Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? (11753 Views)

Nigerian Homes Made Of Plastic Bottles And Mud / 8 Flats Of 3 Bedrooms Construction In Nike, Enugu / 8 Flats Of 3 Bedrooms Construction In Awkunanaw Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by topetall(f): 7:12pm On Jul 27, 2008
Hello fellow Nigerians,

I am writing a research project on traditional techniques of earth construction. I need to do a case study of a mud building under construction, please if you know anyone, anywhere in Nigeria that such activity is taking place please holla.

Probably you want to build a house for mama in the village and she doesn't want to part with tradition and insists on mud/adobe please holla, or you were traveling and came across one under construction please holla.

Please don't refer me to a dangerous place where they are experts in ritual killings, inasmuch as i would love to get a distinction and blow my supervisors head off, i don't want to risk mine thank you. Please send location of place detected.  I won't mind pictures being sent but I also need to be there.

And please anyone who took pics of when those circular igbo looking architecture modern building of Obudu (guest house) was still under construction. I also welcome informations on the above topic. thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by vanessara: 2:16pm On Aug 06, 2008
Hello tope,
if you are in ogun state,why dont u got to NBBRI adjacent covenant university,they have alot of materials on what you are asking for.you can also look for last week guardian newspaper and thereis a paper written by prof adeyemi ekudayo.there is another book "an introduction to the Nigerian architecture.hope i am helpful?
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by Kashif(m): 11:17am On Aug 08, 2008
This could be a huge challenge especially because those who visit those places dont visit the internet undecided
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by topetall(f): 10:09pm On Aug 11, 2008
guys thank you so much, i actually live close to the university, i guess i have to travel home. thanks a bunch. my supervisor said i should do more than 1 case study. so pls i welcome more information. thanks again.
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by vaiza(f): 4:57pm On Aug 12, 2008
I have a friend who intends to build with mud in one of the satellite towns of Abuja. He wants to use indigenous building materials extensively; the roof will be thatched. I have begun the layout plans for the building(architectural drawings).

Maybe later I will send details on construction if you like. I do not know if this can form part of your case study as this building is still being proposed.
Good luch in your work.
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by Olayinkaoj(m): 5:19pm On Aug 12, 2008
Chief Adebisi Akande, a former Gov of osun State and currently the National Chiarman of AC is constructing a massive building in his home-town, Ila-Orangun Osun State, just b4 u get to the NCE campus, although the plastering has been done but u can still gain a lot as the construction with mud is on
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by Classigal(f): 6:20pm On Aug 12, 2008
No need for materials on the topic, come to the north. Enough said. smiley
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by topetall(f): 7:15pm On Aug 13, 2008
if i like of course i like. any information please details, pictures, location everything am all ears. my supervisor is a DON in traditional archy and u know how hard it can be to please such people. she wrote excellent 4 my project topic. but my chapter one she didnt praise me made some corrections though, i pray for access to relevant books, resources, i even pray for the grace to see me thru my running up and down and for wisdom to package all i have got well. u know packaging is important. guys thank u so very much.am thinking of travelling to jos. MONTA, not been there b4, dont know any one there, av never travelled 2 a strange place alone. God dey. guys thank u. u are d best. am gonna rock.
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by Koya64: 11:25pm On Aug 13, 2008
[color=#000099][color=#000099]Just go to Ilesa in Osun state.Tell any taxi driver or okada man your mission.I am sure you will get more information and material than you need.The place is safe and you can get cheap hotel accommodation if you want to stay beyond one day.E.g. Highway hotel,Okesa,Ilesa{can get a fairly good room for 2.5k } per night.Good luck.
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by Remii(m): 11:50pm On Aug 14, 2008
The Bells Schools at Ota are elegantly built with red bricks, a lot are still being made as I writ. Just visit the place. However remember the owner is Obasanjo, I will suggest you take proper permission from the school authorities before collecting your data, if you wish. Best of luck.
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by topetall(f): 11:56pm On Aug 25, 2008
hiya
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by anonimi: 1:56pm On Aug 26, 2008
I think it might be useful to check out some museums, they should have some materials on traditional archy and maybe how it has evolved/changed over time. You can then identify how that trend has continued or not into the mud constructions of today.
But I think you not focus on the WOW effect too much/only, but rather see how you can use the research as a basis for bringing some uniqueness into your later career.
Best of luck.
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by topetall(f): 9:28pm On Aug 26, 2008
thank u so much, but this will be my first time of revealing that i have a dream that when i av my money i would set up a resort or training centre or academy aving diferent typologies built with sustainable trad materials from north, south east, west, training ppl on our culture, our dance, language, drama, weaving, singing. kids could come over for camp, nigerian abroad cld come over and lecture in a thing or two, honey this project is really helping , and i know its not a mistake i chose the topic, am going to use it for something greater later on. but for now as i am discovering things to overwhelm(wow) myself and my lecturer am gaining the best of information. thank you very much. but pls dont let us talk on my dreams on how it can work or not work but on my project please. that would be another topic for another day. thank you.
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by topetall(f): 12:41pm On Sep 20, 2008
hiya just got back from motna a museum in jos and it was beautiful, i was able to take some pics there and on the way. thanks guys. am still waiting for more information. thank u
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by topetall(f): 2:31pm On Sep 20, 2008
some pics of my trip to motna- a trad. museum in jos

1 Like

Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by topetall(f): 9:39pm On Sep 26, 2008
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by anonimi: 1:25pm On Oct 06, 2008
hope you really enjoyed your trip and got some unusual but potentially useful education also.
these are basically beautiful concepts/pictures/buildings and are being used for chalets and safari lodges in East Africa where tourism is their main revenue earner.
for naija we no get time for relax, na to chase money from monday to sunday. owambes for saturdays na to make or sustain connections (read breakthrough) and same goes for friday mosque and sunday church business, so no time to rest = greater stress related diseases and younger deaths. even when people go UK or US for summer na mainly to do shopping to show-off sey dem get kudi pass dem neighbour.
if & when we have a viable middle class whose legitimate income can ensure quality lifestyle then such mud chalet resort concepts may re-emerge and feed into bigger, regular family structures.
funny enough, i read somewhere that these mud houses ensure cooler temperature inside the house than cement.
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by anonimi: 11:31am On Oct 07, 2008
poster,

have u tried to google your subject?
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by okunoba(m): 2:18pm On Oct 24, 2009
@Topetall, I hope u got the necessary information regarding your research project. I need your advice on my plan to establish a burnt clay brick and tiles industry in Nigeria using low level technology. I also need the contact details 4 the Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute( NBRRI), who have done extensive research on this topic.I would like to contact a Mr Andrew Dirisu who was head of  the building materials section at the time the reseach project I am interested in was initiated and completed or who ever as replaced him. Please forward contact details 4 urself, so we can talk further, we might be able to work together since u already have similar interest.

Questions 4 all
Are people building houses using burnt clay bricks and clay roof tiles,
What type of houses are being built using these materials?
How competitive is burnt clay brick  in comparison to cement blocks?
Which companies are involve in the manufacture of clay brick and tiles and what price do they charge?
How big is the market , is`t expanding?
What do u think of the houses u have seen in Nigeria built using burnt clay brick and clay tiles ?
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by redbricks: 6:37pm On May 06, 2010
Hello

For all your red clay bricks / split tiles, please contact us at Red Bricks Factory, Ibeshe Road, Beside Nichemtex, Ikorodu, Lagos.

You could send your drawings / plans to our email ID, ikorodu_bricks@yahoo.com

We will estimate the number of bricks required and the type of bricks to be used for each area of construction.

or call me at 08055097285[/b]Cheers

=[b]Femi
=
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by Prestdude: 9:57am On Nov 02, 2015
Bodies and Strength: The Example Of South-Western Nigeria

Publication of Raw Materials Development - Many of the secondary clays which are earthenware in nature come off in white, reddish-brown and gray or black shades and mostly fired to buff or red and brown of different shades. The colour effects and the high plasticity nature of secondary clays is due to the heavy presence of metals such as iron-oxide content and different types of organic and inorganic matter associated with the clay in transit during formation. Both types of kaolin are mixed and used commercially. The physical properties of kaolin are:

White or near-white in colour.
Minimal ionic substitution within the lattice structure.
The amount of exchangeable cations is few.
Soft and non-abrasive.
Fine in particle size.
Relatively low surface area.
Low absorption capacity.
Good rheology.

The impurities in kaolin include quartz, feldspar, and some trace elements. In some cases, minor amounts of minerals with specific gravities greater than 2.85 can be found, of which a large percentage of these minerals can be removed by wet processing. Relatively pure kaolins are refractory and fire with a high modulus of rupture. The fired properties of kaolin make its use most important in ceramic production.

Ball Clays

Boormans In (2004) defined ball clay as plastic clay with a high percentage of kaolinite and relatively minor to abundant organic matter, producing high green strength and fired strength in ceramic bodies and usually fires white or off-white. Ball clays fire white to near white in colour in an oxidizing atmosphere (kiln). It also covers a wide range of plastic clays which fire from near white to yellow, red to brown depending on the amount and type of iron and titanium present . Based on mineralogy, ball clays are similar comprising of kaolinite with mainly mixed layers consisting of silica, micaceous maineral containing some illite, with minute quantities of carbon compounds, ferrous and titanium oxide. However, the provenance of three main components; particle size and shape, conditions at and after deposition, all affect the ceramic properties of ball clays.

http://www.prestarticles.com/bodies-strength-southwestern-nigeria/
Re: Mud Construction In Nigeria: Any Case Studies? by Mariekin2022(f): 7:16pm On Apr 25, 2022
topetall:
hiya just got back from motna a museum in jos and it was beautiful, i was able to take some pics there and on the way. thanks guys. am still waiting for more information. thank u
@topetall
Hi
I am currently doing a case study on architectural museums in Nigeria and i would like to ask if i can get a detailed description or rough sketch of the floor plan of the museum of traditional Nigerian architecture in Jos so i can reference for my design.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? / Ambode Issues Deadline For Payment Of Land Use Charge / Windstorm Destroys 1,536 Rooms In Four Jigawa Lgas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.