Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward (2162 Views)

Ex-president Jonathan Replies Buhari / Open Letter To Jonathan: Asari Dokubo Replies Obasanjo / Jonathan Replies Obasanjo, Says letter Is Self-Serving, Provocative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by johntousin(m): 1:43pm On Dec 16, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan on Sunday categorized former president Olusegun Obasanjo among those he called “spineless cowards” driven by “sheer greed and indecency”, in an outburst over allegations he has authorized the training of a killer squad ahead of the 2015 elections.

The president said those peddling the allegation that snipers are being trained by his government should better substantiate the claim or “shut up forever.”

“President Jonathan is running a people’s government. He does not need any snipers. His legitimacy comes from the people,” the president’s spokesperson, Reuben Abati, said in a statement late Sunday. “Those who are alleging the existence of snipers should step forward and provide the evidence or shut up forever and go down in history as spineless cowards, driven by sheer greed and indecency.”

The allegation first came to light in an 18-page letter by Mr. Obasanjo to the president.

On Sunday, the opposition All Progressives Congress, APC, citing Mr. Obasanjo’s letter, told the president in a statement it was unbothered by any scale of ruthlessness of his government against dissent, and vowed a “stiff resistance” henceforth against acts of impunity by the Jonathan administration.

The president rebuked the APC’s allegation as a “false copy-cat” that clearly shows that the party was in “cahoots with other elements who are bent on discrediting his administration and inciting the public against it.

Though coming as a response to APC’s earlier statement, the president’s angry reply also appeared a subtle response to Mr. Obasanjo’s scorching letter, in which he accused the president of corruption, ineptitude and impunity.

Sunday’s response would be the presidency’s second since PREMIUM TIMES published Mr. Obasanjo’s letter Wednesday.

Also, the remarks would be the presidency’s first direct reply to any of the numerous issues raised by Mr. Obasanjo in the 18-page letter.

Besides the purported training of snipers, the former president also accused Mr. Jonathan of currently keeping over 1,000 people on his political watch list, and secretly acquiring weapons, for political purposes, for a killer squad, comparable to the Abacha-era hit squad.

Mr. Obasanjo said the “snipers” were being trained at the same place the late Head of State, Sani Abacha, trained his own killer squad.

“Allegation of keeping over 1000 people on political watch list rather than criminal or security watch list and training snipers and other armed personnel secretly and clandestinely acquiring weapons to match for political purposes like Abacha and training them where Abacha trained his own killers, if it is true, it cannot augur well for the initiator, the government and the people of Nigeria,” Mr. Obasanjo said in the letter dated December 2.
http://premiumtimesng.com/opinion/151524-jonathan-replies-obasanjo-prove-hit-squad-allegation-remain-coward.html
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Mandelaguy(m): 1:57pm On Dec 16, 2013
It is rather too unfortunate that such a matured and old man like Obasanjo will come out to accuse Jonathan of training snipers without having any serious evidence to back his claim up.
I read Obasanjo's letter and came to the irresistible conclusion that the former President was very desperate to whip up public sentiments against Jonathan. According to him, he heard that Jonathan was training snipers and placing 1000 people on watch list.
Even if Obasanjo doesn't want to disclose his source, he should have at least provided the location of the training and other little details that will make any serious minded Nigerian to take him serious.

But he just made an empty allegation without no iota of evidence based on hearsay.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Bukkyade: 2:01pm On Dec 16, 2013
Obasanjo just lied. Simple. You don't need a truth detector to detect that. He is such a mischievous old man.
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Nobody: 2:03pm On Dec 16, 2013
Is this the much anticipated response from the President's camp?
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by ubandire(m): 2:05pm On Dec 16, 2013
Mandelaguy: It is rather too unfortunate that such a matured and old man like Obasanjo will come out to accuse Jonathan of training snipers without having any serious evidence to back his claim up.
I read Obasanjo's letter and came to the irresistible conclusion that the former President was very desperate to whip up public sentiments against Jonathan. According to him, he heard that Jonathan was training snipers and placing 1000 people on watch list.
Even if Obasanjo doesn't want to disclose his source, he should have at least provided the location of the training and other little details that will make any serious minded Nigerian to take him serious.

But he just made an empty allegation without no iota of evidence based on hearsay.

You are very correct. The onus lies on a person who alleges to prove. OBJ did not furnish a strand of evidence whatsoever in proof of such a grave allegation. It was very petty of him to say "he heard".

You cannot go to press with such a heavy allegation relying on hearsay. That was very disingenuous of the former president.
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by strangest(m): 2:10pm On Dec 16, 2013
OBJ has no prove... what kind of human being makes an allegation without a prove... ONLY A M0R0N...

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by donphilopus: 2:10pm On Dec 16, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan on Sunday categorized former president Olusegun Obasanjo among those he called “spineless cowards” driven by “sheer greed and indecency”.

Obasanjo is now a coward, because they're not in good terms again!! Wtf! Abati is just running his mouth, just to save his job.
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Mallamabdul: 2:10pm On Dec 16, 2013
ilugunboy: Is this the much anticipated response from the President's camp?

I don't think this is all. It may just be a sharp response to the criminal allegations raised by Obasanjo that borders on threat to human life.
In the days ahead, I believe more will come. Let's just keep our fingers crossed and watch things unfold.
These are indeed interesting times in our polity.
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Mallamabdul: 2:13pm On Dec 16, 2013
Baba wanted to paint GEJ black and so he was just dishing out both truths, half truths and naked lies.
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Reptyle(m): 2:15pm On Dec 16, 2013
Jonathan, keep your response and save Nigeria!!!
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Dollarman101: 2:25pm On Dec 16, 2013
grin cheesy grin I no fit laugh Abeg. See the kettle calling the glass cup black. grin grin Nigeria is a theatre of drama and absurdity.
Who no know OBJ for this town? see who is accusing GEJ of training Snipers. President Olusegun Mathhew Aremu Okikiola Obasanjo? You can just imagine. This dude just feels Nigerians dey suffer from acute Amnesia otherwise I don't see how OBJ go get mind accuse GEJ of that kind thing.

Who kill Bola Ige? Who kill Marshal Harry? Who kill Dikibo? Whoose tenure witnessed massive assassination of political chieftains?
Everybody knows Uncle JONA no get that kind mind. You can accuse of Jonathan of anything but not political intimidation and assassination.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by AbujafarImam: 2:28pm On Dec 16, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]I am just watching...
Expected something weightier...
undecidedI am just watching...
Expected something weightier...
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Mekusnwa: 2:29pm On Dec 16, 2013
That letter would come as a surprise to anybody who doesn't know Obasanjo very well. He behaves like the proverbial Chicken which scatters and destroys anything he can't grab to chew. I'm not surprised

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by omenka(m): 2:36pm On Dec 16, 2013
I can bet my last breath Abati would live to regret his words.
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by uzomagic(m): 2:39pm On Dec 16, 2013
Mandelaguy: It is rather too unfortunate that such a matured and old man like Obasanjo will come out to accuse Jonathan of training snipers without having any serious evidence to back his claim up.

I was so disappointed with Obasanjo when I got to that part of the letter. It was so childish and very unprofessional of the former President.
He said he heard but has not confirmed if its true. He now proceeded on the assumption that "if it's true,". Kai! A Statesman in the mould of Obasanjo shouldn't have gone ahead to write on such a weighty allegation on the basis of assumptions. What was he thinking?
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Naijagunner83: 2:51pm On Dec 16, 2013
In a saner country, OBJ would have been sued for this reckless statement but this is Nigeria where every thing is politicised and sensationalized. Even if GEJ decides to take that action, many will criticise him for being vindictive against the former President. I know Nigeria too well

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Nobody: 2:53pm On Dec 16, 2013
omenka: I can bet my last breath Abati would live to regret his words.

He will surely regret it...that is certain.
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Puntae: 2:55pm On Dec 16, 2013
omenka: I can bet my last breath Abati would live to regret his words.

Why will he regret it? For defending his boss from rampaging and malicious attacks of Obasanjo? Where Were you when OBJ unleasehed the likes of FFK, Akin Osuntokun, Ojo Maduekwe to attack anyone who dared talk Ill of that administration?
Many of you here on Nairaland need some tutorials on Nigeria's political history

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by checkfidel: 3:18pm On Dec 16, 2013
It is quite unfortunate that a former president of a country like Nigeria will come out to vent his frustration on the pages of newspapers
knowing fully well the effect on the polity. Accusation of training a killer squad and having names of 1000 persons to slaughter is grievious and heinous which should not be coming from a man in the capacity of ex-president.
I quess the level of desperation is exceeding its threshold thus such ulterances.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Jazz247: 3:27pm On Dec 16, 2013
A short proverb for Reuben Abati:
Won ni omode o mela, oloun mela katakata, meaning a child who knows nothing claiming he knows it all to an elder. Am sure Abati will go to Baba Iyabo for forgiveness sooner or later for that statement.I dey laugh in Chinese .
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by omenka(m): 3:37pm On Dec 16, 2013
Puntae:

Why will he regret it? For defending his boss from rampaging and malicious attacks of Obasanjo? Where Were you when OBJ unleasehed the likes of FFK, Akin Osuntokun, Ojo Maduekwe to attack anyone who dared talk Ill of that administration?
Many of you here on Nairaland need some tutorials on Nigeria's political history

Toddler talking about history. Oomf.

Posterity will surely favour Obj on this one. People are slinging mud at him that he has no moral right to write such a letter. How many "good men" of his stature, as regards age and politics, have raised a finger against this morbidly immoral govt whose actions do nothing but breed retrogression? Or has it become more honourable to be silent in the face of evil
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Ngokafor(f): 4:17pm On Dec 16, 2013
Puntae:

..good question,i guess they were all deaf,dumb and blind at that time cos Obasanjo was their 'brother'..
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Gamji007: 4:21pm On Dec 16, 2013
ilugunboy: Is this the much anticipated response from the President's camp?

What else can they say? Jonathan never wastes time to respond to allegations (eventhough in a daft manner) through Abati or his bigger dog Okupe in the past. For them to say they will respond in the appropriate time means they have nothing to say.
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by khamas19: 4:25pm On Dec 16, 2013
...jonathan....
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by 9jii(m): 4:32pm On Dec 16, 2013
How many times that letter will be reply?
18 times?
the truth stands firm
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Puntae: 4:36pm On Dec 16, 2013
omenka:

Toddler talking about history. Oomf.

Posterity will surely favour Obj on this one. People are slinging mud at him that he has no moral right to write such a letter. How many "good men" of his stature, as regards age and politics, have raised a finger against this morbidly immoral govt whose actions do nothing but breed retrogression? Or has it become more honourable to be silent in the face of evil

What do you know about posterity? OBJ's letter is akin to a notorious armed robber who embarks on an anti robbery campaign. No sane mind will take him seriously. His motives are induced by self serving political interest and not altruistic in anyway.

I mentioned history because History Reminds us of the failings of the past and guides us to avoid the pitfalls ahead. OBJ's history is replete with sufficient misdeeds and atrocities that we cannot forget in a hurry. He has a rich history of framing up and blackmailing people out of power and that is what he Intends to achieve in this letter. If you doubt it, ask Audu Ogbeh, Atiku and his likes.

It is only logical that one should not put forward allegations which he is not sure of. But OBJ threw everything in the mix including this baseless allegation that "Jonathan is training snipers" in a failed bid to demonise GEJ. Only f.ools will buy that. Not me.
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by omenka(m): 4:39pm On Dec 16, 2013
strangest: OBJ has no prove... what kind of human being makes an allegation without a prove... ONLY A M0R0N...

And only an Illiterate m0r0n doesn't know the difference between prove and proof.
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by citizenY(m): 4:42pm On Dec 16, 2013
i EXPECTED A POINT BY POINT RESPONSE
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 16, 2013
omenka:

And only an Illiterate m0r0n doesn't know the difference between prove and proof.

grin grin grin grin grin

He is a product of Ochanja High School..
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Reptyle(m): 4:46pm On Dec 16, 2013
Puntae:

What do you know about posterity? OBJ's letter is akin to a notorious armed robber who embarks on an anti robbery campaign. No sane mind will take him seriously. His motives are induced by self serving political interest and not altruistic in anyway.

I mentioned history because History Reminds us of the failings of the past and guides us to avoid the pitfalls ahead. OBJ's history is replete with sufficient misdeeds and atrocities that we cannot forget in a hurry. He has a rich history of framing up and blackmailing people out of power and that is what he Intends to achieve in this letter. If you doubt it, ask Audu Ogbeh, Atiku and his likes.

It is only logical that one should not put forward allegations which he is not sure of. But OBJ threw everything in the mix including this baseless allegation that "Jonathan is training snipers" in a failed bid to demonise GEJ. Only f.ools will buy that. Not me.

So even if your armed robber has ideas that will help you reduce the level of armed robbery in your neighborhood, you would ignore it because you are worried about whether he is altruistic or not abi? i am not under any illusion that Obasanjo is a saint! He probably should have done much more as a president than he achieved. However, that still doesn't negate the fact that he raised some burning issues affecting our present and having the capacity to negatively impact our future.

President Jonathan is performing way below expectation and his anti-corruption credentials are suspect.
Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by Dollarman101: 5:04pm On Dec 16, 2013
Reptyle:

So even if your armed robber has ideas that will help you reduce the level of armed robbery in your neighborhood, you would ignore it because you are worried about whether he is altruistic or not abi? i am not under any illusion that Obasanjo is a saint! He probably should have done much more as a president than he achieved. However, that still doesn't negate the fact that he raised some burning issues affecting our present and having the capacity to negatively impact our future.

President Jonathan is performing way below expectation and his anti-corruption credentials are suspect.

Jonathan has performed far more than OBJ in every department of governance. Power reforms, Jonathan has finished building over 10 NIPP Power plants and PRIVATISED PHCN. The results will start materializing soon. GEJ has revived rail transport in Nigeria. Lagos-Kano now runs regularly. They were bad under OBJ. GEJ has worked on so many roads more than OBJ. starting from OBJ's backyard, GEJ is working on Apapa-Oshodi, Ibadan-Lagos, Benin-Ore. OBJ didn't touch these roads. All the Airports now have a better look than they were under Obasanjo. Agricutural sector is witnessing serious transformation under Adeshina.

Obj is just a class clown.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Replies Obasanjo: Prove ‘hit-squad’ Allegation Or Remain A Coward by omenka(m): 5:07pm On Dec 16, 2013
Puntae:

Obj is no saint. No one disputes that. But telling us there is no truth to the content of his letter is taking foolery to a dangerous height.

You people demonize and vilify him now because he sought to rattle the cookie jar. When it was convenient for Jo, he was all over the place hobnobing with this demon, so much so that one was even tempted to think they more than shared mutual political interests! At the PDP convention in 2011, who was it sitting at the right hand side of Obj? It was yours truely, saint Jo! Obj pulled all the stops to make sure Jo emerged the flag bearer and made deals here and there within and outside PDP to ensure saint Jo had a smooth sailing in the general election! Where were people like Abati and co then? They were busy roasting Jo's wife in the media!!

We could go on and on but hey, what's the point??
What's been said has been said. It is left to the president to either take proactive measures to address the issues raised in the letter or maintain status quo to the detriment of the entire nation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yes!! Rt Hon Terhemen Tarzoor Is A Village Boy Written By Teryila Ibn Apine / Buhari Condemned 2011 Post Election Violence. / Soyinka Flays Mbu Over Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.