Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:06 AM

This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. (5822 Views)

Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) / Classic Ways African Parents Set Their Kids Straight(pics) / What Do You Do When Your Biological Parents Treat You Like A Slave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 11:28am On Dec 11, 2013
I've been wondering lately after hearing comments of crying children in my neighbourhood..
One morning, last week or so, I saw a child [10years] crying and tried to inquire what went wrong..To my suprise she said
"Mum flogged me for telling her the right time for a programme on tv which she believes is not true"
On hearing this i sought to find out the truth so i asked her siblings and they confirmed it..
Yesterday, a experienced a similar incident of a matured teen [17yrs]..He said he got scolded for telling his dad that he that he was tired [After coming back from school]..This was when his dad asked him to go out with him on a bricklaying job..
Today, I saw a mum shouted at her child cos of a lil mistake she made..For she was sent on an errand..This happened:
Since they were my neighbours, i heard their conversation clearly..Her mum asked her to buy some foodstuffs and these included; A cup of rice, an hundred naira worth of oil, two tin tomatoes [canned] and 50 naira worth of pepper..She went out and when she came back, her mum denied sending her to buy pepper, when she tried explaining the truth, she was told "SHUT UP"!!
Tell me does this attitude help our kids? Nowadays the opinion of kids are neglected..
Why are parents hard to correct sometimes?
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 11, 2013
That's how parents are oo they feel it's their place to do the correction and not the reverse.
My mum used to tell me that until the day I start feeding her, her word is law in the house.

Her word isn't law anymore but advice that I choose to obey or not. Boys are now men. grin.

just tell the children to endure soon things would change. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 11, 2013
I know how much it hurts when parents refuse to listen to a child's grievances .My hubby taught me to apologise to the kids when am wrong,he does that too.Parents should learn to put reasoning before pride, kids are humans with emotions too.

5 Likes

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Eneze1(f): 11:40am On Dec 11, 2013
because a lot of parents feel they are above mistakes, my mum is not like that anyway, but my dad, kai he is something else, but I feel the generation of parents this days are trying to imbibe the culture of apologizing to their kids whenever they are wrong which is good
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 11:40am On Dec 11, 2013
teeo: That's how parents are oo they feel it's their place to do the correction and not the reverse.
My mum used to tell me that until the day I start feeding her, her word is law in the house.

Her word isn't law anymore but advice that I choose to obey or not. Boys are now men. grin.

just tell the children to endure soon things would change. grin
Thanks pal...But my lousy neighbour is this adamant type..

1 Like

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 11:42am On Dec 11, 2013
Eneze1: because a lot of parents feel they are above mistakes, my mum is not like that anyway, but my dad, kai he is something else
Lol..He nags a lot right?
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Alikaxon(m): 11:52am On Dec 11, 2013
She know I gat the bread, She's hoping I toast her.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by write2obi(m): 12:01pm On Dec 11, 2013
Lolz, @post, my mum is exactly like that, when ever i try to make her see things from my own point of view she'll start complaining i no longer value her precious contribution grin . my Dad on the other hand will always encorage us to correct him when he is wrong.
But I've learnt not to, cos he'll always use it against you.
Parents are funny grin

2 Likes

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Hackerjay(m): 12:08pm On Dec 11, 2013
Bt u knw this attitude is found mostly with poor parent

1 Like

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 12:27pm On Dec 11, 2013
write2obi: Lolz, @post, my mum is exactly like that, when ever i try to make her see things from my own point of view she'll start complaining i no longer value her precious contribution grin . my Dad on the other hand will always encorage us to correct him when he is wrong.
But I've learnt not to, cos he'll always use it against you.
Parents are funny grin
How smart, is he?
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by donphilopus: 12:32pm On Dec 11, 2013
Eneze1: because a lot of parents feel they are above mistakes, my mum is not like that anyway, but my dad, kai he is something else, but I feel the generation of parents this days are trying to imbibe the culture of apologizing to their kids whenever they are wrong which is good
Sorry for the derailment pls! Are you from Igarra, because your moniker looks Igarrian??
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Yemlizzy(f): 12:44pm On Dec 11, 2013
I guess its the way things were with our forefathers and they feel it should be like that always. A child is not right as they feel they know little or nothing.Culture and traditions at times feel its quite okay.

2 Likes

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 11, 2013
Lol my dad can argue from mow to next year.he hates correctiom from anybody
lol...thats african ego for you

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 2:48pm On Dec 11, 2013
Yemlizzy: I guess its the way things were with our forefathers and they feel it should be like that always. A child is not right as they feel they know little or nothing.Culture and traditions at times feel its quite okay.
Sometimes little ones know better than them..In some cases..The third case backs that up; when she wanted to say the truth (the girl who was sent on an errand)..I was a witness..These are one of such cases which proves that kids are sometimes right.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 2:52pm On Dec 11, 2013
kulyie: Lol my dad can argue from mow to next year.he hates correctiom from anybody
lol...thats african ego for you
Lolzzz..That is so funny..Hope he copes well with your mum?
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 2:53pm On Dec 11, 2013
Hackerjay: Bt u knw this attitude is found mostly with poor parent
Seriously? Its with all the classes..But it's more with the poor folks..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 11, 2013
The only thing about my mum is her nagging attitude..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Tolexander: 3:33pm On Dec 11, 2013
Actually in yoruba land(i can't talk of other places cos of my naivity of their cultures), i believe the parents and elders think they have more knowledge from their experiences than the children and the youngs. Hence the yoruba adage 'ti omode ba laso bi agba, ko le lakisa bi agba'(if a kid has as much cloths like an elder, he can never have as much worn and deserted cloths like an elder), forgetting that 'omode gbon, agba gbo lafi dale ife(ife land was created from the wisdom of both old and young).

The elders so believe that they have more wisdom which makes them to be infallible which may not be absolutely right cos no one is an island of knowledge and one can't have the whole world experience to claim that is the source of one's wisdom and knowledge.

I do argue with my parents now cos am very much above what they can beat. I couldn't try it when i was a teenager and infant cos mum would tell me she got to this world before me.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 11, 2013
Tolexander, i heard Yorubas are opinionated humans...Correcting elders in the Yoruba culture is regarded as disrespectfulness- By a friend of mine; for he's a Yoruban..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Tolexander: 4:31pm On Dec 11, 2013
Elliozy: Tolexander, i heard Yorubas are opinionated humans...Correcting elders in the Yoruba culture is regarded as disrespectfulness- By a friend of mine; for he's a Yoruban..
ya, they are opinionnated like you said.

Not as if it is seen as a disrespectfulness to correct an elders. There is an adage in yoruba, pele lako, pele labo(sorry can be polite and impolite), depending on the attitude shown when one was saying the sorry.
If the correction is made in a polite and very respectful manner, they will definitely concede. Yoruba elders very value respect.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 4:56pm On Dec 11, 2013
Tolexander: ya, they are opinionnated like you said.

Not as if it is seen as a disrespectfulness to correct an elders. There is an adage in yoruba, pele lako, pele labo(sorry can be polite and impolite), depending on the attitude shown when one was saying the sorry.
If the correction is made in a polite and very respectful manner, they will definitely concede. Yoruba elders very value respect.
Words of a wise man..You really are wise..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by ubcandid(m): 6:10pm On Dec 11, 2013
That is one of the reasons africa is backward. A parent dad has no job, he would face his child when he stays at home cos of no work saying your mates are doing something but his are MD's. A mother that brings her sugar boy to the house when she see's her daughter talking to a boy and calls her - the girl decides to end the conversation with the boy formally, she has insulted the mother.
A father fights his wife but when kids fight they are the first to bring call for cane.
Father steals from his office when child steals from him the boy is going the way of a shina rambo.

1 Like

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by edwill: 7:08pm On Dec 11, 2013
no parent is above mistake as long as they are human beings. one thing most of us african parents have refused to accept is the right of the child. every child no matter how little,have rights and parent shold know that it is an act of responsibility to say sorry even to a little child when the parent know he or she is wrong.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 7:14pm On Dec 11, 2013
edwill: no parent is above mistake as long as they are human beings. one thing most of us african parents have refused to accept is the right of the child. every child no matter how little,have rights and parent shold know that it is an act of responsibility to say sorry even to a little child when the parent know he or she is wrong.
That's true..Children are not animals..That's one thing most parents fail to understand..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by write2obi(m): 7:18pm On Dec 11, 2013
Elli-dude:
How smart, is he?
Dude he is a cop, very smart cry
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 7:28pm On Dec 11, 2013
write2obi:
Dude he is a cop, very smart cry
Oh..Mah swerve
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Nobody: 9:30pm On Dec 12, 2013
Elli-dude:
Lolzzz..That is so funny..Hope he copes well with your mum?
lol mum doesnt like arguing with dad because we all know he doesnt accept he is wrong so mom ends the arguement with short phrases like ok,i have heard,sorry,ehen or sometimes to silence him she wil quickly change the topic

as for me i dont bother engaging him with arguemrnt.i will just say ewo daddy i have said my own and walk away.but in his mind he knows.lol

its my elder bros that argue with him.when they start,it doesnt have ending..but this one everybody has left the house,no energy for arguement again.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 9:39pm On Dec 12, 2013
Kulyie, Its a good thing there's mutual understanding between them..Most families would be hectic having this your kinda experience at home..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 13, 2013
Elli-dude:
Kulyie, Its a good thing there's mutual understanding between them..Most families would be hectic having this your kinda experience at home..
lol
Hectic ke.when the arguement is becoming too joy sef thats when mummy will say daddy shewa
oya o,your food is ready come and eat before it gets cold

na the rest arguementators go find their level
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 3:15pm On Jan 03, 2014
kulyie: lol
Hectic ke.when the arguement is becoming too joy sef thats when mummy will say daddy shewa
oya o,your food is ready come and eat before it gets cold

na the rest arguementators go find their level
Lol..Its a show of true Love and understanding..

Hope i'm not goofing around?
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by mgbeketoto: 3:52pm On Jan 03, 2014
Nigerian parents grew up without love. . . .don't expect them to change because they have 'CURSED FRUITS OF THE WOMBS AND BLOKOSES'! kiss

Angry parents breed angry kids. . .GENERATIONAL PSYCHOS roaming around! kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 4:17pm On Jan 03, 2014
mgbeketoto: Nigerian parents grew up without love. . . .don't expect them to change because they have 'CURSED FRUITS OF THE WOMBS AND BLOKOSES'! kiss

Angry parents breed angry kids. . .GENERATIONAL PSYCHOS roaming around! kiss
Funny enough..This is one reason why the RUDENESS AND UNCARING ATTITUDE OF MAJORITY OF NIGERIANS NEVER END..

The coming generation would go according to this principle and it'll go on and on..But its something i'll antagonise strongly..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Promise Card: Do Kids Still Do This? / Is Abortion The Same As Murder? Is Abortion Forgivable? / Guys, Would You Let Your Wife Do This To You On Your Wedding Day?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.