Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,478 members, 7,823,114 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military (36672 Views)

Top 5 Careers That Can Make Your Spouse Cheat On You / Careers In Public Health / Best Paid Careers In Nigeria For 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 5:56pm On Dec 23, 2013
Ene101: Thanks for the great information. I am a graduate and I studied Religious Studies. I will love to join the army through ssc. Will I be given an administrative job or serve as a clergy man.
Is there anything like that? Clergy man.
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Dhelake: 6:03pm On Dec 23, 2013
INDESTRUCTABLEX: Thank you sir for this thread. I always loved the military but I am the only son. I never knew there was anything like short-term service. Anyways, here is my question I am already in my fourth year studying mech engr. What do you think is the best path I can pursue either as a navy or army personnel. Also, what happens if you quick after the six months. How does the whole program work? Thanks
Only son.... Your parents will surely not sign the letter of consent for you
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Dhelake: 6:06pm On Dec 23, 2013
bisi16: I have a desert typed camouflage shorts given 2me by my british soldier cousin. Will I be harassed if I wear it? Its not green lyk ours down here.
That's is what Nigerian soldiers also wear in deserts.... them go beat u oo.... Nigeria is not matured enough for civilians to wear camo any how
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Dhelake: 6:07pm On Dec 23, 2013
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Yes there is
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Tupacx: 6:10pm On Dec 23, 2013
akereconfi: I will be doing a course in Computer Science Forensics and Security, and I discussed with my dad about my intention of Joining the armed Forces (SSS or NA) but not NPF. He gave me the go ahead since he is a retired commandant in NSCDC. By 2016, I should have graduated from the UK with Bsc. How can I go about it and where will I start from if I wanna get enlisted into the N A

I have the zeal and passion to work as a computer forensics

Do they have any section in the army that can accommodate my profession ??

Will I carry Gun?

Will I be sent on Peace Keeping mission?

My mum didn't smile one bit when she heard my intentions(even when I left debreczen)

Yes, there's a section that can accommodate you. There's virtually no profession that isn't available in the military .
Yes, you will carry gun, during your short service training tho, after passing out you will not have to carry riffle about as an officer.
Yes/no, if your your unit is required to go, u will av to. But these days pple even compete to go for peace keeping cos it will fetch you extra cash, and don't be scared as an officer you are most likely not going to be involved in combat, you will just be givin directives, order ranks are the foot soldiers.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Dhelake: 6:16pm On Dec 23, 2013
akereconfi: I will be doing a course in Computer Science Forensics and Security, and I discussed with my dad about my intention of Joining the armed Forces (SSS or NA) but not NPF. He gave me the go ahead since he is a retired commandant in NSCDC. By 2016, I should have graduated from the UK with Bsc. How can I go about it and where will I start from if I wanna get enlisted into the N A

I have the zeal and passion to work as a computer forensics

Do they have any section in the army that can accommodate my profession ??

Will I carry Gun?

Will I be sent on Peace Keeping mission?

My mum didn't smile one bit when she heard my intentions(even when I left debreczen)
I do know that NA can accommodate your profession.. as for the rest.. clueless as you are
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Tupacx: 6:18pm On Dec 23, 2013
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

Yes, there are clergymen in the military, people who are commissioned as Imams, Revs, and pastors. In the military, there is Catholic and Protestant church and there's at least a mosque in every barracks, military men are in charge of those.
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by akereconfi: 6:26pm On Dec 23, 2013
Dhelake: I do know that NA can accommodate your profession.. as for the rest.. clueless as you are

I guessed your weren't born educated. You went to school and I guess your teacher didn't tag you CLUELESS.

You don't know me, I don't know,

I asked a question, but it was my flaws you identified

PEACE!!!
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Nobody: 6:31pm On Dec 23, 2013
bisi16: I have a desert typed camouflage shorts given 2me by my british soldier cousin. Will I be harassed if I wear it? Its not green lyk ours down here.

Were am pass ojo barracks first

DEM GO SALUTE YOU
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 23, 2013

DEM GO SALUTE YOU
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Ene101(m): 6:35pm On Dec 23, 2013
Tupacx:

Yes, there are clergymen in the military, people who are commissioned as Imams, Revs, and pastors. In the military, there is Catholic and Protestant church and there's at least a mosque in every barracks, military men are in charge of those.

Where do I fall,can I be posted to another department, I don't want to be a pastor. Pls note that I studied Religious Studies.
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by KDULAR: 6:35pm On Dec 23, 2013
As a short service or direct short service commissioned officer you can rise as high as Major General or its equivalent however that would have been after your conversion to either Regular , or Direct regular commissioning and you passed all your prerequisite courses along the ladder age still on your side, li you find yourself in the right specialty other political considerations and ultimately God on your side. Some officers who started as Short service commission had risen as high as Service Chiefs ( 3 in the Airforce) and infact one of them became the CDS, that may not be possible in the at this time.
The 6 0r 9 months training for the Direct short service, short service is an intensive military training covering All aspects of the presently 5years regular training and bet you its no joke. The major advantage a regular commissioned officer have is that he has the opportunity to know at least members of courses 3-4 years ahead of him and equally same years below him thus have enough God fathers to feather him in his career than short service course but in terms of military knowledge, competence drive intelligence, capability and maybe capacity there's no difference on the field. Though the short service commissioned officer tend to show more social and temperamental maturity by virtue of rowing up in the larger society than the regular commissioned officer.
There are all professions in the military as we have in the larger society including clergies who receive the same training and can do same thing like any other officer whenever there's a need but they are all highly revered ( Clergies).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by baba11(m): 6:55pm On Dec 23, 2013
Ifyikillz:

DEM GO SALUTE YOU
...guy,u no nice @ol,haba....
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Businesstools(m): 6:56pm On Dec 23, 2013
KDULAR: As a short service or direct short service commissioned officer you can rise as high as Major General or its equivalent however that would have been after your conversion to either Regular , or Direct regular commissioning and you passed all your prerequisite courses along the ladder age still on your side, li you find yourself in the right specialty other political considerations and ultimately God on your side. Some officers who started as Short service commission had risen as high as Service Chiefs ( 3 in the Airforce) and infact one of them became the CDS, that may not be possible in the at this time.
The 6 0r 9 months training for the Direct short service, short service is an intensive military training covering All aspects of the presently 5years regular training and bet you its no joke. The major advantage a regular commissioned officer have is that he has the opportunity to know at least members of courses 3-4 years ahead of him and equally same years below him thus have enough God fathers to feather him in his career than short service course but in terms of military knowledge, competence drive intelligence, capability and maybe capacity there's no difference on the field. Though the short service commissioned officer tend to show more social and temperamental maturity by virtue of rowing up in the larger society than the regular commissioned officer.
There are all professions in the military as we have in the larger society including clergies who receive the same training and can do same thing like any other officer whenever there's a need but they are all highly revered ( Clergies).
I disagree. I belong to the other rank, so I don't know a thing about Officer Training (Regular or DSS), but from experience, the Regular Officers have more confidence and are more combatant than their DSS counterparts. They are also more humane towards the other ranks.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Tupacx: 6:57pm On Dec 23, 2013
Ene101:

Where do I fall,can I be posted to another department, I don't want to be a pastor. Pls note that I studied Religious Studies.

Yes, you can be posted to another field... There are artillery, armored personnels etc, any course of study can fill these departments and you'd be given required training
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 7:02pm On Dec 23, 2013
Dhelake: Only son.... Your parents will surely not sign the letter of consent for you
If I hear, they would. You haven't answered my question.
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by baba11(m): 7:09pm On Dec 23, 2013
Future war would be fought with robots,drones,submarines etc.I wonder where my dear country will be then but we have taken a giant stride in acquiring a non-fly drone.God bless naija!!!
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by KingsJohnson(m): 7:12pm On Dec 23, 2013
Can a friend of mine who is physically challenged (he has a k-leg) join the army?
Secondly, as an undergraduate, is it possible 2 join the army, make some money, retire and then join politics?
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 7:12pm On Dec 23, 2013
What I am asking is what is the short service program like? Do I get to leave after 6months or 9months? Can I live my normal life after that period or I'll be under the navy? Can I pursue a career with my university degree? Police harassment for road done too much oh.
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 23, 2013
I have ond in mechanical engineering and am planning to join Na or nn next year... Pls sir wats d assurance that I will be able d further my education and attain a great hight.... AND which do u think is d best in between army and navy... Thanks
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by KingsJohnson(m): 7:19pm On Dec 23, 2013
Pls is there anything like comedians in military? cus i really wana be a military comedian period

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Nobody: 7:27pm On Dec 23, 2013
I just de laff. A hell lot of funny blunders. Even the person claiming to be an ex-boy does not know common military jargons a barrack boy should know. Yet he is the one heading the horde answering people's enquiry...smh
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by adorable29(f): 7:28pm On Dec 23, 2013
Okpuzu01: In d military, we v other rank n officers cadre. Some ppl believe dat wen dey join d military as a private soldier, chances r dat dey will get to d rank of Major General. Others believs dat wit der degree from the university, wen they join officer's cadre as a short service commissioned officer, dey will get to d rank of Major General. Most ppl dnt know d difference between a regular officer dat spent 4yrs in NDA n a short service commisioned officer dat spend just 6months in d NDA. Feel free to ask me any question bothering u about carrear in the military. I waz der for 12yrs. I voluntarily discharged, I am a military pensioner n a businessman nw.

Good timing! I have a cousin (brother) who is interested in joining the army. Can he join using his secondary school certificate? How does he apply (procedure)? When are the forms usually out?! Awaiting your reply. Thanks.

Please any one else who has answers to the above questions should kindly reply too. Thanks.
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by skyknight571: 7:47pm On Dec 23, 2013
Pls, is there any department in the NA that deals with aviation, something like the army aviation corp /detachment.
I am not talking about airborne dept which consists mainly paratroopers(jumpers ), I mean a department of pilots of light/heavy (fixed wing, rotary wing ) aircraft, maintenance technicians, to reduce too much dependence on the NAF for air power and military air lift; just like it is with the armies of developed countries.
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by AbdulMajeed2(m): 7:57pm On Dec 23, 2013
really I love this post...I want to join the military but I don't have any relation in the military... I applied for NDA twice..I wrote the exam but was bit given admission.....I really desire to serve my country but d opportunity is. not given to me....
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by claremont(m): 7:58pm On Dec 23, 2013
Some of the questions been asked on this thread are clearly ridiculous. Which Army employs disabled people?! Anyone who is not physically and mentally able to go to war and possibly die shouldn't join any Army regardless of country. It's best to join your local charity.

The Nigerian Army is a sad reflection of the Nigerian society, a bunch of corrupt, poorly-trained, poorly-kitted, poorly-paid, physically unfit glorified militia. This is a Army that is more used to using its powers to repress the civil population rather than fighting wars, little wonder they are been disgraced by a ragtag militia group called Boko Haram in their own backyard.

I wouldn't advice anyone to join the Nigerian Army, you would be better off joining the French Foreign Legion or the British Army.
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 23, 2013
claremont: Some of the questions been asked on this thread are clearly ridiculous. Which Army employs disabled people?! Anyone who is not physically and mentally able to go to war and possibly die shouldn't join any Army regardless of country. It's best to join your local charity.

The Nigerian Army is a sad reflection of the Nigerian society, a bunch of corrupt, poorly-trained, poorly-kitted, poorly-paid, physically unfit glorified militia. This is a Army that is more used to using its powers to repress the civil population rather than fighting wars, little wonder they are been disgraced by a ragtag militia group called Boko Haram in their own backyard.

I wouldn't advice anyone to join the Nigerian Army, you would be better off joining the French Foreign Legion or the British Army.
My brother make u no take wetin some people dey spew for here serious. I almost die laughing when the disability thing was mentioned
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by fydence: 8:20pm On Dec 23, 2013
holly-pagan:
my question is why some soldiers no get sence
as you read ur own question so, e be lyk say u urself get sense? ?
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by Mobi47(m): 8:29pm On Dec 23, 2013
pls I want to know the take home salary of a general. My uncle was just promoted to d rank of a general
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 8:52pm On Dec 23, 2013
Mobi47: pls I want to know the take home salary of a general. My uncle was just promoted to d rank of a general
You won kidnap am?

4 Likes

Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by nero69: 9:30pm On Dec 23, 2013
my question is...why is the so-called ex-military man not writing and spelling proper english language. (i.e der, we v) very disgusting
Re: Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military by ubamu2029: 9:44pm On Dec 23, 2013
The structure of the Nigerian military seems to mirror that of the British. However, in the British military, Sergeant Major is a designation and not a rank. The role of the Sergeant Major is usually performed by a Warrant Officer class 1 or 2. I would expect this to be the same in Nigeria. I said this because someone did mention earlier that Sergeant Major is a rank in the Nigerian army.

I was in Nigeria not long ago and was appalled by the conduct of some of our service personnel. I am a member of the British forces and here, we are subjected to the same rules as other citizens. We do get stopped, searched, cautioned etc by the police. I don't remember a case of a whole battalion trooping out to beat up the police for performing their duties.

claremont:

The British military no longer recruit from commonwealth countries unless the applicant has been resident in the UK for at least 5 years.

Mobi47: pls I want to know the take home salary of a general. My uncle was just promoted to d rank of a general

Of what interest is your uncle's salary to you?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Dangote Cement Appoints Cherie Blair, Tony Blair’s Wife As Director / What Jobs Are Available For A Graduate Of Political Science / Got Called Back To Work After Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.