Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,633 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist (25829 Views)

Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 4:19pm On Dec 11, 2013
An atheist is someone who doesnt believe in God. Atheists get a lot of funny questions and comments, so here is an attempt to clarify things;

1) WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR MORALITY FROM?
Everyone (except psychopaths) has morals and they are an innate part of every human. We use our brains and reasoning to make judgments. It is insulting to suggest that atheist either have no morals or get their morals from an obscure place. You can't say that the only reason for you being moral and not murdering people is your holy book or your God.

2) You dont believe in anything?- your life must be so empty!
Wrong. Atheists only disbelieve in God. There are other things to believe in for atheists. There are people who believe that Micheal Jackson was the best musician that lived or that Manchester United is the best club in the world. Atheists are not cold-hearted robots; we have things that make our lives special just like anyone else....we eat, we breathe and we sleep.

3) Why are you mad at God?
No, atheists are not mad at God. They just don't believe in God. You can't be mad at what you don't believe in at all. Christians, are you mad at Allah or Zeus? Muslims, what about Zeus or Yaweh? No. We also dont believe in the toothfairy or Santa Clause, yet no one accuses us of being mad at them.

4) You can't prove that God doesnt exist!
We don't have to. You made the claim that God exists, PROVE IT!! Back up your claim! You know what also? You cant disprove that my alien cousin from mars doesn't exist- he is invisible and only talks to people he likes tongue
It is up to me to prove my alien cousin exists and it is up to you to prove that your God exists. Burden of proof on the claimant!

5) What if you're wrong (you will burn in hell)?
Pascal's wager has been debunked. You too could be wrong. Just as I assume that you have asked yourself if you are wrong, you should assume that I have asked myself if I am wrong. There are over a 1,000 gods- have you checked the other gods to find out if you are right. You are probably wrong on the stastistical odds less than of one in a thousand. Also, a sensible God would not put me in hell for the crime of only disbelieving. We don't arrest people for thinking or thought crime.

6) You just have to have faith!
Faith is the belief in things not seen/evidenced. Telling an atheist to have faith is the same as telling him not to use his or her brains. Not a compelling or convincing line. It sounds quite dubious to an atheist. How about "You just have to have faith in Zeus or Santa Claus"

7) Just open your heart to God!
There is nothing wrong with an atheist's heart. It is not closed in the first place. This is similar to "you just have to have faith"

cool You were never really religious (or a christian/muslim/etc)
Conversely, an atheist who became christian/muslim was never truly an atheist. This is just wrong. People leave religions and gods for rational reasons. Afterall, it is not like they become mindless zombies or murderers after leaving the religion.

9) WHAT HAPPENED IN YOUR CHILDHOOD? (DADDY ISSUES TURNED YOU AGAINST GOD?)
This is quite insulting. Don't just assume that someone had a bad childhood when he disagrees with you. May people become atheists after research or they were brought up as atheists.

10) Have you read the bible? (or Quran or other holy book?)
On the contrary, have you read holy books outside the one of your religion? Studies even show that atheists generally read holy books more than religious people and know more about religion
http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/09/28/survey-atheists-know-more-about-religion-than-believers/

11) I will pray for you!
What? And what will happen when you pray? Your God that atheists dont believe in will take action? Please, do not try this at home when an atheist is not in a joking mood.

12) DO YOU WORSHIP THE DEVIL?
People who worship Satan are satanists. An atheist doesnt believe in God or demons or angels or satan

13) You must really be an agnostic (*if the atheists says one can't 100% disprove God)
No. "Atheist" and "Agnostic" are two different terms that interlap. As long as one doesnt believe in God, he or she is an atheist, whether or not they can disprove God 100%

14) ISN'T ATHEISM A RELIGION?
No. Just like "OFF" is not a television channel. Atheism is simply the disbelief in god. An atheist can be religious but atheism itself is only a philosophical or theological stance...not a religion. In fact, religious people who claim that atheism is a religion are actually shooting themselves in the foot because they are trying to make atheism a religion because they know that there is something wrong with religion.

15) WHY ARE YOU SO ANGRY?
No. Atheists are not angry. We criticise religion at times but that doesn't mean that we are always angry. Sometimes, it is a case of projection. Saying "God does not exist like the toothfairy" angers some religious people and then they assume that the atheist is saying it because he is angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNjEbPfc2d0

38 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 11, 2013
Nice one LB

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by castielo(m): 4:29pm On Dec 11, 2013
Whatever! undecided

9 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 4:31pm On Dec 11, 2013
castielo: Whatever! undecided

Calm down.....need a hug from an atheist cheesy

11 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Joshthefirst(m): 5:58pm On Dec 11, 2013
Your number 1 is good. But it contradicts itself. The question of morals always leads us to the implication of God.

I hope some foolish elements will learn from your number 1's first phrase:

"Morality is an innate part of every human being"

3 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 6:27pm On Dec 11, 2013
Joshthefirst: Your number 1 is good. But it contradicts itself. The question of morals always leads us to the implication of God.

Your comment is 1diotic.

Seriously, morals leads to God? Which God? Zeus, Baal, Pikiwokki

You christians cant even decide on the morals from your holy books eg whether or not women should be leaders in church.

In short, shut up

23 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by MonsieurCoder: 6:46pm On Dec 11, 2013
Joshthefirst: Your number 1 is good. But it contradicts itself. The question of morals always leads us to the implication of God.

Mumu, Have you come to troll again?

Morality has nothing to do with the delusion of a creator. Morality is Morality, Belief is Belief!

6 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by mumumugu(m): 7:41pm On Dec 11, 2013
MonsieurCoder:

Morality has nothing to do with the delusion of a creator. Morality is Morality, Belief is Belief!

HE IS NOT A MUMU. I AM

47 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 11, 2013
MonsieurCoder:

Thanks!

Well said
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by MrTroll(m): 12:32am On Dec 12, 2013
mumumugu:

HE IS NOT A MUMU. I AM
cheesy grin
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 1:31am On Dec 12, 2013
You tell people that you are Agnostic or an Atheist and the first thing they ask you is "what did God do to you"? How can someone that don't exist to me, offend me.
I have come to notice that most atheist have morals that most believers.

7 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 2:00am On Dec 12, 2013
Atheism is the realization and rejection of delusion.

5 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 2:14am On Dec 12, 2013
Nice try with number one. The truth is that when one operates under an atheist mindset, one has no true reason to be moral. This is not to say that atheists aren't capable of doing great good. Of course they are. There is the capacity for good and evil in everyone. The point is that there is no obligation to do good. Many great philosophers and atheists have conceded this point. For western-minded atheists, they just don't want to admit that there morality has its foundation in Judeo-Christianity.

With atheism, morality is relative.

4 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by MrTroll(m): 2:28am On Dec 12, 2013
NativeBoy: Nice try with number one. The truth is that when one operates under an atheist mindset, one has no true reason to be moral. This is not to say that atheists aren't capable of doing great good. Of course they are. There is the capacity for good and evil in everyone. The point is that there is no obligation to do good. Many great philosophers and atheists have conceded this point. For western-minded atheists, they just don't want to admit that there morality has its foundation in Judeo-Christianity
why do you guys always assume that if left alone, man will not be good? Maybe that is the doctrine you guys have been taught, the total depravity of man. For your info, there is also no obligation to do evil. Its a 2 way street.

all morality is relative. Theists just use special pleading.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 2:39am On Dec 12, 2013
Mr Troll: why do you guys always assume that if left alone, man will not be good? Maybe that is the doctrine you guys have been taught, the total depravity of man. For your info, there is also no obligation to do evil. Its a 2 way street.

The entire record of human history shows that the propensity for evil is greater than the propensity for good. You ever ask yourself why that is? Countless studies have shown that humans will naturally try to get away by cheating others if they know they can get away with it.

There's no obligation to not do evil.

"all morality is relative" - this is exactly the point. Under a certain set of circumstances, if you subscribe to an atheist mindset, you can justify anything.

10 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 2:46am On Dec 12, 2013
@LogicBoy, more and more, number 14 is becoming untrue isn't it?

All these atheist churches springing up. A whole lot of time, money, and resources being dedicated to the idea that something doesn't exist.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 3:41am On Dec 12, 2013
@LogicBoy, #4: are you willing to follow the process by which to discover God revealed through the person of Jesus Christ?

You must realize that we are talking two distinct modalities: the natural and the supernatural. The natural falls short in providing an understanding of the supernatural.

If you choose only the natural mode only then you can only operate within that sphere. It's like if you only spoke Yoruba and I only spoke Igbo. We require a bridge, (i.e. a translator) to help us connect. Jesus Christ is that bridge that connects us to God.

17 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 4:07am On Dec 12, 2013
NativeBoy: @LogicBoy, more and more, number 14 is becoming untrue isn't it?

All these atheist churches springing up. A whole lot of time, money, and resources being dedicated to the idea that something doesn't exist.

An atheist can be religious but atheism is not a religion.

Surely, you know that there's something bad with religion and so youwil tell the lie that atheism is a religion so that you can pull atheists down with you. Sorry, try harder.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by texanomaly(f): 4:08am On Dec 12, 2013
Mr Troll: why do you guys always assume that if left alone, man will not be good? Maybe that is the doctrine you guys have been taught, the total depravity of man. For your info, there is also no obligation to do evil. Its a 2 way street.

Mr Troll, what religion did you grow up with?

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 4:12am On Dec 12, 2013
NativeBoy: Nice try with number one. The truth is that when one operates under an atheist mindset, one has no true reason to be moral. This is not to say that atheists aren't capable of doing great good. Of course they are. There is the capacity for good and evil in everyone. The point is that there is no obligation to do good. Many great philosophers and atheists have conceded this point. For western-minded atheists, they just don't want to admit that there morality has its foundation in Judeo-Christianity.

This is the kind of mindset that only religious brainwashing can do.

-Studies show that atheists are actually more knowledgeable than theists/religious people when it comes to religious knowledge
-Studies show that secular countries are generally more peaceful than religious ones
-Studies show that christians are more likely to hold racist views than non-religious people
-Christians divorce more than atheist

People commit genocides despite believing in God. Morality is not a function of God or religion. People like you can not see facts before your own eyes. Atheists have no reason to do good, as you believe. Do you as a christian have any reason to do good? Afterall, your bible tells you to do evil.....slavery is accepted, subjugation of women in churches, murder/discrimination against gays.....all in the bible. Think before you talj

7 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 4:16am On Dec 12, 2013
NativeBoy: @LogicBoy, #4: are you willing to follow the process by which to discover God revealed through the person of Jesus Christ?

You must realize that we are talking two distinct modalities: the natural and the supernatural. The natural falls short in providing an understanding of the supernatural.

If you choose only the natural mode only then you can only operate within that sphere. It's like if you only spoke Yoruba and I only spoke Igbo. We require a bridge, (i.e. a translator) to help us connect. Jesus Christ is that bridge that connects us to God.

Arrogance of religion.

Putting aside that your comment has nothing to do with number 4 on the list, you are telling me that you are somehow more aware of the world just because you are a christian (without proof!). When you bring evidence for your supernatural lies, then we can talk

You are doing a kind of special pleading as seen in number 6-

"You just have to have faith in the supernatural!!!"
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by texanomaly(f): 4:23am On Dec 12, 2013
NativeBoy: @LogicBoy, #4: are you willing to follow the process by which to discover God revealed through the person of Jesus Christ?

He is well aware of the doctrinal preface here. He probably knows the text of the bible better than either of us. He does not believe in God. And he doesn't believe Jesus Christ is our Savior, or bridge of any kind. This type of explanation, and any number of scriptural references are bandied daily. They are not effective tools for convincing an atheist of anything. I'm not saying give up. I certainly won't. I care enough not to do that. I just think we Christians need some new material. I haven't figured out what that might be yet, but I'm not giving up. wink grin grin

@ LB
Morning grin

3 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 4:26am On Dec 12, 2013
texanomaly:

He is well aware of the doctrinal preface here. He probably knows the text of the bible better than either of us. He does not believe in God. And he doesn't believe Jesus Christ is our Savior, or bridge of any kind. This type of explanation, and any number of scriptural references are bandied daily. They are not effective tools for convincing an atheist of anything. I'm not saying give up. I certainly won't. I care enough not to do that. I just think we Christians need some new material. I haven't figured out what that might be yet, but I'm not giving up. wink grin grin

@ LB
Morning grin

Well said.

Well said.

Couldnt agree more!!

wink

You are on point, Texanomaly.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 7:32am On Dec 12, 2013
texanomaly:

@ LB
Morning grin

My job is not to convince atheists but merely to state what the truth is. Whether an atheist accepts it or not is not by my doing. If two soldiers come to battle, they both make sure they have their weapons ready at all times. I think you will agree that the moment one soldier convinces the other to cast away his weapon before they can fight, that soldier has already lost.

I know of no better weapon than the words of Christ and that is what I will use.

9 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 7:36am On Dec 12, 2013
Logicboy03:

Arrogance of religion.

Putting aside that your comment has nothing to do with number 4 on the list, you are telling me that you are somehow more aware of the world just because you are a christian (without proof!). When you bring evidence for your supernatural lies, then we can talk

You are doing a kind of special pleading as seen in number 6-

"You just have to have faith in the supernatural!!!"

No one is asking you to have blind faith. Simply to look for the evidence that Christ was a true historical figure. Now from there, feel free to apply Occam's Razor.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 7:54am On Dec 12, 2013
Logicboy03:

An atheist can be religious but atheism is not a religion.

Surely, you know that there's something bad with religion and so youwil tell the lie that atheism is a religion so that you can pull atheists down with you. Sorry, try harder.

Since we've discussed this issue prior, you know I'm just having a bit of fun. I'm fully aware of the definition of atheism. I just wanted to point out that fact because it is immensely interesting. For people who are so convinced there is no God, they are willing to expend so much to talk about it. Hmmm...

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 8:03am On Dec 12, 2013
NativeBoy:

No one is asking you to have blind faith. Simply to look for the evidence that Christ was a true historical figure. Now from there, feel free to apply Occam's Razor.

Occam's razor doesnt work always.

You are asking me to blieve your easy answer- "God did it" since science and reason are too complex for you.

Try again

4 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 12, 2013
NativeBoy:

Since we've discussed this issue prior, you know I'm just having a bit of fun. I'm fully aware of the definition of atheism. I just wanted to point out that fact because it is immensely interesting. For people who are so convinced there is no God, they are willing to expend so much to talk about it. Hmmm...

I dont know how to rid you of this ignorant and biased belief in bold. Let me try with an analogy

Let's say the government announces a budget of 100 million naira a year for pilgrimages to the North pole for pilgrimage to feel the wintery goodness of Santa Claus. Everyone, including you will complain that it is a waste of money as Santa doesnt exist and we can do better things with that money. Funny enough, one foolish person then comes along to say "oh, for someone that doesnt believe in Santa Claus, NativeBoy sure spends a lot of time talking about santa" when you are complaining.

You cant shove your p**** down someone's throat and expect the person not to gaggle

6 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by texanomaly(f): 8:27am On Dec 12, 2013
LB...I still don't know your stance on creation. You said you do believe in the Big Bang, so what do you belive? I asked you before. You never answered.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 8:31am On Dec 12, 2013
texanomaly: LB...I still don't know your stance on creation. You said you do believe in the Big Bang, so what do you belive? I asked you before. You never answered.

I accept evolution.

The big bang is an incomplete theory based on some facts about the universe. It cant be complete. It is impossible to know every detail of an event that happened millions or billions of years before one's existence. The reasoning is sound but then, there are assumptions made on it.....
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 8:36am On Dec 12, 2013
Logicboy03:

This is the kind of mindset that only religious brainwashing can do.

-Studies show that atheists are actually more knowledgeable than theists/religious people when it comes to religious knowledge
-Studies show that secular countries are generally more peaceful than religious ones
-Studies show that christians are more likely to hold racist views than non-religious people
-Christians divorce more than atheist

People commit genocides despite believing in God. Morality is not a function of God or religion. People like you can not see facts before your own eyes. Atheists have no reason to do good, as you believe. Do you as a christian have any reason to do good? [b]Afterall, your bible tells you to do evil.....slavery is accepted, subjugation of women in churches, murder/discrimination against gays.....all in the bible. [/b]Think before you talj

Whether you or I adhere to morals does not negate what morality is or it's source. Can I acknowledge that morals come from God and still behave immorally, if course I can. Does that negate morality or its source? No.

Secondly, with regard to the bold. There is much more to all these things than what you state. For example, scholarly research has revealed that the practice of slavery in OT times is radically different from the middle passage, colonial America slavery that most of us associate with. It's almost insulting that you feel that Christians haven't looked into these topics.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 8:39am On Dec 12, 2013
Logicboy03:

Occam's razor doesnt work always.

You are asking me to blieve your easy answer- "God did it" since science and reason are too complex for you.

Try again

Please point to where I asked you to accept a "God did it" answer?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Spiritual Importance Of Early Morning Urine / How To Reap The Full Benefits Of Tithing / Fr. Kelvin Ugwu: Wearing Trousers For Ladies Is Not A Sin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.