Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,568 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) (27880 Views)

Breaking News: Shoprite Ikeja Sealed !!! / Shoprite Ibadan Imports Banana And Watermelon From Ghana And SA / 10 Types Of People You'll Probably Meet At Shoprite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 15, 2013
donodion:
grin ; grin Young girl,if i were you, i would jeje go delete all that post that has put you in hot soup.See as people are investigating you and posting your profiles shocked shocked shocked You should have left this forum for today quietly and never return to this thread. grin grin grin
am not deleting anything because of anybody! Why should I leave because of some crazy bunch of people. tongue tongue they don't know me oh! grin grin
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by jeffizy(m): 4:36pm On Dec 15, 2013
Olugbenger: The folks quoting me should STFU. angry

Do i have to state it's a joke?

grin grin grin
Medicine after Death.

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by donodion(m): 4:36pm On Dec 15, 2013
arcbabe: am not deleting anything because of anybody! Why should I leave because of some crazy bunch of people. tongue tongue they don't know me oh! grin grin
shocked shocked shocked ahhhh!Ofone!!. Very well then.
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by jeffizy(m): 4:36pm On Dec 15, 2013
Olugbenger: The folks quoting me should STFU. angry

Do i have to state it's a joke?

grin grin grin
Medicine after Death.
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 15, 2013
Decryptor: As far as it is Shoprite and i end up not being checked and found out by the security post, it is ok! These South African investors, MTN, DSTV are scamming us already! Allow the cashiers at shoprite to steal from them. Shoprite is the one at the recieving end

The usual shameless defence of crime as long as its against foreigners.

Those who scammed oyibos are scamming nigerians today via phishing sites

Those who kidnapped oyibos are kidnapping nigerians today.

Stop trying to make excuses for criminal behavior. It is actions like this that have destroyed nigerian businesses. The likes of you will be the first to complain of inhumane treatment for foreign bosses

7 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 15, 2013
donodion:
grin grin More like bio-data of a criminal record. grin grin.She doesnt know this cold stay for ages to come.
Do me a favour by telling your dad he is also a criminal grin Fucck off
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by AudreyI(f): 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2013
@OP: wow! This has happened to me before at the same shoprite in ikeja and I thought nothing of it. I remember the cashier said she couldn't scan about three items. Just like you I had made so many purchases so the scam went undetected.

I really hope the managers do something about this.
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by 3kay945(m): 5:06pm On Dec 15, 2013
mimicue:

Tips again so they expect tips from buying something at their store..so because I bought something I must give u tips and when I don't u don't scan d goods.... This is pure poverty mentality for crying out loud their laying them salary its not free...how can Nigeria grow when everybody is a thief in d society.....

Then the society will grow into thieving society cool
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by donodion(m): 5:12pm On Dec 15, 2013
arcbabe: Do me a favour by telling your dad he is also a criminal grin Fucck off
ok then,il play with you for a while since thats what you asked for.
You see years back when your mama excreted you,as a result of her been repeatedl sodomized by your drunk uncle,and i refer to the eldest,she knew you would end up like this.

You started with stealing sweets,coming home with pencils and materials which never belonged to you,taking things which you didnt earn but wish for them at all cost.
you further graduate to taking panties off line to wear to parties you were never invited to but to see if any available potential boyfriend,and i also refr to those boys from farm, could take you out for a while,with some cash to spare.

Your mama should have taken you to a prophet for most probably river bath,but she ended up taking quick rounds for free in the name of deliverance. Obvious,its your destiny to be a thief and N20-a-round call girl and blaming your situation on Na so Naija be.

Now do you want me to give you more.........or you are ready to behave.When next you see my handle DonOdion..think well before posting.

Its your call kleptogirl.

3 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 15, 2013
what kind of a human being is this Arcbabe? Totally shameless. See her face, oju ole re.

2 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by RedReact: 5:39pm On Dec 15, 2013
Caracta:

It's shameful. There is no hope for Nigeria. We made Nigeria what she is today...not just the politicians.
God bless you for this statement.
I read a thread today, though not related to business, and I immediately concluded that most of the people castigating the government for being corrupt have no moral stand of doing that, and 2 different things confirmed that to. If anyone wants to know the true character of some Nigerian employees, open up a business or firm and leave it under their supervision then come back after 2 weeks. Most of us have, due to temporal gain or benefit, sold out our conscience and will later be crying foul of downturns or misfortune at the end.
What a pity!!!

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by YesBwoss: 5:47pm On Dec 15, 2013
grin grin
Baba_Eleko: Naija na jungle. Everybody dey scam anybody ni. Worker scam shopper, shoprite scam Nigerians, Aunty stella scam aviation, FG scam ASUU, NNPC scam Federal reserve, Bode George say Tinubu scam am with false conviction so JONATHAN give BODE support to scam JUSTICE. grin grin
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 15, 2013
arcbabe: it doesn't kill to give them tips when am satisfied with their services instead I get blessed and get more than what I gave out grin

The Nigerian tipping system is the root of all evil - laziness
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by RedReact: 6:11pm On Dec 15, 2013
^^^
There is nothing wrong in tipping as long as it is freewill giving and not borne out of cutting corners (which is bribery), but many Nigerians see it as their right to be tipped to do what they are being paid to do. If one has the understanding of what is good and bad, one would reject that tip in the first place cos it has no meaning. Contentment is a virtue that is absent in many people's moral standing.

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Nobody: 6:13pm On Dec 15, 2013
Decryptor: As far as it is Shoprite and i end up not being checked and found out by the security post, it is ok! These South African investors, MTN, DSTV are scamming us already! Allow the cashiers at shoprite to steal from them. Shoprite is the one at the recieving end

This is a very short sited view, as will all know " for every action there's a reaction". Retail business success is based mostly on the ability to record the lowest shrinkage %. If any store starts recording high shrinkage volumes, it's over! Might as well pack up and go. Retail business depends on margins of product bought from other business. Retailers do not produce but re-sellers of products already payed for in an attemp to make 10-15% margin to pay for the running of the business that is, labour, rentals, eletricity, transport/logistics etc.

Please encourage that kind of thinking and I give Shoprite 2-3 years max before they pull out of Nigeria in Woolies steps. Now guess what, Nigeria risk assesment increases, investors start running away from Nigeria, loosing even the coins one was making as a cashier, packer, security etc.

Please do allow them to steal your future in the name of your irks with SA. Good one there!

2 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by touchmeder: 6:17pm On Dec 15, 2013
arcbabe: OP that is where cashiers get their money from,I have worked as a cashier before. You are very wicked trying to expose her and if they sack her what benefit will it be to you. If a product bought is scanned it will reflect in the invoice but if the product is not scanned it wouldn't reflect in the invoice and that is where cashier see their own money from. So they feel it is better not to scan the product so that it wouldn't reflect in the invoice and the money is theirs b'cos you can't scan a product that has already reflected in the invoice and take the money,they will have shortage of cash and the money will be deducted from their salary. So the trick is don't scan a product and it won't reflect in the invoice and the money is yours without you having any form of shortage.

And do you think THIS IS RIGHT?
is this the only country in the world where we have supermarkets?
if all cashiers acted in this manner what will remain of these stores?
if it were your business would you like to be fleeced in that manner??
i can bet you went to church today and shouted a big amen and lifted your holy hands
if that what the pastor taught you??
those of you that say Nigeria will not move on from yeye things like this, then know you are setting up yourself for disaster
if you dont want to work, MOVE ON
Do you know the number of people that wish to be trained and employed at shoprite
if your salary is too small, tender your resignation and let the next man take your space angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Nobody: 6:17pm On Dec 15, 2013
RedReact: ^^^
There is nothing wrong in tipping

I have never heard people tipping, police, cashiers, tipping for trolleys at the airport etc it creates an expectation and once this taken away people will take it by force.

Actually in many countries retail, bank etc its criminal to exchange cash with client at the till while doing your job.
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Beesluv: 6:21pm On Dec 15, 2013
donodion:
ok then,il play with you for a while since thats what you asked for.
You see years back when your mama excreted you,as a result of her been repeatedl sodomized by your drunk uncle,and i refer to the eldest,she knew you would end up like this.

You started with stealing sweets,coming home with pencils and materials which never belonged to you,taking things which you didnt earn but wish for them at all cost.
you further graduate to taking panties off line to wear to parties you were never invited to but to see if any available potential boyfriend,and i also refr to those boys from farm, could take you out for a while,with some cash to spare.

Your mama should have taken you to a prophet for most probably river bath,but she ended up taking quick rounds for free in the name of deliverance. Obvious,its your destiny to be a thief and N20-a-round call girl and blaming your situation on Na so Naija be.

Now do you want me to give you more.........or you are ready to behave.When next you see my handle DonOdion..think well before posting.

Its your call kleptogirl.

Hehehehe, u got me laughing. *No be today sef*

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by CGKing(m): 6:30pm On Dec 15, 2013
Afam4eva: The poverty condition in this country is mind bugging. I don't know why people must always creatively find an opportunity to scam.

I don't think so. I think Nigerians are generally just dishonest and that is what brings the poverty.
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by touchmeder: 6:43pm On Dec 15, 2013
CGKing:

I don't think so. I think Nigerians are generally just dishonest and that is what brings the poverty.

Yet one of the most spiritual folks you will see around the corner. Rows of churches on every street corner yet they condone corrupt practices and yahoo yahoo. See people saying they didnt cheat the op. Una get sense so?
If the business is constantly suffering losses and not making ends meet, prices would go even higher. Who will pay these higher costs? Is it not you and me? If the business suddenly packs up today because it is not making profit is it not the same thieving cashier that will be out of a job?

Please don't support evil, you curse the politicians, touts, your boss, the greedy kidnapper, armed robber etc
But you are stealing yourself or supporting the small thieves saying ''make poor man chop''.
See so called babes blabbing rubbish on the thread. You are the type that will deck up and steal a phone if someone mistakenly forgets it near you.
I dont blame some of these people sha, we have grown used to so much rubbish and seeing practices like these as normal. NO IT IS NOT NORMAL

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by biodunid: 7:19pm On Dec 15, 2013
I use Ikeja, Surulere and Lekki but have only noticed it at Ikeja.

dheaven: @ Op Is it only in Ikeja this things are happening?
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by biodunid: 7:21pm On Dec 15, 2013
Quite a few brands of non alcoholic beer. Becks is available at Goodies but Shoprite stocks Gerstel.

LankyBrosMedia: You bought non alcoholic beer? I didn't know they exist.
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by biodunid: 7:30pm On Dec 15, 2013
We all I believe have had occasions when Cashiers genuinely couldn't scan an item and had to call a supervisor in to manually type in a code or whatever. This scam was a variation on the legit practice which partly explains why I was caught unawares the first time. It wasn't until she took the cash without receipt and I was moving on that it struck me something critical was different.
hollandis:

I thought you are educated enough ,why would you go to a mall and buy a service and not get a receipt?
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by biodunid: 7:31pm On Dec 15, 2013
The Association of Certified fraud Examiners (ACFE) which I belong to defines this particular scam as Skimming. Do you have a different PROFESSIONAL opinion?

hollandis:

When she said it couldn't be scanned ,why didn't you corrobate that info with other cashiers.Why didn't you ask questions.Are you a kid? Are you easily swayed?
Most of the things we feel are problems in Nigeria are actually because we fail to speak out.What if the cashiers story is true?Did you go and find out from the store manager? And how is that related to scamming Do you even know the definition of scam?
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by stagger: 7:34pm On Dec 15, 2013
arcbabe: OP that is where cashiers get their money from,I have worked as a cashier before. You are very wicked trying to expose her and if they sack her what benefit will it be to you. If a product bought is scanned it will reflect in the invoice but if the product is not scanned it wouldn't reflect in the invoice and that is where cashier see their own money from. So they feel it is better not to scan the product so that it wouldn't reflect in the invoice and the money is theirs b'cos you can't scan a product that has already reflected in the invoice and take the money,they will have shortage of cash and the money will be deducted from their salary. So the trick is don't scan a product and it won't reflect in the invoice and the money is yours without you having any form of shortage.

It is people like you that come to Shiloh to steal and then carry curses down their family lines. God help you not to ever work in any of my companies. You would be strolling your village streets with madness.

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by biodunid: 7:34pm On Dec 15, 2013
That is the cost of a half kg of almonds in Nigeria. I know it is a lot cheaper than this in the US but welcome to naija. Abi make I no chop healthy nuts just because of cost? I bet you don't complain if your date spends more than that on wine etc so why the alarm over my provisioning my larder appropriately so I can stay home and eat healthy?

hollandis:

what is Almond that it should cost 2500 ? 20 dollars .Isn't that scam itself .Why would you pay for an inflated price .Is it not almond .BTW what do you mean almond ..is it the nuts or what .You mean you bought a 20 dollars worth bag of almond ..Is that not sickening? sad
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by biodunid: 7:39pm On Dec 15, 2013
My practice even when I pay with cards is to tip but we hadn't even concluded the transaction so that bridge hadn't been crossed. These were simply two criminally minded cashiers that I met on two occasions in Shoprite. Makes me wonder how pervasive the scam is there and how much Shrinkage their stock is suffering.

arcbabe: Don't mind the OP na over sabi dey worry am,cashiers coperate a lot with each other and even if he report her they will cover her up. Am sure he bought all those items without giving her tips and now she collected it by not scanning some goods and he is complaining.
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by stagger: 7:41pm On Dec 15, 2013
andyanders: If you go the filling stations here in Nigeria, most ladies who serve as the attendants are pure robbers.Never look at their faces when dispensing fuel to your car. They will be cheating you and same time smiling to kill you.
Employing ladies now in Nigeria is a real problem. My wife opened a big supermarket and employed a female sales girl she now started looking too beautiful to her class and I asked my wife to take stock and behold, the lady had already taken over 1 million naira and we put up a trap and she was caught. She normally has someone that comes to the store and she hands over some items and money to the guy and her family members when nobody was with her and I secretly installed a hidden camera and it caught and recorded all what she was doing and she was arrested and dismissed.

You see? I don't want to describe how two female pump attendants tried to rip me off 500 bucks. Shame!
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Naijamericana: 7:43pm On Dec 15, 2013
Cashiers are given tips For doing what exactly? For doing their job? OMG, things are worse than I imagined! shocked

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by biodunid: 7:43pm On Dec 15, 2013
That definitely doesn't apply to me. When I don't pay cash I bring out N500 / N1000 from my pocket and hand it over. Sometimes I don't get thanked or even acknowledged but one does it for God and in recognition of the fact that these are low wage jobs. However not every store allows tipping even in the Ikeja Mall.

arcbabe: some will have little change remaining and they will be waiting to collect it. cheesy
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Naijamericana: 7:46pm On Dec 15, 2013
Nigeria is something else, I am beginning to understand what my father was saying when he said "If you are going to do business in Nigeria, better make sure you account for leakages."
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by biodunid: 7:49pm On Dec 15, 2013
ACFE (IIA too btw) will tell you Skimming can't be tackled by taking stock. that is obviously medicine after death. With dozens of Cashiers who do you hold for stock shrinkage?

hollandis:

many things you feel are not worth it in Nigeria are actually worth a lot .There is nothing immoral in giving tips .If you don't give tips over here ,next time you are waiting to be served ,you will be given a bad service .If you feel that you wanna report it to management ,,they have a union ..so next time funky give a tip or not.
Of course they shouldnt steal from employers but employers should also perform inventory on their goods and not depend on cashiers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

4 Online Businesses With Low Startup Capital That Will Make You Rich In 2018 / Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal / Erisco Vs Chioma Okoli: CNN, Dailystar, Reddit, Others Feature Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.