Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup (11918 Views)

Flying Eagles Are The Winners Of The African Youth Championship / Revealed: Why Super Eagles Lost Against Congo On Saturday / Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by kolo65(m): 5:09am On Dec 15, 2013
guy or whi soever upload this trend,u re so on point...these re seriously issues dat needs 2 be treated in the nigeria football team...cus the only reason most pple re bragging is due 2 d fact dat niga drewed wit italy in their freindly match of which d defence was a caos...cus if it is due 2 ethopia matches dat is a zero in nigeria's part..wat will happen if we re nt awarded penalty or any other give away chances at football
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by kubi240: 5:48am On Dec 15, 2013
u cannot discard experience easily in d defence we stll need yobo and we also need dike
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by abduldope(m): 6:13am On Dec 15, 2013
5. Prayer: Yes, a lot of people may say this
doesn't count, but I doubt Brazil would be 5-time
World champions if they weren't so religious.
Basically in God We Trust.#####mtchwwwww If i hear U de call GOD wen notin concern am with Football grin grin grin
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Emmyk(m): 6:23am On Dec 15, 2013
2004. Ogah gan o. cheesycheesy
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by fagin1982(m): 7:07am On Dec 15, 2013
safarigirl: 5 Reasons why the Super Eagles will do well in Brazil

1. Team Spirit: For the first time in yeaes we have a team that is filled with guys who are happy with each other, no one is made to feel out of place, from the home-based players to the European players, Warri wolves to Chelsea, they are made to feel equal. They play together and pray together they joke around and make fun of each other. It is beleived that whatever happens in the locker room goes a long way in determining what happens on the pitch, so.....

2. Determination- With determination a blind man learns to sew, a deaf man plays Mozart and Mandela brought the end of apartheid. These guys don't want to make up the numbers in Brazil, they don't want to go home after Round of 16, they want to reach the semis and they can do whatever they set their mind to

3. The surprise factor: Even Nigerians don't know who will make that team, it may be you, it may be I or anybody...what more our opponents

4. Underdog factor: Just like no one expected much from them in AFCON, so is it now, they may not be feared now, but even the '94 team weren't feared when they started

5. Prayer: Yes, a lot of people may say this doesn't count, but I doubt Brazil would be 5-time World champions if they weren't so religious. Basically in God We Trust.

@OP, anybody can make a list for or against those points, it don't mean shaytl

I love you Baby - Always Optimistic
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:28am On Dec 15, 2013
iamdsam: Nigeria can win the world cup but my main concerns are our defence which needs to to be worked on in a very serious way and we should also try by all means not to easily concede goals.
we're not the only ones going in with a weak defence. Bosnia has a weak defence, same as the likes of Croati from the analysis I've read. Greece is reported to have the best defence, but defence can't win a match- the strikers do, that's why people are touting names like Messi, Aguero, Ribery, CR7, Balotelli, Suarez, Neymar, Cavani, Falcao, Lukaku. How many defenders have been mentioned save for Kompany? We can work with an average defence(that's what we have, they're average at best, not weak), but we need a lethal strike force to go far and an almost perfect midfield
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:37am On Dec 15, 2013
kolo65: guy or whi soever upload this trend,u re so on point...these re seriously issues dat needs 2 be treated in the nigeria football team...cus the only reason most pple re bragging is due 2 d fact dat niga drewed wit italy in their freindly match of which d defence was a caos...cus if it is due 2 ethopia matches dat is a zero in nigeria's part..wat will happen if we re nt awarded penalty or any other give away chances at football
we used a team B defence against Italy, do you honestly think we would've conceded 2 goals if we had our team A defence? You're the only one who doesn't know the Super Eagles play at the pace of their opponents, can you compare their play against Ethiopia with the skills displayed against Italy? I'm glad we have players who can take a precise free-kick in the likes of Emenike and Nsofor(if he makes the team), at least if we get 5 free-kicks an entire match, we sure say 2 go enter. The team will play more friendlies between January and April/May, we can judge them from those, but using the Ethiopian or Italian match is wrong
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by bizibrain(m): 9:06am On Dec 15, 2013
safarigirl: I'm glad we have players who can take a precise free-kick in the likes of Emenike and Nsofor(if he makes the team), at least if we get 5 free-kicks an entire match, we sure say 2 go enter.
Am prety positive wit regards 2 set pieces play, am confident on d ability of some super eagle players in taken setpieces

Freekick
Emenike-scored 2 so far
Nsofor- scored 1
Oduamadi-prety good in distanced free kick

Corner kick
azibuke
Bright Dike
victor moses
mikel

Penalty kick
Emenike
Ideye
Vincent Enyeama
Mikel

Am confident dis guy will maximize every setpiece chances 2 d fullest.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by naijanoni(m): 9:33am On Dec 15, 2013
kolo65: ..cus the only reason most pple re bragging is due 2 d fact dat niga drewed wit italy in their freindly match of which d defence was a caos...
Italy's 1st choice attack vs naija's 2nd choice defence and u expect it to be rossy ??.C'mon IMO they even tried to conceed only 2 goals.Considering that d defence was inexperienced and d home based full-backs were playing agaist a european team for d 1st time,they did very well !!!.More friendlies would give them more experience.I dont know why people are judging d nigeria's B-team defence from only one game.You think its easy to handle d likes of balotelli ??.
I wasnt impressed with d defence too,but i considered that those are home-based defenders that are inexperienced and were playing against a european team for d 1st time.
More matches like that would give them the required experience.I believe in that Benjamin Francis guy.IMO with more exposure,i think he would be a better choice for LB than echiejile.Look at d assist for ameobi's goal,the preciseness of d cross.I have never seen echiejile send in a good cross into d 18.
He is faster than echiejile.All he,kwambe and other home-based players needs is exposure.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by naijanoni(m): 9:44am On Dec 15, 2013
@OP u may be right with those 5 points,but we're still 6 months away from d worldcup.There is enough time to prepare and correct things.
Trust keshi,he would take care of those areas u mentioned before d worldcup.A lot of players in this current squad won't go to d world cup.
No fear !.time still dey.This kind of article "Why super eagles are not ready for the world cup" would make more sense if posted 1 month before the world cup(if things still haven't improved),
Not 6 months before the world cup.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by troy20(m): 9:47am On Dec 15, 2013

1. Team Spirit: For the first time in yeaes we have a team that is filled with guys who are happy with each other, no one is made to feel out of place, from the home-based players to the European players, Warri wolves to Chelsea, they are made to feel equal. They play together and pray together they joke around and make fun of each other. It is beleived that whatever happens in the locker room goes a long way in determining what happens on the pitch, so.....

2. Determination- With determination a blind man learns to sew, a deaf man plays Mozart and Mandela brought the end of apartheid. These guys don't want to make up the numbers in Brazil, they don't want to go home after Round of 16, they want to reach the semis and they can do whatever they set their mind to

3. The surprise factor: Even Nigerians don't know who will make that team, it may be you, it may be I or anybody...what more our opponents

4. Underdog factor: Just like no one expected much from them in AFCON, so is it now, they may not be feared now, but even the '94 team weren't feared when they started

5. Prayer: Yes, a lot of people may say this doesn't count, but I doubt Brazil would be 5-time World champions if they weren't so religious. Basically in God We Trust.

safarigirl you got it wrong.this is football.it doesnt just thrive on careless optimism.the team lacks shape.it longs for midfield depth aswell as defensive.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by jeffizy(m): 10:09am On Dec 15, 2013
dimples*:

Wait o! Are my seeing things @this time
Op, is The world cup in 2004 shocked shocked
Just when you think you have seen it all. cheesy
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Sike(m): 10:33am On Dec 15, 2013
Let us get to the bridge first, then we'll find a way to cross-over. Biko!
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:43am On Dec 15, 2013
troy20:
safarigirl you got it wrong.this is football.it doesnt just thrive on careless optimism.the team lacks shape.it longs for midfield depth aswell as defensive.
I already stated that our defence is the weakest part of the team, but even at that, they aren't very weak, just average. An awesome attack is the bedrock of any team. If your defence is great and your attack is average at best, you'll just end up with draws. The OP is basing conclusions too early, that World Cup will be one of the most surprising tournaments ever. Like I said before, we don't even know who will make that team, forget what people say that it's only fair to go along with those who helped us qualify, Osaze and Martins helped us qualify for AFCON but did they make the team? I trust Keshi, he won't sacrifice excellence for sentiments at Brazil.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by troy20(m): 10:58am On Dec 15, 2013
safarigirl: I already stated that our defence is the weakest part of the team, but even at that, they aren't very weak, just average. An awesome attack is the bedrock of any team. If your defence is great and your attack is average at best, you'll just end up with draws. The OP is basing conclusions too early, that World Cup will be one of the most surprising tournaments ever. Like I said before, we don't even know who will make that team, forget what people say that it's only fair to go along with those who helped us qualify, Osaze and Martins helped us qualify for AFCON but did they make the team? I trust Keshi, he won't sacrifice excellence for sentiments at Brazil.
i realy do enjoy your passion for the game.but a strong stable team is not built from the attack but the midfield.the midfield is the bedrock of any stable and steady winning team.(For clarity)your attackers are putting away goals cause of it and your defence is that solid cause of it too.thats why spain has been winning everything.the world cup has always produced surprises, this is football.and the Op is not basing his conclusion early either.infact i would rather say he is a little late.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by obeski13(m): 11:52am On Dec 15, 2013
I agree wit d thread.d team is not ready for Brazil.i want to mention areas that need fortification..d left and d right back need better and technical players.ambrose is d weakest link in dat defence..by d time nigeria play friendlies wit a more better technical side,we will see d defensive frailities of ambrose. D attack is another problem area..it is obvious that without Emenike our attack is dead.cdeye shld be dropped and replaced wit Brght Dike.dat boy has proven dat he is an efficient striker..ahmed musd shld be dropped to d bench.he is too wasteful.d most problematic area for d team is d midfield.i think Kesh knows dis..super eagles has lost d vibrancy in d midfield since sunday mba has lost form..we played our best game in d midfield when mba combined wit onazi.i hope mba will regain his form back.and hopefully, if iheanacho can lift up his game to d national team level,then it will be a plus.MIKEL Obi is d problem we av in d midfeld..when he plays as an offensive player he slow down d attack by holding on to d ball unnecessarily, thereby making emenike to run into offside.MIKEL as a defensive player may work at d world cup becos d style of play of most Europeans is abt space marking wc is what Mikel does.he dnesnt help other players,he doesnt go for tackles,he always go for loose balls.d only thing i like him for is dat he guides his ball well and doesnt lose it easily.but he often overdo it sometimes
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:05pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mikel Obi is the problem with midfield? Same Mikel that had a 98% pass accuracy at AFCON? The one who was on AFCON's first XI? Are you basing your judgments on the past 3 games or generally? Please think this post through, Mikel is one of the best players in the current team, the fact that he was the only (Onazi too, bt I don't remember) one that played the full 90mins against both Ethiopia and Italy should tell you how dedicated he is to the team, if you can excuse Sunday Mba's recent fuq ups for being out of form, why not excuse Mikel too?
obeski13: I agree wit d thread.d team is not ready for Brazil.i want to mention areas that need fortification..d left and d right back need better and technical players.ambrose is d weakest link in dat defence..by d time nigeria play friendlies wit a more better technical side,we will see d defensive frailities of ambrose. D attack is another problem area..it is obvious that without Emenike our attack is dead.cdeye shld be dropped and replaced wit Brght Dike.dat boy has proven dat he is an efficient striker..ahmed musd shld be dropped to d bench.he is too wasteful.d most problematic area for d team is d midfield.i think Kesh knows dis..super eagles has lost d vibrancy in d midfield since sunday mba has lost form..we played our best game in d midfield when mba combined wit onazi.i hope mba will regain his form back.and hopefully, if iheanacho can lift up his game to d national team level,then it will be a plus.MIKEL Obi is d problem we av in d midfeld..when he plays as an offensive player he slow down d attack by holding on to d ball unnecessarily, thereby making emenike to run into offside.MIKEL as a defensive player may work at d world cup becos d style of play of most Europeans is abt space marking wc is what Mikel does.he dnesnt help other players,he doesnt go for tackles,he always go for loose balls.d only thing i like him for is dat he guides his ball well and doesnt lose it easily.but he often overdo it sometimes
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Afritop(m): 12:09pm On Dec 15, 2013
Let's say they fix a friendly match against tahiti. If they are able to beat them and score more than 8 goals, then I am confident that we are able to do the same against a local government in Nigeria and capable of winning the world cup
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Fayrouzz(m): 12:22pm On Dec 15, 2013
I disagree wif ur no 4... When spain won the world, they were not ruthless. Most of their games was jst a 1-0 score line..

1 Like

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Omadachi(m): 1:53pm On Dec 15, 2013
If we must go far in Brazil,then Keshi need to be more objective in selecting player in the defence as we still have serious issues there.With the way our defence was useless by Italy in the last friendly,I almost lost confidence in the team.

Secondly,some work still have to be done in the mid-field.MIlkel can be dissapointing at times.

With Emineke,Ike Uche and Ozaze as strikers,we are good to go.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by naijanoni(m): 1:58pm On Dec 15, 2013
Fayrouzz: I disagree wif ur no 4... When spain won the world, they were not ruthless. Most of their games was jst a 1-0 score line..
True spain even lost their 1st match to switzerland.And all their wins even against small teams weren't more than 2 goals difference.
Germany were flogging big teams like argentina and england 4-0,but when they jammed spain,they couldnt do anything.
That is how naija is, we struggle to beat small teams 1-0,2-0 but that doesnt mean we won't beat ghana that flogged egypt 6-0.Or ivory coast that trash teams.
We struggled to beat ethiopia 2-0.By that game,many fans thought italy would flog us like 4-0,but we played well and drew 2-2.
Thats how d eagles are,they play according to d strength of d opponents.
In d group stage,If we can beat iran by like 2-0
Draw Bosnia 1-1
Draw argentina 1-1(I'm optimistic they won't beat us)
Then we're through to d next round.
But we have to try our best to beat bosnia to be on d safe side.E no go easy oh.
In the knock-out stages,what we ony need to do is win.
The way we win doesnt matter.Even if it's own goals we use to win matches.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Greatihex(m): 2:14pm On Dec 15, 2013
dedons: Whether they are ready or not,they must be thrashed by Argentina,Iran and Bosnia.

Click like if you agree
. It is ur wish, bt u re nt d 1 2 determine.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by victorazy(m): 3:48pm On Dec 15, 2013
Obasgilbert: i nor fit read am, abeg... e too long na!

He said FIFA wan giv Nig the World Cup but they are not sure if we'r ready to carry the cup home.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:01pm On Dec 15, 2013
Omadachi: If we must go far in Brazil,then Keshi need to be more objective in selecting player in the defence as we still have serious issues there.With the way our defence was useless by Italy in the last friendly,I almost lost confidence in the team.

Secondly,some work still have to be done in the mid-field.MIlkel can be dissapointing at times.

With Emineke,Ike Uche and Ozaze as strikers,we are good to go.
how can you say we have a weak defense and then suggest attackers to strengthen the team? We can't take Uche and Osaze, if we must take an old leg, we might as well take Uche who has proven he still knows where the goal post is, btw, Nsofor was at 2010 world cup too, what other experience do you want? If you must suggest old guys, Yobo should be more appropriate, we have guys that can score goals in Emenike, Ameobi, Dike and even Mikel when the need arises. And need I repeat myself that we used a TEAM B defense against Italy? 3 home-based players and Oboabona that plays for one unknown European club, commentators and analysts even praised those guys for holding their own against the likes of Balotelli and Rossi, in fact our defense was pretty solid that day, a weak defense would've conceded 3 or more goals
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by bizibrain(m): 4:52pm On Dec 15, 2013
safarigirl: in fact our defense was pretty solid that day, a weak defense would've conceded 3 or more goals
Nigeria home-base defenders were just 2 lucky dat day.

Italy lost almost a dozen of goal chances.Balotelli lost an irritating goal chance just very close infront of austin ejide, he was 2 close but he couldnt keep is shot down.Am sure Ideye brown will dere nt waste such chances unless he is cursed frm home.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Nobody: 6:28pm On Dec 15, 2013
I believe the boys are improving. They can perform well come 2014 in brazil.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by naijanoni(m): 6:33pm On Dec 15, 2013
Victor moses career don finish ooo!!!.Sturridge and gerrard injured and he still cant get into d starting XI.Imagine sterling,allen are ahead of him.His case is very worrying.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by bizibrain(m): 7:09pm On Dec 15, 2013
naija noni: Victor moses career don finish ooo!!!.Sturridge and gerrard injured and he still cant get into d starting XI.Imagine sterling,allen are ahead of him.His case is very worrying.
I just pity d poor guy, I would advice him 2 request a loan move 2 a bottom table team were he could play regularly, prove his worth and help his team 2 move up d table because dere is no more space 4 him@ STAMFORD BRIDGE after returning on loan frm liverpool.

His poor performance 4 liverpool is 2 alarming dan 2 make d starting line-up.

Though I love victor moses as a patriotic nd dedicated Nigerian but sentiment apart,I would av sell him off @ any price 2 any LEAGUE team if I happens 2 b his manager.

I stil dont understand Y he play trash 4 his club and play a wonderful game 4 his country.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by omar22(m): 9:12pm On Dec 15, 2013
Performing well at the world cup yes, but winning it? no chance, even reaching the semi-finals is extremely slim...

Winning the AFCON is one thing, but in the world cup requires maturity and experience and the current squad is a team recently put together if you look at Ghana who performed well in 2010 in South Africa, this was an aftermath of the 2006 were due to lack experience they lost Brazil and Italy. The world cup is not about the first 11, but the whole squad, I saw the game against Italy live at Craven Cottage, Nigeria played ok until when Italy sent on Pirlo who got us running from here to there with his blind passes!

The 2 goals came from Nigerian defenders ball watching. Please Please Please beating or Playing Burkina Faso is one thing, playing a team like Japan or Uruguay is a different approach.

1 Like

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:29pm On Dec 15, 2013
Didn't we play Uruguay at the Confeds? They won by a slim margin, save for Ideye, the other strikers were home based, abeg don't mention Uruguay, on a good day with our best strikers: Suarez for Emenike, Forlan for Ameobi/Nsofor/Dike, Uruguay can't win us
omar22: Performing well at the world cup yes, but winning it? no chance, even reaching the semi-finals is extremely slim...

Winning the AFCON is one thing, but in the world cup requires maturity and experience and the current squad is a team recently put together if you look at Ghana who performed well in 2010 in South Africa, this was an aftermath of the 2006 were due to lack experience they lost Brazil and Italy. The world cup is not about the first 11, but the whole squad, I saw the game against Italy live at Craven Cottage, Nigeria played ok until when Italy sent on Pirlo who got us running from here to there with his blind passes!

The 2 goals came from Nigerian defenders ball watching. Please Please Please beating or Playing Burkina Faso is one thing, playing a team like Japan or Uruguay is a different approach.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by obeski13(m): 10:04pm On Dec 15, 2013
I am not surprised at moses's predicament at liverpool..moses is never a team player.that was why chelsea coach dispensed wit him.he is too individualistic and his final pass is a let down.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 15, 2013

i agree with everything except number 5. though i am a christian, if you pray and do not train effectively, you are wasting your time. If nigeria and another christian country (italy, spain, ghana etc) are playing and both teams pray, who will God side? neither...in that case it will depend on how much you prepared for the game

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oshoala Scores A Brace As Barca Beat Deportivo 6-1. / Super Eagles AFCON 2023 provisional squad reportedly leaked / ESPN Ranks Oshoala Top African Female Player In Europe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.