Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,230 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup (11913 Views)

Flying Eagles Are The Winners Of The African Youth Championship / Revealed: Why Super Eagles Lost Against Congo On Saturday / Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Generalzod(m): 11:26am On Dec 14, 2013
Different comments and reactions have trailed and continue to trail the FIFA draws for next year’s World Cup which were held in Brazil last week.

Most convey a great deal of optimism (as it is with Nigerians) and vicious opinions that the Super Eagles are more than capable of triumphing over their group’s opponents, which comprises of the south American giants and two times world cup winners, Argentina; Asian minnows, Iran and European debutants Bosnia.

Although there is a consensus among football analysts the draw is “pro-Nigeria,” there are nibbling issues that still need to be worked on to avoid a tournament filled  with unnecessary palpitations and  the usual permutations.

Now, here are four reasons why you shouldn’t sit back and relax while sipping on that coffee (or whatever you drink) to relax just yet.

No defensive back up

I watched the eagles slog it out with the Italians in a recent international friendly in London. The 2-2 draw against the 2006 world cup champions may have earned the eagles praise and accolades from many but one cannot simply ignore the glaring fact of how feeble our defence was.

Yes, it is true that Coach Stephen Keshi went with a majorly different side after the first team had engaged in a thrilling world cup qualifying encounter against the Ethiopians two days before the friendly. It is quite worrisome however that we do not have deputies for the first team, especially at the center of the defence.

Worthy of mention is Ezubikwe, a stand in deputy for the brittle Omeruo. This is to say that if ever he had made a strong claim for a starting start in the team in the past, his performance against the Italians wasn’t convincing, as poor decision-making and lack of deft define his play against the Balotelli-led attack. However, he is big and strong – an accepted prerequisite for a defender. Yet we need a whole lot more than that to face the world’s best.

Instability

The media in the past few weeks has been awash with the not so pronounced feud between the governing football body and Keshi. The latter unhappy over unpaid arrears, and the former, disgruntled over his lack of tact in handling his grievances. Shameful right? Yes.

Unfortunately, this ignominy isn’t alien to African football in general, and even quite a few have taken it a notch further in washing their dirty linen outside during major tournaments. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen in Brazil. No team hoping to make a significant impact at the world cup can thrive with such instability and unrest amongst the people saddled with the responsibility of managing it.

Still not ruthless

The hallmark of every world cup champion, in most cases, is not just beating the very best but also getting the job done against the not so very good teams. Whilst many might hang on the ‘’there are no minnows in football’’ platitude, it would be rather insincere to look away from the fact that there are indeed teams one is not expected to beat but to trash.

It is however not surprising that we no longer instill fear “lesser” teams on the continent as we once did in the early 90s. This is not due to a sudden improvement in these teams, but rather, a consistent run of floundering performances we’ve produced against them in recent time. Let us not also forget that our expected triumph in the ‘’easy group’’ hinges on the fact that we have to get the job done against the smaller teams. And by getting the job done, I mean taking them to the cleaners. We face Iran and the little known Bosnia before we face Argentina.

Cohesive play and technicality

Have you ever watched a game involving an African team doing so well against a less than impressive European power house, then all of a sudden, five minutes to the stoppage time, inexperience and ‘’bad luck’’ rears its ugly head? Of course you have!

While we should leave the prayer warriors to fix the “bad luck,” experience and the culture of technical play can be instilled into the team to foster reliable play. The issue of a good cohesive play and technical approach to the game can never be over-emphasized. There are no doubts we have bulging talents, but there is a limited distance they can take us, and it is certainly not the NFF quarter-final target.

The Super Eagles have certainly awakened our belief and confidence with some slightly vintage performances in the past couple of months. Coupled with the fact that they won the African Nations Cup earlier in the year, people are certainly beginning to believe in the team again. However, just as Keshi has been quick to play down suggestions that the eagles have it easy, winning still always depends on how well prepared you are. The good thing is we still have a lot of time on our hands to start working.

http://thecityreporters.com/brazil-2014-four-reasons-the-eagles-are-super-not-ready/

3 Likes

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:41pm On Dec 14, 2013
5 Reasons why the Super Eagles will do well in Brazil

1. Team Spirit: For the first time in yeaes we have a team that is filled with guys who are happy with each other, no one is made to feel out of place, from the home-based players to the European players, Warri wolves to Chelsea, they are made to feel equal. They play together and pray together they joke around and make fun of each other. It is beleived that whatever happens in the locker room goes a long way in determining what happens on the pitch, so.....

2. Determination- With determination a blind man learns to sew, a deaf man plays Mozart and Mandela brought the end of apartheid. These guys don't want to make up the numbers in Brazil, they don't want to go home after Round of 16, they want to reach the semis and they can do whatever they set their mind to

3. The surprise factor: Even Nigerians don't know who will make that team, it may be you, it may be I or anybody...what more our opponents

4. Underdog factor: Just like no one expected much from them in AFCON, so is it now, they may not be feared now, but even the '94 team weren't feared when they started

5. Prayer: Yes, a lot of people may say this doesn't count, but I doubt Brazil would be 5-time World champions if they weren't so religious. Basically in God We Trust.

@OP, anybody can make a list for or against those points, it don't mean shaytl

25 Likes

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Generalzod(m): 9:14pm On Dec 14, 2013
You have written well..but if you'd take a moment out of ur undying devotion and love for the superEagles,and be a little bit more objective,you'd observe that the article doesn't say nigeria wud do badly at the world cup. Instead,it has only picked out issues that need to be worked on to achieve glory in Brazil,which you couldn't fault out..just like many Nigerians,we are optimistic and believe dis might be our very chance of making history,yet we are not blinded and like d article rightly put,"winning depends on how prepared you are"..m'am, you need a whole lot of dat as u have mentioned to be world champions in Brazil..thanks for reading anyways.
1. Team Spirit: For the first time in yeaes we have a team that is filled with guys who are happy with each other, no one is made to feel out of place, from the home-based players to the European players, Warri wolves to Chelsea, they are made to feel equal. They play together and pray together they joke around and make fun of each other. It is beleived that whatever happens in the locker room goes a long way in determining what happens on the pitch, so.....

2. Determination- With determination a blind man learns to sew, a deaf man plays Mozart and Mandela brought the end of apartheid. These guys don't want to make up the numbers in Brazil, they don't want to go home after Round of 16, they want to reach the semis and they can do whatever they set their mind to

3. The surprise factor: Even Nigerians don't know who will make that team, it may be you, it may be I or anybody...what more our opponents

4. Underdog factor: Just like no one expected much from them in AFCON, so is it now, they may not be feared now, but even the '94 team weren't feared when they started

5. Prayer: Yes, a lot of people may say this doesn't count, but I doubt Brazil would be 5-time World champions if they weren't so religious. Basically in God We Trust.

@OP, anybody can make a list for or against those points, it don't mean shaytl[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by bionicdude(m): 10:18pm On Dec 14, 2013
to be honest nigeria is a country u can't really predict when it comes to football competitions,sometimes they might play really well and sometimes they are an utter disappointment.So we should just keep our fingers crossed and wish them the best.

1 Like

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by ceo4eva: 10:18pm On Dec 14, 2013
Click 'Like' if U think Nigeria can win the World Cup Trophy in Brazil 2014

38 Likes

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by alotofgrace(m): 10:19pm On Dec 14, 2013
am not surprised....anything from general zod in smallville was always a lie
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by FRANKKUP(m): 10:21pm On Dec 14, 2013
Noted.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Dygeasy(m): 10:21pm On Dec 14, 2013
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by homesteady(m): 10:21pm On Dec 14, 2013
1) No defensive back up - That's the major advantage of CHAN, keshi will get to try out new defenders!

2) Instability - I don't think that's an issue undecided

3) Still not ruthless - Yea that's true to an extent! But who'll like to play against the africa champions?

4) Cohesive play and technicality - technicality, Yes!, Cohesive play, NOOO
Our boys play like a team!

2 Likes

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by LMAyedun(m): 10:23pm On Dec 14, 2013
Okay!
That one na your own be dat.. All I knw is that, we are winning that trophy in Brazil
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by tolu4you: 10:25pm On Dec 14, 2013
i bliv in dis team but i pray dat igberaga (pride) neva set in
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by dedons: 10:26pm On Dec 14, 2013
Whether they are ready or not,they must be thrashed by Argentina,Iran and Bosnia.

Click like if you agree

2 Likes

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Psychedelia(m): 10:26pm On Dec 14, 2013
alotofgrace: am not surprised....anything from general zod in smallville was always a lie

I think you're mixing him up with Lex Luthor.
The General Zod I know almost killed Superman.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Miscellaneous(m): 10:26pm On Dec 14, 2013
Super Eagles
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Nobody: 10:29pm On Dec 14, 2013
i nor fit read am, abeg... e too long na!
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by kobonaire(m): 10:30pm On Dec 14, 2013
If the same super eagles that played in the nations cup in January 2013 play in this World Cup then they will surely make us proud. Please note that when I say "same" I mean it figuratively and by that i mean:
1) the team plays cohesively and for each other.
2) the team plays with passion and hunger to attain the ultimate reward - evident in all their nations cup games including the tough draws
3) the players in the best form are fielded like Coach Keshi did regardless of the fact that the player was foreign based or in the local league. E.g. : The perfect blending of Sunday Mba and others.
4) The players play with confidence : like super eagles did when the played the "technically superior and more talented" Ivory Coast.
5) The team believes and respects the coach and his assistants. They also buy into their system and follow the game plans set out.
I believe that if the above 5 can be replicated again in 2014, they will surely make us proud.

1 Like

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Nobody: 10:32pm On Dec 14, 2013
grin
safarigirl: 5 Reasons why the Super Eagles will do well in Brazil

you av spoken well grin
safarigirl: 5 Reasons why the Super Eagles will do well in Brazil

you av spoken well
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by ziky2010(m): 10:35pm On Dec 14, 2013
We can't make it past quarter-final.I am not pessimistic but that is reality.First page things for the first time in my lifetime
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Positiveminds(m): 10:35pm On Dec 14, 2013
I wonder what General whatever meant to achieve with this thread. Kill the joy of Nigerians? E no go work for you. I have 1000 reasons why you will end up a FAILURE.

NANSENSEEEEEEEEE.

1 Like

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by nickz(m): 10:35pm On Dec 14, 2013
undecided undecided 2004 abi 2014

2 Likes

Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by oxaloacetate(f): 10:42pm On Dec 14, 2013
nickz: undecided undecided 2004 abi 2014

Nawaah ooh, thought I was the only one that saw it.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by sexLover1: 10:47pm On Dec 14, 2013
We are not ready because miley just tweeted her nude https://www.nairaland.com/1555868/18-miley-cyrus-just-tweeted
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by laughterclub(m): 10:47pm On Dec 14, 2013
WIN WAT? WORLD BELT?
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by izeek(m): 11:06pm On Dec 14, 2013
This team has a lot going for her, and that's what is going to see them through to a reasonable stage at the mundane.
.1. Youth. U might think want to disagree, but this is the youngest side that we have seen in a very long time in the Super Eagles.
2. Team spirit: so they might not be Neymar or Messi or even ribery, but they play for each other. They work hard and cover each person lapses as much as they can, and that what makes champions not individual skill. ( ask previous Spanish teams if individual skills got them anywhere)
3. The x factor: yes that x factor is the coach himself. He has something to prove, also being an ex_player and having gone to the world cup as a place he wants to prove to the world that it can be done. You might say he isn't a good coach, but good coaches don't necessarily win to trophies, but rather dedicated and committed coaches do.....
4: experience: what the team if 1994 lacked in experience I believe this bunch has more than made up for. We have players who play amongst the best regularly, players who knows what it means to either up or douse a match tempo, players who realise the importance of set piece and utilising opportunities. The E list could go on, just to mention a few.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Nobody: 12:02am On Dec 15, 2013
OUR SUBSTITUTE DEFENSE IS JUST USELESS! FACT!
I don't know how A Solomon Kwambe or an Agbunike will survive playing against the world best if the likes of Omeruo or Ambrose gets injured
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Richy4(m): 12:32am On Dec 15, 2013
The super Eagles may not win the world cup but I am proud they are among the best nations going to Brazil. God!!! you guys have no idea how much I bragged about my nation when I'm in the mist of my Australian, German and Chile friends at work. assuming we did not qualify for the world cup, hmmmm.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Nobody: 12:32am On Dec 15, 2013
No, Brazil is not ready for nigeria embarassed

Some paart of the Stadium collapsed undecided

Now there is the Flood issue
The recent Gay mass wedding kiss

Wait o! Are my seeing things @this time
Op, is The world cup in 2004 shocked shocked
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by seangy4konji: 12:47am On Dec 15, 2013
we might get our lacks but trust me this world cupwe will reach the semis...Note this and quote me because i will watch every match and i wont stand up and with the power God has given mei will make sure they reach the semis...so let them handle the final themselves...UP EAGLES!!!GO EAGLES!!!
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by nijanigga: 1:54am On Dec 15, 2013
seangy4konji: we might get our lacks but trust me this world cupwe will reach the semis...Note this and quote me because i will watch every match and i wont stand up and with the power God has given mei will make sure they reach the semis...so let them handle the final themselves...UP EAGLES!!!GO EAGLES!!!
When hopelessness turned to delusionment this will result to lunacy. No hope for common man in Nigeria who thinks football is the last option to give him joy. Nigeria will not make it past the group the stage. Just pray to live day by day until past June 2014, because in Nigeria,precious live has no value.
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by Nobody: 3:38am On Dec 15, 2013
And tell me which country is ready to. Win the world cup. Truth is every. Team has an equal chance. Lobatan
Re: Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup by iamdsam: 3:57am On Dec 15, 2013
Nigeria can win the world cup but my main concerns are our defence which needs to to be worked on in a very serious way and we should also try by all means not to easily concede goals.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Leganes Signs Kenneth Omeruo On Loan From Chelsea (Photo) / Should Nigeria Stick With Gernot Rohr Or Move Beyond His Era? / Nigeria To Play Catalunya (Spain) In Friendly Game

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.