Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,734 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors (710 Views)

Dasukigate: Return Your N260m Share, Oshiomhole Tells Anennih / Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep / “No Work No Pay” – Fgn To Civil Servants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors by Nobody: 1:19pm On Dec 20, 2013
No work, no pay, Oshiomhole tells striking doctors

December 19, 2013

Oshiomhole with Dr. Eghe Abe

Governor Adams Oshiomhole of the southern Nigerian state of Edo Thursday reprimanded doctors for joining the ongoing nationwide strike by doctors in federal employment.

Oshiomhole at a meeting with the Association of Resident Doctors, Medical and Dental Consultants Association in Government House in Benin, described the warning strike by the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), as provocative, illegal, avoidable and unnecessary.

“If you have any grievances you are obliged by law, you are obliged by tradition, you are actually compelled by your own oath not to abandon your patients off as if there is pleasure. The facts are not in dispute because doctors under in the employment of Edo State Government are not staff of the Federal Government.

“The Federal Government has no hand in your employment, no hand in your promotion and they have no hand in your posting. How we find money to pay, the Federal Government has no hand in it. So, I believe therefore, that even if we are to talk in the context of employer-employee relationship, you are obliged by law to state the particulars of your grievances to your employer,” he said.

According to the governor, there was nothing in the convention or the law that allows the doctors to simply walk out of their job, adding that the fact that their colleagues under Federal employment had dispute and they sought meeting with the Minister of Health, those were meetings between their colleagues and the Federal Government, asking how is Edo State a part of such meeting.

“I expect that if you feel obliged to go on that strike, I think you should inform us that the strike is inevitable. I do understand the logic and essence of solidarity, but in this business, before you resort to solidarity action, people who are themselves directly involved in the dispute may choose on their own to first go on strike.

“If after sometime you feel that no one is listening and there is need to reinforce by way of solidarity, subject to the rule of law, then you can decide to go on a secondary action. I am not aware that you can go on strike the same day as those who are directly affected,” he said.
The Governor who expressed disappointment at the manner of solidarity by the Edo Chapter of the NMA, asked, “If solidarity was the basis of your participation, why are doctors in the private practice not part of the action?” He therefore called on them to have a rethink to save the lives of the people.

“I am unable to resist the conclusion that the strike like some other ones are designed to enrich those at the private practice by shutting down public hospitals so that those who are sick have no choice but to go to private clinics where some of your members on strike from work go to their own clinics to work.

“And to think that anyone would do this, such that those who cannot afford private health care are now left to die, is a gross abuse of your skills. It borders on blackmail on the entire system and holds all of us to ransom. ‘When a doctor no longer bothers about the life of a patient, that is the beginning of the end.”

He therefore warned that “In Edo State, we will not submit to this blackmail. You are doing essential services because of the nature of your work, you are not expected to go on strike. Let us realise that beyond naira and kobo, there is life.

“I simply don’t understand why the NMA wants to preside over mass death at the eve of Christmas. Even If you don’t have other sentiments, on the mood of the Christmas, you choose to watch people die. That is why yesterday, I told the Honourable Commissioner for Health to put you on notice that if a doctor choose not to work I am sure they also know that they have elected not to be paid.

“Where else in the world do doctors go on warning strike for five consecutive days. If the idea is to warn, do you really need five days of watching people die for you to make your point? I worry for Nigeria because no country can make it this kind of cycle.”

Responding on behalf of the others, Dr. Eghe Abe said the Association would convene to take a dispassionate consideration of the governor’s address and do what is in the interest of the state.

Source
Re: No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors by spenca: 1:25pm On Dec 20, 2013
Adam should know better than this
Re: No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors by Nobody: 6:26pm On Dec 20, 2013
All the Progre-thieves must come here and approve or disapprove!
Re: No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors by Articul8(m): 6:34pm On Dec 20, 2013
Now it is no work,no pay! Wen he. Was d NLC president,am sure he dint subscribe to dt slogan. Na naija we dey.
Re: No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors by docsholz(m): 6:44pm On Dec 20, 2013
All these apc governors are tyrants,i pity this country if they get their hands on d presidency
Re: No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors by daylae(m): 7:00pm On Dec 20, 2013
sometimes it takes one to move to the other side of the divide to get a clearer view. can't believe this is the same oshiomole who used to be the heavy weight champ in decrying government's ill treatment of workers. its either he's now realize that not every demands of workers can be met, or that he has forgotten so soon his journey to his current position.
Re: No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors by Nsonso: 7:01pm On Dec 20, 2013
you better attend to their needs, u knw that method is no longer holding.
Re: No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 20, 2013
He is just joking. He did the worst as a labour leader
Re: No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 20, 2013
Leaders of labour unions have turned to terrorists in Nigeria. It is unthinkable that doctors would shut down the entire public hospitals in the name of fighting for better welfare. Where else in the world does this madness happen? Only in Nigeria. First it was ASUU and now doctors. People have lost their conscience in this country. Very very unfortunate.

Anyway, I'm glad governor Oshiomole told the state NMA officials the bitter truth.
Re: No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 20, 2013
Perhaps one of the commentators above would be kind enough to explain what is so disagreeable in the views expressed by Governor Oshiomhole?

“I expect that if you feel obliged to go on that strike, I think you should inform us that the strike is inevitable. I do understand the logic and essence of solidarity, but in this business, before you resort to solidarity action, people who are themselves directly involved in the dispute may choose on their own to first go on strike.

If after sometime you feel that no one is listening and there is need to reinforce by way of solidarity, subject to the rule of law, then you can decide to go on a secondary action. I am not aware that you can go on strike the same day as those who are directly affected,” he said.
Re: No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors by themaskedman: 8:12pm On Dec 20, 2013
I can‘t believe this thread is still as dry as the Sahara Desert. Bring on ASUU and the FG and the fake and hypocrital human rights activists will flood the thread with curses and insults on the President.
Re: No Work, No Pay, Oshiomhole Tells Striking Doctors by jmaine: 8:15pm On Dec 20, 2013
We need to rise this thread up . . . . cool

(1) (Reply)

We’ve Taken Over B’haram Base,says Military / NEF To Jonah..."produce Chibok Girls Or Forget 2015"! / Malaysian Teenager Gang-raped By 38 Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.