Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,100 members, 7,811,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Chinua Achebe's Letter To Obasanjo (2004) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe's Letter To Obasanjo (2004) (1410 Views)

As EFCC Goes After Daughter, Turai Yar’adua Runs To Obasanjo For Help / Okupe Reacts To Obasanjo’s Endorsement Of Buhari / Was OBJ Better Than Jonathan? Read Achebe's Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinua Achebe's Letter To Obasanjo (2004) by xtianh(m): 10:53am On Dec 13, 2013
FROM THE ARCHIVES: CHINUA ACHEBE'S LETTER TO OBASANJO (2004)

My Dear President Obasanjo,

I write this letter with a very heavy heart. For some time now I have watched events in Nigeria with alarm and dismay. I have watched particularly the chaos in my own state of Anambra where a small clique of renegades, openly boasting its connections in high places, seems determined to turn my homeland into a bankrupt and lawless fiefdom. I am appalled by the brazenness of this clique and the silence, if not connivance, of the Presidency.

Forty three years ago, at the first anniversary of Nigeria’s independence I was given the first Nigerian National Trophy for Literature. In 1979, I received two further honors – the Nigerian National Order of Merit and the Order of the Federal Republic – and in 1999 the first National Creativity Award.

I accepted all these honors fully aware that Nigeria was not perfect; but I had a strong belief that we would outgrow our shortcomings under leaders committed to uniting our diverse peoples.

Nigeria’s condition today under your watch is, however, too dangerous for silence. I must register my disappointment and protest by declining to accept the high honor awarded me in the 2004 Honors List.

Yours faithfully,

Chinua Achebe
Annandale-on-Hudson, New York

What do we say about this later in relation to the one written by OBJ to GEJ...
Re: Chinua Achebe's Letter To Obasanjo (2004) by abes(m): 10:58am On Dec 13, 2013
but...but.. he wrote the same letter to GEJ too na..

by the way, what's the point of this thread? to prove there is no corruption in the land?
Re: Chinua Achebe's Letter To Obasanjo (2004) by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 13, 2013
As far as on a very good day OBJ has no right to question GEJ, coz he is worse than he is, smhw OBJ did the right thing, its dz" u don do ur own, now make I do ma own" dats killing dz country, OBJ stole, does dat mean if another Nigerian from another region becomes a president, dat doesn't mean he shud engage in corruption, because its there turn to eat and other presidents did it, if we continue on the short run it might seem good, but on d long run it wud also affect everybody, coz 10years from now when GEJ is out of dat seat and maybe other rulers continue like dz, his children wud be asking, y is Nigeria like dz, y is there no light, y can't we be like SA, he won't know its d mistakes of der fada's dats visiting him. The past cannot be changed, its d present dat matters, GEJ if u fighting corruption with the last drop of ur blood wud make u loose 2015 election pls do it. And u wud scar ur name on d pages of history.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Letter To Obasanjo (2004) by xtianh(m): 11:16am On Dec 13, 2013
to prove that no one is a saint....
abes: but...but.. he wrote the same letter to GEJ too na..

by the way, what's the point of this thread? to prove there is no corruption in the land?
Re: Chinua Achebe's Letter To Obasanjo (2004) by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 13, 2013
abes: but...but.. he wrote the same letter to GEJ too na..

The point of the thread is that between OBJ and Jonathan, Jonathan is a gentle man and a saint.

A vilian like OBJ should just shut up and enjoy his loot!
Re: Chinua Achebe's Letter To Obasanjo (2004) by israel007: 12:12pm On Dec 13, 2013
Lol. Season of letters
Re: Chinua Achebe's Letter To Obasanjo (2004) by nwakaibe(m): 9:18am On Jul 16, 2019
And Obasanjo is busy writing letters
Re: Chinua Achebe's Letter To Obasanjo (2004) by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 16, 2019
Achebe, the man that is true to his pen.

not like the political laureates and plane sitting position renegades, that carries his act of cultism even in a plane in midst of reasonable individuals.

Thank God for that young man.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Letter To Obasanjo (2004) by Prompto: 9:33am On Jul 16, 2019
And where’s the foolish old lunatic now ?!

MelesZenawi:
Achebe, the man that is true to his pen.

not like the political laureates and plane sitting position renegades, that carries his act of cultism even in a plane in midst of reasonable individuals.

Thank God for that young man.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Letter To Obasanjo (2004) by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 16, 2019
Prompto:
And where’s the foolish old lunatic now ?!

He has paid his debt on Earth and joined his ancestors in the great beyond we're he communes with our forefathers on our behalf.

A man worthy of emulation. His examplary life teaches that a man is dead while still alive.

Such cannot be said of the pirate cultist from college of Ibadan.

(1) (Reply)

North Cries Wolf On Funds Imbalance: GEJ Budgets 111B For the East and 2B For NE / Photo Of The Day: Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha Riding A Bicycle / LIVE: FFK Formally Returns To PDP At Osun Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.