Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,462 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? (2360 Views)

5 Governors That Deserve A Second Term In 2019 / Presidential Debate: Jonathan Refuse A Phone In Debate. / Would You Refuse A National Award? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 07, 2013
People make a big issue of Mandela's refusal to seek re-election as something for other African leaders to emulate.

I've never understood this idea that somehow because Mandela never sought re-election it somehow makes him a better person than a leader who DOES seek re-election. Is seeking re-election a crime? Why must it mean the seeker is doing so for selfish reasons? If a man feels he needs an extra term to carry out his program for his country, how is he worse than the man who refuses to lead at all? I still have no clue why Mandela refused to seek a second term as was his right. Can anyone explain pls? I suspect he left so he didn't have to take the can (and the tarnishing of his good name) for the relatively poor results accruing from his over compromising with the apartheid regime on the economic status quo.

Any other ideas?
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Afam4eva(m): 3:48pm On Dec 07, 2013
It's not a crime to seek re-relection as long as the constitution permits but it's a crime trying to change the constitution to be able to come back for a third term. That's why Mandela should be praised for not coming for a second term even though the constitution allowed it. How many African leaders have ever done it. None that i know of.
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by seanet01: 3:49pm On Dec 07, 2013
Though Mandela is an Hero..
Mandela seems like a coward from some perspective though honest.
Mugabe is more Patriotic, Fearless and much more determined to align the path of his country with its Prosperity

1 Like

Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 07, 2013
Afam4eva: It's not a crime to seek re-relection as long as the constitution permits but it's a crime trying to change the constitution to be able to come back for a third term. That's why Mandela should be praised for not coming for a second term even though the constitution allowed it. How many African leaders have ever done it. None that i know of.

The question is ''What was Mandela's reason for not seeking a second term?'' Nobody is asking about who changed constitution for third term agenda etc. Face the question please.

1 Like

Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by seanet01: 3:51pm On Dec 07, 2013
Afam4eva: It's not a crime to seek re-relection as long as the constitution permits but it's a crime trying to change the constitution to be able to come back for a third term. That's why Mandela should be praised for not coming for a second term even though the constitution allowed it. How many African leaders have ever done it. None that i know of.
Can you tell me an American President that did not try to come back?
It is not an African thing my brother
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by isalegan2: 3:52pm On Dec 07, 2013
seanet01: Though Mandela is an Hero..
Mugabe is more Patriotic, Fearless and much more determined to align the path of his country with its Prosperity

I agree, but I wouldn't call Mandela a coward. Cowardly? Not that either. Though he appears to have compromised somewhat, probably for the safety of his people, and not for his own self-aggrandisement.
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Afam4eva(m): 3:53pm On Dec 07, 2013
seanet01:
Can you tell me an American President that did not try to come back?
It is not an African thing my brother
You may be right that it's not an African thing but trying to change the constitution to remain a life president is very African.
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by seanet01: 4:00pm On Dec 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
You may be right that it's not an African thing but trying to change the constitution to remain a life president is very African.
As if we have not seen European leaders who try to rule for ever
Abeg tell me something
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by GODSOWN1: 4:01pm On Dec 07, 2013
B/cos this man is a man of good reputation,He really wants to help is Nation and noting else.He as a contempt spirit.This is true LOVE.
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by isalegan2: 4:03pm On Dec 07, 2013

Not only Africans try to hold onto power. Guiliani of New York tried it, even though he was a huge supporter of term limits. Bloomberg also was hoping he'd get away with it somehow. They do it all the time abroad.

Mandela didn't do it because the African National Congress was a not a party of one man, unlike the way Obasanjo ruled PDP. They started out as Communists and believe more in shared power. People like the great Thabo Mbeki were part of the leadership. They all fought for the freedom of South African Blacks and the end to apartheid. Somehow, Mandela became the symbol, but there are lots more unheralded ANC faithful, former political prisoners, exiled men and women, etc.
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by omanzo02: 4:08pm On Dec 07, 2013
Afam4eva:

What about the president (Napolitano) of Italy that want to rule for life, is he an African? grin cheesy cheesy
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 07, 2013
seanet01: Though Mandela is an Hero..

I wouldn't so much call him a coward, as being a lot more pragmatic and self-centred than his admirers realize. It's almost like he made a pact with the whites: We make you an international saint and icon, and you let us retain the wealth. His relinquishing office after one term helped that agenda, by freeing him of all responsibility for the fact that the masses lives still were not significantly transformed (and would not be even after his second term) etc...
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by talktimi(m): 4:10pm On Dec 07, 2013
Mainly because of his advanced age. He was around 80yrs or so

1 Like

Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Dec 07, 2013
talktimi: Mainly because of his advanced age. He was around 80yrs or so

Good point.
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Olugbenger(m): 4:41pm On Dec 07, 2013

Exactly...i was expecting someone to bring this up as the major reason.
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Tolexander: 4:55pm On Dec 07, 2013
that may not be a very reason he didn't contest the second term. So it is not 'very right' for you to say that only if he had cited that as his reason.

We all know typical african man will not want to leave power, only if he is forced to or intentionally doesn't and that is very rare.
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 07, 2013
ROSSIKE:

I wouldn't so much call him a coward, as being a lot more pragmatic and self-centred than his admirers realize. It's almost like he made a pact with the whites: We make you an international saint and icon, and you let us retain the wealth. His relinquishing office after one term helped that agenda, by freeing him of all responsibility for the fact that the masses lives still were not significantly transformed (and would not be even after his second term) etc...

Mandela's main goal in life was to help dismantle the apartheid infrastructure. Having achieved this by the age of 81, he saw little point in indulging in the kind of sit-tightism which leads to mission creep.

Whatever faults it has, I know for a fact that the ANC is built along different lines from any of our national parties, which rely largely on the messianic appeal of individuals and tribalism, for 'continuity'.

1 Like

Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by talktimi(m): 8:11pm On Dec 07, 2013
Tolexander: that may not be a very reason he didn't contest the second term. So it is not 'very right' for you to say that only if he had cited that as his reason.

We all know typical african man will not want to leave power, only if he is forced to or intentionally doesn't and that is very rare.
no man will be "typical" after 27 yrs in solitary confinement i can assure you.
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Nuzo1(m): 8:23pm On Dec 07, 2013
The reputation and accolades he gained over his 30 something years of struggle would have gone to the dogs had he seeked for a re-election.

He knew he wasn't a seasoned administrator. He was simply and unarguably a human right activist, community leader, rebel and a philanthropist.

He was duely rewarded with the post of presidency so as to properly drive the process of unification, reconciliation and of course a compensation to his struggle.

After that, the real business of politicking and administration comes in. He had to allow the professionals take over.

1 Like

Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2013
Nuzo':
The reputation and accolades he gained over his 30 something years of struggle would have gone to the dogs had he seeked for a re-election.

He knew he wasn't a seasoned administrator. He was simply and unarguably a human right activist, community leader, rebel and a philanthropist.

He was duely rewarded with the post of presidency so as to properly drive the process of unification, reconciliation and of course a compensation to his struggle.

After that, the real business of politicking and administration comes in. He had to allow the professionals take over.

Apt!
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Tolexander: 8:41pm On Dec 07, 2013
talktimi: no man will be "typical" after 27 yrs in solitary confinement i can assure you.
how was he typical for the 4years?

Don't shift the goal post bro. You said 'at that age' not after serving that term in prison!
talktimi: Mainly because of
his advanced age. He was
around 80yrs or so
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by talktimi(m): 8:55pm On Dec 07, 2013
Tolexander: how was he typical for the 4years?

Don't shift the goal post bro. You said 'at that age' not after serving that term in prison!
what i really meant is that he would want to rest at that age especially after such a hectic life
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Tolexander: 8:58pm On Dec 07, 2013
talktimi: what i really meant is that he would want to rest at that age especially after such a hectic life
that's why you should be lucid bro!
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by bigsammysam: 10:41pm On Dec 07, 2013
BREAKING NEWS: The Aso Ankara for Mandela Burial
has just arrived. Is just 20k for six yards, if U are
interested pay ur money to GTB BANK a/c 0041941999
Madiba sikelewu. Remember first come for serve. If u
no buy Ankara u no go chop semo.
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by Abagworo(m): 10:50pm On Dec 07, 2013
isale_gan2:

They all fought for the freedom of South African Blacks and the end to apartheid. Somehow, Mandela became the symbol, but there are lots more unheralded ANC faithful, former political prisoners, exiled men and women, etc.

Blessed be the unsong heroes of every generation. Success in this world is usually through team work and somehow one man out shines the others and manages to take much of the glory.
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by motif8(m): 10:56pm On Dec 07, 2013
op go and read obj's comment, and u will see the main reason wjhy he did not seek reelection, obj said when he asked him to seek reelectiion he said show me where in the world where a man of 80yr is rulling effectively?.
he is not a coward as some said.
Re: So Why Did Mandela Refuse A Second Term? by MajeMedia: 11:11pm On Dec 07, 2013
ROSSIKE: People make a big issue of Mandela's refusal to seek re-election as something for other African leaders to emulate.

I've never understood this idea that somehow because Mandela never sought re-election it somehow makes him a better person than a leader who DOES seek re-election. Is seeking re-election a crime? Why must it mean the seeker is doing so for selfish reasons? If a man feels he needs an extra term to carry out his program for his country, how is he worse than the man who refuses to lead at all? I still have no clue why Mandela refused to seek a second term as was his right. Can anyone explain pls? I suspect he left so he didn't have to take the can (and the tarnishing of his good name) for the relatively poor results accruing from his over compromising with the apartheid regime on the economic status quo.

Any other ideas?

It sets the pace for a healthy democracy that's based on service instead of power. When someone is there for power they will maximize their time. By stepping down he was showing that the office of the presidency was bigger than him as a person and those that follow, who will inevitably consider him a hero, should maintain the same attitude towards the office. George Washington of the US did the same.

Where as in Nigeria we are used to military rulers that would only leave by force. Thus our presidents behave like military rulers that won't leave unless it's by force. The person isn't the office in SA and the USA whereas in Nigeria, the person is the office because those before us led a horrible example. Someone that does what Mandela did is thinking about the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQ6Qhtgkuc

(1) (Reply)

EBOLA Wahala "See HAS Patience Jonathan Now Greet Her Guest" / Cameroon Closes Borders, Suspends Flights From Nigeria / How Senator Uche Chukwumerije Died - Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.