Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? (12113 Views)

Does The Koran Really Encourage Faithful Moslems To Kill Christians? / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems / Moslems And Life After Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by temi4rea(f): 9:34am On Apr 27, 2009
@Poster
Well in Kano here they complain abt the yoruba muslims and their mosque becos of the way they recite the reading from the HOLY QUARAN. while reciting its as if they are singing which they say it wrong.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by seeklove: 5:58pm On Apr 27, 2009
Jarus:

If anything, there is no other religion that frowns against racism more than Islam. So grave is racism that the prophet(PBUH) specifically mentioned it in his all-important last sermon, which could be described as summary of his message. That is how grave racism is. Let me reproduce the sermon here:

The prophet, not necessarily the Arabs, is our model in Islam. And whatever he said or did definitely supercedes whatever any other other human, Arab or non Arab, says or does. So any Arab that thinks he's more superior to black Muslims is definitely ignorant, and I'm sure knowledgeable Muslim Arabs will not say that.

Looking at your argument more critically it appears you reached your conclusion based on the the way Nation of Islam adherents are seen by orthodox Muslims. Ironically, that should even be a point for the fact that Islam is not a racist religion. The nation of Islam is essentially racist, more of defending black interest, hiding under Islam. May Allah guide them aright, this is wrong. But the good thing is that is that most of tehm eventually finf the truth and join orthodox Islam, like Malcom X.

Thanks for your reply and the quote that you provided which is very informative. Like I said, I dont know wheather it is in the koran or not, I just bassed my argument on the conduct of a few Moslem's that I work with.

I was surprised at your post especially the highlighted parts, it is definitely very true, touching, and non-racist. But what I don't understand is how come some people read that in their holy book and still don't refrain from racism.

I guess we have such in all religions. Some Christians defend their atrocity with the bible eventhough the bible condem such atrocities.

This has taught me a lesson never to judge a book by its cover.

I was surprised that such words of love is from the Koran. Based on the quotations that some people have provided even in this forum, I thought the Koran was full of hatred. I know somebody once said that the prophet Mohamed once gave up his black salves for one non black one. Is this true?

Did prophet condone slavery?

After reading what he said in the verse that you provided I find it hard to believe that such a wise man can be a racist.

I also must commend your civility, rather than getting upset and insulting, you replied with facts. I wish some of your fellow Moslem's will learn from you. They are rather very quick to anger when somebody says something against Islam based on his or her personal experience.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Jarus(m): 3:43pm On Apr 28, 2009
seeklove:

Thanks for your reply and the quote that you provided which is very informative. Like I said, I dont know wheather it is in the koran or not, I just bassed my argument on the conduct of a few Moslem's that I work with.

I was surprised at your post especially the highlighted parts, it is definitely very true, touching, and non-racist. But what I don't understand is how come some people read that in their holy book and still don't refrain from racism.

I guess we have such in all religions. Some Christians defend their atrocity with the bible eventhough the bible condem such atrocities.

I was surprised that such words of love is from the Koran. Based on the quotations that some people have provided even in this forum, I thought the Koran was full of hatred. I know somebody once said that the prophet Mohamed once gave up his black salves for one non black one. Is this true?

After reading what he said in the verse that you provided I find it hard to believe that such a wise man can be a racist.

I also must commend your civility, rather than getting upset and insulting, you replied with facts. I wish some of your fellow Moslem's will learn from you. They are rather very quick to anger when somebody says something against Islam based on his or her personal experience.
Thank you too, for displaying rare open-mindedness and objectivity, as opposed to having a warped mindset. I read readiness to listen from your very first statement that 'I don't know whether this is in the Koran or not. . . '' and that was why I took my time to explain to you.
As you also observed from that speech I quoted, anything that came out from the mouth of Prophet(PBUH) was usually full of wisdom and touching. This speech is an example. If every Muslim abides by just this speech, sticking to the advice given in that sermon, we Muslims will not be in this situation today, but many of us have deviated and have abandoned this priceless prophetic advice. The Qur'an is filled with such words of love and affection.

As regards the question on slavery, I'm not very good in that area, so I can't answer that question. And the Prophet has advised us to keep silent rather than say that which one does not know. So I'm inviting more knowledgeable brothers, Lagosboy and Babs87, to answer the question.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by AloyEmeka9: 8:18am On Apr 30, 2009
@Poster
Well in Kano here they complain abt the yoruba muslims and their mosque becos of the way they recite the reading from the HOLY QUARAN. while reciting its as if they are singing which they say it wrong
This sounds more like a doctrinal issue than tribal.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Lagosboy: 7:02pm On Apr 30, 2009
Slavery has been part of the culture pre islam and on the advent of islam there were still slaves in the time of the prophet. Islams message was directed towards the emanicpation of slaves and the rights of slaves as well. The freeing of a slave became a charitable act in islam and the wealthy muslims freed lots of slave and Bilal was a living testimony to this act of charity. Bilal was freed by Abu bakr (May God be pleased with them all). Other companions like Wukasha and co were freed slaves.

In surah Balad (Q90 v12 -13) Allah was talking abt the steep path to paradise and the first issue or act Allah talked abt here was the freeing of a slave.

However, during wars slaves were captured as this was the norm in those days even in west africa history of the 16th century and earlier and they were were deemed to be causalities and war booty.

The main point is the message of islam was to free the slaves. It is unfortunate that some countries like mauritania still keep slaves and this is so unfortunate 1427 years after the prophet some people still practise this.

Having said this , the slave practice of the earlier era i mentioned is not comparable to the transatlantic slave trade of the europeans.

If i have said anything wrong please my other bros should correct me.

And God knows best.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Nobody: 12:51am On May 01, 2009
temi 4 rea:

@Poster
Well in Kano here they complain abt the yoruba muslims and their mosque becos of the way they recite the reading from the HOLY QUARAN. while reciting its as if they are singing which they say it wrong.
seeklove:

am not trying to judge u here o,but if u look closely the muslims on this site are more tolerant compared to the christians, the muslims give valid fact and explain rather than cursing or waving the questions

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by muhsin(m): 2:41pm On May 02, 2009
uplawal:

am not trying to judge u here o,but if u look closely the muslims on this site are more tolerant compared to the christians, the muslims give valid fact and explain rather than cursing or waving the questions

Very fair input!
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by JJYOU: 3:14pm On May 02, 2009
uplawal:

muhsin:

Very fair input!
the "wicked" christians are also responsible for yoruba moslems being considered inferior to hausa moslems.

Lagosboy:

Slavery has been part of the culture pre islam and on the advent of islam there were still slaves in the time of the prophet. Islams message was directed towards the emanicpation of slaves and the rights of slaves as well. The freeing of a slave became a charitable act in islam and the wealthy muslims freed lots of slave and Bilal was a living testimony to this act of charity. Bilal was freed by Abu bakr (May God be pleased with them all). Other companions like Wukasha and co were freed slaves.

In surah Balad (Q90 v12 -13) Allah was talking abt the steep path to paradise and the first issue or act Allah talked abt here was the freeing of a slave.

However, during wars slaves were captured as this was the norm in those days even in west africa history of the 16th century and earlier and they were were deemed to be causalities and war booty.

The main point is the message of islam was to free the slaves. It is unfortunate that some countries like mauritania still keep slaves and this is so unfortunate 1427 years after the prophet some people still practise this.

Having said this , the slave practice of the earlier era i mentioned is not comparable to the transatlantic slave trade of the europeans.

If i have said anything wrong please my other bros should correct me.

And God knows best.
egbon, dafur and sudan makes my first highlight a joke. they must be reading different koran.

secondly it is a known fact the arabs treated slaves worse than the europeans. this is one of the main obstacle today with gadaffi championing the AU project.

slavery in all in its form is vile and wicked doesnt matter who is did it. i lived in hampstead & stanmore some few years back you can still see your arab cousins exhibiting their slave master mentality on sadly black and phillipino maids. sadly my naija peeps put in their little quota.

now back to the question why are u considered lesser than the hausa mole?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Jarus(m): 1:08pm On May 03, 2009
JJYOU:

now back to the question why are u considered lesser than the hausa mole?
Only an ignorant Hausa Muslim will consider himself superior to Yoruba Muslim simply because of tribe. Ditto for a Yoruba Muslim that considers himself superior.
Ex-Nairalander MCUsman, may Allah preserve his life in Congo, has explained this on NL before.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Jarus(m): 4:02pm On May 04, 2009
I'm not denying the fact that some(or most, if you say so) Hausa Muslims believe Yoruba Muslims are inferior. But what I'm saying is that it is borne out of ignorance, and no knowledgeable Hausa Muslim will believe or say that. I led prayers in Sokoto, with many hausas behind me.

Looking at it more critically, the reasons why some Hausas don't trust us Yoruba Muslims is not totally out of place, but the situation has greatly improved. Mixing idolatory with Islam WAS quite common in Yorubaland before. When Islam came to Yorubaland, many of our forefathers, may Allah forgive them, accepted Islam but still found it difficult to drop their idolatory traditional practices. That is why you will see soem of them using bante(charms) etc. As time went on, it became clearer to them that you have to enter Islam wholeheartedly, and they dropped their fetish practices. But till today or until recently, you still find some Yoruba Muslims doing these things. For example I will not be surprised if the person under eyo is Kamoru or Luku. And this same Luku or kamoru comes to Mosque. I, even as a fellow Yoruba, cannot pray behind somebody that did eyo. So it was the prevalence of these practices(mixing Islam with idolatory) that made Hausa Muslims doubt Yoruba Muslims. They generalize and feel every Yoruba also participates in sango, eyo worshipping etc. I had a discussion with the Hausa Principal of the school I served in Sokoto a couple of years ago and I explained to him that it was a misconception, while admitting that it once used to be very prevalent.

Another reason why Hausa Muslims have the tendency to see themselves as superior to us is that far many Yoruba people do nothing in Islam other than bearing the name. Many of us don't say our 5 daily prayers. But in hausaland, it is part of them, and 98% at least say their salats. My principal in Sokoto was surprised seeing me observing my salats regularly and timely, and confessed to me that I was the first Yoruba Muslim corper to be posted to that School that will be praying his salats, regularly and timely. These are the things that make them cast aspersions on us Yoruba Muslims.

Lest I omit this, we Yoruba Muslims, like South-westerners generally,are somehow more inclined to western culture than Islamic culture. From dressing to interactions to free mixing to openly shaking hands and even hugging between male and female etc, Hausas find these things very strange and surprised seeing Muslims do them too. So they don't trust us.

And finally, there is the cultural aspect. The children among them believe that Hausas are the only Muslims and there are no Yoruba Muslims. They find it difficult to distinguish between their culture and Islam(and in actual fact, hardly distinguishable). They think since Hausa=Muslim, then Yoruba cannot be equal to Muslim, since Yoruba is not equal to Hausa. This was why in their schools, pupils found it difficult to believe some of us corpers were Muslim.

But the actual fact is that things have really changed a lot. Yoruba Muslims have really improved a lot. Yoruba Muslims hardly take part in all those idolatory practices again, Islamic morals are now being upheld as opposed to flagrant disregard to them hitherto, a high % of Yoruba Muslims don't joke say their salats now etc. And many Hausa Muslims acknowledge this. In fact, what they now say is that 'Yoruba Muslims are either highly devoted or loose, but the bulk of Hausa are average'', given the fact most of the 'conc' student preachers & MSSN exco in northern Universities are Yorubas and the 'baddest' are also from Yorubas.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by AloyEmeka9: 7:50am On May 05, 2009
I'm not denying the fact that some(or most, if you say so) Hausa Muslims believe Yoruba Muslims are inferior. But what I'm saying is that it is borne out of ignorance, and no knowledgeable Hausa Muslim will believe or say that. I led prayers in Sokoto, with many hausas behind me.

Looking at it more critically, the reasons why some Hausas don't trust us Yoruba Muslims is not totally out of place, but the situation has greatly improved. Mixing idolatory with Islam WAS quite common in Yorubaland before. When Islam came to Yorubaland, many of our forefathers, may Allah forgive them, accepted Islam but still found it difficult to drop their idolatory traditional practices. That is why you will see soem of them using bante(charms) etc. As time went on, it became clearer to them that you have to enter Islam wholeheartedly, and they dropped their fetish practices. But till today or until recently, you still find some Yoruba Muslims doing these things. For example I will not be surprised if the person under eyo is Kamoru or Luku. And this same Luku or kamoru comes to Mosque. I, even as a fellow Yoruba, cannot pray behind somebody that did eyo. So it was the prevalence of these practices(mixing Islam with idolatory) that made Hausa Muslims doubt Yoruba Muslims. They generalize and feel every Yoruba also participates in sango, eyo worshipping etc. I had a discussion with the Hausa Principal of the school I served in Sokoto a couple of years ago and I explained to him that it was a misconception, while admitting that it once used to be very prevalent.

Another reason why Hausa Muslims have the tendency to see themselves as superior to us is that far many Yoruba people do nothing in Islam other than bearing the name. Many of us don't say our 5 daily prayers. But in hausaland, it is part of them, and 98% at least say their salats. My principal in Sokoto was surprised seeing me observing my salats regularly and timely, and confessed to me that I was the first Yoruba Muslim corper to be posted to that School that will be praying his salats, regularly and timely. These are the things that make them cast aspersions on us Yoruba Muslims.
Good analogy.
Lest I omit this, we Yoruba Muslims, like South-westerners generally,are somehow more inclined to western culture than Islamic culture. From dressing to interactions to free mixing to openly shaking hands and even hugging between male and female etc, Hausas find these things very strange and surprised seeing Muslims do them too. So they don't trust us.

And finally, there is the cultural aspect. The children among them believe that Hausas are the only Muslims and there are no Yoruba Muslims. They find it difficult to distinguish between their culture and Islam(and in actual fact, hardly distinguishable). They think since Hausa=Muslim, then Yoruba cannot be equal to Muslim, since Yoruba is not equal to Hausa. This was why in their schools, pupils found it difficult to believe some of us corpers were Muslim.

But the actual fact is that things have really changed a lot. Yoruba Muslims have really improved a lot. Yoruba Muslims hardly take part in all those idolatory practices again, Islamic morals are now being upheld as opposed to flagrant disregard to them hitherto, a high % of Yoruba Muslims don't joke say their salats now etc. And many Hausa Muslims acknowledge this. In fact, what they now say is that 'Yoruba Muslims are either highly devoted or loose, but the bulk of Hausa are average'', given the fact most of the 'conc' student preachers & MSSN exco in northern Universities are Yorubas and the 'baddest' are also from Yorubas.
Point well taken.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 6:42pm On May 06, 2009
Good point ! I personally see some of d yoruba muslim inferior bcoz their belief (faith) is weak
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 7:10pm On May 06, 2009
I ve asked a number of apostate why they convert to xtrianity and they respond,'bcoz Islam is hard'. God bear me witness
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Lagosboy: 7:17pm On May 06, 2009
JJYOU:

egbon, dafur and sudan makes my first highlight a joke. they must be reading different koran.

i am not aware of slavery in Dafur but i know of mauritania, however d dafur crises is shameful, muslims arent perfect and only if we all followed the true teachings of the Qur'an.

JJYOU:

secondly it is a known fact the arabs treated slaves worse than the europeans. this is one of the main obstacle today with gadaffi championing the AU project.  

I will like to know the basis of your argument as u stated it is a known fact but i am sorry this is not known to me.

Ghadaffi's AU has nothing to do with slavery and i am no fan of him by the way but there could be some sense in some form of African Union, this could be discussed in the political section.

JJYOU:

slavery in all in its form is vile and wicked doesnt matter who is did it. i lived in hampstead & stanmore some few years back you can still see your arab cousins exhibiting their slave master mentality on sadly black and phillipino maids. sadly my naija peeps put in their little quota.

Some arabs do treat their maids bad no doubt but we are nigerians and the way some nigerians treat their house girls or boys is shameful and everyone knows this. It is pseaudo slavery in that the maid doesnt even get the pay as it is a master that gets the pay. These arab maids get the pay themselves and they chose to be maid to make money for themselves.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by AloyEmeka9: 6:07am On May 09, 2009
Good point ! I personally see some of d yoruba muslim inferior bcoz their belief (faith) is weak
Does a weak faith translate to inferiority?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 2:10pm On May 09, 2009
Inferior
Aloy.Emeka:

Does a weak faith translate to inferiority?
Chek your dico
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by AloyEmeka9: 4:53pm On May 09, 2009
I don't need to check the dictionary on this one. I ask again, does having a weak faith translate to being inferior?. If I am a weak christian, does it mean that I am inferior to other christians?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by babs787(m): 5:54pm On May 09, 2009
Insert Quote
I don't need to check the dictionary on this one. I ask again, does having a weak faith translate to being inferior?. If I am a weak christian, does it mean that I am inferior to other christians?

Nope, they are different.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 12:03am On May 10, 2009
Nope, but ur dico says inferior means lower in rank, for d sake of arguement i agree
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by AloyEmeka9: 7:58pm On May 10, 2009
The dictionary definition does not apply in this case.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 11:33pm On May 10, 2009
Long story: i consider them inferior muslim (lower rank) because their faith is weak unlike hausa bla bla bla
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by MrCrackles(m): 11:35pm On May 10, 2009
Because hausa muslims tamba! grin
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 11:40pm On May 10, 2009
Haha wetin be tamba ?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by ayinba1(f): 1:28am On May 11, 2009
@ok abuzola,

it's hard to stand by while you insist on this inferiority thing and weak faith. How do you as a person measure strenght or weakness of faith? Is this something you assess or Allah does?

Is my faith stronger (as a Hausa muslim) than a Yoruba man because I am willing to seek him out (we prayed in the same mosque) once a riot breaks out between Northerners and southerners in Bauchi, and kill him in cold blood? Or the Yoruba muslim woman that was being mobbed in the bus (by Hausa muslims?) while she was reciting the 99 names of Allah?

Seriously, I wish you would enlighten me (us) as to what tools you employed in making your assesments and drawing your conclusions.

If the prophet of Islam (SAW) made no distinctions between muslims based on their race/country/tribe of origin, why then would any muslim with understanding and taqwa make such pronouncements?

May Allah guide us aright- Amin
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by MrCrackles(m): 9:22am On May 11, 2009
Abuzola:

Haha wetin be tamba ?

Tamba i believe, is when you rinse the butthole with water after having a shit

OR

Rinsing the Instruments with water after a leak! grin
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 12:10pm On May 11, 2009
Allah knows best, for me is what i see and heard is what i judge,
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 12:20pm On May 11, 2009
Wallayi during d OPC riot, yoruba muslim lured d hausa with salamu alaikum, if they recognised d respond as hausa they
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 12:24pm On May 11, 2009
They slay them, why because during d riot d hausa disguise to xcape d slay, many hausa were slain in d process
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Lagosboy: 1:06pm On May 11, 2009
Abuzola:

Wallayi during d OPC riot, yoruba muslim lured d hausa with salamu alaikum, if they recognised d respond as hausa they

Bro careful when u use dat word as it is heavier than what u think. Tribalism has no place in our faith bro , there is no way u can know if the yoruba that said that is muslim , any godamn person can say the salam. Nigerians have suffered from tribalism and those killings have nothing to do with islam. It is a big shame on us to think this way . Why will any real muslim slay his brother based on tribalism.

The fact is there are weak muslim hausas and there are weak muslim yorubas and there could be a stronger igbo muslim.

Pls note i haven used hausa muslim or yoruba muslim as i bieleive we are msulims first before yoruba or itskeiri or chinese.

Please lets be careful as we dont want to inflame or sow the seed of tribalism in oursleves please.

May Allah guide us aright and forgive our short commings

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 1:18pm On May 11, 2009
Ayinba illustrated d riot in d north and i as well gave a similar, so was ur problem
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by AloyEmeka9: 6:03pm On May 11, 2009
How does that translate to inferiority?. Sometimes, tribal sentiments transcends religious sentiments and that is why you see two people practicing the same islam kill themselves over a tribal issue.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 8:53pm On May 11, 2009
Tsew, we are not talking about inferior now, she brought an example and i did likewise

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Enjoying Married Life The Halal Way / Reason Why Allah (SWT) Create Mankind In Different Tribes And Colors / Role Of A Wife In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.