Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:27 AM

Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) (19649 Views)

Should I Return The Funds / Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? / Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Go Down)

Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by bibibabe(f): 10:42am On Jun 27, 2006
Please i just want to know what people in the house think about my situation and what they would do if in that situation.
I did my masters in the UK and was lucky to get an HSMP visa in January 2006, but before i could get a job, something tragic happened and i had to return to Nigeria. With the situation of things then, i was hoping to get a job in Nigeria and stay with my family. However getting a job as been pretty difficult here, forget the foreign degrees, its all about who you know. Although i have received calls from some organisations about their employment processes, but dont know when they will call me for any of these and nothing is sure yet. Now i have lost 6 months on my HSMP visa from the initial 1year granted and i am thinking  of going back to the UK. What would you do if it was you, would you continue staying in Nigeria with your family and hoping to find a job or would you travel back to the UK?
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by bibibabe(f): 10:53am On Jun 27, 2006
Please i just want to know what people in the house think about my situation and what they would do if in that situation.
I did my masters in the UK and was lucky to get an HSMP visa in January 2006, but before i could get a job, something tragic happened and i had to return to Nigeria. With the situation of things then, i was hoping to get a job in Nigeria and stay with my family. However getting a job as been pretty difficult here, forget the foreign degrees, its all about who you know. Although i have received calls from some organisations about their employment processes, but don't know when they will call me for any of these and nothing is sure yet. Now i have lost 6 months on my HSMP visa from the initial 1year granted and i am thinking  of going back to the UK. What would you do if it was you, would you continue staying in Nigeria with your family and hoping to find a job or would you travel back to the UK?
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by layi(m): 11:18am On Jun 27, 2006
Back to the UK sharp sharp. Its almost impossible getting a job in Naija if u no get connections except you are ready to settle for peanuts or start your own business.
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by whiteroses(f): 2:13pm On Jun 27, 2006
back to uk jab jab on
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by saintchux(m): 5:37pm On Jun 27, 2006
Broda, Home is sweet. But how do you enjoy it with job.

There is no need being here jobless and sufferng when you will get job over there.

The umeployment situation in this country is so horrible. Millions are not employed and those that are employed are underemployed. If I am in your shoe I will border the next available BA flight back to UK.
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jun 27, 2006
do smiley
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by toshmann(m): 6:21pm On Jun 27, 2006
i cant believe u are asking this question. what are u doing there, hurry back to the UK ASAP.

no debate, no argument, no need to waste time talking about it,hurry back to the UK ASAP.

see, ur next posting should be from the UK

delay is dangerous
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by Hugoboi(m): 6:40pm On Jun 27, 2006
Babe,
Uv got wat most folks down here will give their right arms for and ur stl contemplatin??Na wa 4 u o.Since stuff aint working in Naija ,why dont u jet the f**k out.Wit ur foreign degrees ur hot>>>>wish u luck
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by zebudaya(m): 6:50pm On Jun 27, 2006
I think you should go back to the UK and look for work, after all you have 6 months left, if you don't find any reasonable job in the remaining 6 months, you can always come back home to Nigeria

2) You can keep in contact with the organisations in Naija if any one hires you and the pay is good you can buy a ticket and go back home. I know its expensive but you can come back for interviews and such (6 hours flight). If the job is really worth it.
either way win-win

Thats my advice to you.
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by omogenaija(f): 7:20pm On Jun 27, 2006
Go to UK make money,  and then bring it to establish yourself in naija. anybody that has a chance to work in UK is lucky, do u know the value of pounds or euro compared to naira or even dollars ??

even me that i'm in america, if i get a chance to go to UK and work i will be on the first plane there. unless God says no.

but with everything prayer is needed, so if u believe pray before u make that desicion and he will direct u.
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by sammiek1(m): 7:23pm On Jun 27, 2006
just look for a husband, instead of the job. It may help a great deal. smiley
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by omogenaija(f): 7:29pm On Jun 27, 2006
sammie.k:

just look for a husband, instead of the job. It may help a great deal. smiley

look for a husband ko, wa iyawo ni,

i know u werent talking to me, but i feel offend wheather u care or not

but i dont like wat u said ?? u should tell her if anything to look for connections. wat does husband have to do with this did she say she need a man or she was lonely haba
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by zebudaya(m): 7:32pm On Jun 27, 2006
if she marries an english citizen then she can leave and go back to england whenver she pleases. instead of worrying about a 6 month time limit.
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by omogenaija(f): 7:39pm On Jun 27, 2006
zebudaya:

if she marries an english citizen then she can leave and go back to england whenver she pleases. instead of worrying about a 6 month time limit.

thats true, good idea. hopefully she finds one that she actucally loves so she wont dump him @ the end of the day. or maybe she will find someone willing to give her that help,

but either way i think she should leave naija. even if she only stays and works for 6 months the money she will make will be outstanding, and maybe God will bless her and she might be able to go and come when and where ever she wants.

but go to the UK
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by zebudaya(m): 7:59pm On Jun 27, 2006
omoge naija 6 months of work. unless she gets a really high paying job, most of her money may go to rent, transportation etc she may find it hard to save.
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by omogenaija(f): 8:05pm On Jun 27, 2006
zebudaya:

omoge naija 6 months of work. unless she gets a really high paying job, most of her money may go to rent, transportation etc she may find it hard to save.

please answer old glory or don't you want to get jiggy with it grin he doesnt understand yoruba
give him directions to your papa's ile

true but she will probably end up making more in the UK i think,

if u understand yoruba that transalte it to Old Glory,

get jiggy with it ko, get jugged with it ni

ya'll r a bunch of jokers wink wink
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by Akolawole(m): 8:39pm On Jun 27, 2006
omogenaija:

anybody that has a chance to work in UK is lucky, do u know the value of pounds or euro compared to naira or even dollars ??

Have you live in UK before?

@ Bibibabe

I am sure you left UK for Naija not because of family ALONE.

1) Are those companies in Naija actually have those vacancies?

2) If yes, does it have deadlines?

If you are unsure or the answer is No, get a ticket and go back to London. Remember you must be in full time employment before the visa can be renewed.
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by Akolawole(m): 8:44pm On Jun 27, 2006
zebudaya:

Very very easy to say.
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by omogenaija(f): 8:44pm On Jun 27, 2006
Akolawole:

Have you live in UK before?

nope, i havent lived in UK. but i know some parts of UK use pounds and other parts of Uk use euro. and i think that pounds and euro r worth more than naira and dollars. correct me if i'm wrong.

now that i've answer ur question, please answer mine since u said u know. why was old glory questioning me
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by Akolawole(m): 9:06pm On Jun 27, 2006
omogenaija:

nope, i havent lived in UK. but i know some parts of UK use pounds and other parts of Uk use euro. and i think that pounds and euro r worth more than naira and dollars. correct me if i'm wrong.

now that i've answer your question, please answer mine since u said u know. why was old glory questioning me

1) Euro is not used in any part of UK at all.

2) Euro or Pounds is greater than Nigeria's naira but think about this It cost less than £2 to travel from Lagos to Ibadan but how much does a similar trip cost in UK?

We are going off-topic o
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by omogenaija(f): 9:11pm On Jun 27, 2006
Akolawole:

1) Euro is not used in any part of UK at all.

2) Euro or Pounds is greater than Nigeria's naira but think about this It cost less than £2 to travel from Lagos to Ibadan but how much does a similar trip cost in UK?

We are going off-topic o

lmao, i thought euro was used in some parts for the UK, thanks for the correction

as for ur second question idk, ask someone that lives there

so y did old glory ask wat part of america that i'm from, b/c it seems u know alot and i want u to answer me. and i know we r going off topic i just want u to answer
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by praetor(f): 10:00pm On Jun 27, 2006
Hello

This person should move back to the UK sharpish, don't waste any more time!

You can always get a job when you are ready to settle permanently in Naija, or at the very worst start your own business. Look at a website called africarecruit.com. It recruits Africans that have foreign degrees to work in Africa.

I read here that someone in the States would do anything to work in England, WHY? shocked

I'm British and have lived and worked there, There is no comparison and loads more opportunities in the USA, I beg!
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by Shagari2(m): 10:24pm On Jun 27, 2006
sorry, 4give me 4 my ignorance but whats an HSMP visa, don't laugh!
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by omogenaija(f): 10:44pm On Jun 27, 2006
praetor:

I read here that someone in the States would do anything to work in England, WHY? shocked

I'm British and have lived and worked there, There is no comparison and loads more opportunities in the USA, I beg!

i was the person that said i would work in the UK, i said that b/c i thought more money could be made over there. but thanks 4 giving ur advice from expericene
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by praetor(f): 11:23pm On Jun 27, 2006
the only thing that you would gain by would be the exchange rate. Dollar is qute weak against pound sterling right now.

Potential market in the US = 300m people, diverse cultures, less regulation, highly entrepreneurial culture, huge country, low cost of living, lots of opportunities

Potential market in the UK = 60m people, diverse cultures, more regulation, not very entrepreneurial, competition from cheap Eastern European workers, work tends to be concentrated in London, high cost of living, not that many opportunities unless you want to teach Maths (shortage of Maths teachers), other fields very competitive.

Even the nursing profession in UK is undegoing drastic change because they are firing all the nurses.

You'd be better off here.

wink
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by omogenaija(f): 11:27pm On Jun 27, 2006
praetor:

the only thing that you would gain by would be the exchange rate. Dollar is qute weak against pound sterling right now.

Potential market in the US = 300m people, diverse cultures, less regulation, highly entrepreneurial culture, huge country, low cost of living, lots of opportunities

Potential market in the UK = 60m people, diverse cultures, more regulation, not very entrepreneurial, competition from cheap Eastern European workers, work tends to be concentrated in London, high cost of living, not that many opportunities unless you want to teach Maths (shortage of Maths teachers), other fields very competitive.

Even the nursing profession in UK is undegoing drastic change because they are firing all the nurses.

wink

thanks
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by praetor(f): 11:32pm On Jun 27, 2006
Sorry, hope I haven't completely discouraged you!

If you can get a fantastic paying job in the UK from here, then go for it!

grin
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by omogenaija(f): 11:36pm On Jun 27, 2006
praetor:

Sorry, hope I haven't completely discouraged you!

If you can get a fantastic paying job in the UK from here, then go for it!

grin

i'm young and i still got years ahead of me b4 i think bout it. wink wink
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by Akolawole(m): 11:44pm On Jun 27, 2006
praetor:

Poten[b]competition from [/b]tial market in the UK = 60m people, diverse cultures, more regulation, not very entrepreneurial, cheap Eastern European workers, work tends to be concentrated in London, high cost of living, not that many opportunities unless you want to teach Maths (shortage of Maths teachers), other fields very competitive.

wink

100 % RIGHT
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by praetor(f): 11:45pm On Jun 27, 2006
if you really are that keen, get a job in a multinational that has offices in the UK. That way they'll pay for your accomodation, relocation expenses etc

Good Luck!
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by omogenaija(f): 11:47pm On Jun 27, 2006
praetor:

if you really are that keen, get a job in a multinational that has offices in the UK. That way they'll pay for your accomodation, relocation expenses etc

Good Luck!

thats wat my mom said but , undecided undecided
Re: Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) by beyonce1(f): 1:24am On Jun 28, 2006
undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)

I Was Mocked And Tagged 'stupid', Says Airport Security Who Returned Bag / What's The Best 21 Century Skill To Learn / Can A 35 Year Old Still Get Appointment Into Federal Civil Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.