Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,463 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela (23040 Views)

Charles Antwi Tries To Kill Mahama, Ghanaian President (Photo) / Woman Strips Unclad To Hug Mandela Statue / Nelson Mandela Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by icemania: 10:15am On Dec 13, 2013
FELA is the greatest African IMO, the man examplified what it means to be african, real freedom, not afraid to stand for what he believed in. RIP Ebami eda!

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by hemartins(m): 10:18am On Dec 13, 2013
The South Africans respected and honored mandela home and abroad. Thats something Nkruma did not get from the Ghanaian.
Sounds like someone is jealous.

3 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by AbuMikey(m): 10:20am On Dec 13, 2013

Then, Herbert Macauly and Michael Enahoro where greater than Mandela undecided

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by boolet: 10:22am On Dec 13, 2013
In my opinion, I think it will be erroneous to place Kwame and Nelson side by side. What Kwame did wasn't in any way greater than what Awo and Zik did. At best, we could regard the trio of Kwame, Awo and Zik as contemporaries. We must not forget that the end of the colonial era in most parts of Africa came to be due to the desire of the elites to 'continue' from where the colonialists stopped. However the anti-apartheid campaign by Nelson as well as other S/Africans was a more genuine undertaking. I cannot remember if Kwame was victimized to the extent of spending the core part of his youth in jail. If you ask me, Nelson was an activist, while Kwame and his Nigerian brothers only wanted the dividends of their exposure to the Western education by being champions over the "illiterate" masses of their people.

17 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by moscobabs(m): 10:23am On Dec 13, 2013
Nigerians say GEJ is greater than Mandela!!!
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Okijajuju1(m): 10:24am On Dec 13, 2013
I dont think any was greater than the Next.. This type of debate isnt progressive at all..

Typical Nigga attitude..

Both these men stood for something, fought for something and achived what they set out from the start. When dealing with humans especially Africans, you can never please everybody. Even in South Africa, Mandela is many things to many people, some good, some not so good.

What we all should rather take away is that these men have both left indelible footprints in the sands of time. Mandela was a South African, but even thhe almighty United States recognized his passing by flying their flags at half mast in respect. Upon his death, he assembled more world leaders than the Pope did at his funeral. Thats the mark of greatness. A mark of greatness that we no longer have in our society today.

Debates like these make rubbish of the legacy that Mandela & Nkrumah both stood for.

Rather than debate on such a stupid topic, why not ask who the next Nelson Mandela or Kwame Nkrumah or Patrice Lumumba would be..

Bloody Africans.. Always fighting to bring each other down.. angry
[/b]

17 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by AroOkigbo(m): 10:24am On Dec 13, 2013
In the spirit of "who is greater- season 1", I will say that,

GEJ is greater than Nkuruma and Mandela combined!
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by freecocoa(f): 10:25am On Dec 13, 2013
Werin consign me?

Abegi, they both did nothing for me.
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by amiskurie(m): 10:27am On Dec 13, 2013
I knw this wld happen.... cheesy
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Quatermaine: 10:28am On Dec 13, 2013
MajeMedia: Mandela's victory was the last page in a book of self determination started by Nkrumah.
Nkrumah's mismanagement of Ghana stains his legacy where as Mandela's is spotless.
Mandela is not Jesus!

Besides, you should be specific.. Spotless in what area?
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 13, 2013
Well, none of them signed Barça a new defender.

3 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by trigar12(m): 10:28am On Dec 13, 2013
mtweeeh

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by sakaguchi(m): 10:28am On Dec 13, 2013
I don't blame them, they are drunk on Alomo.
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by trovert: 10:30am On Dec 13, 2013
I AGREE 100% MANDELA IS JUST SOUTHAFRICAN BLACK HEROE....MANDELA IS OVERHYPED ND OVERATED IN RELATION TO AFRICA
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Quatermaine: 10:30am On Dec 13, 2013
Jamey Maxwell: Who the “F” iz Kwame Nkrumah?
Lolz.
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by vccghana(m): 10:32am On Dec 13, 2013
Wow this thread has made frontpage but Nkrumah use most of the money Ghana realize from gold to fight for independence for both Nigeria and many other Africa countries. he his very passionate with the emancipation of Africa why Mandela is just limited to south Africa.

The western world just over hype Mandela because he still allow the whites to control south African economy that is why they over rate him more than Nkrumah

7 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by amiskurie(m): 10:33am On Dec 13, 2013
if you guys really know Dr Kwame nkrumah u'll knw the man has a good point.its just that its hw the western media want it to be,they gave it to mandela.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by vccghana(m): 10:34am On Dec 13, 2013
sakaguchi: I don't blame them, they are drunk on Alomo.

my guy you dey look for fight oh, if those Ghanian Nairaland warriors attack you my hand no dey oh grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Quatermaine: 10:35am On Dec 13, 2013
ImHotep-X:
Who was the greatest African? This is very debatable. Also, we need to define Africa and what it actually means to be African. Africa itself is so vague and vast that trying to define the term in a myopic way would obfuscate what it actually means to be African, and exempt a lot of people. And like Zuma, the South African president said a few weeks ago: "There's no Africa/African." A few other African academics share the same sentiments. Perhaps, we need to start defining it as "black" - to make it all inconclusive.

So to call either Kwame Nkrumah or Nelson Mandela the greatest black person ever is a tad bit too generous IMO. However, we can debate who was more influential, more popular and more accomplished between the two icons. I'd say Kwame Nkrumah was more influential to the "African" cause since he was the face of anti-colonial struggle and he paved the way for everyone else. All the subsequent pan-Africanists came from his school of thought and they all studied him. But when it comes to popularity and accomplishment, as a black man, then no one is ever going to touch Nelson Mandela. If you want to use the creation of OAU as a yardstick to measure greatness, despite the non-achievements of the OAU - then Muammar Gaddafi also deserve to be in the conversation for creating the AU.

Personally, for the greatest black person ever - I would lean towards Malcolm X and Steven Biko since they both provided blueprints on how to solve the unique problems of the black race. However, they never really accomplished much while they were alive, so we can't really call none of them the greatest. But some might argue that Jesus also never really achieved much while he was on this planet, but most people believe he was the greatest that ever lived. That's an argument for another day.

All in all, I believe there's no greatest African/black person. They all contributed to black history and were icons. cool

Edited.

Hotep!
well said bro!
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by phemswag: 10:35am On Dec 13, 2013
*clears throat* Errmmmm...Any Ghanian that is bold enough to come to the public and say that trash must have forgotten his brain in Nigeria during the ''Ghana must go'' crusade!
#Team OBJ# All the way!
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by IAMBREEZY: 10:37am On Dec 13, 2013
And so?
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Quatermaine: 10:38am On Dec 13, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Then, Herbert Macauly and Michael Enahoro where greater than Mandela undecided

Perfect answer bro!

Likewise Azikiwe, Awolowo and the likes.
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Arosa(m): 10:40am On Dec 13, 2013
For me ObJ is greater. This man went to war for Nigeria and Africa; he was imprisoned too; he was head of state of Nigeria twice; He also gave us festac.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by vccghana(m): 10:40am On Dec 13, 2013
i agree with you they just over hype him because he protect their interest in south africa

trovert: I AGREE 100% MANDELA IS JUST SOUTHAFRICAN BLACK HEROE....MANDELA IS OVERHYPED ND OVERATED IN RELATION TO AFRICA
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by amiskurie(m): 10:40am On Dec 13, 2013
VCCGHANA

...ARE U GHANAIAN?
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by alphaconde(m): 10:40am On Dec 13, 2013
What I found surprising was when people kept asking, if there could be another mandella in africa/world.
For me personally, several person lost their lives during the mandella struggle. The striker that scored a lone goal to win a match is been commended forgeting the defenders and goal keepers who didn't allow a goal in. Me think mandella is over hyped. His case was that he lived long transcending different ages, so people kept writing his stories. His type still exist everywhere, men of intergrity and purpose, people ready to stake their lives for a just cause. Remember ken saro wiwa was even murdered cus of his people.

The world at this time is bored, hence they have enough time to celebrate him.

Instead of qouting me to insult me, kindly #GoAndDie

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by amiskurie(m): 10:41am On Dec 13, 2013
Arosa: For me ObJ is greater. This man went to war for Nigeria and Africa; he was imprisoned too; he was head of state of Nigeria twice; He also gave us festac.
LOL,HE GAVE UNA FESTAC cheesy ?
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by chucky234(m): 10:42am On Dec 13, 2013
Nkruma was partly fighting for his own interest and decided to enslave Ghanians when he finally got hold of power,he would have made Gold Coast his family property were it not for the coup.
4 years was enough for Madiba to hand over power to a new govt without having to go back on his promise,Nkrumah after spending 27yrs in prison wouldnt have given up power just yet but Madiba did.
Madiba's victory over apartheid had so many positive impact on the African continent, I think Madiba is the greatest of the two.

3 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by victorv12(m): 10:44am On Dec 13, 2013
Jamey Maxwell: Who the “F” iz Kwame Nkrumah?

You must be mad or completely retarded to have used the "F" word for Kwame Nkrumah.

Nkrumah was a great leader that fought tirelessly to eradicate colonial and imperial rule in Africa, for Africans to be liberated. Use your Bleep*ing dead brain...he's an ideology, slowpoke!!

4 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by vccghana(m): 10:46am On Dec 13, 2013
Full Nigerian but i love Kwame Nkrumah

amiskurie: VCCGHANA

...ARE U GHANAIAN?
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by vccghana(m): 10:49am On Dec 13, 2013
Please dont say what you dont know am living in Ghana there is no president in Ghana that has done half of what Nkrumah did for Ghana

chucky234: Nkruma was partly fighting for his own interest and decided to enslave Ghanians when he finally got hold of power,he would have made Gold Coast his family property were it not for the coup.
4 years was enough for Madiba to hand over power to a new govt without having to go back on his promise,Nkrumah after spending 27yrs in prison wouldnt have given up power just yet but Madiba did.
Madiba's victory over apartheid had so many positive impact on the Africa continent, I think Madiba is the greatest of the two.

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Samgreguc(m): 10:51am On Dec 13, 2013
Okija_juju:

Mandela was a South African, but even thhe almighty United States recognized his passing by flying their flags at half mast in respect. Upon his death, he assembled more world leaders than the Pope did at his funeral. Thats the mark of greatness. A mark of greatness that we no longer have in our society today
signs of End time. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Joe Biden Forgets Australian PM, Scott Morrison's Name? (Video) / Sam Brinton Accused Of Stealing (Pics) / German Citizens Can Now Change Their Gender & Name Every Year (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.