Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,879 members, 7,828,130 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria (29963 Views)

Poll: Would you like to work in a bank for more than 5 years

yes: 24% (8 votes)
no: 54% (18 votes)
not sure: 21% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

The Hard Truth About Your Salary / Wema Bank Pay Package. / First Bank Pay Now 2.2 Million Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by dlox01(m): 2:40pm On Aug 01, 2008
Orikinla:

Read the post on http://forum.jobscentral.com.sg/showthread.php?t=38.

Working in a good bank gives you long term job security and in a country like Nigeria, job security is top priority for anyone who wants to keep his sanity.[color=#990000]if ur in da marketting dept n u dont meet their outrageous targets,u should be prepared to hit extinction

It is precarious to be self-employed in Nigeria.

The banking boom in Nigeria is good news for young graduates who need good jobs to earn good salaries and live well in an underdeveloped country.
i agree
The best place to work is not in a bank or oil company, but consultancy firms like Accenture and KPMG NAH!! i really dont agree with u on that one o!!accenture n kpmg staff dont earn as much as the oil boys(shell,agip,chevron,total,NNPC,total)iv got my friends in accenture n in KPMG and i work in an oil company n i know what we take home. or the offices of the United Nations and Aid agencies in Nigeria. They pay more and they give you more global opportunities without much stress.you fail to realise that the oil companies are not only in that line any more there is also the Gas segment which will take over in due time,the level of employment and opportunities outside this country is wide and vast,the oil and gas sector is in everyway larger than these consultancies.do u know howmany consultanies compete for one job in the oil sector?how many staff are employed to carry out this job?it wont match 1/10th of the department that would carry out that same job and pay thier staff xtra
Bank workers are not really well paid in Nigeria if you rate them by the man-hours required to earn these six-digit and seven-digit salaries.
Nigerian bank workers are overworked and too much executive stress.oh yes, very tru grin

[/color]
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by dlox01(m): 3:14pm On Aug 01, 2008
@emekauzor
i like the breakdown of your analysis on the banking sector,u must have put in some xtra effort to gather such info,although u dint get everything on point but ur close in terms of figures,now i want u to correct this line,

In terms of pay, the Oil boys may be ahead initially [color=#990000]they will always be ahead but the problem is that they hardly get promoted unlike a banker that can become a BM within 4-5years whereas your friend in the oil sector is just about getting his 1st promotion and a time is coming when money might not be important again but positions. that is why you see people introducing themselves as Head of this and that while your friend in the oil industry is still saying yes sir to the same Oga he has been saying it to for 5 years.[/color], dont even go there, what are the bases of promotions in the banking sector?the fastest pople to rise in the sector are those that hit thier financial targets and not those that have the capacity to run the operations of the bank.u really cant compare these cadre of people in the oil sector because u wouldnt believe the training they undergo,locally and internationally.the entry level of the banking sector is not streamlined to the courses the staff obtained and due to the strict targets hung on them with little or no time,they find it very hard to upgrade themselves and also due to the poor iniciatives of the managment of most of these banks they wouldnt even send these people for courses to upgrade them,u end up seeing that 5yrs later,what u started with is what u still have when u friends in the oil sector have Msc,ACA,, PHD, other degreez that would position them for anther offer in thesame sector that would still pay better than your BM.

Truly speaking, the best thing you can do for yourself is to be self employed.

I have read about bankers and I just can not help laughing at times. Banking is not all about marketing and begging for money. There are other technical depts. --- financial control, treasury, credit admin etc.
im not really comparing the oil and banking sector coz the oil sector still rules okay grinYou never know how far until you're in the system, yep ur very right grin
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by femi4love(m): 4:35pm On Aug 01, 2008
Babalaw0:

@kolexinfos

You complain about experienced and not getting a bank job yet, you quoted numbers as email address?! little things like that counts!, Back to schl bro.

Mustay:

original babalawo grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin I love this Nairaland. Anytime I need a good laugh, I know where to go!
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by onyx79(m): 7:12pm On Aug 01, 2008
How hard is it for one to make a mid-career transition to banking? say, you have been in pharmaceutical sales for like 5yrs and still under 30. Which banks would u recommend?
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by eduaustin(m): 2:42pm On Aug 02, 2008
@onyx79,
Well u can apply to any of the banks of your choice as long as you can convince them what you are bringing to the table based on your sales experience.
Oil & Gas pays much better but that is when u are in any of the producing companies and a few of the multinational servicing companies.
Banks pay are still higher as its one of the industry that i a making things easier for some of us graduates. I
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by ehie007(m): 9:25pm On Aug 02, 2008
let me tell you guys about Fidelity Bank
Fidelity Bank has so many entry levels,
BT1- N1m per Annum (graduates that come out with 2.2 with no experience)
BT2- N1.3m oer annum (graduates that come out with 2.2 with a few months experience) or how you bargain ur way in or who brought you in.)
EAT- N1.5 (graduates with 2.1 or HND (distinction)
EA- 2.3 (depends , may be for people that went to private school and have a 2.1)
ET- 2.7-2.9 (who brought you in or fresher with foreign university degree with no masters)

Fidelty Bank is one bank that discriminates a lot, they are so much concerned about class of degree and private and government universities,
they dont have a detailed structured recruitment process.

wont advice any fresher with 2.2 to apply to Fidelity, cos you willl get frustrated, when you see ur mates in other banks are 4 step above you.

if you have experience with other banks, fidelity will be a good place for a switch over.
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by emekauzor(m): 1:19am On Aug 04, 2008
dlox01:

@emekauzor
i like the breakdown of your analysis on the banking sector,u must have put in some xtra effort to gather such info,although u dint get everything on point but your close in terms of figures,now i want u to correct this line,

In terms of pay, the Oil boys may be ahead initially [color=#990000]they will always be ahead but the problem is that they hardly get promoted unlike a banker that can become a BM within 4-5years whereas your friend in the oil sector is just about getting his 1st promotion and a time is coming when money might not be important again but positions. that is why you see people introducing themselves as Head of this and that while your friend in the oil industry is still saying yes sir to the same Oga he has been saying it to for 5 years.[/color], don't even go there, what are the bases of promotions in the banking sector?the fastest pople to rise in the sector are those that hit their financial targets and not those that have the capacity to run the operations of the bank.u really can't compare these cadre of people in the oil sector because u wouldnt believe the training they undergo,locally and internationally.the entry level of the banking sector is not streamlined to the courses the staff obtained and due to the strict targets hung on them with little or no time,they find it very hard to upgrade themselves and also due to the poor iniciatives of the managment of most of these banks they wouldnt even send these people for courses to upgrade them,u end up seeing that 5yrs later,what u started with is what u still have when u friends in the oil sector have Msc,ACA,, PHD, other degreez that would position them for anther offer in thesame sector that would still pay better than your BM.

Truly speaking, the best thing you can do for yourself is to be self employed.

I have read about bankers and I just can not help laughing at times. Banking is not all about marketing and begging for money. There are other technical depts. --- financial control, treasury, credit admin etc.
im not really comparing the oil and banking sector because the oil sector still rules okay grinYou never know how far until you're in the system, yes your very right grin

much as you disagree with some issues I would also disagree with what you think, but the bottom line is banking basically is marketing you need money to boost your banking operations well not everyone will be at the field.

ehie007:

let me tell you guys about Fidelity Bank
BT2- N1.3m oer annum (graduates that come out with 2.2 with a few months experience) or how you bargain your way in or who brought you in.)
EA- 2.3 (depends , may be for people that went to private school and have a 2.1)
ET- 2.7-2.9 (who brought you in or fresher with foreign university degree with no masters)

Fidelty Bank is one bank that discriminates a lot, they are so much concerned about class of degree and private and government universities,
they don't have a detailed structured recruitment process.

wont advice any fresher with 2.2 to apply to Fidelity, because you willl get frustrated, when you see your mates in other banks are 4 step above you.

if you have experience with other banks, fidelity will be a good place for a switch over.

well not much to say but every bank has its way of rating so let's leave it at that but in any case fidelity is a good bank
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by cold(m): 12:02pm On Aug 04, 2008
For all the talk about banking,i just see it as modern day enslavement,especially with the new generation banks.Enter international NGOs or local NGOs with intnl affiliations and your jaws will drop in awe of their remuneration.Coupled with constant training and human capacity development,NGOs is where its at for me.
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by aruzuoke(m): 1:01pm On Aug 04, 2008
that is a vey nice info. Let us get the job first before anything.
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by EnnyP(f): 3:08pm On Aug 04, 2008
what do u say to d use of contract staff. some banks make it so bad and humiliating. they're treated as if they're nobody. the discrimination makes it look like,

angry
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by delino: 8:00pm On Aug 04, 2008
my guys,i think working in the bank is a great thing but one thing i frawn at is WOMEN working in the bank.

i dont think women should work in the bank.

what does the house think
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by frag(m): 8:14pm On Aug 04, 2008
Wetin women do u?
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by kofobode(f): 9:20am On Aug 05, 2008
there is nothing as good as making your own money, private business ownership, you decide your pay
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by babaogun(m): 11:04am On Aug 05, 2008
@negative commentaries on oceanic

I think people who havent worked with any bank should not castigate such banks, i once worked with oceanic bank and i know as a matter of fact that my peers could not match me salary for salary or exposure/experience for exposure/experience.
It had very simple procedural welfare benefits and when i resigned, i got close to half a million naira from my Staff savings scheme, dont know a few banks that do that, remember, these were deductions from our salary, and with these deductions my salary was competitive and i was having cash flows in my account at least every two weeks, quarterly, semi-annually-----beat that.

Oceanic never had differential pay (unless offcourse maybe at top management level) until i resigned just before my study leave expired last year.

Oceanic bank occassionally had IT problems, but was transparent with its fees and charges.

It was also a retail bank that also focussed on grassroots, this allowed banking halls to be jam packed (maybe negative).

As per quality of staff, every bank has got below average to super stars, so did oceanic, and for everyone who has had a bad experience with oceanic, there are 23 other guys who have had same situation with all other banks.

I have info on salary structure in almost all major banks with payslip and bank statements as proof, alot of guys just post salary scales of various banks without facts and i laugh alot.
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by loffers(m): 10:53pm On Aug 06, 2008
kolexinfos which other qualification do you have.
first degree or second degree will be a very good advantage, then ur age also determines whether u are elligible or n ot
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by emekauzor(m): 12:26pm On Aug 07, 2008
babaogun:

@negative commentaries on oceanic

I think people who havent worked with any bank should not castigate such banks, i once worked with oceanic bank and i know as a matter of fact that my peers could not match me salary for salary or exposure/experience for exposure/experience.
It had very simple procedural welfare benefits and when i resigned, i got close to half a million naira from my Staff savings scheme, don't know a few banks that do that, remember, these were deductions from our salary, and with these deductions my salary was competitive and i was having cash flows in my account at least every two weeks, quarterly, semi-annually-----beat that.

Oceanic never had differential pay (unless offcourse maybe at top management level) until i resigned just before my study leave expired last year.

Oceanic bank occassionally had IT problems, but was transparent with its fees and charges.

It was also a retail bank that also focussed on grassroots, this allowed banking halls to be jam packed (maybe negative).

As per quality of staff, every bank has got below average to super stars, so did oceanic, and for everyone who has had a bad experience with oceanic, there are 23 other guys who have had same situation with all other banks.

I have info on salary structure in almost all major banks with payslip and bank statements as proof, alot of guys just post salary scales of various banks without facts and i laugh alot.

i share in your view my dear babaogu but then the reality is that most banks promote their staffs based on perfomance based on what you bring for them for instance if you bring in more money surpassing your targets you are called "eshin" which means great one and I know in the case of oceanic if you bring in more dough Mama Cecelia may decide to open a branch for you

its all good
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by ebhoken: 5:36pm On Aug 07, 2008
emekauzor, what about diamond bank? my friend just got an offer as entry level in both db and gtb,what do u advise?
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by El(m): 3:11pm On Aug 12, 2008
@ Emeka, nice one. But the part of their IT infrastructure, they've a very,very,very,very, long way to go, the whole bunch of them. It sickens me to notice how backward our industries are , regarding IT. No Information security(sorry, our server is down), no Information systems(outdated, legacy systems are being used).
Intercontinental Bank has got to be the worst, when it comes to ATM services. jeez!

Seriously, they need to work on their IT, cos thats the engine that drives any information-driven business.
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by Boslo: 9:44am On Aug 13, 2008
does anybody know what the pay is like in union bank
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by FlyDiva(f): 10:23pm On Sep 04, 2008
i totally agree with you orikinla, now how does one get these jobs with consultancy firms and aid agencies?
can you help?
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by FlyDiva(f): 10:31pm On Sep 04, 2008
@cold
pls could you hook a sista up. how do i get there?
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:50pm On Sep 05, 2008
pls the house shld help me by telling me when next any of these banks will neet those for entry level to submit CV?pls an urgent reply is needed
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by dremoney(m): 4:50pm On Mar 22, 2012
ehie007: let me tell you guys about Fidelity Bank
BT2- N1.3m oer annum (graduates that come out with 2.2 with a few months experience) or how you bargain ur way in or who brought you in.)

they dont have a detailed structured recruitment process.

wont advice any fresher with 2.2 to apply to Fidelity, cos you willl get frustrated, when you see ur mates in other banks are 4 step above you.

Hi nice one.

Pls do you still have an idea how much first bank and fidelity pays an ABO? Also is Diamond bank any better? Tnx
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by dremoney(m): 11:22am On Apr 05, 2012
Hi nice one.

Pls do you still have an idea how much first bank and fidelity pays an ABO? Also is Diamond bank any better? Tnx

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by tpiadotcom: 7:34pm On Jul 16, 2015
Re: The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria by loisaleburu: 3:18pm On Jan 15, 2016
please how much does wema bank pay their their customer service

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wyse Or Pye Tutorial Centre? / He Was Fired After Performing An "Impossible" Task / Should I Quit My Present Job For A Federal Government Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.