Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,106 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:41 AM

He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job (39149 Views)

Lagos Banker Sacked For Tweeting About Hating His Job / Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant / BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Nobody: 2:20am On Dec 14, 2015
Hello nairalanders,a very good friend of mine came to me a couple of days ago with a detailed epistle of the trauma he faces with his job and how he's opted to quit,but insists on my advice before he hands in his resignation letter:

"I got my job six months after my NYSC and March 2015 was my eight years of working for the company.As an engineer,the job isn't my kind of job as it exposes me to lots of dangers and keeps me away from my family for at least six months every year.
My salary is more than half a million per month,yet I don't find joy doing what I'm been paid to do.

Thinking of my kids each time I leave home for work and how they cry to go with me is such a feeling that makes me wish I never had the job in the first place and at the same time,the thought of how they would fare if I quit without laying a proper foundation for their future makes me reconsider my decision and keep telling myself that I have to keep on going.

Though,I have most of the necessary things to make life a bit easier,but I'm always sad whenever is time to go to work.My wife on the other hand,tries to convince me before I'll finally make up my mind.It has been like this right from the onset,yet things aren't changing.
The most annoying aspect is that of my employers,an American company.They drain every bit of my energy and always remind me of how jobs are very scarce in Nigeria.

Right now,I have a business that could be fetching me at least two hundred thousand naira per month with lots of rooms for expansion and I feel so delighted that I'm going to become my own boss.
The happiness I derive from trying to do my own business is so boundless,but my problem is this: I don't want to go back to the same job once I quit".

Should I ask him to quit or continue with the job?Is happiness more important than pay?I need very intelligent answers, please.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by mrking3(m): 3:42am On Dec 14, 2015
Your friend is confused! Obviously from the Last paragraph!! He works with an American company earning that high figure yet, he's complaining! I know people that works like hell in this country and still doesn't earn close to what he claims he earn. Abeg, he should decide for himself!

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by duduade: 4:07am On Dec 14, 2015
I feel for your friend sha
But anyways.
Abeg drop the name of the company here ...

197 Likes 9 Shares

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by yomalex(m): 6:32am On Dec 14, 2015
He has to plan what number of months/years to work and then resign.

In the meantime he has to discuss with the wife so that they reduce their standard of living a little so it won't be a shock when he finally resigns.

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Nobody: 6:42am On Dec 14, 2015
hmmm,i understood his pains and i think he has saved up working for such number of years. if you have saved and you believe you have the zeal and passion to make your business stand out,you can quit.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by dominique(f): 6:43am On Dec 14, 2015
He can as well quit. He has a side business he can fall back on once he does.

6 Likes

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by CrazyMan(m): 8:17am On Dec 14, 2015
A lot of young Nigerian graduates earn far less under more terrible working conditions and still hope and believe things will get better someday.

Eight years is enough time for him to have saved something reasonable to become a boss of his own considering what he earns per month.

My advice is that he should start the business while maintaining his current job, put his wife there and monitor his profit after removing his capital, cost of maintenance, tax and other expenses.

If he's happy with that he sees, then he can happily quit his current job,

Good luck.

105 Likes 3 Shares

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by mrvitalis(m): 9:49am On Dec 14, 2015
This guy is not serious... how can u earn half a million for 8 years and ur investment can only generate 200k a month..
... now I believe some people can't be rich no matter how much u give them

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Sagamite(m): 11:14am On Dec 14, 2015
If he wants to quit simply because he misses his kids, that is nonsense.

As much as I love kids, I also know it is expensive to raise them and give them the good things in life.

If he wants to quit because he misses his kids, actually hates his job and he has another sustainable avenue of making a living that he likes, then he needs to hand in his resignation asap.

Life is about being happy. But happiness does not normally come from being broke and failing your family.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by MadCow1: 11:54am On Dec 14, 2015
I know the feeling

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by PLANETMARS(m): 11:54am On Dec 14, 2015
From what u typed I can tell u r friend is an oil worker and a dummy as well. Make beta hunger beat am e go fin hapiness for d job by force!! Summary: hungerbad

5 Likes

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 14, 2015
End time jobs kwa...
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Pheals(f): 11:54am On Dec 14, 2015
undecidedpls who is he working for? Not his family ,if the job expose him to danger who knows what will happen the family will leave on if he dies... for good 8yrs he should have invest plus your family need your attention... try set up a business with Your savings and be a proprietor, an entrepreneur

3 Likes

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by PresVA: 11:55am On Dec 14, 2015
He shouldn't quit just yet. Going from earning over 500k to about 200k will be such a hard transition ; Let his business grow some more..

mrking3:
Your friend is confused! Obviously from the Last paragraph!! He works with an American company earning that high figure yet, he's complaining! I know people that works like hell in this country and still doesn't earn close to what he claims he earn. Abeg, he should decide for himself!
Poverty mentality!

So others' contentment should determine his too abi??

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by b0y(m): 11:55am On Dec 14, 2015
grin
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by korel9: 11:55am On Dec 14, 2015
Jesu! shocked

1 Like

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by feran15(m): 11:55am On Dec 14, 2015
my advice, save up enough money that he can inject into the business and quit when he is sure the business will hold up

2 Likes

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Nobody: 11:55am On Dec 14, 2015
He should learn to distribute 90% of his earnings to the needy. 10% of it can make him happy. OP tell him to pm me, my account details are ever ready

3 Likes

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by OCTAVO: 11:56am On Dec 14, 2015
God! Nawa
Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Nobody: 11:56am On Dec 14, 2015
The truth is there is more to life than money but on the other hand life could be more comfortable with money.

Most people will not understand why in the midst of poverty and anguish someone who is supposedly well off is still unhappy and complaining. This life is just once, you don't want to spend the productive and most active stage of your life being unhappy. The problem with being unhappy with your job is that sooner or later it sips into every other aspect of your life, and will ruin it.

I think your friend should talk to a therapist to start with. I am sure when he is through with his sessions he will figure out what exactly the problem is, and if it means making adjustment or changing a job then he should do it. There is no point going to a job you don't like just because of the money, for how long is he going to live like that before he losses his mind?

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Teewhy2: 11:56am On Dec 14, 2015
If you are making profit of 200k per month as you said and their is room for expansion in your business. I think I can boldly advice you to resign and face the business squarely in 2 years time you should be making above the half a million as profit and still have time for your family, as the family is as important as your business . But if you have not started the business still stay with your job and start the business then plan and build your sef to the business .

In other news, I need your votes to help my baby win the ongoing #CussonsBabyMoments competition , still short of over 1000 votes but with your votes, it is still possible to win. Kindly click on this link to vote my Baby https://cussonsbabymoments.com/details/578.
Thanks

4 Likes

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Kufie(m): 11:56am On Dec 14, 2015
Tell him to resign. I can work.

mrking3:

It's sad to see that Nigeria has made you people reason like this. This is exactly why people hardly live long.

14 Likes

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Sweetcollins: 11:56am On Dec 14, 2015
Please lemme replace you...with all honesty

1 Like

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by martineverest(m): 11:57am On Dec 14, 2015
I wud rada earn 250k and be happy than earn millions @ xpense of happiness

14 Likes

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Nobody: 11:58am On Dec 14, 2015
One of the reasons i don't wanna work under anybody, I believe in developing my Talent and even though I have a boss it won't be as u must work urself out before u get the pay,. To me he should start his own business and leave that space for people looking for a job.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by BCISLTD007: 11:58am On Dec 14, 2015
If u have the tools ...quit....it's not gonna be easy no matter how much u got saved up..but u'll be happier for it

1 Like

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by Psalm18: 11:58am On Dec 14, 2015
Family is more important or he should relocate his family closer to him.
If this is not possible, he should quit ASAP and carry on with his business. 200K he earns from his business is not bad money ...that's also a good pay.

Children don't get spoiled from too much love, they get spoiled when parents substitute presents for presence.
Those kids and his wife needs him more than any money, gifts he thinks he can buy for them.
Taking it further, I just want to say, boys growing up aim to be like their dads, from manner of dressing, speech, everything you know of, once as a father you are not active in their lives, they will substitute you for another male figure - could be a teacher, an uncle, anybody else, someone in the neighborhood. Someone you don't know their own values.
Let your friend be wise, money is not everything. Better to raise good kids than not to try and change grown adults.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job by ziego(m): 11:58am On Dec 14, 2015
Okay

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Enlisting Into Nigeria Police Force: / 70 Best Out Of Office Messages That Always Work / My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.