Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,196 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN (11048 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Emmyk(m): 1:46pm On Dec 21, 2013
Caracta: Interesting...I must say.

@the debaters, kindly suggest ways in which we can know a leader is not and cannot be corrupt. Furthermore, I'll like this topic to be linked to the corruption in the educational sector.

An incorruptible leader has an humble background. His past is easily accessible; no past crime record(s).
So, to link it with Education sector of Nigeria, i will say our education sector needs proper funding and recruiting of competent/certified hands.

Not just appointment by leaders playing politics.

These will surely boost the morale of students. As they will try emulate them.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 1:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
Debaters,

Please respond to judges' questions.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by PrinceJustice(m): 1:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
promisechild: this means merit has been sacrificed for flaw from the onset. pls can u tell me some qualities of a leader if it includes giving money out to get favour?
[i]Still waiting for that definition of a Leader[/i]

Our leaders didn't force their way into positions, the followers (who know them) put them there
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by PrinceJustice(m): 1:50pm On Dec 21, 2013
Caracta:
@the debaters, kindly suggest ways in which we can know a leader is not and cannot be corrupt. Furthermore, I'll like this topic to be linked to the corruption in the educational sector.
You mean linking in terms of the answer you seek (directly) or in terms of the topic itself
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by jaybee3(m): 1:51pm On Dec 21, 2013
@UNN

1) It wouldn't be out of place to conclude that one of the major causes of corruption in Nigeria is poverty. Nigeria is a country rich in natural resources and thus have benefited from the economic gains that such brings since independence. We can confidently conclude that the high poverty index is as a direct result of constant bleeding of the nations wealth by the so called leaders.

How do you expect us to change course if we eliminate corruption among the followers in this instance?

2) I quite agree that a leader is somewhat a good reflection of his/her followers. Would you agree with me that no follower is born corrupt and one is more likely to become corrupt if one is born into a corruption laden environment.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 1:55pm On Dec 21, 2013
Quick replies

Please
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Emmyk(m): 1:56pm On Dec 21, 2013
Caracta: @Emmyk, what do you think defines a leader? If you were the leader of a group and all the other members were involved in corruption, thereby endangering your life and that of your family, how would you maintain your stand and still work effectively with them?
A leader makes sacrifices. He is humble. Knows the act of relation. And he leads by example.

All members of my group being corrupt? I will put all my abilities to persuade them, letting them know reasons why we need to be selfless in our services. If that does not work, If I lose my life, my work lives on.It is a legacy.
Leadership is all about sacrifices.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by promisechild(m): 1:56pm On Dec 21, 2013
Prince Justice:
[i]Still waiting for that definition of a Leader[/i]

Our leaders didn't force their way into positions, the followers (who know them) put them there
a leader is a person that has a special skill and can be emulated by people. Can you emulate your leader ? Do votes counts in Nigeria? .
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by PrinceJustice(m): 1:59pm On Dec 21, 2013
jay bee: @UNN

It wouldn't be out of place to conclude that one of the major causes of corruption in Nigeria is poverty. Nigeria is a country rich in natural resources and thus have benefited from the economic gains that such brings since independence. We can confidently conclude that the high poverty index is as a direct result of constant bleeding of the nations wealth by the so called leaders.

How do you expect us to change course if we eliminate corruption among the followers in this instance?
Thank you very much for this question.
I tell you, if we eliminate corruption among the followers, we would as well eliminated it from among the leaders.
Nigeria is a democratic state, power belongs to the people; leaders will be made to more accountable for all their actions. They will be very careful in their dealings, because they know the followers are watching and are concerned.

Moreover, it will very difficult for any corrupt follower to get into any leadership positon
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by chynazom(f): 1:59pm On Dec 21, 2013
jay bee: @UNN

It wouldn't be out of place to conclude that one of the major causes of corruption in Nigeria is poverty. Nigeria is a country rich in natural resources and thus have benefited from the economic gains that such brings since independence. We can confidently conclude that the high poverty index is as a direct result of constant bleeding of the nations wealth by the so called leaders.

Poverty truthfully causes corruption.You mentioned about the gains our resources have brought us since independence, that is a long time. The 'gains' did not come all in one day, it's a gradual process.Same with elimination of corruption from followers, when it starts from the root(the followers) it will definitely reach the top when this followers become leaders and soon we'd starting reaping our fruits. Thank you!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Caracta(f): 2:00pm On Dec 21, 2013
Prince Justice:
You mean linking in terms of the answer you seek (directly) or in terms of the topic itself

In terms of, "do we blame the leaders for the problems we have or our lecturers for siphoning funds?"

Emmyk: A leader makes sacrifices. He is humble. Knows the act of relation. And he leads by example.

All members of my group being corrupt? I will put all my abilities to persuade them, letting them know reasons why we need to be selfless in our services. If that does not work, If I lose my life, my work lives on.It is a legacy.
Leadership is all about sacrifices.

That means, you think it's appropriate for a "good" leader to die because there are corrupt ones who are too stubborn to change their ways. Now look at it this way, if every "good" leader was killed by the corrupt ones, that means in the long run, only corrupt leaders would remain. Right?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by PrinceJustice(m): 2:03pm On Dec 21, 2013
promisechild: a leader is a person that has a special skill and can be emulated by people. Can you emulate your leader ? Do votes counts in Nigeria? .
Yes they do bro! If they don't, how did the leaders come into office?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Caracta(f): 2:05pm On Dec 21, 2013
@princejustice, if you had a child who had written exams into a higher institution and passed 6 times, but couldn't get admission into the school of his choice simply because he didn't grease the palms of the admission officers, would you, out of love for your child, try to get him into the institution AT ALL COST, even if it means greasing some palms, or would you rather have the child remain at home and keep trying till he finally gets in, even if it would take 4 more years?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Emmyk(m): 2:05pm On Dec 21, 2013
Caracta:
That means, you think it's appropriate for a "good" leader to die because there are corrupt ones who are too stubborn to change their ways. Now look at it this way, if every "good" leader was killed by the corrupt ones, that means in the long run, only corrupt leaders would remain. Right?
Not at all, with eloquent and persuasive use of words, you could change these people.

Even Jesus had to make such sarcrifice. This is not to say Jesus lacked Eloquency or was not charismatic enough.

But, I think these people will determine your decision. smiley
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by promisechild(m): 2:07pm On Dec 21, 2013
jay bee: @ KSU

1)It's true that good leaders with good vision and strategy can effect change even when it seems impossible. As the president of Nigeria, how would you have been able to solve NEPA problem considering the corruption engulfed within that parastatal is evident at every hierarchal level of that department.

2) Corruption is only prevalent if there is an enabling environment. Nigeria as an environment is a democracy meaning the leader is bounded by the constitution. How do you think getting rid of a corrupt leader but not cleansing a corrupt system will help get us to the promise land

the president has the power to punish and dismiss any body engaged in criminal activities in the power sector.

So as a president I would look into the sector thoroughly by investing more in the sector because electricity is the road to development in a country

I think when there is a revolutionary change of leader, the new leader reshuffle or appoint new people to take charge as it was done in Libya. So the system is cleansed

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Caracta(f): 2:08pm On Dec 21, 2013
@chynazom, do you blame the lady for sleeping with her lecturer out of fear and pressure too? In this case, the lady is the follower and the lecturer is the leader?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 2:10pm On Dec 21, 2013
Audience

You may ask your questions.

Please let your questions be direct and specific
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by PrinceJustice(m): 2:12pm On Dec 21, 2013
Caracta: @princejustice, if you had a child who had written exams into a higher institution and passed 6 times, but couldn't get admission into the school of his choice simply because he didn't grease the palms of the admission officers, would you, out of love for your child, try to get him into the institution AT ALL COST, even if it means greasing some palms, or would you rather have the child remain at home and keep trying till he finally gets in, even if it would take 4 more years?

This is what I will do:

Change the school! Simple!

That can't be the only school that offers such a course. Trust me, I have had a personal experience of such a situation before and I did not compromise

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Caracta(f): 2:15pm On Dec 21, 2013
@promise child, a man was elected into a public office by his group of friends who fought tooth and nail to have him in power. He was doing everything right and wouldn't tolerate corruption. After few months, the people that voted and placed him in that position wanted him to award a project to them. He knew they wouldn't execute the project well, so he declined. Then this people sought to use his family against him, implicate him, cook up stories and sell to the press, paint him black, etc.

If you were the man, how would you handle this pressure, safeguard your family, show to your followers that the stories were cooked up, avoid impeachment and still remain string?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Emmyk(m): 2:15pm On Dec 21, 2013
2) Corruption is only prevalent if there
is an enabling environment. Nigeria as
an environment is a democracy
meaning the leader is bounded by the
constitution. How do you think getting
rid of a corrupt leader but not cleansing
a corrupt system will help get us to the
promise land.

By obeying the principles of Rule of law. Which says, no one is above the law, equality.
From there, things will be in the right way they should be.
Because, as a corrupt leader, you know if are caught doing the wrong thing, they will treat your case just like any ordinary Nigerian.

This will guide your conducts, and before you know it, Nigeria will be cleansed. smiley

So, after getting rid of corrupt leaders, the next set to take their place will be guided by principles of Rule of Law. No immunity for them! The President is just as equal as my houseboy!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 21, 2013
@ prince justice you as a follower, 300,000 naira is needed to secure a contract worth 2billion naira. Will u pay the said sum to secure it? Looking at the advantages and the poverty level
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 2:20pm On Dec 21, 2013
boay: Audience

You may ask your questions.

Please let your questions be direct and specific
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by promisechild(m): 2:21pm On Dec 21, 2013
Caracta: @promise child, a man was elected into a public office by his group of friends who fought tooth and nail to have him in power. He was doing everything right and wouldn't tolerate corruption. After few months, the people that voted and placed him in that position wanted him to award a project to them. He knew they wouldn't execute the project well, so he declined. Then this people sought to use his family against him, implicate him, cook up stories and sell to the press, paint him black, etc.

If you were the man, how would you handle this pressure, safeguard your family, show to your followers that the stories were cooked up, avoid impeachment and still remain string?
in every situation there is always a solution

As a leader who doesn't tolerate corruption I believe my previous works would speak for me because i would be the people's person, moreover I would leave them alone to go on with their plan because I have no skeleton in my cupboard.

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 2:25pm On Dec 21, 2013
Judges,

Please start compiling the result.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by chynazom(f): 2:25pm On Dec 21, 2013
Caracta: @chynazom, do you blame the lady for sleeping with her lecturer out of fear and pressure too? In this case, the lady is the follower and the lecturer is the leader?
If more and more girls keep on giving in to these lecturers, they (the lecturers)begin to feel they have immunity to such acts.
This cannot always be the case all times, there is room for the reverse too.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by PrinceJustice(m): 2:27pm On Dec 21, 2013
Fentoluwa: @ prince justice you as a follower, 300,000 naira is needed to secure a contract worth 2billion naira. Will u pay the said sum to secure it? Looking at the advantages and the poverty level

Personally I won't (largely due to my religious background), Unless it's not a bribe or illegal fee. But the average follower will. Remember, the N300,000 (if illegal) was requested because they know the follower is willing to give. Now imagine what will happen if every follower bidding for that contract refuses to give that money...

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 2:31pm On Dec 21, 2013
Audience

Are you absolutely convinced? Please ask your questions.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 2:32pm On Dec 21, 2013
boay: Judges,

Please start compiling the result.

You may forward the compiled result to tonyboay@gmail.com
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 21, 2013
@chynazom you talked about police bribery, are you going to endanger your life for that sum of money you can afford? you don't argue or talk foul to a man holding gun. Many have been victims of 'accidental discharge'
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 2:42pm On Dec 21, 2013
Debaters

Keep responding to judges' and audience's questions as the judges compile the result.

Thanks
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Oluwacolded: 2:52pm On Dec 21, 2013
@prince justice what happened to june 12 election did it count?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by chynazom(f): 2:53pm On Dec 21, 2013
Fentoluwa: @chynazom you talked about police bribery, are you going to endanger your life for that sum of money you can afford? you don't argue or talk foul to a man holding gun. Many have been victims of 'accidental discharge'
I must not argue or talk 'foul'...as long as I don't give the bribe. Most times the accidental discharge event occur when argument ensues.
But how many Nigerians are willing to take the pain of the delay that comes with such bold step?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Application For Niger Delta University's Screening Process Begins / I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? / Tasued Post Ume Is Out! Check In For More Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.