09, 2013
Bidam: Matthew 23:23 "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone."

The Message (MSG)

Bidam, you have done enough...they won't believe you, neither would we, they.

But your above explanation need to be saved. I don bookmark ths page. E too make brain
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 09, 2013
frosbel:

cool

grin grin grin Can you swallow your pride and call yourself a bare faced liar. You asked for 3 scripture and i gave it.BTW all statements Jesus actually made are TEACHINGS that's why He was called a RABBI.
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by Nobody: 7:08am On Dec 09, 2013
Gombs:

Bidam, you have done enough...they won't believe you, neither would we, they.

But your above explanation need to be saved. I don bookmark ths page. E too make brain
Thanks bro...this folks are ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of Christ.
Re: Where Does Your Tithe Go To by shdemidemi(m): 7:31am On Dec 09, 2013
Bidam: Let's stick to your op and not derail,there are other threads for that. Answer this questions:If Tithing and the giving of Offerings were to be done away with under the New Testament of Grace, then why did Jesus refer to them in His teachings? And if Offerings were also under the Law why not do away with Offerings as well. Why is the Tithe picked on and not Offerings?

1)As frosbel rightly pointed out to you, Jesus did not teach anyone to go tithe, but he made derogatory statements about these religious men. They depend and rely so much on what they do that seem to them as the full height of righteousness.

2)New Testament of grace did not start during Jesus' earthly ministry but after His death and most importantly His Resurrection. If you truly want to know what the Grace gospel is all about, stick with the Pauline epistles where Christ revealed all the hidden mysteries that were kept secret aforetime.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Karl Marx - Atheist Or Satanist? The Truth Behind The Curtain. / Reason You Should Seek To Be Humble As A Christian / Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.