Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,027 members, 7,825,237 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ (3232 Views)

NNPC Questions Missing $2.8bn Oil Money During Buhari's Tenure As Minister / $49.8bn Oil Funds Not Missing, Says Senate / Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 19, 2013
[size=14pt]Alleged missing $49.8bn oil money: Sanusi says ‘I’m sorry’[/size]

Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi yesterday told a reconciliation meeting of stakeholders, set up to resolve the controversy over the alleged missing $49.8 billion oil money that he was “misled.”

He told the stakeholders’ meeting held in Abuja that he was misled by the Reserve Department of the CBN.

In fact, Sanusi reportedly apologized to the Coordinating Minister of the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala for the advertised mix-up contained in his letter to President Goodluck Jonathan, sources at the meeting said.

At the parley attended by officials of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation(NNPC), Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Department of Petroleum Resources(DPR) and Ministry of Finance, the CBN governor reportedly recanted contents of his earlier allegation that a whopping $49.8 billion was missing from the Federation Account, having been unremitted by the NNPC as crude oil sales.

The meeting, which ended at 1.30am yesterday, was said to have reconciled all issues relating to the alleged missing money. Sources at the meeting said the CBN presentation was nothing different from the contents of the letter already published in the media. It was confirmed that after it was established that the CBN has no other information to add to what was contained in the letter sent to the President, the parley then turned to the NNPC to clarify issues.

Submissions by the NNPC immediately justified that it made necessary payments to the CBN.

The presentation by the NNPC indicated that contrary to the contents of the letter by Sanusi, there are other agencies of government, which collect oil revenue. Its officials stated that the CBN can only announce that a certain amount was missing after it has checked the amount paid in by all relevant agencies.

“At the end of the presentation by the NNPC, the CBN governor immediately clarified that he was misled by the Reserve Department of the apex bank which he said did not give him a full view of all the revenue streams to the Federation Account.. He embraced and apologized to the Minister of Finance for the mix-up,” said the source.

Meanwhile, appearing before the Senate Committee on Finance yesterday, Sanusi reiterated that the letter was not to indict the NNPC of corruption but that it was an invitation that was to lead to further investigation of the allegations raised in the document forwarded to the President.

He also recanted before senators that no oil money was missing from the Federation Account, adding that the only amount left to reconcile is just $12 billion.

His words: “I found it very unfortunate (that) it was leaked to the press and the answer is ‘Yes’, the CBN governor did send that letter with those contents. By way of those contents, the Central Bank and Finance Ministry and the government were very much concerned over the years at the very low rate of accretion to the reserves in spite of very high level of oil prices and in particular, depletion of excess crude account in spite of what seems to be very high level of oil sales.

“Now in investigation and trying to understand where those leakages were, our attention was drawn to a huge difference between what appeared to be export of crude made by NNPC and amount repatriated into the crude equity account of the Federal Government.

“What I would like to do is, given the progress we have made, to request that we be given little more time to continue with this process and come back with the final position that is a common position among us if the committee will so grant us…”, Sanusi prayed.

But the Finance Minister insisted before the Senate committee that the only money left to reconcile the accounts is $10.8 billion. “I just wanted to add that we found about $10.8 billion. He mentioned $12billion,” Okonjo-Iweala said.

SOURCE: http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/alleged-missing-49-8bn-oil-money-sanusi-okonjo-iweala-im-sorry/
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by PHEMIEY(m): 3:16pm On Dec 19, 2013
hmmmmm...
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 19, 2013
MOD come do your work. grin

1 Like

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by theoctopus: 6:53pm On Dec 19, 2013
No need for apology. He has goofed majorly. He should resign honorably or get fired. He has breached the FG's ethics code and put the country in Jeopardy with his action. He should just go! There is no room for politics in civil service. Nigeria is bigger than all of us and no one should bring in politics when it concerns the welfare of Nigeria as a country. Unfortunately, that is the new politics APC is playing today. They are so desperate, they will rather bring Nigeria down economically and otherwise just to give themselves a backdoor into the corridors of power. He should resign now!

10 Likes

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by gramci: 7:45pm On Dec 19, 2013

“At the end of the presentation by the NNPC, the CBN governor immediately clarified that he was misled by the Reserve Department of the apex bank which he said did not give him a full view of all the revenue streams to the Federation Account

A CBN governor that does not know all the revenue stream to the Federation Account shous humbly step aside

6 Likes

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by gramci: 7:45pm On Dec 19, 2013

“At the end of the presentation by the NNPC, the CBN governor immediately clarified that he was misled by the Reserve Department of the apex bank which he said did not give him a full view of all the revenue streams to the Federation Account

A CBN governor that does not know all the revenue stream to the Federation Account should humbly step aside

2 Likes

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by automaticcars: 7:47pm On Dec 19, 2013
LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by gramci: 7:56pm On Dec 19, 2013
automaticcars: LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE

you are a disappointment to Tinubu
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by bamosagie(m): 8:11pm On Dec 19, 2013
Why is this not on frontpage

1 Like

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Nobody: 8:14pm On Dec 19, 2013
bamosagie: Why is this not on frontpage

So far I've seen 2 MODs view this topic and exited. I think Seun should employ new MODs who don't have any political affiliation. Seun needs traffic for this forum to grow but his MODs are ignoring posts that would create traffic because of their selfish political affiliation.

#MyThougthThough

4 Likes

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Chubhie: 8:28pm On Dec 19, 2013
I'm also expecting all APC agents who went to town with the news to do the needful. It is always wise to make your words sweet just in case you are made to swallow them.

All the children of anger should be forced to swallow their vomit. It also follows that Mods should do the needful failure to do so will lend credence to the rumour making waves about a certain conspiracy.

1 Like

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by luvinhubby(m): 8:36pm On Dec 19, 2013
Sanusi Lamido Sanusi *inOshiomhole`ssarcasticvoice* GO & DIE. sad

1 Like

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Obiagu1(m): 8:39pm On Dec 19, 2013
bamosagie: Why is this not on frontpage

... because Nairaland is now officially an APC's media outlet, just like SaharaReporters.

4 Likes

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by israel007: 8:45pm On Dec 19, 2013
This sanusi, ivee never liked.

Before you leave, please allow us to be able to withdraw $$ and take to mallams to buy. The banks are ripping us off!
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by eagleeye2: 9:02pm On Dec 19, 2013
I am neither for PDP or APC.
But if it smell like fish, and tastes like fish..... then it must be fish.
I am not impresses by Sanusi's Apology.

1 Like

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by deeptesting(m): 10:28pm On Dec 19, 2013
This goes to show that Goodluck Jonathan is a true Nigerian who wants the best for this country;fine he has his failures but it is quite unfortunate that everyone is trying to pull him down even those he trusted so much and assigned responsibility to help build Nigeria. I am pretty sure Sanusi would have heard of his sack on AIT if it were to be OBJ.. His apology is hypocritical for failing to verify his facts and making such a weighty allegation to further dent the image and administration of Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. The opposition are doing very well in their propaganda and I hope the President will do well in using his last life line to bring dividends of democracy to Nigerians and give capital punishment to corrupt govt. Officials.

5 Likes

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Rad1cal: 10:39pm On Dec 19, 2013
Money is still missing,what is the way forward. sad
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Kairoseki77: 10:45pm On Dec 19, 2013
theoctopus: No need for apology. He has goofed majorly. He should resign honorably or get fired. He has breached the FG's ethics code and put the country in Jeopardy with his action. He should just go! There is no room for politics in civil service. Nigeria is bigger than all of us and no one should bring in politics when it concerns the welfare of Nigeria as a country. Unfortunately, that is the new politics APC is playing today. They are so desperate, they will rather bring Nigeria down economically and otherwise just to give themselves a backdoor into the corridors of power. He should resign now!

Are you daft?

That letter was between him and GEJ and was leaked without his knowledge. Sanusi is a member of PDP.

Maybe you want to start a campaign to turn Sanusi against Jonathan as well? GEJ supporters love to keep creating enemies for him. SMH!

1 Like

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 19, 2013
...And this topic will not smell the front page. Isn't it obvious now who's running NL?
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Onlytruth(m): 11:10pm On Dec 19, 2013
As far as I'm concerned, once a CBN governor compromises himself by being partisan, HE SHOULD GO!
He should either resign or be fired.
The man is a danger to the present government. He is NOT impartial, and is steeply in bed with opposition to the present government.
The way I see it, he has no credibility left.

6 Likes

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by DerideGull(m): 11:59pm On Dec 19, 2013
The goofy character has no credibility left to leverage a claim to the position of governor of CBN. GEJ should remove the technically inapt goon as governor.
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Kairoseki77: 12:04am On Dec 20, 2013
DerideGull: The goofy character has no credibility left to leverage a claim to the position of governor of CBN. GEJ should remove the technically inapt goon as governor.

Onlytruth: As far as I'm concerned, once a CBN governor compromises himself by being partisan, HE SHOULD GO!
He should either resign or be fired.
The man is a danger to the present government. He is NOT impartial, and is steeply in bed with opposition to the present government.
The way I see it, he has no credibility left.

theoctopus: No need for apology. He has goofed majorly. He should resign honorably or get fired. He has breached the FG's ethics code and put the country in Jeopardy with his action. He should just go! There is no room for politics in civil service. Nigeria is bigger than all of us and no one should bring in politics when it concerns the welfare of Nigeria as a country. Unfortunately, that is the new politics APC is playing today. They are so desperate, they will rather bring Nigeria down economically and otherwise just to give themselves a backdoor into the corridors of power. He should resign now!

"Please, Mr. President, be very wary of assistants, aides and collaborators who look for enemies for you. I have seen them with you and some were around me when I was in your position. I knew how not to allow them create enemies for me. If you allow them, everybody except them will be your enemy." - Obasanjo

"Don't always consider critics on national issues as enemies. Some of them may be as patriotic and nationalistic as you and I who had been in government. Some of them have as much passion for Nigeria as we have... Please, Mr. President, be very wary of assistants, aides and collaborators who look for enemies for you. I have seen them with you and some were around me when I was in your position. For me, there is neither North-South divide nor Christian-Moslem divide but one Nigeria." - Obasanjo

The enemy creators at work!
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by najoke: 12:08am On Dec 20, 2013
Dem don give am Ghana must go.............end of story

NEXT!!!!

1 Like

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by theoctopus: 12:12am On Dec 20, 2013
Kairoseki77:

"Please, Mr. President, be very wary of assistants, aides and collaborators who look for enemies for you. I have seen them with you and some were around me when I was in your position. I knew how not to allow them create enemies for me. If you allow them, everybody except them will be your enemy." - Obasanjo

"Don't always consider critics on national issues as enemies. Some of them may be as patriotic and nationalistic as you and I who had been in government. Some of them have as much passion for Nigeria as we have... Please, Mr. President, be very wary of assistants, aides and collaborators who look for enemies for you. I have seen them with you and some were around me when I was in your position. For me, there is neither North-South divide nor Christian-Moslem divide but one Nigeria." - Obasanjo

The enemy creators at work!

Can you just shut your mouth. You have nothing upstairs! You are even quoting OBJ. Isnt that shameful? Who cares whether you hate GEJ or not? No one cares, You have hated hgim since he became president so what has changed. Just shut up my friend!

1 Like

Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by theoctopus: 12:12am On Dec 20, 2013
na_joke: Dem don give am Ghana must go.............end of story

NEXT!!!!

If you are right, that is another reason to fire him!
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Kairoseki77: 12:13am On Dec 20, 2013
theoctopus:

If you are right, that is another reason to fire him!

Yet you keep wondering why PDP is shrinking.
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Onlytruth(m): 12:16am On Dec 20, 2013
Kairoseki77:

[size=16pt]TOTAL CRAP! [/size]

The enemy creators are those who want a Nigerian president to be a lame duck because he is a minority from the South of the country.
The enemy creators are those who want a Nigerian president to retain an evil order instituted over four decades ago to keep Nigeria permanently under the control of civil war victors.
What the enemy creators fail to understand is that Nigeria has changed in ways that none of them can control.
They no longer have monopoly of "news".
Their days are over in Nigeria.

Jonathan, you have only two things coming for you -
Either:
(1) GLORY if you deal with these enemy creators once and for all
OR
(2) Humiliation out of office if you fail to do so.
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Kairoseki77: 12:19am On Dec 20, 2013
Onlytruth:

The enemy creators are those who want a Nigerian president to be a lame duck because he is a minority from the South of the country.
The enemy creators are those who want a Nigerian president to retain an evil order instituted over four decades ago to keep Nigeria permanently under the control of civil war victors.
What the enemy creators fail to understand is that Nigeria has changed in ways that none of them can control.
They no longer have monopoly of "news".
Their days are over in Nigeria.

Jonathan, you have only two things coming for you -
Either:
(1) GLORY if you deal with these enemy creators once and for all
OR
(2) Humiliation out of office if you fail to do so.

Mention of the civil war and mention of regions. undecided

PDP is supposed to be the national party, but you sound like Asari Dokubo. Why is that?

APC is becoming a national party, where every Nigerian is welcome. While PDP is becoming a small small party filled with hate, that sees enemies behind every corner.

Sad.
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Onlytruth(m): 12:21am On Dec 20, 2013
Kairoseki77:

Mention of the civil war and mention of regions. undecided

PDP is supposed to be the national party, but you sound like Asari Dokubo. Why is that?

APC is becoming a national party, where every Nigerian is welcome, while PDP is becoming a hate filled smal small party.

Sad.

No, actually you are seeing things in OPPOSITES.
Sule Lamido -a disgruntled PDP member called APC a party of angry people.
In other words, APC stands for ANGRY PEOPLES CONGRESS. cheesy grin grin
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Onlytruth(m): 12:22am On Dec 20, 2013
So, the question is WHAT IS APC ANGRY ABOUT? lol
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Kairoseki77: 12:23am On Dec 20, 2013
Onlytruth:

No, actually you are seeing things in OPPOSITES.
Sule Lamido -a disgruntled PDP member called APC a party of angry people.
In other words, APC stands for ANGRY PEOPLES CONGRESS. cheesy grin grin

Then why is Obj writing angry letters. Is he not a PDP President?
Re: Over Alleged Missing $49.8bn Oil Money: Sanusi Says ‘i’m Sorry’ by Nobody: 12:25am On Dec 20, 2013
Kairoseki77:

Then why is Obj writing angry letters. Is he not a PDP President?

grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Kills Nigerian Army Captain Eight Months After His Wedding(Photos) / Thanks To All APC Supporters / Today The Brave Enyimba City Of Aba Celebrated The Biafra Heroes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.