Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,027 members, 7,845,328 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. (13241 Views)

Sony Suggests That In 2017 Will Reach Double Lens Cameras To Smartphones / Old Popular Nokia Mobile Game "Snake Classic" Returns To Smartphones After 18yrs / The Most Surprisingly Gorgeous Smartphone We’ve Seen Is Now On Sale In The U.S. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by DocAdray(f): 4:44pm On Dec 18, 2013
Nice write-up.
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by micseyi(m): 5:13pm On Dec 18, 2013
[quote author=Kingtim]So u mean i made it?.. Crying tears of joy.. Ftc In case this made front page. My name is ikpedia timothy aka kingtim,. I'm not a nobody

undecided guy relax na
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by ogunwalea(m): 5:23pm On Dec 18, 2013
participate in a debate in Nairaland. Democratic Leadership VS Church Leadership... Feel free to express urself.
www.nairaland.com/1560214/democratic-leadership-vs-church-leadership#20303885
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Sike(m): 6:07pm On Dec 18, 2013
Abbreviation in Letter writing.
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Idrismusty97(m): 6:56pm On Dec 18, 2013
[size=15pt] How to place targeted ads on nairaland [/size]
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 18, 2013
I'm no addict to anything. Never lost any of those skills due to the use of smartphones.
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by LordReed(m): 7:29pm On Dec 18, 2013
rodeo0070:

5. Reading comprehension

The primary culprits are E-readers. They’re convenient and can store thousands of books. There’s also evidence that their format makes it more difficult for users to retain and recall information they just read. Don’t worry, there’s no need to give up your e-reader! What we should do is make an effort to read printed books. This will be especially helpful when perusing information we need for academic or career purposes.

This I completely disagree with. Reading an ebook is no different from reading a paper book; both require you read the words with your eyes and comprehend the text you are beholding. Reading an ebook doesn't make you skip the words.

Maybe when they can feed text directly to the brain would there be a noticeable difference. For now this is so called loss is false!
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
u didnt tell us hw to gt em bk
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by rodeo0070(m): 9:07pm On Dec 18, 2013
Iceberyln: u didnt tell us hw to gt em bk
Go thru' the post very well...
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by rodeo0070(m): 9:13pm On Dec 18, 2013
Lord_Reed:

This I completely disagree with. Reading an ebook is no different from reading a paper book; both require you read the words with your eyes and comprehend the text you are beholding. Reading an ebook doesn't make you skip the words.

Maybe when they can feed text directly to the brain would there be a noticeable difference. For now this is so called loss is false!

Lord Reed, I wish I could explain but don't know how. All I'm very sure about is that there's difference btw reading from a paper/printed book than its e-reader counterpart. This is not to say that the e-reading is bad...
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by LordReed(m): 11:12pm On Dec 18, 2013
rodeo0070:

Lord Reed, I wish I could explain but don't know how. All I'm very sure about is that there's difference btw reading from a paper/printed book than its e-reader counterpart. This is not to say that the e-reading is bad...

I read both a lot and can categorically tell you that there is absolutely no difference. What comprises a ebook/paper book is text and/or images which you view with your eyes and comprehend with your brain. Ebooks do not short-circuit the reading process in anyway, in fact the ease of access ebooks provide should be used to encourage our young ones to read. I will be starting a project aimed at doing just that.
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by OlufemiAbbey(m): 11:21pm On Dec 18, 2013
DEVA1: I can see dat u don't use a smartphone. these babies are meant to make stuff like dat easier. y do u use cars wen u can just walk abt, y buy batteries wen u can just make 1? fact is, smartphone makes life easier

Thank you jare. Smartphones should do things smartly. And fyi, only SMART people can handle smart things! E.O.S
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by rodeo0070(m): 7:32am On Dec 19, 2013
Lord_Reed:

I read both a lot and can categorically tell you that there is absolutely no difference. What comprises a ebook/paper book is text and/or images which you view with your eyes and comprehend with your brain. Ebooks do not short-circuit the reading process in anyway, in fact the ease of access ebooks provide should be used to encourage our young ones to read. I will be starting a project aimed at doing just that.
I understand you very well, sir. Maybe because I'm old school sha. Lol. I'm not comfortable with e-book reader. I've tried but still find myself reading my paper back novel or books. I guess its an individual thing. Most people expressed the same opinion. This is based on a questionarie prepared to ascertain this. I'll post this soon for everyone to participate...
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by rodeo0070(m): 7:57am On Dec 19, 2013
DEVA1: I can see dat u don't use a smartphone. these babies are meant to make stuff like dat easier. y do u use cars wen u can just walk abt, y buy batteries wen u can just make 1? fact is, smartphone makes life easier

You are not getting the point of the write up Sir. No one is saying smart devices are not life-savers. As smart as these devices are, they have their drawbacks. Human communication is broadened but limited. Most people find it hard to spell or write comprehensively. This is very evident in most youths. The point is most of these skills replaced by smart devices are still vital and relevant in the present world one way or the other.
By the way, I'm a gadget freak!
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by sowprice(m): 9:26am On Dec 19, 2013
ok
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by LordReed(m): 2:00pm On Dec 19, 2013
rodeo0070:
I understand you very well, sir. Maybe because I'm old school sha. Lol. I'm not comfortable with e-book reader. I've tried but still find myself reading my paper back novel or books. I guess its an individual thing. Most people expressed the same opinion. This is based on a questionarie prepared to ascertain this. I'll post this soon for everyone to participate...

The point raised was deterioration of reading and comprehension skill not whether you like ebook/paper book or not. If you read an ebook it is the same text in a paper book so if you'd understand a paper book you'd understand an ebook, simple. Any talk about what medium you prefer to read on/in is outside the scope of skill or comprehension.

I am pretty sure the argument raised here about ebooks is the same argument raised against printed books back in the day; people will forget oral tradition, people will forget how to write, people will forget how to remember things, etc. Change of technological level is bound to introduce new concepts and ways of doing things. Where we show intelligence is in harnessing the change and making it work for good.
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by rodeo0070(m): 4:58pm On Dec 19, 2013
Lord_Reed:

The point raised was deterioration of reading and comprehension skill not whether you like ebook/paper book or not. If you read an ebook it is the same text in a paper book so if you'd understand a paper book you'd understand an ebook, simple. Any talk about what medium you prefer to read on/in is outside the scope of skill or comprehension.

I am pretty sure the argument raised here about ebooks is the same argument raised against printed books back in the day; people will forget oral tradition, people will forget how to write, people will forget how to remember things, etc. Change of technological level is bound to introduce new concepts and ways of doing things. Where we show intelligence is in harnessing the change and making it work for good.
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by LordReed(m): 5:19pm On Dec 19, 2013
rodeo0070:

What we see in everyday life is not lost skill due to ebooks but lost skill due to a refocus on the ephemerals e.g. latest celebrity gossip, social media, mindless entertainment of all sort, etc. I will challenge you to get me anyone who reads ebooks voluminously and match him/her up with some equally engrossed in paper books and show me the loss. Youths of today who are losing out of this reading skill didn't start losing out because of ebooks they did so even before they were old enough to appreciate the power of the technology in their hands.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best 4GB RAM Phones & Their Price In Nigeria [Updated] / Pantami Orders Deactivation Of Automatic Voicemails On Existing Phone Lines / Telecom Operators Plan Increase In Tariffs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.