Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? (12127 Views)

He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job / Is It Possible For OND Holder To Earn Upto 80k Per Month? / Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by ceejay80s(m): 7:12pm On Dec 18, 2013
Are u complaining?
Farm kò fishing nì
many people out there are earning 10k, 12k, 15k, 18k ,u earn 50k and u're complaining. Hunger never wipe ur belle b4
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by boay(m): 7:14pm On Dec 18, 2013
Mr Jarus
I know you know the answer. I am an ardent follower of jarushub and I can say little about you. I think it is better to be your own boss. I am also planning to go into farming in Kwara in the future (God willing). NGN50,000 is peanuts

1 Like

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by omoluabi1(m): 7:14pm On Dec 18, 2013
Quit your job during planting season and go all out for farming. Inter crop cassava and maize. Quick bucks with maize in 8weeks or there about and cassava bucks in 9months . You can serve two masters at a time. Since you are not sure about you current job, then why not go all out for what you are sure of. Risk is everywhere. Good luck!
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by survival1(m): 7:15pm On Dec 18, 2013
My advise is d early d beta. Focus on d farm & 4get d job though d begining may be rough. I had similar experience afta my service, i was 2 start a block industry bt didn't because of peanut i was getting as salary wit d intention of startin it afta i might have save enough. 4 2 years plus, i have nothing 2 show until i went back 2 d block business & 2day i'm happy i did because i'm my own boss, have tym 4 oda tins except wen demand is much & makes me work smart nt work hard 2 impress my boss.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by bigboywho(m): 7:18pm On Dec 18, 2013
You're still calling your 50k guaranteed?!
My guy. Take honest advise from your brothers here. No salary job is guaranteed. Its an illusion of a safe haven, bred to play on the weakness of self-doubt. Consider this: What if you were not called back at all?
My guy don't play the fool a second time.
Once you start work again you will soon forget the farm. Next on your mind will be salary increase, then promotion, then bonuses. When you are recumbent in your complacency expect it. You may then be properly sacked. Who will be the fool then?
Can you achieve MD of your compny... If not: Its NOT worth it.
You will one day want to be on your own. Great opportunity has come your way. If you like give it up. It will be harder to start next time.
Continue with farming. But please pray about it.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Onegai(f): 7:22pm On Dec 18, 2013
I think Agriculture is big business, and people will always need food. However, when you start, you MUST give it your full attention, please ignore those "just show up every 3 weeks advice", my friend goes weekly to his farm in Ogun state, and you have to chase business (clients to sell to). You can't trust workers in Nigeria (because 100% of Nigerians aren't honest), so you've got to be on ground for the first 6 months, learn what's going on. All the best. This is gonna be rough, so better get tough.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Osamabinladin: 7:26pm On Dec 18, 2013
[quote author=powersunny]I have learnt to allow people follow their mind, rather than putting them in my shoes. It can be difficult to give objective advice at times.
Back to the question. It is obvious that you job loss pushed you into considering farming, not that it was your first love. Did you discover new and exciting possibilities for your future when you researched the farming business? Did you at any point say thank God i was sacked? Can you withstand whatever comes your way in the farming business? Will you attempt a second time if you fail this tie? In my opinion, 50k is not enough for you to forgo the possibility of being a rich farmer (Now i am doing what i dread most, putting you in my shoes but well i cant help it).

Mind you, i am not a business guru, but Nigeria is hungry and still need to be fed. The market demand can never be your problem, getting enough harvest from your farm will be your real challenge, which you can overcome if you have the right expertise around your farm.

My brother, whatever you choose, don't EVER fool yourself into believing you will run a farm from your 50k office job. You will loose both your money and your meagre job since you won't concentrate. You must choose one.

A farmer MUST live on his farm, love his poultry, or fish or animal as if they are his kids, understand the whispers and cry of his crops, read their sign languages when they are sick, and nurture them to maturity, or else, no show. If you won't stay on your farm and run it yourself, don't bother.

I hope you choose well. well said.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Realdeals(m): 7:27pm On Dec 18, 2013
Join the largest agriculture community of farmers, agro markets, food processors and other stakeholders in the agric value chain at www. share your view and opinion & learn from others
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Miner13: 7:36pm On Dec 18, 2013
My 1st question is did you have a save from your salary?
If not, continue wit your job or get another one, then use your pay to start the farming.
After 3yrs i assure you. You wil not like your work again but venture into full farming.

Farming is very lucrative, thou i've not started the cash crops system of yours because i am stil a student.
I do not depend on my parents again since my 200level, now in 500level. What God have build up for as asset some people who are working do not have it.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by penishardone: 7:44pm On Dec 18, 2013
face the farming. Suffer now and enjoy tomorrow. Your not eating today does not mean you will never eat tomorrow. Hunger cannot kill you but can only change your face, with vision you have at hand and your confronting it, you tomorrow will be better.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by collinsola: 7:45pm On Dec 18, 2013
U wan follow palm stay for bush till e grow abi,u better multi task b4 I chang my mind.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by biodunid: 8:09pm On Dec 18, 2013
A decade of farming 20 hectares (oil palm) and am yet to see a brass farthing. Thank God for the monthly salary that even allowed me to indulge in such an outlay without return for so long. What I learned is that is that farming, like all other businesses, needs extremely close marking and hands on operation. Also with limited land typically available in naija you need either livestock or high value crops to make it work. I don't see 1 hectare replacing N50k per month unless you go into livestock and that will itself require millions.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Jarus(m): 8:09pm On Dec 18, 2013
boay: Mr Jarus
I know you know the answer. I am an ardent follower of jarushub and I can say little about you. I think it is better to be your own boss. I am also planning to go into farming in Kwara in the future (God willing). NGN50,000 is peanuts
It's not mme. If you do read my blog well, you should know that could not be me.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 18, 2013
Jarus:
It's not me. 50k is, God's grace, my one day gross salary.

Hmm
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 18, 2013
Jarus: I need your advice on something quite important. Three months ago, I was suspended from my job for a crime I am not guilty of (I suspect my boss does not want me and otehr accountants again; he suspended me and forced another accountant to resign). Since then, I have been carrying out a research on how to start and run a farm(palm tree, cassava, maize etc). I have even bought a hectare of land in a village close to my hometown in Kwara state for that purpose and secured more hectares on lease. All I am waiting for is teh season start (February/March).

I must tell you I am already feeling like a boss (lol), when, suddenly, I learnt after the investigations that my boss had been mandated to call me back and he has done that. The questions now are: should I go back? Am I strong enough to start my own now? Won’t I be better off being on my own? Wont he (my boss) organise a bigger trouble for me (since he was forced me back in the first place)? Now I am at crossroads. With the job, my N50,000 per month is guaranteed, but can’t have more. With my farm, N600,000 per year is not sure, but millions can be expected, depending on factors that cannot be accurately projected. Jarus, what do you think I should do?

http://www.jarushub.com/return-to-my-50kmonth-job-or-go-ahead-with-farming/

Whatever you decide, I must say this
You are hardworking, adventurous and very honest...admirable traits, all
Cheers
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by optimism91(m): 8:15pm On Dec 18, 2013
Jarus: I need your advice on something quite important. Three months ago, I was suspended from my job for a crime I am not guilty of (I suspect my boss does not want me and otehr accountants again; he suspended me and forced another accountant to resign). Since then, I have been carrying out a research on how to start and run a farm(palm tree, cassava, maize etc). I have even bought a hectare of land in a village close to my hometown in Kwara state for that purpose and secured more hectares on lease. All I am waiting for is teh season start (February/March).

I must tell you I am already feeling like a boss (lol), when, suddenly, I learnt after the investigations that my boss had been mandated to call me back and he has done that. The questions now are: should I go back? Am I strong enough to start my own now? Won’t I be better off being on my own? Wont he (my boss) organise a bigger trouble for me (since he was forced me back in the first place)? Now I am at crossroads. With the job, my N50,000 per month is guaranteed, but can’t have more. With my farm, N600,000 per year is not sure, but millions can be expected, depending on factors that cannot be accurately projected. Jarus, what do you think I should do?

From what I observed here, its like you have more passion for this farming thing than your job. Ok let me ask you, did this thought of farming come while you were working or after you were suspended? God has a way of promoting us. If you have what it takes to start up with the farm, go ahead. But I think you would need more money than you think. If taken up the job will not affect your plans and endanger ur reputation in ur working place, I suggest you let go and pray to God for a break through. Nothing is too hard for him to do. I wish you good luck.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by backwardneva: 8:28pm On Dec 18, 2013
Guy,l'l advice u take things easy,do ut research very well,l think u should go back 2 d job while u focus on ur plan 4 farm underground.Possibly start ur farm b4 u leave d job.Nottin is as good as ur own biz.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by NAJALYN: 8:31pm On Dec 18, 2013
@Poster, it will be wise to return to your job, and also create time for your farm business. Your job will sustain you until you harvest your crops. You will certainly know when to quit the job.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 18, 2013
hasyak: Face your farming squarely, forget the job, the 50k will be a distraction.

knowing that you have no option than to succeed, this will give you the added push you need.

Welcome to the entrepreneurs club.

Take back your job. But this is the best time for you to develop a plan B, because your 50k job might still fail later.

I told you to take back your job because farming takes time to yeild income. I do little farming so i know that very well. After the planting season, you will wait more than 6months doing weeding waiting for your crops to mature depending on the type of crops you planted. What will you eat during this period especially if you have kids and a wife. But anyday, i still prefer being an entrepereneur...
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:18pm On Dec 18, 2013
Nice thread! All.have well spoken but my candid advice is to.quit your job and embracing farming.
50K is a meagre salary which will not be sufficient for you in the longrun.
Even though farming/Agribusiness is not bed of roses as every business has its ups and downs but if truly you are a passionate about it,nothing should be able to stop you from achieving your Vision instead of sweating every morning and night in accomplishing the Vision of another business.
I can authoritatively tell you that farming will do much for you in both shortrun and longrun.
The numerous opportunities farming offers you,your job will not be able to.
If you are looking for training on farming (cassava,melon,maize),Our 2014/2015 training is starting by February with Dr. Sheikl Hammed(C.E.O of Agripodis Nig.Ltd)

How to.process High Quality Cassava Flour and sells to Brewery and Ethanol making companies with little cash
How to.cultivate and manage maize,cassava,cucumber and melon plantation successfully well
Contacts of buyers of these products.
1year Free consultancy from our Resoure persons.
1 year Free access to mentorship programmes
Access to hectare of land for proper coaching and training.
How to access the Federal Government Cassava loan for 2014.
Follow up processes on how to access the loan.
Price:#45,000 for registration before the planting season (February 20)
#120,000 After 20th of February.

Our Farm management programme is also available where we managed farm for busy clients interested in farming at an affordable management fee.Crops ranging from cassava,maize,cucumber and watermelon.
For more info call the Farm Manager
Gbenga on 08164628081,01-7910494,email yusuffgbenga@gmail.com or like us on www.facebook.com/lesgupnigeria for latest in agribusiness.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by tao186: 9:19pm On Dec 18, 2013
Jarus: I need your advice on something quite important. Three months ago, I was suspended from my job for a crime I am not guilty of (I suspect my boss does not want me accountants again; he suspended me and forced another accountant to resign). Since then, I have been carrying out a esearch on how to start and run a farm(palm tree, cassava, maize etc). I have even bought a hectare of land in a village close to my hometown in Kwara state for that purpose and secured more hectares on lease. All I am waiting for is teh season start (February/March).

I must tell you I am already feeling like a boss (lol), when, suddenly, I learnt after the investigations that my boss had been mandated to call me back and he has done that. The questions now are: should I go back? Am I strong enough to start my own now? Won’t I be better off being on my own? Wont he (my boss) organise a bigger trouble for me (since he was forced me back in the first aplace)? Now I am at crossroads. With the job, my N50,000 per month is guaranteed, but can’t have more. With my farm, N600,000 per year is not sure, but millions can be expected, depending on factors that cannot be accurately projected. Jarus, what do you think I should do?

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:28pm On Dec 18, 2013
Nice thread! All.have well spoken but my candid advice is to.quit your job and embracing farming.
50K is a meagre salary which will not be sufficient for you in the longrun.
Even though farming/Agribusiness is not bed of roses as every business has its ups and downs but if truly you are a passionate about it,nothing should be able to stop you from achieving your Vision instead of sweating every morning and night in accomplishing the Vision of another business.
I can authoritatively tell you that farming will do much for you in both shortrun and longrun.
The numerous opportunities farming offers you,your job will not be able to.
If you are looking for training on farming (cassava,melon,maize),Our 2014/2015 training is starting by February with Dr. Sheikl Hammed(C.E.O of Agripodis Nig.Ltd)

How to.process High Quality Cassava Flour and sells to Brewery and Ethanol making companies with little cash
How to.cultivate and manage maize,cassava,cucumber and melon plantation successfully well
Contacts of buyers of these products.
1year Free consultancy from our Resoure persons.
1 year Free access to mentorship programmes
Access to hectare of land for proper coaching and training.
How to access the Federal Government Cassava loan for 2014.
Follow up processes on how to access the loan.
Price:#45,000 for registration before the planting season (February 20)
#120,000 After 20th of February.

Our Farm management programme is also available where we managed farm for busy clients interested in farming at an affordable management fee.Crops ranging from cassava,maize,cucumber and watermelon.
For more info call the Farm Manager
Gbenga on 08164628081,01-7910494,email yusuffgbenga@gmail.com or like us on www.facebook.com/lesgupnigeria for latest in agribusiness.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by nnabuike1(m): 9:34pm On Dec 18, 2013
@op. Put in 100% in the farming. Avoid like a plague the common pitfall that you can keep your job on the side and at the same time succeed in this business venture as this is the slowest way to failure.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by doubleportion: 10:16pm On Dec 18, 2013
Na wa o! I can see op between the devil and the angel grin

There number of things I think op should consider
Do you have family? As in MARRIED with kids?
I left therest for you to consider!
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Ibime(m): 10:31pm On Dec 18, 2013

This bros sensitivity analysis na wa o. From 600k to countless millions, all from the same acreage of land? The land no get measurable output?

My honest opinion, run the farm parallel for a year or two to learn the pitfalls of the farming game then go fulltime. As it stands, this bros is already on shaky foundations at his workplace so I would not call it 'guaranteed' income. So go for the farming but take a year or so to learn the game.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by GentleFrank(m): 11:16pm On Dec 18, 2013
Farming if he can do it well and be more creative too !
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Caracta(f): 11:18pm On Dec 18, 2013
ceejay80s: Are u complaining?
Farm kò fishing nì
many people out there are earning 10k, 12k, 15k, 18k ,u earn 50k and u're complaining. Hunger never wipe ur belle b4

Smh. Nigerian mentality. What a pity! cry
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Adunskill(m): 11:43pm On Dec 18, 2013
Now I am at crossroads. With the job, my N50,000 per month is guaranteed, but can’t have more. With my farm, N600,000 per year is not sure, but millions can be expected, depending on factors that cannot be accurately projected./[/quote]
you just have to employ someone to help you manage your farm and do ur guaranteed job for the main time before you quit.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by akonucheinfo(m): 12:50am On Dec 19, 2013
the question you should ask yourself, is do you have passion for the farm tin or you just want to opt in because you saw people making it in farming.

if you want to go into farming because you read one article on farming or the other and not because is something you already have little experience on, my advise would be that you go back to your job and make your plans well. because, i wouldnt want to hear had i known on this thread.

all this one you are mentioning hectares here and there, bro na millions dey involved o, thats u are starting big. big start, big risk. small start, small risk.

its your call, make the right decision
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Nobody: 2:37am On Dec 19, 2013
GOING BACK TO THE JOB WILL CREATE AN UNNECESSARY DISTRACTION
AND THE FARM WILL SUFFER. WHAT U NEED IS FOCUS
HONESTLY U NEED TIME TO NURTURE UR FARMING BUSINESS
WHAT IF U GO BACK AND THEY BOMBARD U WITH WORK
SO U DONT HAVE TIME TO FOCUS ON THE FARM?
THEN U WILL SELL IT?
PLEASE NUTHIG GOOD COMES EASY HANG IN THERE AND MAKE IT WORK
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by seunlicious: 6:20am On Dec 19, 2013
The truth is that even after returning to ur job U will still be having problem with your boss because being tolerated is different from being celebrated, but that is just one of those thing U must learn to cope with as employee. For now what I will advise is that U should go back with your job with exist strategy. Let your exist strategy be centred around the following:
(1) How to start ur agribusiness on a part term with the intension of generate sustainable income that can at least run the ur agribusiness.
(2) How to save for raining days. Agribusiness is great, but before getting to that level one will go thru days of waiting and growing before harvest. So your gestestation period will one will be determine by the kind of crops you choose to grow.
(3) How to maintain your current lifestyle without a pay job.

For me, I wish best of luck.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 New Ways To Motivate Your Employees On Monday Morning / Why Smart Work Minus Talent Equals An Average Career / Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.