Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,266 members, 7,818,923 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Is The Tithe For Today? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Tithe For Today? (829 Views)

TB Joshua Returns The Tithe Of A Widower And Father Of 3 / Is It A Sin If I Spend My Tithe For This Month And Pay Back The Next Month? / Is Tithe For Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Tithe For Today? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:51am On Dec 20, 2013
Is the tithe for today?

Of all the questions I am asked to answer, this is beyond a doubt the most difficult. Not only because the subject of tithing is hotly debated, but because I must confess that I personally have not always been faithful in giving a tenth or more to the work of the Lord. And I am not alone. Research demonstrates that not only do the vast majority of Christians not tithe regularly, but many give little or nothing at all. Thus, while addressing this question is incredibly convicting, it also is increasingly crucial.

First, as Randy Alcorn has well said, tithing may well be regarded as the training wheels of giving. As such, tithing is as important today as it has ever been. We all need to learn what it is to stride free and unfettered down the path of Christian stewardship. For in learning to give we also are learning to lean more heavily upon our heavenly Father and less heavily upon ourselves. Those who have travelled the Calvary road for any length of time surely can testify to the truth that God is ever faithful. Not only so, but as we weekly set aside our tithes and offerings we are reminded that all we are, or ever hope to be, is a gift from God.

Furthermore, as Moses communicated to the children of Israel, we tithe "so that [we] may learn to revere the Lord [our] God always" (Deuteronomy 14:23). As we all know, learning to reverence the name of God is a timeless principle—as crucial today as in the days of Moses. Long before Moses, the Bible records Jacob’s promise to God: “Of all that you give me I will give you a tenth” (Genesis 28:22). Long after Moses, Jesus reaffirmed the practice of tithing (Matthew 23:23)—not for outward appearances but as an outward expression of an inward reality.
Additionally, in the fourth century the great church father Jerome echoed the words of Malachi who intimated that failing to pay tithes and offerings was tantamount to “robbing” God—a prescription for financial ruin (Malachi 3:8 ).

Finally, it should be noted that tithing in the Old Testament not only prepared God’s people to become hilarious givers but produced a temple of unparalleled splendour. The Israelites who pined for the pleasures and protection of pagan Egypt more than for the One who had miraculously parted the Red Sea had been transformed into joyful givers. The Bible chronicles the prayer of David as he thanked God for the very privilege of being able to give to the work of the Lord: “But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand . . . and now I have seen with joy how willingly your people who are here have given to you” (1 Chronicles 29:14, 17). There is no telling what can be accomplished in our generation if we, too, may but catch the joy of contagious giving. Not only would we be empowered to spread the gospel around the globe, but we would be enabled to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and care for the sick. Like our forefathers who founded great centres of Christian education, established countless hospitals, and funded myriad relief organizations, we might yet leave an indelible mark on our generation. For only when the training wheels of tithing come off will the world of free will giving become our playground.

--Hank Hanegraaff | The Complete Bible Answer Book

For further study, see Randy Alcorn, Money, Possessions and Eternity, rev. ed. (Wheaton, Ill.:Tyndale House Publishers, 2003). http://www.equip.org/bookstore/the-treasure-principle-discovering-the-secret-of-joyful-giving/ or http://www.equip.org/bookstore/books/the-law-of-rewards-giving-what-you-cant-keep-to-gain-what-you-cant-lose/

Honour the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.” ---Proverbs 3:9–10

1 Like

Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by Nobody: 12:34am On Dec 22, 2013
Hmmmn..rather surprising the jet crew have not paid a visit here yet. grin
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by chiteny(m): 6:42am On Dec 22, 2013
Na wa o. Una no dey tire for this tithe or no tithe? As soon as one thread on it dey fade another two dey open. Non-tithers make una no pay una tithe. Tithers make una pay una tithes. When Jesus come we go know which one be true. It could happen that the both of them sef na true. THREAD CLOSED!!!! angry angry
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:12pm On Sep 14, 2014
Bidam:

Hmmmn..rather surprising the jet crew have not paid a visit here yet. grin

Is that surprising? undecided
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by PastorKun(m): 3:16pm On Sep 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Is that surprising? undecided

tongue
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by PastorKun(m): 3:18pm On Sep 14, 2014
Bidam: Hmmmn..rather surprising the jet crew have not paid a visit here yet. grin

There is absolutely. Nothing in the OP that even remotely suggests that Christians should continue this obsolete Jewish practise of tithing.
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:46pm On Sep 14, 2014
PastorKun:

There is absolutely. Nothing in the OP that even remotely suggests that Christians should continue this obsolete Jewish practise of tithing.

Na only you waka come? tongue
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by Gombs(m): 4:00pm On Sep 14, 2014

Ola leave tithes alone na... do you like arguments? That your tithe and offering thread is not dead yet o cheesy
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by Ukutsgp(m): 6:17pm On Sep 14, 2014
chiteny: Na wa o. Una no dey tire for this tithe or no tithe? As soon as one thread on it dey fade another two dey open. Non-tithers make una no pay una tithe. Tithers make una pay una tithes. When Jesus come we go know which one be true. It could happen that the both of them sef na true. THREAD CLOSED!!!! angry angry
exactly my thought. is dis guy not tired of this tithe thread?
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by Ukutsgp(m): 6:19pm On Sep 14, 2014
it is not a must to pay tithe.
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by Gombs(m): 8:01pm On Sep 14, 2014
Ukutsgp: it is not a must to pay tithe.

Certainly!
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by Ukutsgp(m): 8:18pm On Sep 14, 2014
Gombs:

Certainly!
so why over flogging the issue
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by Gombs(m): 8:49pm On Sep 14, 2014
Ukutsgp: so why over flogging the issue

Because I know the benefits, but if you don't want it, why should I force you? Is salvation by force? Why do we overflog it? Now, I'm not comparing both
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by Ukutsgp(m): 9:09pm On Sep 14, 2014
Gombs:

Because I know the benefits, but if you don't want it, why should I force you? Is salvation by force? Why do we overflog it? Now, I'm not comparing both
without salvation one cannot make heaven but tithe is nt needed to make heaven or get blessing from God.
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by Gombs(m): 9:33pm On Sep 14, 2014
Ukutsgp: without salvation one cannot make heaven but tithe is nt needed to make heaven or get blessing from God.

Ok sir
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by PastorKun(m): 6:23am On Sep 15, 2014
Gombs:

And what are these imaginary benefits I pray thee tell.
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by Gombs(m): 7:04am On Sep 15, 2014
PastorKun:

And what are these imaginary benefits I pray thee tell.

Visit other tithe threads for concise details
Re: Is The Tithe For Today? by PastorKun(m): 8:46am On Sep 15, 2014
Gombs:

Visit other tithe threads for concise details

I thought the bible was meant to be our reference point That said you know that i have visited virtually every tithe thread on this forum and these "details" are missing there.

(1) (Reply)

Could The Heart Of The Average Nigerian Moslem Be Sympathetic To Boko Haram? / Religion Has Failed Nigeria. / Muslims Watch This And Click Like If You Agree ( Warning mildly graphic )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.