Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,801 members, 7,855,385 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 07:40 PM

A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? (631 Views)

Nigerians Excited Seeing Obasanjo On A Plane (Video) / Man Treks From Lagos To Abuja To Fulfil The Vow He Made If Buhari Wins (photos) / People Think That Tinubu 'Rules' Lagos: Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by Bash92(m): 10:50pm On Dec 08, 2013
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
I was woken by the pilot's voice. In the drowsy hum of the aeroplane, his words crackled, and I thought I heard something about preparing to land. Could I have slept so long? I looked at the time. It was only three hours into the Lagos-Atlanta flight. The flight attendants were hurrying back and forth. The pilot was still speaking. "We have an emergency on board, and we have had to divert the flight to Dakar." I could feel the plane descending. It seemed too fast. A sweeping hollowness. My fog of sleep cleared instantly. Something was wrong, the pilot was too
cryptic, the flight attendants too blank-faced, snatching up cups, urging seats straight. I thought: if I die, I hope it's quick and I don't know.
The woman beside me crossed herself. The flight
attendants were already seated, and the cabin frozen in a bewildered silence, when the pilot's voice came back on.
It was a medical emergency, he said, a pregnant
passenger went into early labour and had just had a baby. I sensed, around me, a collective hush of relief and wonder. A baby delivered on the plane! We landed in Dakar. Medical personnel in orange vests hurried in, a man carrying a black box, a lanky woman dragging an IV stand, their eyes heavy with sleep. It was 2am; they had probably not imagined dealing with a newborn on a diverted flight. I wondered what the baby would need, and if they had what the baby would need.
Soon, the lanky woman left cradling a bundle
wrapped in cloth. The baby. I strained to see better, hoped I would hear it cry. Then the new mother emerged, a young woman with a tube dangling from her arm, and behind her came the other medical staff, trying to support her. But she didn't need him. She strode past, straight and steady, her movement so quick that I caught only a glimpse of her face before she left the plane. She looked stunned and frustrated. It seemed even more of a wonder to me, not only that
she just had a baby in midair but that there she was on her feet, normal and unhindered. The baby's birth had a heightened dramatic potential, which her ordinariness had somehow quelled.

The pilot came out of his cabin. A tall man with an
easy air, the kind of pilot whose aura suggests
competence. He told us it was a baby boy, and both mother and baby were fine. His American humour emerged. "Been flying a long time and this is a first for me!" The passengers – who were almost all Nigerian – laughed with a shared sense of delight, as though by being present we had somehow shared in bringing this baby into the world.
"The mother said she was 24 weeks gone but that baby looked full-term. Why would anybody take the risk?" An American flight attendant was baffled. We, the Nigerian passengers, were not. We did not ask why. As we waited for the flight to continue, boundaries blurred and friendships formed. The new mother was travelling alone, nobody knew her, and yet we felt as if we did. We speculated about her circumstances. She probably had visa problems, got her visa later than she'd planned, or perhaps she had
not planned it early enough, or perhaps the American option emerged late in her pregnancy, and she'd chosen to do what she had to do because the sparkling worthwhile end was an American-born baby. I thought of her expression as she exited the plane, more frustration than worry, a lament for the American baby that would now not be.
Some passengers joked about her poor luck. "Now she has a Senegalese baby!" one said. "A Senegalese passport is still better than a Nigerian," another countered. "They will give a Senegalese person a visa before giving a Nigerian." "Good that the baby waited for the flight to take off, do we even have the right emergency services in Lagos airport?" someone else asked. We chuckled. Goodwill swirled among us. Thank God it ended well, many people said, thank God.
Risk-taking was familiar to us. For too many in our
world, this was norm: the lack of choice and the
dependence on chance.
Again, the pilot's voice brought news. A tyre had
deflated, and the airline did not have the resources in Senegal to fix it in time. We would have to spend the night in Dakar. As we left the plane and got into buses, we sent text messages and grumbled about the inconvenience of arriving a day later than planned.
Still, the complaints about missed flight connections and important meetings were light-footed, because what mattered was that the birth had gone well and besides, someone said, who knew if the tyre would have deflated and caused landing problems in Atlanta? "Please my sister do you have any sleeping pills?" a stranger asked me.
I was struck by how quickly the passengers adapted. "The airline will pay for our breakfast but what about lunch tomorrow?" someone asked. Hopefully, the flight would have left by lunchtime, came the reply. Some passengers posed for pictures by the spurting hotel fountain. They had been delayed a day, but why miss a good photo opportunity in a fellow African city they might never otherwise have visited?
The next morning, slightly disorientated and starved of sleep, I skipped breakfast. When I finally went down to the lobby, most of the crew and passengers were gathered, waiting for the airport bus, faces dull and unrefreshed, voices a muted murmuring.
As I joined the group, a woman asked me if I had
heard. "Heard what?" I asked.
"The baby died."
• This piece was originally published in the New York Times
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/08/baby-flight-lagos-risk-nigerian-passengers
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by KenJak(m): 10:55pm On Dec 08, 2013
But what exactly are you saying in essence?
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by inspirenet: 10:59pm On Dec 08, 2013
smiley
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 08, 2013
smiley grin
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by Bash92(m): 11:10pm On Dec 08, 2013
sincerenigerian: smiley grin
inspirenet: smiley
Keeping space in case it made it to front page
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by donphilopus: 11:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by magaliyu(f): 12:20am On Dec 09, 2013
The boy should be named ODOUA.
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by Nobody: 12:29am On Dec 09, 2013
In Oduah's voice, IT IS AN ACT OF GOd!
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by kolubo(m): 1:18am On Dec 09, 2013
berem: In Oduah's voice, IT IS AN ACT OF GOd!
I hereby name the baby Abisafefe
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by Brimmie(m): 1:44am On Dec 09, 2013
Allahu Akbar! cheesy
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by Tolexander: 4:43am On Dec 09, 2013
The baby died cos it was disappointed born an african instead of an american despite all the trial.

kolubo: I hereby name the baby Abisafefe
had the baby survived, it would be named Abisafe but since it didn't survive, it should be called Abisa
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by helpee(m): 5:44am On Dec 09, 2013
I love this and I'm planning to show this piece to a patient of mine. 37wks now and she plans to travel via arik close to xmas with a deceptive cloth that won't reveal her pregnancy. She is not even planning to get a medical report. Her plan is to travel unnoticed with the pregnancy, why? Just to deliver an american!! Nigerians have this mentality and it is such a shame. This is a woman that got married for 5yrs. Without issue. Now that God has done it, she's planning to risk it just to americanise the baby
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by ochukoccna: 6:15am On Dec 09, 2013
Bash92:
Keeping space in case it made it to front page
You seem spot on in your observation but knowing his antecedent on NL, it is probably to defend his vision less master once invectives fly in his master's direction
But is this
not daft?
You must ask yourself, what is funny in the news report that elicits grins and smiles?
If Nigeria was a place sanity reigns, would a pregnant woman attempt such a risky stunt embarassed embarassed angry angry
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by Bash92(m): 6:53am On Dec 09, 2013
magaliyu: The boy should be named ODOUA.
Sadly the boy died
Re: A Baby Is Born On A Plane From Lagos – Why Would A Woman Take Such A Risk? by lonelydora: 6:57am On Dec 09, 2013
Poor woman.....

(1) (Reply)

Why Jonathan Didn’t Speak At Mandela’s Service – Presidency / Nigerians Doctors Plans to go for Nationwide Strike due to poor facilities / Supreme Court Wrongly Freed Bode George – Falana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.